InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Waiting on a Wish ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer (because I’ve been forgetting them <_<): God help poor little InuYasha if I ever do get my hands on him. Good thing Takahashi has him all to herself (legally, of course).

CHAPTER 8

He didn’t realize how serious it was until he arrived at the edge of the city, where the Alliance home sprawled symbolically across the city limits.

The gates were closed. At the very least, that was a very bad sign.

Two-story, exquisitely carved, and heavy as hell, the wooden gates that formed the only way into or out of the expansive Alliance compound had always stood open. Never once in all the years he’d spent there had the hanyou seen them closed; supposedly, they hadn’t actually been closed in hundreds of years. Yet, when InuYasha got to the high, thick walls that protected the private community within, they were shut tight, allowing neither entry nor exit.

To his extreme annoyance, he was forced to wait for the two ugly, hulking lizards on duty to examine him before allowing him entry. It didn’t take them long to recognize him, and they swung the substantial things outward without a word. He ignored them, passing into the courtyard that lay just beyond the entrance. Behind him, the gates crashed closed, and he scowled at his involuntary start, then huffed bad-temperedly as his disgruntled gaze swept the complex.

The view within never changed. The Alliance compound was both beautiful and unique--famous for its artful fusing of nature with architecture. Every inch of land was covered with assorted flowering bushes and trees, providing shade for the scrolling dirt paths that connected the wooden buildings; running water from the many pools and streams that lay hidden in the foliage provided a soothing atmosphere for the youkai and humans who spent their time here. The buildings--with their overhanging roofs, open porches, and covered walkways--blended seamlessly with the elaborate landscaping, providing a distinctive twist that made the Alliance gardens so well-known.

Immediately following the gate was the courtyard--a smooth expanse of expensive white stone that stretched out in a wide half-circle that ended abruptly at the start of the trees and grass. To the right and left, at either edge of the courtyard, twin pagodas rose into the air. Each eight-sided tower represented half of the original sixteen-member ruling Council of the Alliance--eight humans, and eight taiyoukai. Behind each lay a small cluster of buildings, and it was there that most everyday business involving human-youkai relation took place.

Disturbingly, no one loitered in the inner courtyard, nor was anyone visible wandering among the shrubbery. Not a single person--man or demon--could be seen on the grounds.

The atmosphere was fused with an unusual scent today--the thick, austere smell of fear and distress--and unease pricked at his instincts sharply. His teeth went on edge and he growled in annoyance. Usually, Miroku handled any necessary interaction between him and the Alliance, as the two had never mixed well. That InuYasha was even here signified trouble. And the gates…. He glanced around, but still couldn’t detect anyone within his sight or hearing.

That made him even more nervous.

He glanced up, his eyes seeking out his eventual destination--the original castle.

Intended as a place of neutral assembly by the original group of taiyoukai and humans who’d built it, it sat nestled just out of sight, set deep into the side of the mountain. Over the centuries it had been expanded, built up and elaborated on to become the thriving community it was today; but the solitary palace--with its great meeting hall and multiple rooms--remained the central hub of activity in the impressive compound. Straight ahead of him, a series of wide, shallow stone steps, overshadowed by the slightly wild foliage of the garden, led directly from the courtyard to its entrance.

He knew that the Council would be gathered in the great hall, expecting him to report as soon as he arrived.

His eyes tightened, and his lip curled slightly. They could wait. He wanted a little information before he dealt with the Council. Drawing a deep breath, he sorted through the scents in the courtyard until he found the ones he wanted. With a tiny, exasperated shake of his head, he headed straight, making his way swiftly up the long steps to the castle, following his nose to his friends.

Miroku and Sango lingered in the long walkway of the castle’s open front porch--also curiously deserted. Both wore the traditional dress customary on Alliance grounds, although Sango remained in her hunting uniform from the night before, sans Hiraikotsu. Miroku sat on the polished wood floor, his knees drawn up, his multi-ringed staff resting against his shoulder. His head leaned back against one of the thicker, elegantly carved support pillars set at regular intervals along the walkway. Sango stood next to him, leaning against the railing as she stared out into the foliage.

Miroku was saying something, responding to Sango’s last comment. InuYasha’s ears twitched as he caught their low voices, even from a fair distance off.

“…it is interesting that he seems so concerned about her. As far as you or I know, Kagome has never been in trouble of any kind--yet he seems to think she’s in constant danger. I’ve never seen him run off as he did last night. The whole situation seems unusual, to say the least.” His voice grew thoughtful. “Very interesting, in fact. I just hope he doesn’t get too distracted from whatever’s happening here.” A pause. “Although, InuYasha never has been very interested in the Alliance and its Council.”

“Yes…not that we can blame him.” Sango glanced down at her feet. “I’m just worried, Miroku. The Council has never acted this way…and neither has my father. I don’t understand why he won’t talk to me.”

Miroku sighed and a preoccupied frown wrinkled his brows. “Puzzling indeed. I have the feeling InuYasha won’t like it any more than we do, which could be an issue when he stands before the Council.” They both fell silent.

InuYasha sighed. Great. More problems.

This day was not going well.

Miroku suddenly glanced around. His brow cleared as his dark gaze focused on the hanyou clearing the steps. He raised a hand in cheerful greeting, and stood with a jangle and a swish of his robes, drawing Sango’s attention to their approaching friend. “Ah! InuYasha. Glad to see you decided to show up. I assume you had a…pleasant evening with our good doctor?”

Amber eyes narrowed at the teasing, suggestive tone, and he snarled as he came to a stop before them. “You better have one fucking hell of a better excuse for calling me out here than wanting to know something that’s none of your business, monk.”

Miroku took one long, measuring look at his bristling friend and his mischievous smile faded, instantly replaced by a look of deliberate sincerity. He stepped back, his hands up in pacifying gesture. “Be easy, InuYasha. I meant no harm. I was simply inquiring into the safety of a good friend after last nights troubling events. It was perfectly innocent, I assure you.”

InuYasha growled at Miroku’s soothing tone. “Keh! Since when are you ever innocent?” He relaxed slightly, eyeing his friend. “You’re in fine bullshit mode, aren’t you monk? How many times have you been before the Council today, anyway?”

Miroku gave him an expressive look. “I see this place is having its usual charming effect on you, InuYasha.”

InuYasha “keh’d” again, glaring at Miroku, then glancing back at Sango. She was frowning at him. “Where is Kagome, InuYasha? She’s all right, isn’t she?”

He drew a deep breath and heaved a sigh, tucking his hands into his sleeves. “Kagome’s at the clinic. She’s safe for now--although she’d be safer if I was with her.” His eyes went back impatiently to Miroku. “So what the hell am I doing here?”

