InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Waiting on a Wish ❯ Chapter 12

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

WARNING: This chapter contains explicit sexual content. If you are offended by this kind of stuff, or if you are too young to read this kind of stuff ( i.e., under 18 yrs. old), please do not read any farther. I would never want to offend anyone, so if you don’t like it, I’m warning you right now it might offend--please don’t read it if it will.

Thanks for the consideration,

Quill

 

CHAPTER 12

The fuming, gravelly voice cut into the night, rasping over her internal senses and lashing along her spine. She stilled, her eyes widening, her fingers gripping around the door handle. A fine tension seized her entire body, and for an instant, her mind went blank, and she found herself unable to react.

Then her heart jumped, adding to the dull thickness in her throat. Slowly, she turned, afraid she’d imagined it, afraid she was hallucinating…until she saw the pale-haired figure sitting perfectly balanced on the railing--back against a post, one leg drawn up, and a katana wrapped in his arm, resting against his shoulder.

Her breath caught in her throat, and the tears that she’d been fighting all evening stung as she lost her battle with them. “Inu…Yasha?” Kagome’s voice failed her, coming out a mere whisper of sound in the otherwise silent night. Through the dark, she saw the outline of white ears shift forward as he scowled, unfolding from the railing and dropping effortlessly to his feet. The sword transferred to his fist as he stepped forward through the shadows of the hallway.

“I told you to go straight to the orphanage and not leave until I came back--why the fuck didn’t you?!” Fury laced his tone as he lashed at her with his voice, and a growl underlined his words. He’d been so scared when he couldn’t find her, when she hadn’t been where she’d said she would be. “What the fucking hell were you thinking, wandering the city with a youkai like that son of a bitch on the loose?! You could have been hurt!”

Kagome didn’t even flinch. She just stood unmoving in front of her door and stared at him, the tears welling in her eyes blurring his image even more than the shadows surrounding them. He glared back, clearly waiting for an answer.

Then, almost of its own accord, her hand lifted, and she was hurling her purse at him as hard as she could. “You…jerk!” He caught the purse with his free hand, a soft sound of surprise issuing from his throat. “I could have been hurt? You’re the idiot who ran off to fight the biggest rogue I’ve seen in my entire life!” Despite her volume, her voice wavered. “You don’t have any right to lecture me when what you do is ten times worse!”

Incensed, he threw the bag against the wall. “Lecture?! Screw that! I’m a youkai and a hunter! If I come up against a rogue, I can defend myself! If you--” He broke off, distracted by the low, disturbed sound that came out of her. “Kagome?”

Before he could say anything else, she sucked in a breath and threw herself at him, wrapping her arms around his waist and burying her face in his chest. “Where were you?!” Her words, despite their breathy softness, rang clearly in his ears.

The wetness on her face dampened the dust coating his shirt as she pressed herself closer. “I was so…. That thing, it was…we saw it on TV! It took hours to kill…and I was waiting, but you didn’t come, even after it was dead…and I called Miroku and Sango, and neither one of them was answering their phones…and then yours didn’t even pick up! And I thought…I thought that you were hurt--” She choked softly on her own breath, her fists clenched into the material at his back, twisting it, “or worse, you impulsive idiot!”

Shocked out of his anger, InuYasha could do nothing but stare down at her through the rambling tirade against his chest. His eyes widened when his nose caught the salt of her tears; her body shook, trembling against his. Even after she fell silent, it took him a moment to translate the fear in her tone. “Kagome…“ He blinked. “You were…really worried, weren’t you?” Astonishment tinged the gruff words.

“Of course I was worried about you, stupid! You could have been killed!” Her fist thumped at his chest, but she didn’t move otherwise. Then she added, in a smaller, more suffocated tone, “So many people were.”

Immediately, he gentled. His ears lowered as his body relaxed into hers. His arms came around her, holding her tight as she cried into his shirt, chin resting atop of her head. His voice was muted, fingertips stroking over the feathery tips of her hair. “Baka. Why were you worried?” He rumbled softly, deep in his throat--a laugh. “Feh. As if a stupid little thing like that could actually hurt me.”

Stupid little thing?! She didn’t know whether to kill him or kiss him. Whatever that thing had been, it was neither stupid, nor little. Hundreds had died tonight, crushed or eaten by a monstrous youkai…and he had the nerve to laugh at her for worrying about a hunter whose job it was to take the damned thing down?

Killing him was sounding the better option.

Then his chin nuzzled softly against her hair, and Kagome shook her head and buried deeper into his arms, slightly embarrassed by the growing dampness of the cotton against her cheek. She had been worried. She’d seen the destruction on the TV; the casualties had been severe. She’d dealt with quite a few of them firsthand. Through the endless procession of surgeries, stitches, and scared, wounded faces--the cold terror that he had been lying severely wounded or dying somewhere under the battle’s ruins--had eaten away at her.

Now she knew he was fine--mussed and dirty, but real in her arms--and the relief was crippling, rising to couple with exhaustive stress of the night’s activities; she felt completely exposed, emotionally defenseless. She hiccupped, digging her fingers into the already twisted material at his back, reassured by the warmth of the skin through the cotton.

She inhaled, taking in the musky smell of exertion and dirt, unable to completely curb the tears. “InuYasha, you’re ok. Thank the gods you’re ok. You didn’t die. I was so afraid….” She couldn’t ever remember being so unreasonably terrified in her life. “I was so afraid I would lose you.”

The admission slipped out before she even realized it, and then it was too late to take it back.

He sucked in a breath, half-stunned, half-disbelieving, and his hands gripped at her shoulders, pushing her gently away from him. “Lose me?” Golden eyes imprisoned her wide, glazed ones in the semi-darkness. “Damn stupid….” His features blazed with intensity, and he shook his head. He muttered something fierce, his voice as harsh as his features. “What the hell do you think I’ve been doing? I can’t…. You’re the reason I’m even here. I’m the one who can’t--” He cut off the words and tugged, his mouth descending aggressively to smother hers.

The kiss was demanding, frustrated--rougher than he’d really intended. She wasn’t the only one who’d been upset and affected by the stress of the attack. His whole godsdamned night had been one scare building on another.

He’d been worried too.

He’d been worried about Sango, who’d gotten injured--not something he wanted to tell Kagome--and about Miroku, who’d almost gotten himself killed trying to get her to safety. He’d been worried about the damn rogue going any farther than it had and possibly endangering more people; it had taken the strength of several hunters just to hold the damn thing in Roppongi; then it had taken hours before his way was clear enough--Damn the city anyway!--to use Tetsusaiga without harming anyone else. Mostly, though, he’d been worried about Kagome. He’d been afraid, deeply afraid, that something would happen while he wasn’t around.

That he couldn’t be with her, that he couldn’t see her--knowing she was safer away from him than anywhere near him--had killed him.

It had taken him hours too long to be done with the whole damn thing since the Council had demanded an immediate account of all hunters. And then…holy fuck, she hadn’t been where she’d said she would be. Heart in his throat, he’d practically beaten down the door to a damn orphanage, singeing himself on the damned miko wards, to find out where she was--when, if he’d only used common sense, he could have figured it out for himself--only to get to the clinic and find her gone again.

He hadn’t known what to do when he’d actually beaten her home. Waiting for her to show up had been nerve-wracking. He’d been so relieved to finally hear her yelling at him.

