InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Wake Me Up Inside ❯ Chapter 11

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Wake Me Up Inside

Chapter 11

--------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------

Beth had accompanied Kagome and Sherry on the journey to the young girl's house. There, the nurse lent support in the attempt to convince Sherry's uncle to let her go to a slumber party at Beth's house. The man shrugged his shoulders and nodded his head before telling Sherry to hurry up and pack.

An hour later, the three arrived at Beth's farm house in the spacious middle Tennessee countryside. Beth had led the way in her large silver F-150 pick-up truck while Kagome and Sherry followed in Kagome's little blue Corolla. They both had looks of awe upon their faces as they stepped out of the car and looked around at the place Beth called home.

There was a large aging three-story farm house with wood siding of fading white. The shutters were a crackled hunter green color. There was a wrap-around covered front porch with most of the furniture being handmade out of branches. A bench swing hung from the ceiling on the right end. The house itself had four first story windows, five on the second story with the middle being made of stained glass, and two poking out of the roof hinting at a third floor attic.

Surrounding the house were three white fenced pastures. A cute red stable barn sat to the left of the house. It's shutters, roof, and copula were a charcoal gray. Tree clusters dotted the property providing spots of shade. A few boulders lay here and there to add flavor.

"I've been working the past few years on sprucing the place up a bit. I got around to painting the fences and barn over the summer. And a friend of my cousin made the stained glass window for me. I plan on getting the house repainted next year when the weather gets warm enough," Beth commented as she watched them drink in the sight of the place.

"It's gorgeous, Beth!" Kagome exclaimed with a wide smile.

"I agree! So big. So old. So pretty!" Sherry cried out gleefully.

At that moment, the sounds of barking were heard. Seconds later, two large dogs, one gold and one black, came scampering out to greet their owner. Seeing the visitors, they sped right past Beth and over to the guests to check them out. Sherry instantly shied behind Kagome.

"Shadow, Midas, calm down. Don't be so pushy," Beth scolded, shoving them back. "They won't hurt you, Sherry. I promise. They're nice doggies."

"They're big," Sherry commented, staying put. "W-we never had any doggies in the house. Only kitties."

"Ohhhh, I get it," Beth nodded.

"Hey, don't forget that I'm here. I've handled the sons of the demon `Leader of Dogs', so these two are easy," Kagome said to Sherry with a wink. Beth grinned, picking up on the tactic.

"Uhhhh…" Sherry looked at her feet. Kagome reached her hands out to let the dogs check out her scent. Both sniffed and snuffled at the offered hands. A moment later, they yipped and bumped the hands with their noses and heads, begging for petting as wagging tails became a blur. Kagome giggled.

"These two are friendly. You've got nothing to worry about. If they didn't like you, they would have let you know it by now. Which they haven't, so they think you're cool," the miko said. Sherry thought over Kagome's words then shyly offered out a hand. The two dogs sniffed at it then began squabbling with each other over who got attention from the little girl. Sherry made a face and put out both hands. This seemed to make the dogs happy. She finally smiled if only a little bit.

"See? Nothing to worry about," Beth smiled.

"I guess so. It'll just take me some getting use to I suppose," the girl said softly.

"Okay. We can cal truce on that one," the nurse grinned. "Grab your bags and come on in. The sooner we get you two settled, the sooner you can see the horses."

"Oh yeah! I almost forgot about you saying you got horsies!" Sherry blurted, reverting to her former cheer as she grabbed her bags. Kagome laughed and grabbed hers as well before locking up the car. The dogs took to chasing each other wildly around the yard while Beth lead the way into the house.

Inside the house, one could immediately feel the age lingering. It had that old house smell and was full of antiques that gave the place an abundance of charm and flavor. Beth first lead her guests up the staircase to the second floor. Sherry chose a room decorated in pink and purple floral motifs. Kagome chose a room of blue and gold with a celestial theme. After dropping their bags in their rooms, Beth gave them a tour of the house starting with the second floor.

