InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Wake Me Up Inside ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Wake Me Up Inside

Chapter 6

-----------------------------------------------------------

Kagome sighed heavily as she sat in her math class watching the teacher drone on about calculating annuities. No matter how many fancy ways it was presented, one thing about math remained the same. Kagome hated it. Much the same way she'd done back in junior high and high school, Kagome's mind tuned out the teacher in favor of thoughts having to do with something far more interesting. Or, rather, someone far more interesting. That someone could only be one hot tempered, foul-mouthed young man Kagome knew as Inuyasha.

Ever since she had found him laying in that bed in the hospice, Inuyasha had been in almost every thought that crossed Kagome's mind; both waking and in the dreams of sleep. Memories were constantly assaulting as everywhere she turned, there was something to remind her of him and all they'd done together. Randomly, her mind began to play back memories of the first time she had ever seen Inuyasha in his human form. The stillness of those quiet moments spent with him hiding in the back room of the manor filled her with both heartache and lethargic warmth as her mind recalled each and every sensation. With her mind and body so heavily taxed by all that had gone on as of late, it wasn't long before the course of Kagome's thoughts carried her away into the land of sleep.

---------------------------------------------------------

Young hearts soared as the blessed hour of three o'clock in the afternoon arrived with the sounding of the school bell. While everyone else dreamed of running outside to eat junk food and play games with friends, one young heart had a different mission today.

Sherry Montgomery brushed a lock of her ash brown hair from her shoulder before loading her book bag onto her back and jogging out the door to the bike racks. There, she found the pink and purple girl's bike that was hers and threw the combination lock on the chain. After removing it, she refastened the chain around her handlebars. Then, with a quick heave, she picked her bike up and hopped on. With that, she was off and racing down the sidewalks.

A brief ten minute ride placed Sherry in front of her destination: Helping Hands Hospice. As she stared up at the sign, she felt a wave of emotions build as she recalled the mother she'd lost here two months ago. Since that day her mother passed away, she hadn't been able to return here for the sour memories it held. She reprimanded herself for that as she had let her grief cause her to neglect one she had promised she wouldn't.

Growling at herself, Sherry shook her head. Today was not a day to think about her mother. This time, she'd come here for someone else entirely. Lifting her chin with steadfast determination, she parked her bike and chained it to one of the hand rails on the handicap ramp. Then, taking a deep breath, she opened the door and stepped inside.

The instant the fifth grader stepped inside, she found herself almost overwhelmingly assaulted by the painful memories brought back by the sights and smells that met her senses. Gritting her teeth, she irritably forced those thoughts from her mind and began walking towards the reason she had come. Step for step, she pushed herself onward through the hallways. The young girl received a few questioning glances. A few even tried to speak to her, but she ignored them.

Eventually, Sherry arrived at the room she sought. She paid one glance about her then stepped into the room. Drawing to a stop inside the room, the young girl took in her surroundings. To her relief, she was alone with the room's silent occupant. Usually, she didn't mind chatting with the nurses here, but today was her first time back since her mom died. The only person she had the courage to face was the one she'd come to see.

Frowning guiltily, she stepped over to the bedside and dropped her backpack in the armchair. Then she hoisted herself up to sit on the side of the bed. Bowing her head slightly, her bright green eyes panned to regard the young oriental man who lay there in perpetual slumber with his long beautiful shiny black hair fanning about him. After swallowing hard, she reached inside herself for the strength to speak.

"Konnichiwa. It's me, Sherry. I bet yer surprised to see me back here," she said softly, almost whispering in her voice that sounded like the wind. "If you're mad, I understand. You have every right to be. I broke my promise. I'm sorry," she told him as she turned to stare at her feet. After a minute of pregnant silence, she looked back up at him.

"My Mommie, she finally went to be with Daddy a couple of months ago. That's why I was gone. I.. I couldn't come here before 'cause it.. it hurt too much," Sherry sniffed and grunted as she wiped fresh tears away from her emerald orbs. She frowned at herself in irritation then forced a smile back onto her face as she returned her attention to the young man everyone here called Romeo. "But, I didn't come here to remember Mommie. I came here to see you. I'm sorry for not coming by sooner. I hope you can forgive me. I still go to school near here so I'll try to come by everyday like I use to."

Sherry reached out and grasped his right hand with hers. She studied how large it was in contrast to her own. She had always seen strength in those hands of his. She always thought he looked like one of the ancient samurai her social studies teachers talked about with the size of his hands and the way he wore his hair long and loose. Every time she watched movies about old world China and Japan, she could always picture Yue somewhere there just off screen taking part in the battles.

She knew it was a silly thought, but then again ever since that necklace had appeared around his neck, Sherry couldn't quite shake the feeling there was something special about this man. Those beads, and even now Yue himself had an energy about him that made her senses tingle. It wasn't a bad energy. It didn't scare her in the least. More like, she felt better when engulfed by that aura.

As she concentrated on the feel of his spirit licking against hers, she frowned. Then she realized it was his spirit that was slightly different than before. She had known the feeling of it had grown slowly over the years she had been visiting him along with her mother. Yet, as she sat here now, that energy was louder to her now than ever before.