But now she was crying, and he didn’t know how to handle that, and there was only so much anyone could be expected to take. So he was taking it all out on her--the fear, the frustration, the whole last damn week--with a bruising kiss…that she didn’t seem to mind at all. In fact, she was responding enthusiastically, her mouth crushing back, lips parting and tongue slipping through to brush and tangle with his. It only took him seconds to lose himself, to forget the anger and be consumed by the enthusiastic welcome of her mouth.

Her hands moved to his collar, fingertips reaching to find skin. One hand curled around his nape, pressing firmly. The other smoothed along the skin of his neck, unconsciously looking for the warm pulse of his heartbeat. Her touch encountered a scratch--a long, thin line--and she broke the kiss with a gasp, pulling away to stare up at him, suddenly reminded that she didn’t really know if he was injured or not.

The partial moon only cast the dimmest of lights through the night, though the stars were brighter than normal because of the power outage. She could barely make out his features. She peered at him accusingly. “You…you’re hurt, aren’t you?”

He stared at her, disbelieving that she had stopped to ask him something so ridiculous. “What? Of course I’m n--” He choked off as her hands slid down his front, only to smooth back up and over his chest to find the scratch on his shoulder.

“You are,” she challenged softly. “Here.” Her fingers skimmed along the edge of the rather significant tear in his shirt, grazing lightly over the scab that had formed long ago. She felt clearly the faint tremor that wracked through his body; its current passed through her fingertips to pool low and thick in her belly. Her voice dropped lower, becoming a sheer exhalation rather than true sound. “Where else?”

He wanted to deny it, but the air had seized in his lungs, and he couldn’t produce the words. Her hands moved again, over his shoulders to lay against his neck, spreading to make sure no more abrasions could be found. Her fingers reached up to explore the planes of his face, searching for any injuries that she couldn’t see.

He didn’t make a sound of protest, just stood still and let her, something deep and quiet inside him stirring as he absorbed the intimacy of her touch. With every gentle pass of her fingertips, the longing between them coiled and tightened, entwining around them in the thin, cool air of morning.

He could feel the mounting excitement in the rise and fall of her chest. The faint pressure of her breasts brushed against his shirt in quickening intervals; electricity thrummed even through the barriers of their clothes. His nostrils flared slightly. With each moment, her scent heightened, provoking his arousal--a dull pressure in his veins that sharpened viciously with his every inhalation--thickening the blood in his head before sending it elsewhere.

He nearly groaned. Shit. Too much. Way too much…and not nearly enough.

His arms, still wrapped around her, tightened, pulling them flush, letting her feel the growing effect of her touch. She gasped again, but eagerly accepted the renewed kiss, her fingers curling into his hair, combing through the silver strands, then grabbing tight to pull him closer.

He took one step forward, then another, pushing her back with his body just enough so he could reach out a hand, grasping around until he turned the key that was already in the lock, allowing the door to swing open. A few more steps and they were inside, and he was shoving the door closed behind them. The sword in his hand hit the wood of the entryway with a clattering thump, and with a brief stumble, they hit the wall in the hallway, hands now free to roam.

Her fingers yanked at his shirt so her hands could slide over the skin of his chest and stomach, searching out any hidden wounds that he would try to pretend didn’t exist. His hands grasped at her skirt, wrenching the material up to bunch around her waist, brushing along smooth skin, claws scraping bare thighs for the first time. Their kiss had become frantic and hard, teeth nipping at soft lips, tugging and sucking as tongues tangled briefly, parting only for the occasional haggard gasp.

He lifted, guiding her legs to wrap around his waist. She wound around him eagerly. Their hips connected, and she whimpered into his mouth as the startling pressure of his erection nestled against her swollen center. Intuitively, her hips shifted, rubbing against him.

The action ripped a growl from his throat, and in retaliation he rocked against her, earning the loud moan echoing into his mouth. He gritted his teeth. Her scent alone was driving him insane. Every time he drew in a breath, her arousal assaulted his senses. He was already having a hard time controlling his instincts through the sexual haze coating his mind without the maddening little motions and sounds.

He didn’t want to hurt her.

His mouth trailed from hers, leaving satin lips to savor silken, mouth-watering skin. She tugged at his head, directing him downward, her head falling back to allow unimpeded access the delicate skin of her neck. He obliged her, dropping small, hungry kisses down her body, stopping briefly to draw on the soft skin where jaw and neck met. His claw-tipped fingers skimmed over her shoulders, feeling along her collar-bone to curl over the edge of her top. With a sharp tug, it ripped in two, splitting down the center, clearing his way. The only notice she spared it was the time it took to shrug from the sleeves. The annoying material floated away, instantly forgotten. She was left in black lace, only identified as such by the way it dug into her pale skin in the almost non-existent light. The bra formed little hindrance to the warmth of his mouth as he trailed along the newly revealed flesh.

He left a damp trail from her throat down between her breasts, teasing along the edges of the material, skimming across the swelling above it. Her heavy, panting breaths pushed the soft skin into his face, a temptation he didn’t care to resist. His tongue flicked out, gliding roughly over the tops of her breasts to push at the lace, seeking out nipples cresting with excitement against the material. Through the barrier of her bra, he laved at the peaks, dampening the lace, mouth closing to suckle as the hands framing her ribs held her in place.

The slight pulling sensation slammed through her body like a shock, and the clutching in her belly became a fierce, demanding ache. Her eyes closed tightly as a strange tingling raced along her nerves. Her tiny whimpering became full-blown, breathless moans. Her arms went around his head, and the grip of her legs tightened around his waist; her hips hitched against his.

Another growl sounded, almost warningly. He lost patience with the material encasing her breasts, and a single slice bared her completely. He took full advantage, tasting, fascinated by the subtle textural differences he found between her aroused nipples, and the softer skin surrounding them. Delicately, lightly, he scraped his teeth over the taut peaks, careful of the sharp edges of his fangs on sensitive skin. His fine-grained tongue followed, soothing the scrapes, curling gently.

Kagome whimpered loudly, arching her back to bring him closer.

His hands reached down to rip at the skirt bunched around her waist. Not even bothering to look for a fasten, he simply sliced them off her. Her panties matched her bra, and they released her rich scent, already soaked through with excitement. He paused in his attention to her breasts, his hands trembling slightly around her waist as he inhaled, all of his senses and what was left of his brain savoring her spice. His claws and fingertips hovered along her skin, hesitating over the thin elastic band securing the black lace low on her hips.

Her head tipped back, and she let out a low moaning scream.

“InuYasha…please.” Her voice was muted and husky, thick and soft with desire--barely aware of the plea as it left her lips. Her hips tilted, pressing slowly against his arousal, yet another instinctively seductive caress. He felt the touch even through the constriction of his jeans. A tremor ran through his body, and he hovered on the brink of temptation. So easy to simply join them once and for all. She was more than ready for him; her entire body practically begged him, and his own instincts demanded that he give her what she wanted. So fast, so swiftly.

Too fast. She was a virgin, and he could hurt her more than was necessary by being careless, damn it all to hell! He had to find a way to slow them down.

His teeth clenched, and a frustrated hiss escaped, even as his mind uttered a long list of all the expletives he’d ever heard. His hands gripped around her thighs, and gently but forcibly unwrapping her legs from around his waist, a move she protested with low vocal groans that echoed his growl. Her legs buckled the minute her bare feet hit the wooden floor, unable to support her despite the tension holding her in a tight grip. His hands went to her hips, holding her in place with very little effort.

Her bare feet touched the cold wood, and she wondered inanely when she had lost her shoes. Then his mouth returned to her body, and she lost all focus on anything but the energy humming through her limbs. Steamy pleasure swamped her, heat rising through her skin, and a thick ache pulsed between her legs.

