InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Waiting on a Wish ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

CHAPTER 6

“So, are demons as good in bed as everyone says they are?”

Kagome choked, her tea burning her throat as surprise caused her to gulp instead of sip. Sputtering, she slammed the cup down, the hot liquid sloshing over the rim as she glared at her friend through a coughing fit. People walking on the sidewalk glanced over in concern as they passed, and other patrons in the little outdoor café had turned to see the source of the disturbance. Blushing furiously, Kagome waved weakly to show that she was all right, patting her chest as she forced herself to relax and allow the fit to subside naturally.

She waited for their attention to turn elsewhere before she turned on her best friend, who sat across the table waiting patiently--a small, knowing smile on her lips. “And just how would I know that, Sango?” Kagome hissed, ducking her burning face as low as possible while still glowering at the young hunter. “I’ve never been in bed with a demon.”

“Really?” Sango looked mildly surprised, then studied her curiously. “How interesting. And here I thought--after what we talked about the other night…”

Kagome groaned, picking up her chopsticks and attacking the food lying uneaten on her plate, trying to ignore the redness staining her cheeks. “I honestly don’t know what I was thinking, calling you like that. Now I’ll never hear the end of it.”

“Of course you won‘t. So you might as well tell me everything now and save yourself at least some difficulty.” Sango waited, then sniffed at Kagome’s hesitation. “Come on, Kagome. I just thought we could…talk about something important in your life. Or…maybe something, period. I’m tired of sitting here and talking to myself.”

Kagome felt her blush deepen, and she poked at a pickled radish with her chopsticks. “I’ve been listening,” she muttered defensively.

Sango’s eyebrows shot up in perfect imitation of a certain monk they both knew, and she nodded slowly. “Of course you have.” She paused. “So if I asked you what I’ve been talking about for the last ten minutes or so, you could tell me.”

“Verbatim.” Avoiding eye contact, Kagome delicately nibbled at the radish. After about thirty seconds of Sango’s silent, knowing stare, she broke.

They both knew she couldn’t.

With an exasperated sigh, she threw her chopsticks onto her plate, and strummed her fingers on the table. “I’m sorry, Sango. I haven’t forgotten how sacred we agreed these lunches were to us…and I want to talk, I do. It’s…I’m a little…distracted, and…” she trailed off helplessly, and returned to picking at her food. “I’m afraid I’m not very good conversation today.”

Sango softened immediately, reaching out a hand to rest reassuringly on Kagome’s arm. “Kagome…I’m worried about you. I know InuYasha. I know what’s been going on between you two, and I know what he’s like. I want to make sure that you’re ok.”

Kagome sighed. “I’m fine, Sango. Really, I’m ok. It’s just…” She frowned down at her food.

Sango blinked. “Just…”

“It’s just that I’m so confused!” Kagome’s voice burst out in quiet frustration. “I just met him--a patient that I took care of one night, and let go the next day, just like I always do.“ Her brows furrowed. “Except I didn’t. He stayed with me. I couldn’t get him out of my head. I couldn’t stop wondering if he was ok.” Her voice dropped to a murmur. “And then he came back, and…it’s like…I feel like I was waiting for him. Like I found a piece of myself I didn’t even know I was missing.”

“Kagome….”

Bemused midnight eyes focused pensively on her friend. “It’s so strange, Sango. I’ve got this feeling…as if I’ve known him for a long time. It’s so comfortable to just be with him. I’ve never felt that before.” She paused, biting at her lip for a moment. “I know he seems really rough with everyone, that he’s rude and impatient. But I think he’s nicer than he tries to make everyone think he is. I’ve seen him be very gentle and kind.”

“He has a temper, too,” Sango broke in warningly, picking up her cup with a frown. “Be careful of it. He’s impulsive when he’s angry, and he doesn’t always think through what he says--or does.”

“Does he?” Kagome leaned forward, resting her chin on her hand, her gaze still distracted. “That’s what Miroku said, too. Somehow, I’m not really surprised. I wouldn’t mind seeing it, I think.”

Sango’s cup stopped halfway to her mouth. “Miroku?”

Kagome nodded. “Mm-hmm. He called me this morning. We had little talk about InuYasha--although, he didn’t tell me much more than you did.”

“Really?” Sango stared down at her cup, grumbling to herself. “Humph. So much for not interfering.” She looked up, startled. “You wouldn’t?”

Kagome shrugged. “Getting angry means you care, right? It would be nice to know if he really cares or not, something that lets me know what he thinks of this--of us.” She sighed again, softly, and rolled her chopsticks around absently with her fingers. “I’m a little afraid, I think. I don’t just like being with him, you know--it’s a craving. I feel a need to be in his presence, and I miss him when he’s not around. Even now, sitting with you, a part of me is wondering where he is and what he’s doing.” Her brows dipped in a vexed little frown. “I just saw him last night, Sango!”

Sango’s face filled with empathy. She understood what Kagome was saying completely. She’d gone through the same kind of emotional roller coaster with Miroku--not that she’d ever admit it to him. The feeling of instant connection was strange, disconcerting, and frightening until you got used to it.