"Yer getting stronger. Why is that? What's happening? Something's happening. Slowly. Does this mean you'll be waking up soon?" the girl asked as hope and excitement grew within her. "I hope so. Then you can teach me Japanese. That book and CD Santa got me for Christmas is cool, but I know I'm messing up on some of it," she frowned.

"I bet you know all kinds of stories to tell," Sherry grinned as she slowly swung her feet to and fro. She then made a small gasp of recollection. "Oh, speaking of that, I brought a new book to read. It's another Harry Potter book," the girl said as she hopped down to fetch the book from her back pack.

Sherry kicked off her shoes and climbed back up onto the bed. She then shifted to sit along side the enigmatic young man with her back against the headboard and pillows. She played a quick glance over him with her bright shiny emerald orbs then opened the book in her lap. Upon reaching the first page of the story, Sherry softly smiled as she began to read aloud, hoping that her slumbering friend was somehow listening. Unbeknownst to her, from his place locked away in that dungeon cell that held his soul, he was.

-------------------------------------------------------

Kagome groaned as she awoke to someone shaking her shoulder and calling her name. Picking up her head and opening her rich umber eyes, she found it was her math teacher. A blush blazed its way across her cheeks as a deep sense of déjà vu filled her being. 'Nice going, Kagome,' she mentally berated herself as she sat up. With a wince, she carefully pried away the pencil that had become embedded and stuck to her cheek.

"You're the last person I expected to fall asleep in class. You don't look so well. Why don't you go on home and get some rest?" the teacher said to her as she tilted her head.

"S-sorry. Life has just been a little rough lately. I won't do it again," Kagome responded with a frown as she rubbed at the pencil impression on her face.

"Very well. Do you have your assignment that was due today?" the teacher asked as she shifted her weight from one foot to the other.

"Oh, yes ma'am," Kagome nodded as she flipped open her folder and pulled out her work. Looking back up at the teacher, she handed the pages over.

"Thank you. You may go now," the woman said as she walked away. Kagome started to ask why, then her eyes caught the clock and she realized it was already time to go. The blush returned as she stood up and gathered her things to leave. Heaving a large sigh, Kagome rubbed her eyes and yawned as she then turned and strode out the door.

Having thirty minutes before her next class, Kagome followed her usual ritual. Walking out of the building she was in, she headed to the grill in the building next door. 'Maybe some food might help,' she thought to herself as she now remembered she had completely forgotten about breakfast this morning in her haste to get back to Inuyasha's side. 'You know Kagome, you're not going to be any good to him if you don't take care of yourself too,' she mentally scolded.

Kagome got in line at the sub outlet and stared at the menu trying to decide what to order. Eventually, she just ordered a ham and cheese sub, too worn to think much more on it. She grabbed a bottle of water from the drink fridge then paid for her items before picking up her tray and heading over to a booth to sit down. She set her tray on a table in the back by the window then tossed her back pack into the seat before dropping heavily onto the seat and unwrapping her sub.

So occupied in eating her food, Kagome didn't notice a pair of cerulean blues watching her from across the room. In fact, she rarely ever did notice their owner despite the fact he'd been watching her from afar for over a month. The young junior year janitor sighed as he paused in his mopping to watch the alluring young beauty with a well toned body, droolable Asian features, and sexy flaming hair cascading like an upside-down bonfire. The couple of times he'd managed to talk to her, she'd given a pleasant hello, then politely fled.

Blinking, the young man noticed that today, something seemed different. Confusion filled him as she reached up to scratch at his short black hair that was neatly buzzed at the sides and back. Seeing this as the perfect opportunity for a conversation, he maneuvered his way over towards her, pretending to mop. Then, without warning, he suavely dropped into the seat across the table from her and folded his hands together as he tilted his head to one side. Wasting not a precious second, he opened his mouth to speak first, "You look as though you've lost your best friend."

Kagome started with a gasp as her umber eyes darted up to meet cool blue. Recognizing the man as the janitor that had said hello to her on occasion, Kagome let back out her held breath. "No, actually, I recently found him. I'm just worried about him right now is all," she responded with a shrug. "Why?"

"Well, I just noticed you looked a little under the weather today. I thought maybe getting you to talk about it might help," he said with a soft smile.

'Great! What is it with everyone wanting me to tell stories lately?' Kagome thought irritably while forcing her face to show nothing.

"By the way, the name's Mark. Mark Aston," he continued, happy to finally get in a proper introduction.

"Kagome Higurashi," Kagome replied. "And I'll be fine. It's just been a bit of a shock seeing this friend of mine so suddenly after all this time. No need to worry about me," she said, trying to down play her situation and get this guy to leave her alone. Grumpily, she chomped into her sub.

"Ah-ha. Finally a name to the face. And a lovely one at that. Suits you quite well, I think," Mark grinned. A moment later a more serious look appeared on his face. "This friend, he seems to mean a great deal to you. An old flame perhaps?"

"Yes," Kagome answered, hoping that would be enough to get the guy to leave since he was obviously trying to hit on her.