Swiftly, with the wet brush of lips, and the erotic roughness of tongue, he made his way down her flat stomach, stealing all her faculties and earning a strangled squeal when he rasped over her belly button. He paused when he reached her hips, his nose nuzzling at the sensitive line where the elastic hugged her skin. She froze, her breath suspended. Then a delicate scratching as his fingers curled under the slim waistband, and she looked down in astonishment.

He didn’t look up, his attention focused intently on the scrap of strategically blended lace and cotton. He inhaled, his growl settling into a low, steady rumble. Through whatever dim light filtered into her apartment, she saw the silver head bend, and she felt a kiss, a tiny touch on the skin just above the elastic. Then the tiniest lash with the tip of his tongue. The muscles in her lower abdomen tightened, contracting reflexively. His growl deepened. Teasing kisses brushed over the thin material covering her, touching on her hips before moving lower.

She watched with wide eyes as his tongue flicked out again, sweeping a gentle, deliberate lap over creamy, damp fabric, savoring her most intimate flavor seeping through the insignificant lace. Her mind went blank, faint, unable to protest, unable to encourage. The breath rushed from her body, and her head fell back to smack against the wall.

“Oh, gods!” Her voice was a mere pant of sound, shocked, stunned, giddy. “InuYasha, don’t…”

“Don’t?” For the first time, he looked up.

Somehow, in the darkness, her glazed eyes met his golden ones. A question, a hint of concern shone in the smoldering depths, and he hovered just above her. Waiting.

He would stop if she asked, even if it killed him. She knew it without a shadow of a doubt. He was giving her one chance, one last opportunity, to halt this if she wasn’t ready.

She paused, staring down at him. She already knew her answer, had known it from the moment she saw him waiting for her on her balcony. She’d seen so much death tonight, so much pain and suffering that she--with all her supposed knowledge and skill--hadn’t been able to do anything about. What she wanted now was a confirmation of life in one of its most basic acts; she wanted the pleasure to help rebuild the spirit the night had stolen from her. She wanted it from him, for him, and with him.

She flicked her tongue over her lip, biting back another groan. “Don’t stop.”

She sensed more than saw him relax. “Heh.” She heard his husky, growling laugh, and his hands grasped her thighs again, pulling them forward to drape over his shoulders, using his body as a brace to keep her up against the wall. The position was precarious at best, leaving her completely dependant on him to keep her from falling. Rather than being distracting, it was exciting, the uncertain stability only serving to heighten her senses even further.

He’d had enough of her underwear, and with an intolerant twist of his fingers, the delicate lace was gone. A quiver ran through her as the cool air of her apartment drifted over burning skin for the first time. She could feel his breath--heavy pants, the lightest of caresses--on her sensitive flesh as he hesitated briefly…then leaned in to taste her. His lips pressed against her in an intimate kiss, then his tongue drew a slow line along her swollen folds, parting them, its roughness a shocking contrast to the slickness gathered there.

Slowly, with careful, exploratory laps, he began an assault on her senses, narrowing her focus to him, to his mouth, to his tongue. He slipped inside her, stroking briefly as his mouth nuzzled against her, growling his enjoyment. Her eyes squeezed shut, and her head fell back against the wall. Her hands took a death grip in his hair as her volume increased dramatically, alternating between wordless moans and gasps, and broken or incomplete cries of his name.

It was the first time he could ever remember welcoming loud noise of any kind.

He found that spot, that one tiny spot that made all women insane, and surrounded it with his mouth, listening carefully, using her reactions to guide his. His hands, laying flat along her waist, moved, raking ever so gently along the skin of her hips.

She yanked at his head, her grip tight as she moaned and twisted against his mouth. The sensations had her in a state of blissful agony, and she was barely aware of what he was doing anymore, just that she would die if he stopped. Then his claws reached up to drag along her heaving sides, and she felt his tongue inside her again, and with a muted shriek, the building pressure snapped. She reached for it eagerly, allowing pleasure to engulf her mind even as she clung to him desperately, trusting him to catch her when she fell.

Distantly, she heard his growl, felt him shrug off her legs, and his arms caught her as he surged upward, lifting her limp form and carrying her through the darkness. Her head lolled against his shoulder, her breathing ragged, her body so relaxed that she didn’t realize that he’d brought her to her bedroom until her back hit the mattress.

Settling her gently onto her bed--her big, familiar, comfortable, Americanized bed--she felt him next to her, felt him as his body covered hers. One jean-clad knee slipped between her legs as his weight settled on his elbows, caging her with his arms. His head bent forward, his nose nuzzling at the corner of her jaw. She gave a low moan and a slight tilt of her head.

“Kagome?” His voice rasped thick with raw emotion and need. “Please tell me you’re ok to keep going. I really don’t think I can stop now.”

The ragged warning surprised a giggle out of her, and he lifted his head at the sound, searching her face in the dark. She reached up a hand to caress his lips, her fingers slipping over the remnants of her desire still coating his mouth. Her eyes widened, and a rush of breath escaped her lungs. Wordlessly, she grasped at his head and pulled him down for a kiss, tasting herself as he tasted her, pushing her tongue into his mouth to taste the curious mixture of the both of them together.

She could still feel the need crowding her body, the hot, achy wanting pushing them towards each other. Her previous climax hadn’t settled the craving--it had only taken the edge off. It was him she wanted, his body in hers, the fervent intimacy of body clasped with body. Even with their earlier insanity somewhat abated, she wouldn’t turn back. Couldn’t. He needed her just as much--if not more--than she needed him, and she could never deny him that.

He understood her unspoken message, and reassured, took control. His hands clasped her head, holding her still while he consumed her mouth, sweeping inside and exploring thoroughly, aggressively laying claim to every moist inch that he touched. She could feel his tenseness, the readiness of his body as he lay over her.

His clothes formed a frustrating barrier between them. She tangled her hands in his shirt, silently insisting that he remove it, feeling the inequality of being naked on a bed while he remained fully clothed. She wanted him naked too, dammit!

With an irritated growl, he complied, releasing her to push up. He ripped the shirt over his head, and then it was gone--where to, she didn’t know, and didn’t care. All she cared about was the skin he’d exposed, the as yet unseen strength of him.

Lamenting the lack of light, she reached out and set her palms against his skin--smooth, bare, and scorching. Everything about him was rigid, taut, strictly controlled--even his breathing came in shallow, restrained bursts in between breath-stealing kisses. She relished the feel of skin and muscle, drew her hands slowly down his body.

Her fingers brushed over his nipples, and she felt a shudder run through him; she smiled, but her hands didn’t stop feeling across his chest and down the ridges of his abdomen. She was thorough, her hands covering every inch of his skin, still unconsciously searching for any wounds he might be carrying.

She found another one, a shallow groove that ran along his lower belly. With gentle censure, she bit at his lip, her nails circling the minor cut that she knew would be vanished by morning. His breath hitched, and she felt the muscles under her fingertips jerk; with a rasping growl his hands grabbed at hers, pulling them away from him and slamming them down next to her head. She gave a breathy laugh, noting the sensitivity for future reference.

In response, his body lowered to hover just above hers, and he began a slow assault on her neck. He took his time, grazing over every inch of her he could reach with his mouth while still keeping her hands imprisoned. He took pleasure in each pass of his tongue, in each gentle nibble, in each brief suckle, knowing he was arousing her body again in steady degrees.