Miroku frowned, dropping his carefree demeanor. “Something unusual with the Council, InuYasha. They’ve been convened ever since the attacks last night. They’ve called back all the hunters associated with last night’s hunt, and have been questioning them all day. Things have been feeling quite strange ever since this morning.”

InuYasha nodded. “Yeah, I noticed. When did they close the gates?”

“About an hour ago.” Miroku shook his head, his brow furrowed thoughtfully. “I haven’t had the opportunity to speak privately with my father yet, but it seems that the Council is looking for something more specific than the movements of the rogue youkai from last night.”

“Their movements?” InuYasha looked at Sango.

She shrugged, her dark ponytail swaying around her neck. “That’s all they’ve been asking about. The youkai’s movements, their attack patterns, what they seemed to be after. They kept asking me if I sensed any strange or unusual jyaki in the area.”

InuYasha stared at her skeptically. “What the hell qualifies as strange or unusual jyaki?”

Sango looked at him. “That’s what worries me.”

Miroku sighed heavily, leaning against his staff. “The rogue attacks on the city have been increasing in the last few years, causing more damage and greater loss of life. According to my father, the Council’s been growing more and more concerned. I suspect this has something to do with the recent increase in activity. Last night may just have been the latest in a series of building events.”

Sango glanced worriedly at her fiancé. “A threat to the Alliance, Miroku?”

Miroku shrugged. “Perhaps. Or to the city the Alliance is supposed to protect. Or maybe even to the Council itself. We can’t know for sure just yet. At any rate, I’m sure we’ll know more once I talk to my father--he hasn’t the scruples about sharing the Council’s business that yours does.” He glanced back at the hanyou next who stood next to them, surprised by his silence. “Are you listening, InuYasha?”

He nodded. “Yeah, I got it. The Council’s worried about the rogues. They obviously think something’s wrong--they closed those damned gates.”

“We should get to the great hall. You’re the only hunter from last night yet to be questioned by the Council. The questions they ask you may tell us more about their worries.” Miroku looked pointedly at the hanyou’s instant scowl. “And given the current situation, InuYasha, it would be wise of you to at least try to be respectful in the Council’s presence.”

“Feh. If you think I’m…” His ears suddenly perked as he caught the sound of light shoes tapping against wood. His nose twitched at a familiar scent, and he turned curiously towards one end of the long porch, drawing Miroku and Sango’s attention just as the approaching female made her entrance.

The young woman who darted around the corner was exquisitely beautiful, her features small and classic, her skin velvety smooth, with a rich natural coloring that makeup would only mar. She spotted the three standing by the steps, and drew up short in momentary surprise. “Ah! InuYasha!” The small, cheerful smile playing around her mouth blossomed into a delighted grin as she ran forward to greet them. The light brown jacket and short, pleated skirt of her high school uniform hugged her body and danced around her thighs, revealing far more maturity of body than a sixteen-year-old had the right to have.

As she drew even with the trio, she skidded to a stop and formed a deep bow, her masses of waist-length, inky black hair falling around her in silky waves. “Lord Miroku, Lady Sango. It is an honor to see you, as always.” She straightened and turned impossibly large, thickly lashed, rich brown eyes--unanimously acknowledged as her best feature--on the hanyou. “Brother InuYasha, I’m so glad you’re here.”

Miroku greeted the new arrival with a welcoming smile. “Rin, what a pleasant surprise. I thought you had school today. You’re looking as exceedingly beautiful as always.” He winced as Sango grabbed at the tail at his neck and twisted. “But not nearly as beautiful as my lovely bride-to-be, of course.”

InuYasha gave a quiet snort before he turned his attention back to the girl. He gave her a look of open curiosity. “What are you doing here, Rin? I thought you had that damn high school of yours. Won’t it be trouble for you if you miss it?”

Slim shoulders lifted in a small, fatalistic shrug. “Lord Sesshoumaru says I’m not to go into the city until the rogues have all been caught. He believes it’s too dangerous for me to go anywhere by myself. My teachers won’t care--they let me get away with anything. I think they’re afraid he’ll demolish the school if they reprimand me.” She rolled her eyes. “Or worse, actually come to the school to talk with them. Besides, my grades are good enough that I won’t suffer much from missing a day or two.”

The smallest hint of a smile softened InuYasha’s features.

A tiny frown dipped her brows. “Lord Sesshoumaru is away for the day, so I’m to remain at the Alliance with Jaken until he returns. It’s been mostly boring. All Jaken does all day is paperwork for Lord Sesshoumaru.” She shrugged again, cheerfully this time. “But it turned out good, because I got to see you, brother InuYasha. Since I got into such a highly rated school, the work has kept me from visiting you or the Alliance for months.” She peered up at him, her gaze curious. “You are here to report for the Council, right? Tell me--did you really fight off a thousand youkai with your bare hands?”

Three pairs of eyes turned on the girl with silent incredulity.

She blinked. “That’s what everyone has been saying since last night.”

Miroku gave a dry chuckle. “For people who claim to dislike you so much, the rumors about you are certainly flattering, aren’t they, InuYasha?”

Sango considered InuYasha, an amused glint in her eyes. “I’ve never seen him fight off that many--although his bare hands can definitely be considered dangerous weapons.”

“Keh.” He was still staring at Rin. “The idiots around here have nothing better to do than make up stories, Rin. You shouldn’t listen to them. The rogues last night weren’t anything to worry about. They were weaklings.” He shook his head reluctantly. “The pretty bastard was right to keep you out of the city until they’re caught, though. Even weak youkai like that are too much for a normal human. That’s why Alliance hunters are tracking them down.”

Rin nodded. “That’s what Jaken says. Lord Sesshoumaru always does what is best for me.” At InuYasha’s derisive snort, she just smiled, ignoring his unvocalized opinion with the ease of long practice.

He just rolled his eyes. “Feh.” He’d never understood her unwavering loyalty to such a cold-hearted bastard. He didn’t think he ever would.

Of course, InuYasha still couldn’t believe that his sanctimonious bastard of a brother had anything more to do with humans than he had to. He wasn’t the only one, either. Even ten years after Rin had appeared so mysteriously at his heels, the Alliance still rippled with whispers wondering about the Inu lord’s unprecedented interest in a human girl.

He shrugged. He’d long since given up trying to figure either one of them out. “Whatever.”

“Jaken was just telling me that he might have to…” Rin trailed off, as she glanced around, startled. “Eh? He’s not here? He was with me a minute ago. I wonder where he went?”

“Heh.” A brief smirk graced the hanyou’s face. He had no fondness for his brother’s annoying imp of a retainer, and he found it endlessly amusing that the toad was forever losing track of his highly energetic human charge. “He’s probably around here someplace.”