“It feels like more than just sex, though.”

Sango’s eyebrow’s lifted in surprise at the sudden comment, and she sent Kagome an inquiring look. Kagome colored slightly, but she continued, sounding out her thoughts.

“I…Sango, it’s never been like this before. I’ve never even been tempted by anyone else before. With InuYasha…” Kagome tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, glancing at Sango briefly before fixing her eyes on the hands folded in her lap. “I lose myself every time he touches me. A look, or a word, and…it’s like being intoxicated, without the numbing effect. I’ve never felt anything so intense or demanding…” She broke off, her color heightening, not quite believing the words coming out of her mouth. “And it’s the same for him. I know it is.”

Sango's eyes had softened with concern as she listened. "Kagome…" She trailed off helplessly, staring. After a pause, her eyes narrowed, gazing thoughtfully at her friend. "Is there something I can do? Maybe if I get Miroku to talk to him…get him to leave you alone--or at least to stop pressuring you."

Kagome was shaking her head before Sango could finish her offer. “No. Don’t interfere. I don’t think this is something you can stop, and anyway I don’t really want it to. I’m just having a hard time understanding it. It’s only been four days, and already I’m--” She broke off, blushing again. “I have this strange feeling…as if it’s right, or inevitable that we met. I almost feel that I need him…“ She paused, her brows twisting as she considered her words. “…or maybe that he needs me. Whatever‘s going on, I’m sure I can‘t back away now.”

Her expression suddenly cleared and she gave Sango a small, reassuring smile. “It’s all right. I’m just missing something--probably something important, and probably because he doesn’t like to tell me much about himself. Whatever it is, I’ll figure it out--hopefully soon. Things are moving so fast, I can barely keep up. I feel so off balance, and it would be nice to have my equilibrium back.”

Sango gave a small, guilty frown at her plate of food. “Maybe you just need to figure out what he wants from you,” she suggested, her tone subdued.

Kagome shook her head again, a wry smile forming on her lips. “I know what he wants from me. I think what I need to figure out is why.”

“That’s what I thought, too.” Sango murmured to herself quietly, then looked up at her friend, her eyes glinting. “But do you really?” She hesitated. “Kagome…listen, there’s something you should--”

A soft musical tone chimed through the air, startling them both. Kagome frowned, reaching underneath her chair and bringing her small bag up onto her lap. The ringing stopped just as she pulled her cell phone from the inner pocket. She flipped the face and frowned at her screen. “Oh no.” Her brows wrinkled with worry. She dialed another number, and held the phone to her ear, staring across the table.

Sango’s eyebrows rose in surprise. “Is everything all right?”

“That was Mrs. Hashimoto’s cell number. She only calls me directly if there’s an emergency.” She paused, her eyes going unfocused as someone answered. “Miso! It’s Kagome. Has Mrs. Hashimoto…” She stopped, listened, then nodded, her brows scrunching together. “Uh-huh. Ok…yes. Call her back and tell her I’ll be there in about twenty minutes. I’ll drop by on my way--have my medical bag ready for me? And call in someone to cover my shift while I’m gone. Yes…arigato.”

She flipped the phone, and focused on Sango. “Oh, Sango, I’m sorry. I have to go. One of the children came down with the flu the other day, and now more have gotten sick.”

She shook her head and rummaged inside her purse. “Miso said Mrs. Hashimoto didn’t sound so well herself. I was worried about this. Kina is a hanyou. If she caught this particular strain, then the others could be susceptible too. I guess I didn’t get to her in time.” She stood rapidly, throwing money onto the table. “I’ll call you later, ok?”

Sango shook her head, watching her best friend as she dashed through the tables to reach the sidewalk. Not bothering to go all the way around through the front of the restaurant, she climbed over the low hedge bordering the café’s tabled area and onto the sidewalk, splendidly ignoring the curious stares of the other patrons.

No one could ever doubt her dedication to her profession. Kagome would work herself sick for her patients--especially those orphanage children.

She sighed. Well, Miroku was right again. He usually was when it came to InuYasha. Still…she really should sit down and have a talk with one of those two. They were both making the whole thing harder on themselves than they had to, and she hated to see Kagome in so much turmoil. Maybe she could corner one of them later tonight.

She frowned. Kagome. She wasn’t feeling too charitable toward InuYasha at the moment.

Her own cell phone chimed from the bag hooked over her chair. She retrieved it, puckering in confusion when she read the message. “Miroku?” The message was short, to the point, and very uninformative:

‘Council meeting room. Hunting dress. Now. Hurry. ’

Hunting? Hmmmm. Maybe we can talk tomorrow night.

Sighing, she picked up the bill and called over the waiter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Dr. Higurashi! Oh, thank the gods you’re here! Half of the children are sick, the poor things, and mother has a very high fever. I can’t get her to slow down taking care of the children, and I‘m afraid she‘ll end up worse than the little ones if she doesn‘t get some rest.”