There were five bedrooms and two bathrooms on the second floor of the house. Beth's room was mauve and crème colored with horses and dogs ruling the theme. Of the two remaining bedrooms, one was blue and crème with a sea theme, the other was full of greens and dark woods giving an earthy look. In Beth's room, the girls were shown a small walk-in closet with a secret door in the back panel leading to a secret room in the middle of the house. The room was wallpapered in newspaper and it held documents, pictures, and other objects that were from the days when the house was built or from the house itself.

After leaving the secret room, Beth lead them to the attic door. The attic, they found, was similar to old attics shown in movies. Though Beth had made and effort to keep the dust minimal. Trunks and boxes sat everywhere. One corner held an old stand alone mirror that had no place currently. The windows gave picturesque views of the property. Upon heading back down to the second floor, the guests found a pair of large photographs on the wall that were taken out of those attic windows.

"Wow, you're really talented, Beth," Kagome commented.

"Thanks. Remind me later to pull out the stash of shots I've done with Romeo as my model," Beth giggled back.

"So noted. You've peaked my interest," Kagome grinned.

On the first floor, they were shown the formal living room, the dining room, the kitchen, the den, and the library. The living room was mostly decorated with antiques. Old paintings decorated the walls. The dining room had an expandable table made of cherry. The china cabinet, also made of cherry, displayed a china set that was an obvious inheritance worth a pretty penny. Pictures on the walls were photos of orchards, foods, and charming gardens. The kitchen was a mix of old and new. The cabinets were new yet made to look old. The appliances were all black to match the old cooking hearth that still existed in functioning order. The den was a cozy sitting place filled with plushy sofas and recliners circling a large coffee table made out of half an old wine barrel and a circular piece of beveled glass. In one corner sat a large TV with a DVD player, VCR, and an already out-dated yet still much loved Super Nintendo console. Another corner held the stereo system along with drawers of CDs, cassettes, DVDs, VHS tapes, and SNES cartridges. Finally, there was the library which had built in bookshelves and a secretary desk sitting beneath a large window looking out at a horse pasture.

Moving on, Beth escorted them down another set of stairs to the cellar. The basement was divided into five sections. There was a fully stocked wine cellar. Beth seemed to keep a little bit of everything. A few bottles were even antiques like many other things in the house. Another section was made into a storage area for things needing to always be in a cool place. One wall of the storage area held a built in shelving unit storing food stuffs like jellies, onions, potatoes, and other pantry items. One area was made into a sitting nook that looked like it belonged on a boat. There was a small bookshelf on one wall. Another wall held old maps and a ship's wheel. Then a third wall held a built in unit of drawers and cupboards with a comfy set of two bunk beds built in the center. It was a perfect place to spend a stormy night. Then, finally, there was a completely closed off room that turned out to be a full fledged dark room for Beth's photography.

"How on earth did you come to own such a cool place?" Kagome asked.

"About eight years ago, my uncle had bought it from the family that had originally owned it. Apparently the sons had sold the place for cash. Lord knows why. Anyway, he saw the place up for sale and jumped at the chance to own such an old house. He did a lot of the restoration work himself. He fixed the chimneys and got the fire places to working. The one in the kitchen had been a mess. He did a lot of other stuff too. Then about three years ago, his health started to fail rapidly after a bad heart attack. He knew he was going and made me promise to take care of the place for him. Then about seven months after the first attack, a second one took him to be with his wife," Beth explained.

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that," Kagome said.

"I'm sure he's happy. He's with his wife, and you're doing a really good job of taking care of the house for him," Sherry grinned. Beth smiled.

"Yes, I agree, Sherry. I keep fixing this place up in his memory. He loved old things, that's why there's so many antiques around here," Beth said.