Kagome felt the heat he was generating as it rose from deep inside her, spreading like fire along her skin, stopping to quiver around certain key points, increasing her temperature. She squirmed beneath him, biting at her lips and turning her head with a moan. His unruffled, unhurried pace contrasted starkly with their earlier madness, and his grip on her wrists and the firm weight of his body held her motionless for the deliberate plundering of her senses with his mouth alone.

Her inability to respond in any way was absolute torture.

Impatiently, she flexed her hands in his grip, twisting slightly, silently begging for release. He paused, lifted his head, considered her. She noted the brief flicking motion of his ears before his hands slid from her wrists and down her arms. His calloused palms abraded over smooth, sweat-dampened skin, following the path his mouth had taken over her body.

With her hands free, Kagome returned to her study of his, dancing her fingers along every inch of him she could reach, even as he did things to her body that were wiping out her mind, blurring coherent thought. She almost clung to him; his skin, the definition of muscle, the firm heat of his body, grounded her, helped her deal with the sensations that were slowly pushing her beyond whatever limits she’d once had.

InuYasha’s attention was absorbed completely in his exploration of her body. His hands and lips wandered aimlessly, experimenting to learn what she liked. It wasn’t hard to figure out--Kagome was vocal about everything. Every lick along the underside of her breast elicited a gasp; any attention to the dip of her belly button, a moan. Her sides were sensitive enough that even the slightest brushes had her squirming--mindless, wordless murmurs issuing from her throat. And when he raked his claws ever so lightly just above her dark nest of curls…well, she liked that a lot. Loudly a lot.

Her fingers wandered up to his ears, rubbing the fine fur along the sheer edges, nails scratching, fingertips massaging tenderly. He stilled, his mouth just above her belly button. His eyes slitted in pleasure, and his entire being focused on what her hands were doing. A small smile tilted her lips, and despite her ragged breath, she hummed, delighted to have found yet another weakness.

He moaned and surged up her body. A rough, wet tongue encircled a nipple, and he sipped teasingly at the erect peak. One hand sank into the mattress along her side, claws diagramming faint patterns onto one of the most sensitive areas of her body; the other dipped between her thighs, one long finger sliding into her with excruciating care, while his thumb sought and found the swollen bundle of nerves above, passing over it lightly.

Kagome gasped, and arched slightly against his hand, her inner muscles clenching reflexively, drawing on the long digit. A growl erupted from his throat, and whatever was left of their leisurely mood was gone.

His mouth seized at hers, crushing, urgent, open. His hands gripped tightly around her waist, while his knees gently spread her legs.

He still wore his jeans, and she found them abrasive and uncomfortable. She scratched her nails down his chest, searching for the waistband, before hooking in the loops sitting low on his hips, tugging insistently. Her fingers found the fastening, groping frantically, brushing against the tight swell of his arousal. He shuddered at the butterfly touch. Growling again, he wrenched away from her, sitting back to work at the button, freeing his erection and ridding them both of his pants.

Objecting to even that much separation, she started to sit up, only to be pinned down as his hands shoved at her shoulders, and the hard, demanding force of his kiss returned to her mouth. She grabbed at his neck, uncaring as long she had some form of contact with him. Anything to help relieve the pressure within, the sparking fire that burned in her gut and raced through her veins.

His knees nudged her thighs farther apart. Her fingers tightened painfully as she felt the sleek, scalding heat of him brush against her core. Another whimper, one hovering on the edge of fear and need, slipped past her lips.

Panting with need, trying desperately to retain some semblance of control, he pulled back just enough to make out the outline of her features in the dark. Silently, he cursed the darkness that hid her from him now. Now, when he desperately wanted to see her eyes, read the expressiveness of her gaze.

His teeth gritted. He might not be able to have the light, but he could have her acknowledgement all the same. His fingers gripped at her chin, making sure she stared at him, and he had just enough light that he could see her eyes widen as he began to push into her.

She bit her lip at the sensation, but refused to look anywhere but at him. Her hands flexed, and her fingernails dug into his back, pulling at him. She tensed slightly at the sudden discomfort, and he hesitated, his thumb brushing a silent question along her jaw. She shook her head, and wound her arms around his shoulders, her silent encouragement obvious in the light, open-mouthed kiss she place on his lips.

Unwilling and unable to drag out their torture any longer, he shoved into her with a quick, hard thrust.

She felt the breath leave her body in shock.

Their kiss broke as her head fell back onto the mattress, and her eyes shut tightly. The pain had been expected, but worse than she’d thought. Above her, InuYasha went perfectly still, and she could feel his intense golden eyes studying the strain on her features as she struggled to adjust to his invasion, her breathing slight and shallow.

His head dropped forward to rest against her collar bone, thick silver tresses falling over his shoulders to feather lightly against her skin. His breathing was ragged, and she could feel the slight heave of his chest as he gasped for air. His claws shredded into the sheet beside her head, and he swallowed audibly.

“Kagome… gods…are you ok? I didn’t want…” His soft, penitent whisper floated across her breast. The subdued remorse in his tone caught at her, and her breath snagged in her lungs. Tenderly, she brought her hands to his face, caressing at his cheeks, reassuring him without blame.

“Shhh. Just…wait a moment.”

Kagome’s eyes slid shut, and she concentrated on the feeling of fullness, on relaxing the tensed muscles of her body. She gave the tiniest start when she felt his tongue flick out along her collar bone, stoking long, comforting swipes over her heated skin, moving slowly into the hollow of her clavicle and up the column of her neck.

Some of her rigidity drained immediately, and her head tilted to allow him better access, reveling in the ministrations. She loved his tongue. It was always just slightly rougher than she expected, and somehow managed to be both soothing and thrilling all at once.

Her hands were stoking unconsciously, rubbing his trembling shoulders and rigid arms as he fought his own instincts to stay motionless. It had to be hard for him--he was seated so tightly inside of her that she could feel every throbbing inch of him burning against her skin.

A slight smile flickered over her lips. She was amazed at his consideration, his determination for her comfort. His concern for her well-fare was far more beguiling than his strength could ever be.

It took several slow, drawn-out minutes for her body to relax and accept him, to release its uncomfortable tension. But eventually Kagome became aware of the subtle shift in the strain on her body, and with it the urge to do something, to move, to relieve the pressure in another way.

With a slow lick of her own tongue over her lips, she shifted experimentally, her hips hitching upward slightly, allowing him to slide deeper inside of her. She drew a sharp breath at the sensation; InuYasha stopped mid-lick, a shudder racking his body. His head lifted, a barely restrained rumble vibrating through his chest. In the shadows, darkened amber eyes searched her face in silent, urgent question.

“Kagome…” He barely breathed her name, the lightest of whispers.

Kagome reached her hands up to his face, cupping his cheeks and pulling his mouth to hover just over hers. She flicked out her tongue across his lips, savoring his taste before whispering into his mouth. “Now.”

A growl ripped from his throat, and he sealed their mouths together, stealing her breath. He moved then, his gentle thrusts shocking her once again--this time with pleasure. Her back arched, she moaned low in her throat, and her legs bent slightly, pushing her hips to meet his. He buried his body as deep into hers as it would go, shuddering at the incredible sensation, at the unrelenting, intimate clutch of the soft skin encasing him.

It was awkward at first; it took them a few minutes to feel out each other’s pace. But then they were moving together, with an urgency so deep it drove them both. The pressure, already high to begin with, built quickly. The sounds issuing from Kagome’s throat grew louder, more demanding as she clawed at his back and sides, the hard scratches only adding an edge to his pleasure.