Rin nodded. “He’ll come and find me later.” She either missed InuYasha’s snicker, or decided to ignore it as she turned her attention to Sango. “Kohaku isn’t here today, is he?”

Sango smiled warmly at the young woman, but shook her head. “No, Kohaku has been so busy with classes that he’s barely had time to visit his own family, much less the Alliance.”

Sango was extremely fond of Rin. She had been privileged to see more of Rin than most as she’d grown up around the Alliance. Her younger brother Kohaku had been one of Rin’s only truly close friends since her arrival at the Alliance, and the two usually spent most of their time on the grounds together. Unfortunately, they hadn’t seen much of each other since Kohaku had started at Tokyo University earlier in the year.

Rin smiled shyly. “I know. School has kept me very busy as well. But I thought I might see him today.” She looked mildly disappointed.

Sango looked amused. “Don’t worry. He’s always asking about you--even though I know he talks to you all the time, because he always knows the answers to the questions he asks me.” She tilted her head. “I think he feels guilty about not being able hear them in person.”

“Riiiiin!” A frantic, throaty whine echoed faintly around the hallway, causing all three humans to glance around.

InuYasha smirked. “I think the imp finally figured out that you’re gone.”

“Rin! Riiin! Where did you go? How many times must I tell you to stay still? Lord Sesshoumaru will not be pleased if he comes back and you’re not with me. Come back, Rin! Ah, this girl is more trouble than she’s worth. I will never understand why Lord Sesshoumaru keeps her around. Why must I be the one to watch her, anyway? Riiiiin!”

Rounding the same corner from which Rin had emerged, the green-skinned imp, no taller than InuYasha’s knee and draped in humble brown robes, stopped in surprise. His yellow, reptilian eyes bugged even more than usual when he spotted with whom his charge was standing. “AH! Rin!” He pointed at them with the two faces carved into the top of his tall wooden staff. “Why are you with that filthy hanyou?”

Rin smiled cheerfully. “Look, Jaken. I found brother InuYasha.”

Jaken blinked in disbelief, then strode forward. “W-wh-why…Why would I care whether you’ve found that worthless disgrace to Lord Sesshoumaru’s name? Rin! How many times must I tell you that he is…”

Rin turned back to Sango with a little roll of her eyes as Jaken began to drone. “Kohaku and I communicate often, but talking by phone or on the computer just isn’t the same. I was hoping to see him in person.”

Sango laughed, and dipped her head in agreement. After her father had joined the Council at her grandfather’s death, it had been up to her and Kohaku to fulfill the Yanagimoto hunter position at the Alliance. She’d been twice as busy since Kohaku had forgone regular hunts for the family in favor of classes and studying.

Jaken was still talking. “…Why, InuYasha hasn’t even half the wit, grace, or sheer power as--” He paused, one hand frozen mid-gesture as he realized that none of the four was paying him any attention. “…eh?”

Rin turned back to InuYasha, who stood in his best impression of boredom, hands tucked into his sleeves, eyes closed, brows and mouth set in mild irritation since Jaken had started his soliloquy. Only the telltale perk of soft white ears, and the occasional flick to catch a new noise, revealed that he was paying any attention at all. “Oh, brother InuYasha. I have been learning to cook at school. Please, would you allow me to practice on you?”

“Cook?” One golden eye cracked to stare at her. “You want to make me food?” He sounded dubious. “Why?”

“WHAT!” Jaken’s beak dropped open, and he stared in horror.

Rin nodded happily. “Yes. Lord Sesshoumaru says he doesn’t eat human food, so I need someone to tell me if it tastes all right.”

“R-R-R-Rin!” Jaken seemed to like the idea of her cooking for InuYasha even less that he liked being ignored.

InuYasha rolled his eyes. “Feh. Whatever. Do what you want. I don’t care.” He hesitated. “Nothing spicy.” He made a face. “I don’t like spicy.”

Rin dipped her head in a little bow. “Yes. Thank you so much, brother InuYasha.”

Jaken looked sick. For years, he’d remained perpetually terrified that his master would rip him to shreds for allowing his young ward to associate with his despised half-brother. Not that Jaken ever allowed it--Rin rarely listened to what she didn’t want to hear. Still, he could almost feel his life span decreasing. He puffed up indignantly. “Rin! This is…Lord Sesshoumaru will not--”

Rin twisted on one heel and tilted her head to focus on her green friend, forestalling him with a sweet smile. “Don’t worry, Jaken. I’ll cook for you, too. I need your help as well.”

“Really?” Jaken paused. A thoughtful, self-important frown crossed his face as he considered her request. “Well, of course. My tastes may run different from humans, but I still know fine cuisine….”

The hanyou stifled a snort at how effectively Rin had managed to divert the long-winded imp. Sometimes, it wasn’t that hard to believe that she had lived in the same home as Sesshoumaru and his servant for the past ten years.

The briefest hint of scent was the only warning he got.

His nose twitched. His eyes snapped up and he bristled at the elegant figure who suddenly stood directly behind the preoccupied Jaken, long white hair hanging silkily down the back of his white kimono, and thick, mysterious fur trailing over one shoulder. Two swords were secured within the belt at his waist.

Rin clapped her hands together. “Lord Sesshoumaru! You’re back!”

Jaken’s eyes popped wide open and he whirled around and dropped into a humble, subservient bow. “My Lord, welcome back.”

Sesshoumaru ignored them, his gaze going to the hanyou across the porch, his expression contemptuous. He was taller than his brother, his features more delicate, beautiful in an almost feminine way. Youkai markings striped in magenta lines across his cheeks, and a curious crescent moon centered on his forehead. He would have seemed weak if it wasn’t for the incredibly dangerous aura that hovered in the air around him.

InuYasha glared back, clearly unhappy to see his brother. Behind him, he sensed both Miroku and Sango tense.

Two pairs of identical golden eyes locked in a brief staring match.

Sesshoumaru’s eyes tightened mildly with disapproval. “Loitering in the halls, little brother? Perhaps you’ve forgotten the reason you are here. The Council called for you long ago. Don’t you think perhaps they’ll be displeased with your tardiness?”

InuYasha’s lip curled slightly. “Tch. You act as if I should care what the Council thinks. Pretty hypocritical when everyone knows that you don’t give a shit yourself.”

Cool golden eyes narrowed even further. “As careless with your life as always, InuYasha. Or have you forgotten that the Council has the power to end yours?”

The comment prompted a sneer from the hanyou. “That would thrill you, wouldn’t it, Sesshoumaru. You’d just love the chance to get your hands on my Tetsusaiga.” He paused, then smirked “Heh. Not that you could, even if I was dead.”