Kagome blinked at the vaguely familiar, agitated young woman who accosted her as soon as she walked in the front door of the orphanage. Setting down her bag, she glanced around the empty entranceway, sifting through her mind until she identified the woman as Mrs. Hashimoto‘s grown daughter. They both had the same harried expressions and perpetually flyaway bun. She frequently helped her mother at the orphanage, but Kagome had only met her once.

Half the children are sick?” She could feel her heart sinking. The fact that Mrs. Hashimoto was sick as well as the children was a bad sign. Concern suddenly clouded her features as she looked around again. She’d wondered why Shippou hadn’t come charging at her as he usually did. “Shippou?”

Mrs. Hashimoto’s daughter noted the doctor’s worry and shook her head reassuringly. “Don’t worry. He’s fine. He’s upstairs, helping Lady Kaede treat the ones with the highest fevers.” She smiled faintly. “He’s been quite a helper today. He’s the one who convinced mother that she might need my help, and ever since I arrived, he’s been leading the other children, keeping them out of the way. He’d managed to get all the sick children into a separate wing of the house, and he had talked my mother into a chair by the time I walked in.”

Kagome’s focus latched onto one phrase, and her eyes widened. “Kaede’s here?” Dismay and relief warred openly on her face. Damn.

Mrs. Hashimoto’s daughter nodded, oblivious to Kagome’s less-than-enthusiastic reaction. “She arrived not long after me, and has been trying to take over for mother for the last few hours. She’s been absolutely wonderful. She is the one who had me summon you.”

Kagome pressed her eyes closed, slightly irritated. “Summon…did she?” Another sigh, this one resolute. “Oh well…I’ll get your mother settled into a bed. You go take care of the children who aren’t sick. Keep them downstairs--since the sick ones are already upstairs, we’ll use that as the quarantine area.”

The young woman nodded gratefully, turning to disappear into the back of the house.

Kagome found the stairs, and with one final, deeply resigned sigh, she started climbing, her feet dragging slightly. Great. Lady Kaede. I‘m sure she did a wonderful job with the children--she always does. And it really is a good thing she‘s here--she knows so much more than I do. She reached the second floor landing and glanced idly down one of the hallways that led off in opposite directions. “But I’ll bet she didn’t make you listen to pain-in-the-ass lectures all day about the importance of honing your so-called spiritual power, now did she?”

“Ume has no spiritual powers to speak of, Kagome. I would not burden her with such pain-in-the-ass lectures, as they would be unwarranted, and quite a waste of both our time and my breath.”

Kagome winced, turning on the heel of her sandal.

A short, heavy-set elderly woman watched her expectantly from the hallway leading to the children‘s rooms, her wrinkled expression calm and slightly amused. Her black eyes sparkled with a knowing twinkle. Her thick gray hair was gathered into an elegant bun low on her head, and her long-skirted, expensive gray business suit fit nicely around her aged figure. She wore nothing but stockings on her feet.

Kagome closed her eyes, allowing herself a brief, silent groan. Fantastic. Here we go again. Opening her eyes, she shook her head--and couldn’t help the fond, spontaneous smile prompted by the old woman‘s presence. “Gomenasai, Kaede. That was completely unfair of me. It’s an honor to see you again. Arigato for your consideration in coming to help us with the children.” She bowed. “Your expertise is always greatly appreciated.”

Kaede smiled. “It is only right that I would provide aid, Kagome. As you know, I have a personal interest in these children, and I will always help in whatever way this old body can.” She gestured down the bare wooden hallway behind her. “Mrs. Hashimoto has already been convinced that a small rest will do her good, and the children who are sick are all resting comfortably in their beds.”

Kagome relaxed slightly. As much as she might sometimes dread the older woman‘s gentle lectures and stubborn insistence, she held a genuine fondness for her--and an awe-filled respect for her wealth of knowledge and skills in traditional healing. Working with her on a medical level was always a learning experience. “Have you given them anything yet?”

“Shippou is serving them a little of the broth I made for the children when I arrived. It will help bring down their fevers. After you examine them, we shall have to determine the treatments. Because all the children who are sick are hanyou, we will likely need a separate mixture for each child.”

Kagome nodded, turning towards the children‘s rooms further down the hallway, hoping to escape the usual battle of wills.

“This will serve as an excellent opportunity to put your training into practice, Kagome.”

Kagome sighed patiently, not stopping or turning around as she headed for the nearest door. Oh well. Didn’t really think I could get away.

Guilt plagued her conscience every time they had this conversation. She felt a deep affection for the old woman. Kaede had done so much good in her life--putting her powerful name behind many different children’s causes, supporting the orphanage and the clinic with both her time and her money, always ready with a sound word of advice. Kagome and everyone she worked with owed her a great deal, but…

“Lady Kaede, I’ve already given you my answer. Please forgive me, but I don’t have either the time or the inclination to train spiritual powers that I may or may not have. I cannot take any more time out for pointless spiritual training. I already don’t have enough time to get everything done in a day.”