He buried his face in her neck, his mouth on her skin, the slickness of their exertion mimicking the wet slide of his length plunging into her. His hands curled around her slim shoulders. His thrusts grew harder, faster--whatever gentleness he’d had now forgotten in the drive for completion. Breathing came in short, gasping bursts, only drawing in the necessary amount of oxygen to sustain their momentum.

She reached it first, peaking with a wail, her nails biting into the skin of his back, her head thrown back, scattering her hair across the sheets. He tasted blood, his teeth cutting into his own lip as her satisfaction quivered and contracted around him in a maddening caress.

He pulled her as close as he could, folding his arms around her as his next few thrusts tumbled him after her into climax. His body quaked by violent shudders, he released himself into her, completely losing himself for a just a moment in mindless bliss, breathing wordless nonsense into her skin.

For a long while, they were lost in each other’s arms--breathless, shattered, satiated. They lay tangled together, arms and legs twined, waiting for some semblance of normal thought to return. Neither cared to move.

InuYasha had his head tucked against her neck, fighting a growl of wholly male satisfaction as he took in her scent. It was altered now, marked by his essence within her body. She was his--not yet permanently, but for the moment, enough.

His nose twitched against her skin, and she gave a drained giggle when it tickled.

A slight frown curved his brows. She was completely exhausted. He could smell it, feel it in the idle stroke of her hands on his back, hear it in the tempo of her breathing. He was aware she’d been at the clinic all night--he could detect blood and the sterile, numbing scent of medicines lingering on her skin.

His head lifted, and he stared at her, golden eyes anxious. Even in the darkness, he could see the satisfied flush coloring her features, and--despite his concern--the beginnings of a smile tugged at his mouth. His fingers pushed at the damp strands of black clinging to the sides of her face. “You’re tired.”

“Mmmmm.” Kagome smiled in return, her fingers brushing over his mouth. “I’m fine.” She whispered. “Better than fine.” Her eyelids drooped heavily, and her fingers wandered, tracing his features. She turned her head to drop a soft kiss on his palm. “InuYasha…thank you.” Her mouth barely formed the muted words.

Thank you. His head bowed again, hair falling across his face as the thanks seized in his chest. The whisper had been heartfelt, laced with pure sincerity--and probably underserved. If only she knew…if only she was aware of how truly dangerous her life could become. If she knew, would she still thank him then? Or would she blame him like he blamed himself?

If he had his way, she’d never find out.

He stared through the darkness for a moment, then looked up, only to find her eyes closed. An exasperated sigh left his throat. He shook his head. She was already half asleep.

Ignoring her protesting murmur, he withdrew, despite the rather enticing pull of her inner muscles, and turned her to spoon against him. She shivered, and he pulled the sheet over both of them before lodging her back tight to his chest, wrapping his arms securely around her front. She didn’t even try to fight him, wriggling to get comfortable and curling her hands around his forearms, cuddling into his warmth. With a sigh and a few words of mumbled nonsense, she was asleep, her head tucked against his shoulder.

He stayed awake for most of the night, solemn eyes contemplating her form in the darkness. She fit perfectly in his arms, her posture completely trusting as she slept within them. By accepting him into her body, she’d accepted him as her protector, and something deep inside him had eased with the knowledge. She was safe with him, finally--finally--where she belonged, and from here on out, with him she would stay.

Contentment crept through him, catching him by surprise. For once he wasn’t on edge, senses hyper-focused for any sign of some unknown enemy or danger. He’d almost forgotten what it felt like to be so relaxed.

So he watched her--watched the rise of her chest as she breathed, watched her eyes move as she dreamed, watched her shift blissfully in her sleep--until the sky beyond the blinds began to lighten. The electricity kicked on at some point, and not long after, the faintest stirrings of life began to sound throughout the building.

Eventually, he allowed his eyes to close, his body curling protectively around hers as he joined her in sleep. Peaceful. At ease.

Dreamless.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~

Kagome’s eyes drifted open lazily and she stared at the spots of sunlight sprinkled across the ceiling of her bedroom. Early morning. She gave a single, slow blink, drowsily debating the merits of returning to sleep. She felt too good to actually get out of bed--heavy, relaxed, and deliciously weary. Heat cocooned her body, and the warmth bid her to stay put. She found she agreed, and, amiably, her eyes began to drift closed again.

Warm breath stirred her hair, and in response a silent sigh slipped from her lips. InuYasha…

Her eyes popped open as the night before sharpened vividly in her mind. Every moan, every whisper, every action came back in acute detail. A fierce blush spread over her skin, and her heart gave a heavy thud of amazement in her chest. Had that really been her? Had that really just happened?

She turned her head and encountered the solid flesh of his shoulder. He lay next to her on his side, his legs tangled around hers under the sheets. His chest rose and fell in the even flow of sleep, while his body held her in place. He had one arm wrapped around her to drape across her stomach, his clawed hand splayed firmly over her hip, the other thrown across the pillows above their heads. One leg had slipped between hers, curving around her calf. His head bent close, his nose practically in her hair.

Even in his sleep, he was domineering. She couldn’t move even if she wanted to.

Not that she was complaining.

Kagome glanced up, and a smile tilted at her lips. He looked absolutely adorable. His head rested comfortably in the indent of her favorite pillow, his beautiful hair spreading out around him, and his ears twitched involuntarily at random intervals. His eyes were closed, and his features were lax and peaceful in slumber. He looked so much younger and more exposed--deceptively harmless--when he slept.

She bit her lip, gazing thoughtfully at her sleeping hanyou. Carefully, cautiously, she searched her conscience…but could find no regrets for last night’s actions in the rational light of day. She could still remember the abject fear that held her for most of the night--the soul-deep terror that he would die, and she’d never see him again. The relief that had swamped her on seeing him had shocked her with a realization.

He’d become so important to her.

Somehow--she couldn’t figure out how, but he had--in the space of only a few days, he’d managed to earn her trust, her respect, and her…

Her face cleared and she shied away from the thought. She cared about him--more than she thought she could care about anyone in only a few days. Last night, she’d been confronted with the possibility of losing whatever was growing between them.

No, she had no regrets.

But she had a few worries. What now? Now that he’d gotten what he wanted from her, would he leave her? He was still here now, but that didn’t mean he would stay. Uncertainty didn’t sit well with her, and right now she had no idea what to expect.

His angry, frustrated words from the night before drifted through her head. What the hell do you think I’ve been doing? I can’t…. You’re the reason I’m even here. I’m the one who can’t….

A smile bloomed, despite her best efforts to curb it. She didn’t want to acknowledge the way his words made her feel, the thrill they sent through her. He’d sounded so…desperate. So upset. So invested.

She just wished she understood better. What couldn’t he do? What was he doing? What was he thinking? What was he refusing to tell her?

What had prompted him to come after her so single-mindedly?

But then again…maybe she was just being paranoid. Maybe she was reading too much into the whole situation. Maybe he just…wanted her.

But if it was truly that simple, then was there anything to keep him from walking away? Death, after all, wasn’t the only way that people could lose each other. She wished she knew for sure so she could start dealing with it, start bracing.

Still…whatever he intended, she refused to regret her night with him.

She sighed, silently so she didn’t wake him, her gaze wandering from his face to his chest, studying the even planes of muscle and skin that she had only felt the night before. She’d seen him without clothes once before, but that had been in the clinical capacity of his doctor. Now she was free to study him in the more intimate capacity of--she gave a tiny gulp, her brain still having trouble wrapping around the concept--a lover.