Sesshoumaru’s stare of dislike became a full glare. “You do not deserve such a weapon. I have yet to see you prove that one with such tainted blood is able to control it.” One graceful hand lifted to wrap around the hilt of the bare sword at his waist. “Perhaps I should test the rumors of your skill?”

InuYasha reacted instantly, his hands slipping from his sleeves to mimic his brother’s gesture with a growl. His body tensed for combat and his thumb pushed the katana loose from its sheath.

A long, pregnant pause held the occupants of the porch frozen.

Sesshoumaru didn’t move, nor did his expression change. “Yes. Draw our father’s great sword, InuYasha. Prove yourself as the Tetsusaiga’s master. Have you even been able to recognize its full potential?”

InuYasha continued to glare at his brother for another moment, his growl rumbling in his throat. Then, with an irate grunt, he released his hold and stuffed his hands back into his sleeves. “Feh. I don’t need to prove anything to someone who can’t even put his hands on my sword. Or have you forgotten that?”

Sesshoumaru’s eyes tightened scathingly and he let out a sound of disdain. “Useless hanyou.” His hand dropped from his sword and he turned his back to them. “I refuse to waste my effort on a foolish, insignificant weakling.” He glided away, ignoring Jaken as he scrambled to keep up.

Miroku and Sango stared in silence, while InuYasha just growled softly at his brother’s retreating back.

After a moment, Rin stepped forward to follow Sesshoumaru, only to pause and turn back once more. She grinned at Sango and bowed low. “Please tell Kohaku I wish him well, and to come visit me soon.”

Behind her, Sesshoumaru suddenly paused. Jaken, unprepared for the sudden halt, stumbled, falling flat on his face in his effort to avoid running into his master. Sesshoumaru’s head turned slightly, and, from the corner of his eyes, an impassive golden gaze focused on Rin.

Sango smiled hesitantly and nodded her head. “Of course.”

Rin bowed her head again in thanks. Almost imperceptibly, Sesshoumaru’s eyes tightened. “Rin. We’re going.”

Rin turned and smiled softly at Sesshoumaru. “Yes, Lord Sesshoumaru.”

His gaze rested on her unblinkingly for the barest second before he turned once again and strode off. Jaken, having finally recovered from his undignified crash, followed, running to keep up. “Ah! Lord Sesshoumaru, wait for me!”

Rin trailed behind, the small, gently smile still twitching at her lips. As she turned the far corner, she sent one last wave in InuYasha’s direction. “I’ll be visiting soon.”

“Keh.” His scowl didn’t waver as the strange trio disappeared from sight. He let out an aggravated sigh, then glanced with resignation at Miroku. “Let’s get this over with before something else happens.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~

The castle great hall was an expansive, open room where the Alliance Council held all of its meetings, both open and closed. It was mostly bare, with polished wooden floors, and thick, carved, randomly placed wooden pillars. The room decorations were elegant but sparse, with a red and black color scheme on the walls and pillars, and spare trimmings of gold.

The ceiling was high and flat, painted with scenes depicting the origins and history of the Alliance--from the terrible wars between humans and youkai that had almost decimated Japan hundreds of years ago, to the first meeting of the original taiyoukai and human families of power who had allied to stop the destruction, to the building and establishment of the first castle and the Alliance hunters. A raised section of the floor along the back of the room held the table where the sixteen members of the Council presided over meetings.

A sort of tense interest hung heavy in the closed air of the room. All the Alliance had gathered today, it seemed, and the hall was far more crowded than it would normally be for an open meeting. Various humans and youkai--members of the Alliance who did not sit on the Council--stood around watching the proceedings.

Traditionally, anyone seeking to enter the great hall was announced to the Council.

As the three neared the hall, a small, fish-like representative standing ready at the doors scrambled to announce their presence to the room beyond. InuYasha simply gave a snort of disdain and strode right over him. The members gathered there--most of whom had been present for the majority of the day--stepped out of his way as soon as they noticed him, creating an open path down the center of the room. He didn’t stop until he reached the raised floor where the Council members sat at their table, conversing quietly among themselves.

Then he stood impatiently before them, arms crossed within his sleeves, foot tapping quietly. He ignored the slight disturbance rippling across the room as more people began to notice him. Most here would recognize him; he was the only hanyou ever born of the pureblooded families of the Alliance, and one of the most skilled--and notoriously disrespectful--hunters employed by them.

Noticing the disturbance, sixteen pairs of eyes slowly focused on him--some openly disgusted, some interested, most properly indifferent. It was exceedingly rare for this particular hunter to appear before them; his ambivalence towards the Alliance and its Council was widely known. The crowd around him shifted subtly, waiting to see how the Council would react to his casual entrance.

Behind him, he heard Miroku sigh as he moved to join him. InuYasha scowled as he felt the monk stop just behind him with a quiet, prompting cough. If he actually expects me to bow, he’s out of his mind. It was enough that he was even here.

The current head of the Council, an ancient taiyoukai called Akadansha, eyed him coolly over the glasses set low on her small, pale nose. He returned her look arrogantly. He could care less what the Council thought of his arrival…

Although Akadansha was no one to play with.

As the only living member of the original Council, Akadansha’s word was respected above all others on the Council, and she had been presiding regally over Council meetings for as long as InuYasha could remember. Her human form--which she and all other youkai with animal forms retained while on Alliance grounds--was a fragile, weak-looking woman with brilliant white hair, blood-red eyes, and smooth, pale skin. She’d appeared in only human form for so long that no one could quite remember what her animal form actually was. (Rumors and bets about her true nature--that she was some form of incredibly powerful dragon, or a rat in disguise, or the last of a race of blood-eating youkai that had been extinct for so long that no one knew they had actually existed--were a daily part of life at the Alliance.)

Despite her frail appearance, Akadansha always maintained an air of supreme authority and power--never so much looking her age as feeling it. She held the unquestioning respect of every member of the Alliance, and sway over every member of the Council. Some said she was brilliant, others said she was insane with age. Still, she controlled the Council with an iron will, coolly bending opinions to follow her own. She’d scared the shit out of him when he was a kid.

She studied him critically, one small, sharp claw tracing the pointed shell of her ear. “Well, well, hunter. Have you decided to finally grace us with your presence? Perhaps we should be flattered.”

His back stiffened, but before he could say anything, Miroku swept a deep bow, his staff jangling as it curved beneath him, his voice smooth and deferential. “Great members of the Council, InuYasha offers his deepest apologies for your wait, but he had a pressing matter to attend to, and only just received word of your summons.” He paused and looked up. “He did, of course, rush straight over as soon as he heard of your wish to speak with him.”

Akadansha’s blood-red gaze never turned from InuYasha. “Is that so? Of course. Perhaps the hunter would care to inform us what…‘pressing matter’ kept him from fulfilling his obligation to the Council?”