She paused at the door, meeting calm black eyes with sincerity. “And with great respect, I can’t see the need for it. I’ve managed to get through my entire life without the spiritual powers you sense in me. I think I can manage the rest of it without developing them further. Please don’t take offense--I have nothing but respect for your own spiritual powers and your wisdom--but I have no desire to continue this training you insist on.”

“Kagome, your power is very real, and very strong. It is both your responsibility and your fate to master what lies inside you. When the time comes, you will not have a choice.”

Kagome breathed out slowly. No argument--logical or otherwise--had ever managed to penetrate the older woman‘s single-minded determination on the subject. “And how would I ever use it, Kaede? I can‘t feel it, I don‘t know what it is--I can‘t use it! We‘ve already tried, remember? What‘s the point?” Frustrated, Kagome shoved the door open.

A small ball of orange hair and blond fur jumped out of the doorway and into Kagome’s arms as soon as she slid it aside.

“Kagome! You’re finally here.” Shippou shook his head sadly. “I told Mrs. Hashimoto to call you as soon as she got sick--but she wouldn’t listen to me. And I’ve been helping all the grown-ups all day long. I even helped keep the children downstairs so they wouldn’t get sick too.”

Kagome smiled with delight, hugging him close, relieved to be free of a never-ending subject. “That’s wonderful, Shippou. And all that without getting sick too.”

Shippou nodded firmly, blue eyes shining. “Of course not, Kagome. I’m a youkai, remember? I never get sick. Besides, I’ve learned a lot from you and Kaede obaa-san. I was a huge help today. Right, Kaede?”

Kaede nodded sagely. “The boy was indeed a great helper, Kagome. It is a very good thing you trained him so well. He recognized Mrs. Hashimoto’s symptoms before they became bad enough to threaten her health. Strange that Shippou would need knowledge of medicine and healing, don‘t you think? One would think that he could live his entire life without ever knowing anything about it. Of course, he wouldn‘t have been able to help today, and the situation would have gotten much worse than it is now. Yes, I would say it is a very good thing you taught Shippou something of your craft.” She paused regally. “Of course, it is an even better thing that he was willing to learn.”

With another sage nod, Kaede swept passed her into the room and began checking on the fevered children lying on their futons.

With a harassed sigh, Kagome followed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I t wasn‘t until early into the morning hours that Kagome was finally satisfied that she and Kaede had done all they could for the children who were sick. They had worked hard through the afternoon and into the evening, determining the best treatments, and making each child their own specific medicinal blend--a dose every few hours until their fever broke, and then with every meal for the next week. So far, it seemed to be working, although they wouldn‘t know for sure until tomorrow.

They’d also done their best to inoculate those who weren’t sick. They were especially lucky that none of the human children had gotten sick. Mrs. Hashimoto would be on bed-rest for several days, but her infection had actually been very light. The human children would have fared much worse. This particular strain of flu seemed to be quite vicious.

Making one last check that none of the healthier children were showing symptoms, Kagome wandered into one of the multiple living rooms--square, comfortable rooms with rugs and durable furniture. Her gaze skimmed the room, glancing over the windows lining one wall--noting with disappointment that the trees outside strangled most of the moonlight, making it hard to see--and skipping over the low couch on one side, dismissing its use. She focused instead on the nearest comfortable armchair, and plopped her worn-out body down onto the wide, cushioned seat. She kicked her sandals from her aching feet, happy to be off them for a moment. Tucking her bare toes into a corner, she allowed her body to relax, grateful that she wore an old, comfortable pair of jeans instead of her customary skirt.

She only intended to rest her feet for a minute before she walked herself home.

Sighing, she leaned her head down against the side rest, allowing her mind to wander undisciplined, enjoying the silence that signified most of the children now slept. Her thoughts skipped around the various tasks she had to do the next day briefly, then stopped on the substantial walk she still had ahead of her. It wouldn’t be pleasant so late at night.

Glancing around the darkened room, she chuckled softly, even though she couldn’t find a wall clock. Well, not so pleasant this early in the morning, anyway. At least I have an afternoon shift tomorrow. She yawned, stretching her jaw. Still, it would be a nuisance when she was this tired.

Surprisingly, she found herself reluctant to walk home alone in the dark. Somehow, it didn’t seem wise anymore. She sighed. InuYasha--his fault, damn him. Still--I wish InuYasha were here. He’d tell me how stupid I am for waiting so long, but he’d walk me home. Of course, he’d probably grouse the whole way. She suddenly remembered the end result of their previous walk, and an involuntary grin tipped the corners of her mouth. Hmmm. Maybe it’s a good thing he’s not here. Talk about something that could tire me out. The grin faded. I wonder where he is, though. I didn’t see him at all today. I felt sure he would show up again at some point in the day.

Annoyed with her mild distress over his absence, she forced her mind away from the hanyou--instead, mentally reviewing the herbal charts she and Kaede had developed earlier in the evening.

Her eyes drifted closed. Just for a moment.

A few moments later, her body stilled; her breathing evened out.

She didn’t stir when small hands threw a large blanket over her, or when a warm body with orange hair hopped up into her lap. But as he snuggled in, her arms moved to enfold the small, furry bundle, hugging tightly. Both creatures sighed and relaxed, comfortable and content with the arrangement.