I guess Miso won her bet.

His body was lean and lithe, tightly sculpted, with no excess fat. She could see the chisel and mold of every muscle, watched them shift and bunch slightly with each quiet breath. A very nice body, blessed with youkai strength, healing, and metabolism.

Her grin was back. Oh well. If you’re going to do something…

She noticed a pale, thin line running obliquely through the middle of his chest, the only remnants of the jagged wound that had almost taken his life. She frowned at the tiny scar. Youkai didn’t scar at all unless the wound was very grave. Life-threatening.

Her fingers reached out and stroked tenderly along the whitish slash. The scar was completely healed, no tissue raising the skin, the only indication of a wound the slight difference in color. She could find no trace of his other scratches, the ones he had received last night. Absently, she wondered how many other scars he had on his body. The thought didn’t sit well, and to soothe her mind, she leaned forward and pressed a feather-light kiss to the mark.

A rumble sounded in his chest, and she felt the vibrations against her lips. Startled, she glanced up to meet the languid golden gaze focused so intently on her. Her breath stopped and she stared, caught by his expression. The faintest hint of a smile had softened his mouth, and his eyes revealed equal amounts of relief and warmth as they searched her features. Gradually, an intimate, comfortable feel settled into the air around them, and she felt the core of her anxiety begin to melt away.

At the same time, she was struck with the realization that--once again--he had already been awake. Her cheeks pinkened, heightening her color. She rolled her eyes, but was unable to resist returning her gaze to his. “You don’t sleep much, do you?”

At her wry tone, his mouth curved up into a grin--a real smile, complete with amusement and a slight crinkling at the corners of his eyes. He propped his head up in the palm of his free hand. “Youkai, remember? I’m not nearly as weak as you.”

Again, she was caught by his look. The smile, combined with the free, easy manner, stunned her. She’d yet to see him so completely unguarded. She had a feeling he never was.

She felt her own mouth tug upward in response. He had such a nice smile. He really should do it more often.

He blinked slowly, the smile fading somewhat as he continued to study her face. “How are you feeling? Are you alright?”

She felt her blush deepen, but didn’t look away. “I’m…feeling very well, thank you.”

A small frown carved the skin between his brows, his gaze growing troubled. “I didn’t…hurt you too bad, did I?”

For a moment, she was surprised by the question. She frowned, concentrating on her body for a moment. She still hadn’t really moved around yet, but… “I’m a little sore, I think.” She admitted. The smile tipped her mouth again. “But not too bad.”

One golden eye closed and he studied her. He shifted, rolling so he hovered over her, his hand sliding from her hip to cup her cheek. His head bent, and he captured her mouth in a slow, chaste kiss. His lips brushed lightly across hers, caressing sweetly rather than instigating deeper contact. She felt it, understood it, accepted it for what it was--a silent apology for any pain he had caused--and was touched by it, even if she didn’t see the need.

She hummed with pleasure and her hands spread against his chest. A thought struck, and she smiled against his mouth as she let her hands wind around his head, fingers seeking through his hair. They found their target, and her nails scratched gently along the base of his ears while her fingertips soothed the thick, soft skin--a repeat of her actions from the night before.

He hesitated, then moaned softly, burying his head in the crook of her neck to give her better access. She hummed again as he allowed his weight to settle comfortably on top of her, then shrugged her shoulder at him. “You like that, don’t you? How cute. Just like a puppy.”

He growled softly, without heat. “Bitch.” His warm breath floated the mumbled comment across her skin. The disgruntlement in his tone prompted a delighted grin, and she bit her lip to hold in a giggle. She noticed he didn’t object to her ministrations--rather, his ears canted slightly downward, encouraging her touch.

The lay like that for a while--his body practically enfolding hers, his face in her neck, her arms wrapped snugly around his head--too content to move.

InuYasha’s ears suddenly perked up, flicking away from her fingers, swiveling outwards. His body tensed, and his head lifted. He rumbled. She stared at him, slightly alarmed. “InuYasha?”

“Someone’s coming.” He twisted and sat in one smooth motion, staring hard at the partially open door to her bedroom. His eyes narrowed.

Kagome frowned, unable to understand his concern. “Coming?”

“At the front door.” He frowned. His ears flicked again, and the tension in his body suddenly relaxed, his face clearing. “They have a key.”

Kagome blinked. “A key?” The clattering sound of the tumblers in the lock on her front door confirmed his words. Her eyes widened and she bolted upright, wincing as her body gave a twinge to remind her of her recent activities. “But the only one who has a key is--”

They heard the door open, and a cheery, feminine voice called out inquiringly. “Kagome?”

“--Mama.” Her voice dropped to a squeak. Oh, gods! She can’t find out this way! She glanced in horror at InuYasha sitting next to her on the bed, apparently completely unconcerned now that he thought the visitor was no threat.

If he only knew.

He flopped lazily back onto the mattress. “Keh. It’s just--”

She jumped at him, slapping her hands over his mouth, glaring fiercely. “Don’t you dare!” She practically hissed the words at him. She glanced around frantically. Her bedroom was a small square that basically only held her bed, and a small dresser and mirror over by the window. There really wasn’t anyplace to hide. She supposed she could just stick InuYasha under the bed, or…out the window! He could survive a measly two-story drop. She’d seen him jump higher than that.

He was staring over her hands with creased brows, baffled and slightly put out at her actions.

She’d waited too long to answer. “Kagome,” Mama sounded uncertain now, hesitant. “Kagome…are you…here?” A step sounded on the wooden floorboards as her mother started down the hallway.

The extremely short hallway.

No time. His clothes were scattered around her bedroom, and she couldn’t just send him out the window naked, could she? She glared another warning at InuYasha to stay quiet. His eyes glared back, objecting to her hands over his mouth.

“Mama! I’m here…I was just…” Playing with my hanyou lover’s ears. She cringed at the errant thought, glancing around the room again. “…sleeping.”

The closet! It was against the wall opposite the window, and they wouldn’t have to pass in front of the door--the open door, dammit!--to get to it. She wasted no time grabbing hold of one of his precious ears, yanking him up and towards the edge of the bed. Annoyance flashed in his eyes, and he protested, the sound muffled by the hand still pressed over his mouth. The slight huff earned him yet another death glare.

“Oh, Kagome,” Mama’s voice sounded relieved. Her voice was getting clearer as she moved down the hallway. “I thought something was wrong. Especially after last night--”

“Uhhh, Mama.” Kagome broke in, panicked. She had to stop her mother from coming into the room. “Why don’t you--” Her feet hit the floor, and she grimaced as real pain shot through her stiff muscles, gripping the edge of the bed to brace herself. InuYasha was beside her instantly, his arm slipping around her waist. His expression was absolutely priceless--some bizarre mixture of bewilderment, concern, and irritation. She would have burst into helpless laughter if her mother hadn’t been about to walk in the door.

To find her daughter standing with a strange, dog-eared man. In the middle of her bedroom. Naked. Eep!

“Kagome?” She sounded just outside the door.

“Mama, would you put on the tea, please?!” Kagome tugged desperately at his arm, taking the two steps to the closet, and sliding the door open. “I’ll be just a minute.” She gestured inside. He balked, glaring at her in disbelief. She gave him her blackest look, and shoved. Scowling, he allowed himself to be pushed into the closet, batting her clothes out of his way.

He popped his head back out of the open closet door, but had the sense to keep his voice low. “Why the hell do I have to get in here?”