Mark was no fool. He caught the hidden signs in her actions. Yet something told him to keep pressing. Even if he couldn't land a date with her, just getting to be friends with this beauty seemed to be an accomplishment with the way she was playing.

"He must be something special to hold your heart the way he appears to," Mark said in a warm consoling tone. Kagome blinked. That was not a comment she had expected from this guy.

"He is," Kagome agreed, nodding her head before taking another bite of her sandwich.

"Is he in the Army or something?" Mark asked, figuring the guy must be military with this story of separation and worry on Kagome's part.

"No, he's just sick," Kagome shrugged her shoulders, again trying to heavily down play the situation.

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope he gets better soon," Mark replied with what Kagome could tell was genuine sincerity. Kagome blinked again, surprised with the man's expression of compassion. Relaxing in her seat, she gave him a soft but true smile.

"Thank you. I'm sure he will. He's strong. It's hard for anything to keep him down long. Especially when I'm around," Kagome told him with a much lighter and kinder voice. Mark picked up on the change in her reactions to him and smiled back.

"With a pretty girl like you by his side, I'm sure," the janitor said, amusement filling his eyes at his twist of her words into an off color pun. Kagome's mouth dropped open in a gasp as a lovely shade of rose splashed across her face. Mark chuckled cheerfully at her reaction. "This guy of yours is a damn lucky one. I wish the best to the both of you. Drop in again sometime and let me know how he's doing. Tell him I'll buy him a beer if he'll pass me along his secret," he winked as he rose from the seat. Kagome stared for a moment before responding.

"Uhh, sure. Thank you, Mark," she said, the bizarre feeling in her gut bleeding into her voice. Mark grinned and waved to her, then headed off to disappear back behind the employee door with his mop and bucket. Kagome blinked then giggled when she realized he had forgotten to mop half of the floor.

'Strange guy,' she mused as she finished her sandwich and washed it down with her water. Her eyes widened as a thought dawned on her. That guy looked and acted so much like Miroku it was uncanny. Turning, she stared back at the employee door, mouth agape as thoughts turned over in her head. Could that janitor really be the reincarnation of Miroku? If so, then was it possible for her to find others she had traveled with? The sudden onslaught of hope and excitement made her feel giddy. Maybe, just maybe things would turn out all right after all.

Glancing down at her watch, Kagome noticed with horror that she now had five minutes to get to class. With a squeak, she tore up out of her seat and gathered her stuff. Dashing across the room, she tossed her trash into the bin then bolted out the door and upstairs to the street. Once there, she rocketed down the sidewalk towards the building she needed to get to as if she were running from a nasty youkai at her heels. She thanked Kami she had continued working to keep herself fit after the quest in the feudal era was over. In times like this, the ability to run like hell without overtaxing herself came in quite handy.

Luck was with the miko as she arrived in the room of her art class just as the second hand of the clock hit the twelve, signaling it was two o'clock and time for class to begin. Swiftly, she found her seat and dropped into it before opening her bag. As the teacher greeted everyone, Kagome congratulated herself on saving her own ass this time as she pulled her supplies out and set up her workspace.

"All right, students. Today we're going to get creative. Up on the table, you will see some objects. Your assignment will be to pick one or more of those objects. Draw it/them. Then take the piece home with you and add a fore or background that tells a story somehow related to the item or items," the middle aged man known as Mr. Tanning instructed with passion in his voice. Kagome looked up to the table Mr. Tanning referred to and saw five objects: a vase of field daisies, a clock, a pencil and notepad, a black teddy bear, and a peacock feather.

Biting her lip, Kagome stared at the objects pondering how she might could use each one. She quickly found her earlier problem returning to her as Inuyasha found a way to appear in thoughts on each of the objects she looked at. Inuyasha sitting in a field of grass and wild flowers with his silver hair billowing around him. Inuyasha apologizing then handing back the alarm clock he'd attacked and stolen from her room. Inuyasha bugging the hell out of her when she was suppose to be studying. Inuyasha laughing and calling one of her childhood stuffed toys stupid only to later give her one for one of her birthdays. Then, she saw feathers flying as Inuyasha attacked the crow demon that had once stolen the Shikon no tama.

Kagome frowned and shook her head, trying to get the visions of the young man out of her head. Yet, instead of them leaving, they converged. An image of Inuyasha as he was now, laying in the bed back at the hospice appeared in her mind, and, suddenly, Kagome found her inspiration. To her amazement, she found herself able to use all the items on the table. However, she knew it would take some ingenuity. Then again, that's what this exercise was about, wasn't it? Grinning, she picked up her pencil and set to drawing the blocks and shapes on her paper where each aspect of her vision would go.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Penguine: Yeah, I know there's no such happening in the series on the part of Inuyasha teasing Kag about any stuffies then getting her one, but with all the times that Rumiko didn't cover, I can see that as something that could easily have happened. -shrug-

This chapter turned out a little shorter than I had hoped. But, try as I may, I just couldn't squeeze anymore into it. My muse wouldn't let me. Thus, I'm forced to continue the story in a new chapter.