Around them, the house remained utterly silent; minutes later, all lights were finally extinguished, and those few still awake within--both old and young--fell into weary slumber.

No one was aware when, about an hour later, a solitary figure effortlessly leapt the fence protecting the property, landing lightly with a quiet swish of fabric. No one heard the flat, dull thud of bare feet on a bare wooden floor, or saw the figure pause in an open doorway. One clawed hand clutched tensely around the sword secured close to the lean waist; soft, white ears twisted anxiously. A sensitive nose tested the air, and an alert, tense amber gaze swept the deep shadows of the room, finally settling on the chair in the corner.

Allowing himself a small sigh of relief, he let just a bit of the tautness seep from his muscles. He shook his head, suppressing a snort. Another chair. Why did I waste my time worrying about you? Damn stupid girl. What the hell is wrong with your bed? Or the couch, for the gods’ sake--there’s one right across from you!

He walked quietly over to stare down at the two individuals curled adorably around each other in the wide, well-cushioned chair. He stood motionless, watching them breathe, their faces close together and peaceful in sleep. With each gentle rise of her chest, more of the apprehension that had gripped his body slipped away. His hand reached out impulsively, the temptation to touch momentarily getting the better of him.

A sudden shock jolted his body, stealing the air from his lungs. His hand fisted briefly in the material of one abundant sleeve as his chest pounded in reaction. Golden eyes squeezed together in a brief blink as the familiar pain cut through his mind. He froze, waiting it out.

It only lasted the merest moment--a breath, a second of time--before it was gone, done. The hand dropped back to his side, and his eyes opened to stare again, his expression soft, poignant, troubled. So…this too, huh?

Swallowing, he closed his eyes and exhaled heavily, shaking his head to clear it. Turning, he pulled the sword from his side and allowed his body to drop fluidly into a folded up sitting position, his back resting against the side of the chair, head leaning against an arm. Holding up the weapon by its black wooden sheath, he stared at it, his brows drawing together in a serious frown.

Finally, he tucked the length of the sword against his body, one hand grasping it tightly as it rested against his shoulder. His head lowered and his eyes closed--but his senses remained alert throughout the night, and his hand never moved from its grip on the sheath.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eme rging somewhat from her hazy dream state, Kagome’s eyelids parted slightly, allowing herself to see out a window of two narrow slits. A familiar figure leaned against the wall directly across from her, silvery-white hair illuminated in one of the many rays of sunlight diffused throughout the room. His arms hid from sight, folded inside the brilliant red of an oh-so-familiar haori. One bare foot tapped impatiently, his features arranged into a disgruntled scowl aimed directly at her.

She stared for a moment, her mind unable to comprehend why the figure looked so familiar and seemed so important. After a half-hearted struggle, she gave up, deciding that she was still dreaming. Her lids promptly lost their fight with gravity, sliding back into place.

An irritated growl interrupted her mental drift, pulling her back abruptly. “Oi! Kagome! Are you planning to sleep all day?”

The gruff tone raked over her senses like one of his claws, the immediate tingle in her stomach convincing her of its veracity.

Midnight eyes popped mostly open and she blinked twice. “InuYasha?” Sleep added a slight husk to her voice.

“Keh! You were expecting someone else?”

She blinked again and rubbed her fingers over her eyes, taking in the chair she slept in, and the comfortable living area she immediately identified as belonging at the orphanage. She sat up. Oh no. I fell asleep. What time is it? A blanket fell from her shoulders to her waist, and she was only mildly surprised to find Shippou curled up comfortably on her lap, snoring quietly.

She reached out a hand to stroke his puffy blond tail, and her gaze went back to InuYasha. She blinked at him again, confused and still half-asleep, her brow furrowing. The last thing she remembered was wishing that InuYasha would come--and now here he was. It‘s almost as if my wish brought him here.

The beginnings of a smile formed on her lips at the ridiculous thought. “Well I certainly wasn’t expecting you. What are you doing here?”

His scowl deepened as his golden eyes narrowed. “Waiting for you to wake up, baka. What the hell were you thinking, anyway?”

Her eyebrows shot up. “Thinking?”

“I couldn’t find you last night! You weren’t at home. You weren’t at work, and none of those idiots you work with could tell me where the fuck you went. The only other place I could think of was here, but if you hadn‘t been here--if you’d been in trouble somewhere--it could have taken me too long to track your scent through the city. Where the fuck is your brain? Next time be where you’re supposed to be!”

“What?” Kagome felt her jaw drop. “You’re kidding, right? I’m a doctor, InuYasha--I‘m supposed to be here, where all the sick people are!”

“Stupid. You could have gotten hurt. Tell me when you change your plans, godsdammit!”

Her cheeks flushed. Well, there it was. The thing that both of her friends had taken care to warn her about. She’d finally been graced with his unreasonable temper.

She couldn’t believe she’d actually wanted to see it. He was right--stupid her. How dare he pull her from a sound sleep, then growl at her for something utterly ridiculous?