She pushed his head back in. “Are you insane?! Be quiet or she’ll hear you!” She kept her voice just below a whisper, well aware that with his senses he could hear her perfectly.

“So?”

“So she’ll find out!”

“So?”

“So that would be bad!”

“Why?!” He looked offended.

“Ooooh!” She shoved at him again. “Just stay here until I can get her to leave!”

“No!”

“Yes!”

“I’ m not hiding in a closet!”

They glared at each other through the closet door, neither willing to give.

“Kagome, where did you put the tea?”

Kagome gave an exasperated sigh, relieved to hear her mother in the kitchen. “In the cupboard next to the sink!”

Her eyes narrowed impatiently at InuYasha. “Why don’t you just…oh--” Frustration curled her hands into fists as her eyes fell on his ears. “--osuwari!”

She didn’t know why she did it; she didn’t know why she used the command specifically reserved for dogs instead of what she would normally say to a guest. It had been completely impulse, almost an instinct. The word had simply popped into her head and directly out of her mouth--and the moment she said it, she regretted it.

Her hand clapped over her mouth as she stared, eyes completely apologetic. How insensitive could she be? It was probably one of the most insulting things she could say to him, and…

…And his reaction wasn’t exactly expected. He flinched, jerking away from her and into the back of her closet, slamming into the wall, shock washing over his features. She blinked at him in surprise. “Ehh…”

“Kagome? What was that sound? Are you ok?”

“Fine, Mama. But…” Her gaze turned beseeching. “Please, InuYasha--just for a little while, just until she’s gone.”

He scowled again. Then he dropped to the floor, folding into a sitting position at the back of her closet. She spared him a brief smile before she grabbed an old robe off a hanger and dashed away from the closet.

She caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror as she wrapped herself in the cloth, and froze, groaning quietly. I can’t see Mama like this--she’ll know! She bit her lip, glancing back at the closet door, quickly debating the pros and cons. “Mama? You don’t mind if I take a quick shower, do you? I…didn’t get one after work last night.”

“Of course not, dear. Take your time.” Mama’s genial tone rang clearly from the kitchen. “I’ll have the tea ready when you get out.”

Kagome sighed and rushed for the bathroom. Take her time? She took one last glance at her bedroom, before she shut the door behind her. Not likely. She just prayed that InuYasha stayed put, and that Mama didn’t get the urge to straighten her room. The last thing she needed was a naked hanyou greeting her mother in any part of her apartment.

Now there was a terrifying image.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He sat against the corner of the closet, his arm propped on a drawn-up knee, scowling blackly. His ears swiveled slightly, listening to the sounds in the apartment. Kagome scurried frantically about the bathroom, while her mother puttered about at a much more sedate pace in the kitchen, preparing the tea.

His jaw clenched, and his teeth ground impatiently. Humph. Who the hell does she think she is, sticking me in here? This is stupid. There’s no reason for me to stay in here.

But if he left the closet…a fleeting vision of her in a full-blown temper tantrum caused a brief, involuntary wince. Shit. Why should I care if she gets mad?

His ears sank, and he slumped sulkily against the corner. Kagome was scary when she was angry. His hand moved to his neck, rubbing over the naked skin, assuring himself that it remained naked. Osuwari his ass. What in the world had prompted her to….

He scowled again. He wasn’t her pet, dammit! Feh. Stupid woman.

Her shower had to be the shortest on record. If he had to guess, he’d say the spray of running water only lasted about three minutes total. He heard the shower go off and after thirty seconds of renewed frantic movements, the bathroom door opened, and her bare feet padded lightly down the hall.

He listened with half-hearted interest as she greeted her mother breathlessly in the kitchen. “Mama! It’s so good to see you. Umm…what are you doing here so early in the morning?”

“Oh, Kagome. I’m so glad you’re ok. How are you doing? After we didn’t hear from you last night, I just had to come by to see if you were all right. So many people dead, and so close to you! We were all worried to death about you.” Kagome’s mother had a pleasant voice, with a warm, even tone that suggested a rare ease and tranquility with life.

Ahhhhh…the rogue that attacked last night,” Kagome’s voice held trace amounts of relief. “I’m so sorry I didn’t call, but I had to pull an extra shift at the clinic. The hospital sent some of the overflow victims to us. It was horrible. Some of the injuries were…very severe.” She paused for a moment. “We were busy most of the night. Forgive me, Mama. I meant to call, but I didn’t even get off until after three this morning.”

“Oh, Kagome. You must have been exhausted.”

“Terribly,” Kagome agreed, her voice laced with just a bit too much sincerity. “I just came home, and…um…fell…into bed.”

He snorted quietly.

“Oh, you poor dear. It sounds like you had a rough night. Here, have some more tea.” The sound of water filling a cup. “You’ve always worked so hard, Kagome. I don’t know how many mornings during high school that I found you sleeping at your desk. And Kami only knows where you slept during most of university.”

A quick, involuntary grin tugged at his lips. Long-time habit, huh?

“I used to worry that you work too hard, Kagome. I still do.” A considering pause. “Well, at least you got an excellent night’s sleep. You look very lively this morning. You’re practically glowing.”

Kagome choked and coughed.

“Sip, don’t gulp, dear. You’ll burn yourself that way.”

Heh. InuYasha smirked. This is more interesting than I thought it’d be.

“Are you sure you’re ok, Kagome? All that terror and destruction last night happened so close to you. Your Jii-chan couldn’t pull himself away from the television last night. They’re saying this morning that the damage and loss of life is at least equal to last year’s earthquake in Kyoto.” Her mother gave a little sigh. “These rogue attacks are getting so serious lately. It never used to be like this when you were younger. These days everyone has to be so careful when they go out. What about that orphanage you’re so fond of, Kagome? Is everyone alright over there? How is little Shippo?”

His eyebrows quirked. Kagome’s mother knew the brat?

Kagome sighed. “He’s fine, Mama. Everyone escaped any physical damage, and the rogue never got out of Roppongi, so the orphanage was never in any danger. But the wounded they sent to us…oh Mama, it really was terrible. I’ve never seen so much blood and destruction in one place. It was all we could do to help the wounded at the clinic.” InuYasha frowned at the weariness in her tone. His head leaned back against the wall, his ears twisting.

“Oh, Kagome.” Clothes rustled slightly. “We’re so proud of you for doing what you’re doing. Just be careful dear, and remember that your Jii-chan and I both worry about you. It’s a relief to know you’re alright. And make sure to relax--it’s an excellent thing to help people, but I don’t want you making yourself sick.”

“Thank you , Mama. Don’t worry too much about me. I have the rest of the day off because I worked so much yesterday. I’ll get plenty of rest, I promise.”

Several moments of idle female chatter followed, and InuYasha quickly lost interest. He began to wonder how long she expected him to stay in her closet.

“Oh, and Kagome, what about that charming youkai friend of yours--Kouga, was it? He’s a hunter, isn’t he? Did he get hurt in the fighting? They said that subduing the rogue took most of the Alliance hunters.”

His ears perked, and his top lip curled in reaction to the name. Kagome’s mother knew Kouga? How the hell…? A loud growl slipped out, and he barely suppressed the urge to storm from the closet.

In the kitchen, he heard Kagome gasp.

“Kagome? What was that sound?”

Oops.

“Umm…” She let out a nervous laugh. “It’s probably just some silly dog somewhere. I think a few of the neighbors have pets.”

Silly dog!?

“Oh. Of course. These places have such thin walls. It’s a wonder you don’t hear more of what goes on. It’s an eavesdroppers paradise.”