“Tch!” Brows--surprisingly dark despite his pale coloring--lowered angrily. He sure as hell hadn’t come here so they could delve into his personal life. “Perhaps you should mind--uuuhhff!” The breath huffed out of him as Miroku stepped in front of him, the end of his staff digging up into his diaphragm.

“I’m afraid the matter was of a personal nature that InuYasha does not wish to discuss in public.”

Dense white eyebrows lifted, ignoring the displeased shifting of various members in their seats. “Is that so, hunter?”

InuYasha turned his glare from the monk in front of him back to the Council member. “Feh. I’m not obligated to tell you the details of my life. If you have something important to ask me, get on with it. Otherwise, I have better things to do with my time. ”

An angry hiss echoed cut through the hall, drawing everyone’s attention to a tall, broad, snake-like taiyoukai with gray skin and blue hair at the far end of the table. Long, thin pupils widened within pale yellow cornea as his eyes focused threateningly on the hunter standing before the Council. “This is an insult! The monk is putting words in the hanyou’s mouth. This…half-breed has yet to learn his place before the Council. Such arrogance should not be tolerated from one with only half our power!”

Dead silence filled the hall. InuYasha turned his amber gaze to the imposing taiyoukai, anger swirling dangerously. His temper had already been pushed to the breaking point once today. The snake only looked vaguely familiar, meaning that he hadn’t been a part of the Council in his father’s time. InuYasha didn’t appear frequently enough before the Council for him to know any of the newer members.

His lips curled back, revealing his fangs, and his hand fell to the sword at his side, fingers curving around the hilt. His knuckles cracked ominously.

Oh, fuck this.

First the fight with Kagome…. Then that wimp Kouga…. Having to leave Kagome with that ridiculous wolf to come here, of all places…. And after all that, he’d had to deal with his bastard brother as well. A growl threatened deep in his chest. This idiot had chosen the wrong day to pick a fight with this particular hanyou.

The snake smiled derisively, revealing fangs of his own. “Pathetic half-breed. You think yourself capable of facing one of the Council’s stature?” He stood. “I will gladly show you your place.”

Unexpectedly, the comment prompted a small, unpleasant smile from the silent hanyou. Hell with it…he could use a fight to blow off some steam. His knuckles cracked again.

Miroku looked alarmed, his gaze flying back to Akadansha, who watched impassively as the Council member and the hunter faced off. “I would like to remind the Council members of their purpose in calling InuYasha before them personally. Violence is not only forbidden within Alliance grounds, but it would severely impede the Council’s business.” He darted a covert look at his father, who watched calmly from his seat next to Sango’s father.

InuYasha didn’t see why he bothered. He couldn’t expect intervention from either of them. Any hint of favoritism was frowned upon in the Council, and the friendship between their children and the hunter was widely known.

Another of the Council--a fat, wealthy human dressed in rich robes of silk--shifted forward in his seat. He focused a look of distaste on InuYasha as he spoke, deliberately addressing Miroku instead. “Shizou has a point, monk. This particular…hunter…has never given the Council the respect it is due. Perhaps a reprimand is in order.” He glanced pointedly at the snake further down the table. “One that would make a deeper impression than the monetary ones dispensed in the past.”

Hearing the snake’s name, InuYasha paused, his gaze sweeping across the table, his hands tightening for just a moment. He looked back at the snake. “Shizou, huh?” A shadow of recognition passed behind his gaze, and he sneered in contempt. “Feh.” Releasing his grip on his sword, he tucked his hands back into his sleeves and turned his back on the Council. “If all you’re going to do is waste my time, I’m leaving. I have more important things to do than stand here and listen to bullshit.”

Fresh mutters of shock followed his declaration. Miroku let out a resigned sigh and shook his head, his fingers rubbing at his temples. The human who had spoken in favor of a reprimand sat back, displeasure evident in his features. Shizou, infuriated at the dismissal, hissed again and grabbed for the sword hidden within his armor.

“Were I you, Shizou--” Somehow, Akadansha’s mild tone cut through the tense atmosphere overwhelming the room, drawing everyone’s attention to her casual study of her nails, “--I would not be so eager to meet the hunter that rid the Council of Ryukotsusei.”

Once again, a brief murmuring moved through the observing crowd.

“Ryukotsusei?” The name seemed to drain most of the energy from the furious snake. He stared in shock at the hanyou, who had stilled at Akadansha’s words. “This half-measure of a youkai destroyed the mighty Ryukotsusei? But…surely you jest, Akadansha.”

“Hm.” Akadansha rested her head lightly against one slim finger. “Of course not. It was InuYasha who tracked Ryukotsusei down in the mountains after he was unsealed, and it was InuYasha who destroyed the monster that even his father--and yours, if I remember correctly--could not. While it is true that this is not a well-known fact, Shizou, I am surprised that you do not know the name of your own sire’s avenger.

“If you truly wish to fight the hunter, then you may do so at your own risk--in the forest, away from all human populace, in accordance with Alliance law.” She turned her deep ruby eyes to train steadily on the hesitant taiyoukai. “When we appointed you in you father’s place a mere ten years ago, the Council did so because we felt that you would bring a semblance of wisdom and restraint that your father lacked. Had we realized you were contaminated with the same recklessness that got him killed, however, we might have reconsidered.”

Shizou hesitated, then slowly sank back into his seat, completely cowed by the Council’s oldest member. Disappointed, the fat, silk-clad human stirred once again. “Have you forgotten the hunter’s insult to this Council, Akadansha?”

Something like a smirk curved the corners of her lips. “Insult, Lord Higen? Do you mean his lack of formality--formality that is at best an unspoken guideline, and is not spoken of in the rules we abide by? Or perhaps you mean his refusal to battle on the neutral grounds of the Alliance. And here I thought he was merely following the rules…for once.” She looked back at InuYasha, who had twisted to stare at her. “His attitude towards the Council that employs him may be unwise…but no more unwise than for this Council to indulge in unwarranted prejudice against one of its best hunters…on nothing but the pitiable excuse of perceived slight.”

She allowed only a few seconds of renewed silence to follow her reprimand before sighing and folding her hands in front of her. “Now then, if everyone is over their childishness,” she eyed the disgruntled hunter warningly, “perhaps we can stop wasting everyone’s time.”

He glared stubbornly at her for a moment longer, but at Miroku’s meaningful cough, he visibly relented by turning back, his expression barely tolerant.

Satisfied, Akadansha sat back. “Hunter InuYasha, you participated in the hunting and the extermination of the rogue youkai that attacked the city of Tokyo last night?”

He scowled peevishly. “Do you really think I’d be here if I hadn’t?”