Her mouth snapped shut, and her eyes sparked as she turned her fiercest glare on him. Indignation carried her out of the chair and onto her feet, completely ignoring Shippou, who sprang reflexively to the ground at her sudden movement, barely awake. The young kitsune stood on the floor, blinking sleepy blue eyes up at them as he stared, disoriented at the sudden yank from slumber.

“Excuse me, but for your information this situation happened to be an emergency. The children are all very sick, and I had to be here to help. Who gave you the right to come barging in here yelling at me at…at…” she glanced around, but still couldn’t find a clock, “…at whatever time it is in the morning, when you never said anything about wanting to see me last night?”

“Besides--” she turned her glare back at InuYasha, whose look had gone from angry to apprehensive in three seconds flat as he pressed his back to the wall, eyes wide, startled eyebrows raised “--just how am I supposed to tell you anything?” She advanced on him, one step for every point. “I don’t know where you live, I don’t where you spend your free time, I don’t have your phone number--InuYasha, I don’t even know your family name! So just exactly how do you expect me to let you know whenever I have to actually live my life?”

A strange look passed over his features--some unusual mixture of surprise, confusion and embarrassment. “You…don’t have my private cell phone number?”

Kagome threw up her hands. “Of course I don’t have your cell phone number, baka! How would I if you never gave it to me?”

He scowled again, defensively lowering his ears and averting his gaze. “Well…I…thought you had it,” he mumbled.

Kagome felt her mouth open again, this time in utter amazement. She stared at him, her eyes wide. Thirty seconds ticked by in silence, and his glower deepened as he began to squirm under her gaze. Finally, she shook her head and turned on her bare heel, stalking from the room, eyes still blazing, muttering angrily to herself. “Baka. He thought I had it, he says. What kind of answer is that…I didn‘t even know he had a cell phone!”

InuYasha watched her trail off into another part of the house, fuming aloud at him. He waited until she was completely out of sight before he let out a long breath, sagging against the wall, glancing askance at the ceiling. “Shit. That was fast. Worse, he had probably deserved it. Maybe. Keh. And people say I have a temper.

“Baka.”

Golden eyes dropped swiftly to narrow on the tiny kitsune, who shook his head accusingly as he glared up at the hanyou.

What did you say, shrimp?” His voice dropped to a low warning rumble.

The little fox-demon darted for the door, silent on furry paws. At the doorway, he turned, throwing InuYasha a disdainful look. “You’re an idiot. You made her mad. I was right, InuYasha--you are too stupid for Kagome. You were probably lying about being a hunter, too. You‘re not reliable enough to hunt youkai.”

In a flash, the hanyou was across the room. A clawed hand wrapped around the back of the kitsune’s tail, hauling the squealing kit into the air, bringing them fright-to-scowl. InuYasha scowled bad-temperedly, his lip curling to reveal his fangs. “You wanna say that again, runt?” His tone made it clear that repeating the insult would be a very bad idea.

Shippou squeaked, his blue eyes widening to impossibly large, crocodile tears beginning to pool in their depths. His mouth opened to wail, and InuYasha snarled, his fist rising threateningly. “Try it,” he taunted.

“Takagawa InuYasha. Kindly do not take your frustration out on the child. I am very fond of him--and I daresay that Kagome is as well.”

InuYasha started, his anger temporarily overwhelmed by surprise. He dropped the kitsune, who immediately scampered over to the source of the stern, weathered voice that had spoken his name. Tucking his hands into his sleeves, he turned to face the woman who studied him from the hallway. Shippou had placed himself safely behind her long gray skirt. He ignored the glaring kit, and stepped out to stand in front of her, his tawny gaze studying the older woman curiously. It‘s been a long time since I‘ve heard my full name. How the hell does she know who I am?

He didn’t recognize her. He was pretty sure he’d never smelled her scent before--although, something familiar about it nipped at his brain. He frowned in annoyance, his expression cautious.

He grunted, a neutral sound, as he met her knowing black gaze. “Who are you, obaa-san?”

One gray brow rose slightly. “You do not know me, InuYasha? Fair enough. We have never met, you and I. I am Makiguchi Kaede, head of the Makiguchi group. We provide the funds for both this orphanage and the clinic that Kagome works at--as well as other things. I am also a miko. It is my duty and my pleasure to help those in need, and I often visit the children who live here.”

InuYasha looked startled. “A miko?” Yes, now that she said it, he could sense her energy--although it was much fainter than Kagome’s.

“And you are the infamous hunter, InuYasha--the half-breed son of the great Lord InuTaisho and his mate Izayoi, both of whom were killed many years ago. That was a tragic day indeed for all involved in the Alliance. I have often wondered what you would look like.”

InuYasha’s teeth gritted, his eyes narrowing slightly through the old woman’s speech. “I don’t know why you think you know me, old woman, but--”

“I do not know you, InuYasha.”

He frowned.

Kaede smiled slightly. “But I know of you. You seem to have quite an interest in our young doctor. What exactly is it that you want from her?”

His eyebrows dipped low at the question, his features fierce. “Tch! Since when is that any of your business, baba?”