Shocked silence descended over the kitchen. Another smirk tugged at his mouth as he imagined her stillness, her horrified expression as she realized the implications of her mother’s words. He could practically smell her mind working, going over the night before; he knew exactly what she was remembering, because he was remembering it too.

“You…” Her voice squeaked. “You think so, Mama?”

“Oh yes. It’s a good thing you’re not terribly loud, or your neighbors would be listening to every conversation you’ve ever had--whether they wanted to or not.”

She groaned, loud enough for her mother to hear.

“Kagome? Are you sure you’re all right, dear?”

He bit his tongue to hold in his snicker.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She managed to get her mother out of the apartment fairly quickly, which was a surprise, because usually her mother stayed for longer chats when she dropped by for a visit. But she stood as soon as her tea was gone, declaring that she had several errands to run that morning, despite the wide-spread destruction, and that she had just come to make sure her only daughter had survived the disastrous night intact.

Kagome closed the door after her mother and leaned back against it, relieved and a little guilty. It wasn’t that she didn’t want to talk with her mother--she did, just not in front of InuYasha. And getting caught would have been bad. The last thing she’d needed this morning was questions and fuss from her mother--not to mention what InuYasha would be put through.

He deserved to suffer through her mother’s scrutiny for that growl, though. She frowned, heading for her room. “InuYasha!”

He met her in the doorway, scowling himself, still completely and unabashedly naked. “Why did I have to spend that last twenty minutes in a fucking closet?” His eyes flashed, then narrowed. “And just how the hell does your mother know that bastard?!”

Unimpressed, she narrowed her eyes right back and poked a finger at his bare chest. “You--”

The keyhole in the front door jiggled again. Immediately panicked, Kagome flattened both palms and shoved hard. She caught him by surprise, and he lost his balance, hitting the floor inside her bedroom with a thud just as her mother poked her head through the door again.

“Oh, Kagome. I almost forgot. I threw out your clothes--I hope that’s ok. I would have tried to mend them for you, but they were shredded beyond any reasonable repair. You really shouldn’t leave them lying in the entryway like that, dear. Anyone could find them there.” Kagome’s eyes widened, and her mouth dropped open. Her mother’s lips twitched. “It’s such a shame, too. All that pretty lace is completely ruined.”

Kagome stared at her mother in horror, her face instantly cherry tomato red. No. My clothes from last night! “Uhhhh…”

“Tell your friend hello for me. I’ve put his sword in the living room, just in case he was wondering. The entryway is most definitely not the place for such a dangerous weapon. Oh, and your purse does not belong in the hallway outside your front door, nor should your keys be left dangling in the lock--I don’t care how distracted you are.

“Now I really do have to go, but I hope you enjoy your day off, dear. Remember, though, you promised to relax. Bring your friend for dinner sometime soon, Kagome. We’d all love to meet him.” With a gentle, twinkling smile, her mother left, closing the door behind her.

Kagome stood in frozen dismay for an instant. Then she turned, squeezing her eyes shut, and banging her forehead lightly against the doorjamb. No. That did not just happen. My mother did not just find out about…this…from the ruined clothes in my hallway. She groaned, then whirled a glare on the hanyou who watched her warily from the edge of her bed.

“This is all your fault!”

What’s all my fault?!”

She advanced on him, meeting his scowl with one of her own. “You’re the one who destroyed my clothes last night. If you had just taken them off like a normal person, my mother wouldn’t have found them this morning! Gods--how am I supposed to face her after this?”

“How the hell should I know?” His scowl was defensive. “What’s the big deal? She’d have found out eventually, anyway.”

“Not like this!” Her fist hit her thigh. “Ooooh! What am I supposed to say to her?”

“So how do they know each other?”

She paused, blinking at him. “What?”

“Kouga and your mother?”

She stared at him in disbelief. “Kouga? Don’t tell me you’re still worried about Kouga?!” When he just glared at her, she looked around for something to throw. The only things anywhere nearby were his jeans, so she plucked them up and hurled them at him as hard as she could.

He caught them with an indignant “hey!”

Kagome was already looking around for something else to throw. “Unbelievable! I’ve spent more time with you in the past five days than I’ve spent with him in the past three months, and you have the nerve to be jealous!” She started to storm past him, intending to go for her alarm clock. “You’re sitting on my bed, completely--”

She gave a startled gasp as his hand reached out and grabbed her wrist, yanking her off balance so that she landed flat-backed on the bed. She stared, wide-eyed, as he twisted to hover over her, his hands planting firmly into the thick mattress on either side of her head. “First off, I’m not jealous of that flea-bitten moron.”

“Yeah, right.” Too bad her voice didn’t sound nearly as sarcastic as she wanted it to.

He ignored her, an interesting, almost mischievous gleam in his eyes and an insufferable arrogance in his tone. “And second, it’s only natural for you to spend time with me. You belong with me.”

Her heart gave a little jump, and she swallowed. “Oh, really?”

“Of course.” He said it like it was something the simplest child could understand. His eyes narrowed. “Now how does your mother know Kouga?”

Obediently, she started to open her mouth. Stopped. Closed her mouth. Considered him thoughtfully. A sly smile curved her lips. “I’m not going to tell you.”

“What?!”

Stubbornly--still smiling--she shook her head. “You’ll just have to wonder.”

His narrowed look didn’t waver, and he stared at her for a long moment. Then his shoulders noticeably relaxed, and his head dropped a little lower. “Fine. I’ll get it out of you eventually anyway.”

She raised her eyebrows in question. “And how do you plan to do that?”

“You have the day off--I heard you tell your mother. You’re spending it with me.” He smirked. “Maybe we can give your neighbors something more than their stupid dog to talk about.”

“I didn’t say stu--”

She never really got to finish her protest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~

A/N: My first lemon, everybody! (Party at my place.)

So….how’d I do? I’ve never actually written one before--I’m a little nervous about it. I’d really like feedback on this chapter. Let me know if you see anything I can improve on, so the next one can be--hopefully--better.

And once again, blackberry is awesome. Thanks for bringing up the points that I forgot to touch on, and for making me smile.

OK, now I’d like to take a few lines to address a little something that has come to my attention recently, and I want to make myself clear, because I’m concerned that I’m being misunderstood, and I’m truly not trying to upset anyone. This is not an author rant, just an address of something that has been mentioned.

First, the reason I will never answer a review in-fic: Quite frankly, it’s not because I don’t read the reviews and cherish every one of them for their insight and encouragement--it’s an issue of respect for any readers who don’t leave reviews. Very few people actually click on the story to read an extensive author chat with the few people who do take their precious time out to review, and it can get long and annoying if I were to answer in author’s notes every question asked or comment made. I’m sorry if this offends you, I honestly didn’t intend it to, I’m just trying to let people read in peace. If you really want an answer, e-mail me, and I give you my solemn word that I’ll do my best to answer your question or comment.

That’s not to say I don’t appreciate the reviews. Please don’t think that. I know the name of every reviewer, and I thank you all for taking the time out to comment in the hopes that I’ll improve with the next chapter. So, really, thank you all.

This is probably the longest A/N I will ever do, and promise that now that I’ve said my piece, I’ll go back to being quiet again. I hope this clears up any and all confusion. Thanks for listening (…or…um…reading?).

And, as always, I am working on the next chapter. Unfortunately, thanks to a royal b***h of a recent RL, I’m rather depressed and having a hard time with it. But I promise I’m not giving up. We’ll see how long the next one takes, hmm? ^_^

Cheers and blessings to all,

~ Quill