Akadansha sent him the one-eyed look that had always had his spine straightening cautiously. Miroku smacked his staff into the wooden floor with a jangle, his expression murderous.

The hanyou sighed. “Yes.”

“The Council demands a report of your activities.”

He closed one eye briefly. He hated this part. “Not a lot to report. Lots of youkai came into the city. I tracked some, I found them, I killed them.”

“How many humans were hurt?” The soft, deep voice of Sango’s father finally spoke up.

“How should I know? At least some--all the youkai that I tracked last night had a few snacks. They reeked of human blood.”

“How many rogues invaded the city?” One of the taiyoukai, a beautiful, pale-toned female with feline features, questioned him sharply.

He rolled his eyes. “A hell of a lot of them. They were low-level, bugs mostly. More annoying than anything else.”

“And how did they attack when discovered? Did they swarm chaotically, or were they organized?”

InuYasha furrowed his brow as he thought back. He recognized the youkai who had asked that question. A male water-type with a dignified, regal bearing. He’d never seen him this animated before. “Oh they were organized, all right. More so than I would have expected from their type. They actually tried an ambush on me.”

“Who attacked first, you, or them?”

That question, from Miroku’s father this time, was worthy of a frown. “I did. They didn’t pay any attention to me until I tried to stop them.”

He suddenly had their concentrated attention.

“Stop them from doing what?”

“They were ransacking the houses in some of the suburbs near the outer part of the city, going through them one by one.”

Miroku’s father sat forward, his gaze locked intently on the hunter. “They were searching the houses? Why? For food?”

His frown deepened, reflecting carefully. “Not unless they were looking for a home cooked meal. None of the youkai were eating humans when I found them. And there were plenty around to eat.”

“So they were aimless?”

He hesitated, then shook his head. “No. They were definitely looking for…” he paled slightly, “something.”

Damn.

He suddenly had no more patience for their questions. One ear flicked back towards the door, and he shuffled his feet, debating the merits of simply walking out. Kagome will be fine. She’s with that godsdamned wolf, isn’t she? He should be worth something in an emergency. Somehow, the thought was less than reassuring.

Akadansha’s eyes half-closed in thought. “Did you sense any unusual jyaki or any other abnormal presence in the area when you confronted the rogues?”

That got his attention. InuYasha shared a quick, suspicious glance with Miroku. “No. Should I have?”

She sat back, staring. “Hmm.” She didn’t ask any more questions.

The rest of the Council took over, continuing to throw questions at him for the next few minutes, various members picking up on various points--how many he battled, how he defeated them, how much damage was done to the area. He answered each question tersely and succinctly, eager to be done with this particular chore and check on Kagome. Then, mercifully, they were done, and he was free.

As he turned away, Akadansha’s voice echoed around the hall once again. “I have one more question for you, hunter.” He paused impatiently, one ear twisting slightly, not bothering to turn back to face them. “Have you ever heard the name…Naraku?”

Every muscle in his body seized as white-hot pain pierced through his head, causing his eyes to shut briefly. His teeth snapped together in his mouth, so hard that he thought his jaw would break from the strain. For a second, he couldn’t breathe.

“No.” He just barely managed to choke the word out.

A small part of his brain was mildly surprised at the gritty tone of his voice. In the years since the flashes of pain had first started, he had become so expert at hiding them that not even his friends noticed the brief hesitations they caused. But this…this was the strongest one he’d suffered since that first, incapacitating flare--shocking his system, and lasting longer than usual. He sucked in a deep breath, getting air in his lungs.

His eyes opened to meet Miroku’s stunned, alarmed gaze. Shit. He’d noticed. “No,” he repeated, clearer this time. “I’ve never heard the name before.”

Silence stretched out behind him. “Very well then. Enjoy your personal time, hunter. The Council extends its gratitude.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~

They were staring at him.

He could feel their eyes on his back as they made their way through multiple wooden corridors toward the entrance. It was starting to irritate him. Miroku had followed him silently from the hall, and Sango had joined them as they exited through the doors, having heard everything from her place standing at the back of the room. He had seen their briefly exchanged looks, but had chosen to ignore them.

So far, both Sango and Miroku had been quiet, but they wouldn’t keep their concern to themselves after they’d left the main castle. He gritted his teeth again. He didn’t want their concern. All he wanted now was to get back to the clinic and make sure that Kagome was safe.

The questions from the Council had spooked him, making him wonder just what it was that the rogues had been searching for, and why. He’d fought them--they had been intent on some purpose. What that purpose was, though…He shook his head, angry that he couldn’t figure out what was happening. Dammit, he was still recovering from the jolt he’d received at that name.

Naraku.

His claws cut into the skin of his forearms, and the smallest of growls slipped from his throat.

Why did he feel so threatened?

“InuYasha….” Sango, who had stayed to the back of the hall, hadn’t been able to see anything over the crowd, and the unusual tension in the air had her bewildered.

He stopped, and turned to face them. They’d returned to the castle’s open front porch, pausing just before descending the wide, long steps. “Look, just lay off. I’m having a bad day, and I don’t want to talk about it.”

Miroku was still wearing the same strange look he’d had since the three of them left the great hall. “InuYasha…you lied to the Council, didn’t you? That name, Naraku--you recognized it.” Sango reacted with shock to his accusation, her eyes widening at InuYasha.

He hesitated, a perplexed frown twisting his brows, then he shook his head. “No. I didn’t lie.”

Miroku frowned. “But I saw your face when she asked you….You definitely recognized that name.”

“I didn’t fucking lie! I’ve never heard that name before.” He snarled in frustration as Miroku started to protest again. “I don’t know what it looked like, but I’m telling you I’ve never heard that name before!” He subsided abruptly, glancing away out the corner of his eyes, his expression distant. “It’s true.” His voice dropped to a troubled murmur. “This is the first time that I’ve heard of someone called Naraku.”

They stared at him skeptically, then exchanged another look.

What’s wrong with him?’ Sango mouthed.

Miroku shrugged. ‘He’s been like this since he met Kagome.’ He mouthed back.

Her lips parted in a small, knowing ‘Ooooh.’

“I’m standing right here, you know!”

They ignored his indignant growl to stare thoughtfully at the half-demon. Sango’s brows crinkled. “InuYasha, the Council’s questions…when you fought the rogues last night, did they seem…together to you?”

He grimaced. “Yeah. They moved together, almost as if they were all sharing the same mind.”

Sango nodded in agreement. “The ones I exterminated too. They fought smarter than youkai of their type usually are, too. Almost as if they had decided on their moves ahead of time.”

Miroku drew a deep breath and closed his eyes in thought. When he opened his eyes, he focused wandered between his two friends. “The questions they’ve asked everyone have all been basically the same--number, movement, and motivation. If I had to guess, I’d say they were looking for some sort of organization among the lesser youkai who have been causing the upset.”