Kaede remained unimpressed. “She is an intriguing young woman, is she not? Quite a brilliant doctor, with a kind spirit. She works so hard for her patients--she puts her heart into every wound or illness she treats. I assume your interest in her is more than platonic, considering how closely you’ve been watching over her all morning.“ She watched him closely. “Be warned, InuYasha. Kagome has great power contained inside of her. Anyone who takes an interest in her must be prepared to deal with such power.”

“Yeah, I know already. Kagome’s a miko. So what?”

Kaede shook her head. “Kagome is not just any miko, InuYasha. As a hanyou, you should be able to sense her power. Can you?”

An exasperated sigh. “Where are you going with this, old woman?”

“You can sense it, can you not?”

He hesitated, then rolled his eyes. “Of course I can. So what? It’s not that strong. What does any of it have to do with me?”

Her eyes chided him gently. “You should learn to listen more closely when someone speaks, InuYasha. Kagome is not yet able to control her powers, Hunter. What you sense from her now is just the smallest portion of what lies dormant within her spirit. There is a great spiritual power within that she is unable to tap.”

InuYasha scowled, then stilled as a possible significance of her words occurred to him.

His eyes widened, and he paled slightly. No. It can’t be.

“The time will come when it will awaken, and when it does…”

Every muscle in his body tensed. His jaw clenched against the mere thought. Impossible. He spoke, his voice quiet, tone carefully restrained. “What kind of power are we talking about, Kaede?”

You would know far better than I, InuYasha.”

He swallowed. That meant…“Shit. You mean that she…” He fell silent, absorbing her statement completely. Realization struck, and shock slackened his features. Suspicious golden eyes darted to hers. Her black gaze was still calm and serene, giving away nothing. His fists clenched around the forearms hidden within his sleeves. “You…“ He scowled blackly. “How do you know, old woman?”

Again, Kaede smiled that enigmatic smile. “A person very dear to me told me many years ago.”

For the second time in less than a minute, InuYasha stilled unnaturally as he recognized why her scent bothered him so much. Makiguchi. Oh…fuck.

Brief, thought-numbing pain accompanied the realization, slicing into his consciousness. The moment passed over his face--the slightest of shadows, gone as soon as it came; a minor glazing of his eyes was the only indication of his momentary distraction. He refocused on the old miko instantly, allowing smoldering anger into his amber depths as they clashed with shrewd obsidian ones.

“Stay out of it, obaa-san.” His tone was little more than a deep growl. “I’m handling it.”

Kaede tilted her head, frowning slightly. “InuYasha, Kagome refuses to continue the training I wish to give her. Unless she learns to harness the power inside of her…”

He snarled, turning to ram his fist into the wall behind him. The wood cracked, splintered, but held. “I get your point, grandma.”

Kaede nodded. “I have no doubt you do, InuYasha. I suppose you understand better than anyone.”

He growled again.

Silence stretched between them, and Shippou, who had already perched himself comfortably on Kaede’s shoulder, eyed them both with confusion. He looked at InuYasha’s rigid back, and the damaged place on the wall where his fist still planted firmly against the wood. Then he looked at Kaede, who seemed completely unruffled by the sudden, violent act. He shook his head, totally mystified. Adults in general made very little sense.

InuYasha’s ears perked, and he turned to stare warily at the end of the hallway.

Footsteps sounded moments before Kagome appeared, hurrying towards them. From the look on her face, her temper hadn’t yet settled. “InuYasha! Why didn’t you tell me how late it was! Kami help me, it’s almost noon! My shift starts at two. I still have to go home, shower, and change my clothes. You could have woken me sooner, baka!”

He face went from wary to incredulous. “What! You’re the one who wanted to sleep all day. It’s not my fault that you don‘t know when to rest!”

She pivoted in front of him. Fiery eyes narrowed into a frown, she poked a finger into his chest. “You followed me here, didn’t you? You know my work schedule too, don’t you? You’re the one who woke me up so rudely in the first place, right? How much effort would it have taken on your part to yell at me a little sooner?”

She threw up her hands. “Ooooooh! Never mind.” Grumbling, she whirled around him and into the living room. “At this rate, I’ll be lucky if I can even find the time to eat--and I haven’t had any breakfast, either.” Her footsteps stopped abruptly, and her voice drifted back hesitantly. “Ummmm….InuYasha? Do you know where my sandals are?”

The second she was out of sight, he slouched back against the wall. The anger slid from his face, and a vague, brooding look took its place as he stared pensively at the floor. “Under your chair, Kagome.” His voice had a strange, subdued quality to it.

Kaede and Shippou both watched him curiously. He glanced up and scowled when he caught their scrutiny.

Kagome returned to the doorway, sandals in hand. “Kaede, I have to hurry, or I’ll be late to the clinic. Please keep an eye on the children for me, and I’ll be back tonight to check on their progress.”

Kaede nodded. “Of course, Kagome. I’ve already had my rooms prepared. I had intended to spend some time here anyway.” Her eyes cut briefly to InuYasha. “I believe that I’ll be needed here for a while.”