InuYasha’s eyes narrowed, but he remained silent as Sango looked thoughtfully at her fiancé. “The rogues working together? But the ones that have been attacking the city aren’t really capable of organized movement like that.”

“They never have been,” Miroku agreed, his gaze training speculatively on InuYasha. “At least, not on their own.”

They stood for several moments before Miroku shrugged again. At any rate, we should try to find out more about this Naraku. Sango and I will find out as much information as we can from our fathers, and InuYasha, you should--”

He nodded. “I know. I’ll see what I can find out today.” He turned away from them, heading for the stairs. “In the meantime, I’m getting the hell out of here. Kagome is still at the clinic with that stupid wolf.”

Miroku smirked. “How is the great leader of the wolves?”

“Still an asshole who deserves to die.” InuYasha snarled back instantly. “I should have killed the damn bastard the first time he ever interfered in one of my hunts.” He glared at Sango. “You could have warned me about that weak-kneed coward sniffing around Kagome, you know.”

Sango looked surprised. “Me?” She looked thoughtful. “I guess I just forgot. Kagome never talks about him, so it just didn’t occur to me to say anything.” She blinked, and her expression turned indignant. “Besides, since when am I obligated to tell you anything about my best friend? You just met her.”

That gave him pause, and he blinked. Then he snorted. “Whatever.”

Miroku shook his head musingly, following InuYasha and Sango as they headed for the front gates. “This day has been very strange indeed. Maybe we should have asked Sesshoumaru if he knows what concerns the Council.”

InuYasha didn’t even bother to look back at him. “Keh. If you think you can get anything useful out of that pretty bastard….” He stopped short, his ears flattening, disbelief twisting his features. “Fuck! Now what?”

Beside him, Sango’s jaw fell in silent surprise. Miroku, two steps behind them, glanced curiously in the direction they were staring. He blinked. Then his dark eyes focused sharply and a serious, thoughtful frown slid over his face.

Coming up the wide, shallow steps leading to the old castle was an entourage of cameras, photographers, and reporters, all lead by one man. He was in his late fifties, short in stature and dressed in an expensive, well-cut suit. His dark hair was silvering elegantly, and his body aging well. Two younger, well-dressed aides, a woman and a man with clipboards, hovered in his wake. The gathering of television and newspaper reporters that followed him called out questions as he made his way toward the castle.

InuYasha couldn’t have cared less, except that the small mass of humans was blocking his way. His fists clenched in an effort to keep from clobbering the man leading the pack. DAMMIT! Why the hell is it so hard to leave this godsdamned place?

Behind him, Miroku let out a small groan. InuYasha glanced back at his friend’s displeased frown as he watched the procession draw closer. “Miroku? Who the hell is this?”

“Hiroya Nakamura.” Miroku’s tone was thick with dislike, and his gaze never wavered from the distinguished gentleman approaching them.

Sango drew in a sharp breath and her stare turned swiftly to Miroku, her eyes widening. “That’s Nakamura?”

InuYasha sent them both an irritated look. “Who the hell is Nakamura?”

“He’s been one of the most influential men in the House of Councillors for the past ten years.” Miroku’s frown darkened. “He’s also one of the most visible opponents of the government’s charter with the Alliance. He’s been speaking out in favor of Alliance ‘reform’ almost his entire political career. Of course, Nakamura’s version of reform includes bringing the Alliance under the supervision of the current Japanese government.”

Sango’s expression suddenly mirrored Miroku’s. “How did he get in here? The gates are closed.”

Miroku grimaced. “He’s also the new head of the Ministry of Alliance Relations.”

She looked shocked. “How did that happen?”

“The former Minister, Adachi, died of a heart attack several months ago.” His face took on a grim cast. “Nakamura’s been vowing to push through more government involvement in Alliance affairs since he took over the position.”

“Feh.” InuYasha kept a wary, impatient eye on the small wave of humanity that ascended the shallow steps below. “I don’t care who he is, and I don’t care what he wants. I just want him to get the fuck out of my way.”

The reporters were shooting questions at Nakamura at a furious pace as they chased him up the steps.

“Minister, does this visit have anything to with the serious rogue attacks within Tokyo last night?”

“Minister Nakamura, what do you hope to accomplish with your visit to the Alliance Council today?”

“Minister, do you hold the Alliance responsible for last night’s attacks?”

As the Minister drew even with them, the trio edged back, intent on allowing the spectacle to pass by them. To InuYasha’s utter disgust, Nakamura chose that moment to turn and face the crowd of reporters. They quieted abruptly, waiting for his statement.

He surveyed the group from several stair levels above them, his expression appropriately grave. “The incidents in the city last night were tragic indeed, and we mourn the loss of those who died. But this latest attack has only served to further illustrate the fact that the Alliance as it now stands has lost its effectiveness as an organization. As Minister of Alliance Relations, I am calling on both the Prime Minister and the Council to renegotiate the Alliance’s charter to bring it and its responsibilities under the authority of the Japanese government.”

“You can’t do that.” The quiet intensity of Miroku’s words drew the surprised attention of everyone gathered on the steps--including the Minister, who looked shocked to see someone standing nearby. “The Alliance has always been apart from human government. It is to keep the Alliance stable. Bringing the Alliance under the Japanese government would cripple its authority within the youkai community.”

“And you are…houshi?” A beautiful young reporter looked him up and down with undisguised interest as she shoved a microphone in Miroku’s direction. Sango bristled, but for once, Miroku didn’t even glance at the attractive woman. He just shook his head, his gaze trained steadily on Nakamura. “I’m no one. An insignificant man who speaks only from experience.”

“And my father speaks only the truth.” One of the two aides spoke up, handing his clipboard to the woman beside him as he stepped forward to stand by the Minister. He was young and handsome, with long black hair tied back in a sleek ponytail and a black business suit. His manner was calm and very polite. “The attacks on the city have only increased in recent years, and the Alliance has grown too secretive and autocratic to do anything about it. To ensure that it continues to fulfill its purpose, it must be regulated by the government.”

“Indeed.” Nakamura puffed up slightly. “ My son Masaki speaks well. For too long, we have blindly trusted the protection of our citizens from youkai to an organization run by youkai. We have a responsibility to make certain they consider the welfare of humans as well as youkai.”

Sango glared at the Minister. “The Alliance is run by both humans and youkai. It’s stance on government has always been neutral, because the Alliance exists solely to maintain peace between humans and youkai.”

Nakamura glanced over the hunter’s revealing uniform, his gaze both appreciative and condescending, causing Miroku to shift forward protectively. “The humans on the Council have grown ineffective. The Alliance and their old ways are failing. We must find a new way--”

InuYasha fought the urge to roll his eyes. “Bullshit.” People and cameras turned with a myriad of clicks and flashes, annoying him further. “When was the last time you fought off a rogue youkai?”

“I…beg your pardon?” The elder Nakamura’s face began to turn crimson at the rude interruption.

InuYasha snorted, and strode over to face the Minister. “I’ll bet you don’t even know how to pick up a sword. Feh. A lot of good you’ll do protecting your people when the next rogue shows up looking for a meal. Maybe your regulations will stop them.” He sneered. “Don’t you get it? The Alliance Council is made up of humans and youkai for a reason. It’s a fucking balance. The humans keep the youkai in check, and the youkai keep the humans in check. If you force them under the human government, the balance is off. Everyone goes wild.” He turned away from the Minister.

“But the youkai have already gone wild. The attacks last night prove that.”

InuYasha turned his impatient amber gaze on the younger Nakamura. “And how many people would have died last night without the hunters to take out the rogues? You think it woulda been over so fast without youkai help?” He paused, then shrugged. “Keh. Whatever.”

He started down the steps. For some inexplicable reason, the reporters in front of him parted, allowing him, Sango, and Miroku to pass. He didn’t stop moving as he called back. “If you think the human government can do a better job of protecting against the rogues than the Alliance has for the past five hundred years, try it your way. Its just more work for me when the rogues go nuts because the Alliance can’t control them anymore.”

The Minister blustered, staring after the hanyou and his friends as they descended the steps. He was furious. “I would only expect a lapdog of the Alliance to defend its master.”

InuYasha froze on the stairs.

Slowly, he turned to glare at the Minister, a deep growl underlining his words as they floated across the crowd. “Bastard. Don’t ever make the mistake of thinking that I’m the Alliance’s anything.” The Minister stepped back at the acidity of the hanyou’s tone. Smoldering gold stared for just a moment longer. “Tch! I’m just telling you what most idiots could see if they looked. Try using your brain instead of your damn ambition.”

With that parting comment to the stunned official, and an excited murmuring from the reporters between them, the monk and the two hunters left. The current Minister of Alliance Relations was left silently fuming as his son attempted to rein in the reporters.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~

“I never knew you were such a brilliant public speaker, InuYasha.”

“Shut up, monk, before I use you to sharpen my claws.”

Sango just sighed, grateful that the gates were now in sight. InuYasha was in the worst mood she’d seen him in for almost a year, and her…beloved fiancé was taking gleeful advantage, completely ignoring the fact that his best friend looked angry enough to rip him raw.

Of course, the Alliance had always made the hanyou edgy. But for some reason, today…

“Maybe we should have you speak for the Alliance the next time we have to hold a press conference. It should be soon, because unless I miss my guess, we’ll all be on tonight’s evening news.”

The hunter’s response was a barely restrained snarl. Sango sighed again, seriously considering letting InuYasha alone when he finally decided to cut Miroku in half. She had to admit, he’d done an amazing job of holding his temper so far. Somehow, he’d managed to avoid three potential fights--four if you counted whatever had happened with Kouga and Kagome at the clinic.

It was just so…unusual for him to back away from confrontation.

She stopped in the deserted courtyard, frowning at his back. He’d been heading for the exits from almost the moment that he arrived. It was almost as if he didn’t want to fight because a brawl would keep him from leaving sooner. Now, why…. “InuYasha?”

He sent her an impatient look over his shoulder, not stopping his long strides for the gates. “What?”

“Why are you in such a hurry to leave?”

“I need to check on Kagome.” He didn’t even bother to deny it.

Sango rolled her eyes. Miroku stopped as well--suddenly realizing, she imagined, that he still had things to do at the Alliance before he could leave. He sent her a meaningful glance. He’d noticed InuYasha’s strange behavior as well.

A devious smirk crossed the monk’s face, and he jerked his head at InuYasha’s retreating back. She raised her eyebrows in question as he turned back to the hanyou. “Don’t forget about Naraku,” he called out across the deserted courtyard.

To Sango’s amazement, InuYasha stopped, flinching slightly. In an instant, he was in front of Miroku, his claws fisted in the front material of his robes. “What the hell do you mean by that?”

Miroku looked blandly down at his robes. “I’m just reminding you not to forget about finding out what you can about him.” He looked up, innocent amazement widening his eyes. “What did you think I meant?”

InuYasha released him instantly, an almost indiscernible red flushing his features. “I know that. I won’t forget.” He looked uncomfortable. “I have to go out of the city for a while, ok? I just…want to make sure Kagome’s safe first.”

Sango frowned, but Miroku just nodded serenely, dusting at his robes. “Let us know if you find anything out.”

“InuYasha…”

The look he sent the huntress told her he’d just about had it. “What?”

“You’d tell me if Kagome was in some kind of danger, wouldn’t you?”

He stilled, giving her a hard, indecipherable stare before he turned his back on both of them. “Look, nothing will happen to Kagome.” His tone softened. “I swear it.”

Sango hesitated, sharing another glance with Miroku before nodding mutely. Without another word, they watched as he finally made his way back through the Alliance gates, not even glancing at the guards as they allowed him out.

Miroku waited until they crashed closed once again before he sighed. “Things around here have gotten interesting.”

Sango nodded her agreement. “I have the feeling they’re going to get worse.” She glanced towards the castle, where the politician and his entourage had disappeared.

Miroku followed her glance, then shrugged carelessly. “I have the feeling you may be right. But, there’s nothing we can do at the moment except let things play out as they will.”

Sango sighed with reluctant acceptance of his conclusion. Together, they headed back towards the cluster of buildings behind the pagoda. His hand drifted along her back, skimming her spine as she walked beside him, deep in thought. It settled casually on her bottom, rubbing gently.

Her jaw clenched as she sent him a narrow look from the corner of her eyes.

SLAP!

Miroku fell back, landing hard on his back from the force of her blow, his staff clattering onto the stones beside him. He groaned, then sent her an all-too-familiar look of wounded innocence. “Sango, my love, I was only….”

She glared down at him. “Save it, monk. You know the rules. Never when we’re in public.” She whirled and stormed off with a huff. “You’re lucky that’s all I did, you hopeless pervert.”

She managed to sustain her glower until she was just out of sight.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Please enjoy, and let me know what you think--concrit welcome. ^_^ I truly appreciate you guys who take the time to say you liked it, or let me know how to improve. I read every one, and I know all your names. Thanks.

And a serious extra special thanks to Blackberry. I had such an incredibly hard time with this chapter, and you really brought it into perspective for me. You rock!!

Hopefully the next chapter won’t take nearly so long.

~cheers, Quill