InuYasha ignored her, while Kagome smiled warmly. “Arigato, Kaede. I really appreciate it.”

Shippou‘s pleading gaze turned on Kagome. “Kagome do you really have to go? Can’t Kaede obaa-san call and tell them that you don’t have to be there? She does own the clinic, after all.”

Kagome frowned. “Shippou! I have patients at work. I can’t just not show up because I’m tired, or because I wish I could be somewhere else. Besides, it would be wrong to use my friendship with Kaede to shirk my responsibilities.”

“Oh.” His face fell.

She softened immediately. She found herself unable to stay even mildly cross with the little kitsune for long. “Hey, Shippou. You’ve been such a wonderful help with Mrs. Hashimoto and everyone getting sick. Maybe, as a reward, we can go out for ice cream tomorrow.”

Shippou’s countenance brightened and he nodded, content with the promise of an eventual treat.

“Are you done yet? Let‘s go already.”

Kagome glanced over at InuYasha, who still scowled at them from his place against the wall. “You’re walking me home? But you don’t need to. It’s daylight. I’ll be perfectly fine walking home by myself.”

“Keh. I’m not walking you home. I’m carrying you.”

Images from a few nights before assaulted her brain. Kagome felt the blush that stained her cheeks. “You’re not going to carry me again! Not in broad daylight! People will see!”

InuYasha sighed impatiently. “Not like before, dummy. That won’t get us anywhere fast. You’re worried about being late, right? I’ll take you home and get you to work on time. Trust me, my way is faster than yours.”

Kagome looked at him uncertainly. “Well…” She was unsure if she wanted him carrying her anywhere. She wasn’t quite over her annoyance with his earlier attitude.

Shaking his head, he grabbed her elbow and steered her gently towards the front of the house.

“Take good care of Kagome, InuYasha. The city is not safe for anyone today.”

He snorted, not stopping. “Don’t you think I know that, baba?”

Kagome pulled up short, twisting to look at Kaede over InuYasha‘s arm. “What’s so dangerous about today?”

“You have not heard, Kagome?” Kaede lifted an inquiring brow. “The city was invaded by youkai yesterday.”

Kagome looked startled. “What? Another rogue attack?”

“Indeed. It seems that quite a number of rogues terrorized the city last night. The youkai were mostly low-level, but dangerous nonetheless. They swarmed several districts, destroying homes and businesses--some were even eating people. It was quite a hazardous situation last night.”

Kagome frowned. “But I didn’t see--”

“According to the news reports, the Alliance had already contracted with some of their best hunters to put a stop to it. Apparently, several teams have been hunting since yesterday afternoon.”

Kagome drew in a sharp breath, her gaze flying immediately to InuYasha. Her eyes widened as she took in his traditional dress, the sword at his waist, and realized their significance. Inscrutable golden eyes met hers briefly before turning away.

The older woman looked at InuYasha. “Most of the youkai were captured and destroyed, but a large-scale battle took place not far from here, and several hunters were injured. Some of the youkai escaped, and remain somewhere inside the city limits. Alliance and Japanese authorities are urging the utmost caution by all citizens until the remaining rogues are caught.”

Kaede shook her head slowly in a very good imitation of the fox perched on her shoulder. “I imagine it is a terrible thing, Kagome, to know that someone you care about is wandering somewhere in the city, completely unaware of the danger they could be putting themselves in.” She focused knowingly on the young doctor. “I imagine it could make one quite…irrational.”

Kagome turned her gaze back to InuYasha’s suddenly uncomfortable, self-conscious expression. Her features softened, and a small smile curved her lips. “Yes, Kaede. I suppose it is.” She glanced over at the two in the hallway and bowed. “I will be careful. Thank you for the warning.”

Curling her hands into the billowing sleeve of InuYasha‘s haori, she tugged his arm in the direction of the front of the mansion. “All right, InuYasha. Show me this faster method of yours.”

Throwing a glance behind him, InuYasha let her pull him out of sight.

Shippou stared down the hallway into which they’d disappeared. “Kaede?”

Kaede sounded pleased. “Yes, Shippou?”

“Is InuYasha really a hunter?”

“InuYasha is perhaps one of the greatest hunters of our time, Shippou.”

Shippou fell quiet for a minute. “That means that InuYasha was fighting with youkai last night before he came looking for Kagome?”

“It is the most likely possibility.” Kaede started moving off in the direction of the kitchen.

Shippou was quiet again, considering the implications. “So InuYasha didn’t lie. And…Kagome was smiling when they left--even though they were fighting just a little bit ago.” He frowned. “Maybe InuYasha isnt absolutely terrible for Kagome after all.” He shook his head. “That could be a fluke, though...I think I’ll wait and see.”

“I think that is an excellent idea, Shippou. It should be very interesting to see how things progress from now on.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Read and review, and please feel free to criticize and make suggestions in your reviews--it’s all about improving the quality. You guys have been awesome do far. *Great, big, exhausted hug for everyone* ^_^

~~Cheers and blessings, Quill