Leading back out of the basement, Beth took them back outside and over to the barn. Inside the charming barn, they found four horse stalls. In the back was a tack room and a storage area for the feed. The tabby cat mewed and abandoned it's perch on a hey bail to hide as Beth lead through a door next to the tack room. Kagome and Sherry found themselves coming outside to stand next to a corral. In the corral was a misty ash gray mare and her slightly darker colt. The moment he saw them, the colt was bee-lining to check them out.

"He's so cute! His name is Spectre, right?" Sherry asked happily. The colt's ears twitched in response to his name.

"Yep, it is," Beth nodded. "Hey there, monster," she chuckled as she reached out to pet the foal. Spook snorted as she lazily wandered over to greet her owner and visitors. Sherry let out a fit of giggles when the mare nuzzled her cheek in a motherly manor.

"Wow. They're really friendly," Kagome said as she reached out to pet the mare's forehead.

"Well, Spook can be picky over who she likes and doesn't like. Normally, she doesn't care too much for the repair guys that I have come over to do handy man stuff. But females, she's okay with and she loves children. I knew she'd make a good mother because she's always so good with the neighbor's kids who come here from time to time," Beth told them.

"Ahh, I see. Well, you know what, Spook? There are many gross, smelly, rude, nasty guys out there that I don't much care for either. So I totally agree with you," Kagome told the mare with a nod. Spook swished her tail and gave a soft whinny. Beth and Sherry laughed as well.

"Here, Spectre doesn't eat any people food but Spook's a sucker for green apples," Beth said as she took out a granny apple she'd grabbed from the kitchen and handed it to the child. "Hold your hand out flat then offer the apple in the center of your palm. That way you won't get accidentally bit."

"K. Here Spook. Yummy apple," Sherry grinned as she took the apple and offered it to the mare the way she was told. Spook greedily took the apple and lost herself in the joy of messily chomping on the delicious fruit. "Ewwww… Messy!" Sherry giggled while watching the horse eat the apple. Kagome and Beth both grinned, a similar humorous `eww' face appearing on Kagome.

-----------------------------------------------------

`God, I hate that song,' Inuyasha thought as he listened to "I Can See Clearly Now" by Jimmy Cliff play on the radio. `Makes me wanna put my head through a brick wall. What's worse is the fact that I can't put my head through a brick wall. Literally. Neither can I turn that damned song off!' he grumbled irritably.

The time was approaching six in the evening. Mark had groan tired of carrying a one person conversation and left fifteen minutes ago. Beth's night time replacement, Brad, had already come to put the coma patient through the routine hourly `torture session' and left. Unfortunately, he also left the radio playing. How a male nurse could like such insanely irritating music as this station played, Inuyasha hadn't the faintest clue.

`Damn Pansy,' the hanyou huffed in a now thoroughly sour and surly mood. Then, his ears picked up sounds of chatter in familiar voices coming from the hall.

"Hey, hey, hey, Yue!" came a familiar male voice. "Dude, that rhymed. Kickass!"

"Dude! You're not funny! Lameass!" came another male voice.

"Guys, let's at least try to get along for a little while. For Yue's sake? It's not fair that he can't get up and smack the both of you like he use to!" a third male voice scolded.

Three young men, all around the same age as Yue entered the room. The first one who had spoke was around 5'7 with dark chocolate hair, caramel eyes, and Japanese features. He was dressed in a black shirt with a green dragon on the front, khaki cargo pants, and green converse shoes with black laces. Though he was moderately built, the baggy clothing hid his figure well. The second one who spoke was 6'2 with a basketball player's build. His hair was done in a two inch spiky style and dyed bleach blond with streaks of cobalt blue, lime green, and black. His eyes sparkled a piercing green. As for clothing, the tall rude boy was dressed in a white Southpark t-shirt and navy blue jeans with black Nikes on his feet. The third boy stood at 5'10 with dirty blond hair and eyes of teal. He wore a gray button-up shirt with black jeans and well-worn black cheapo sneakers.

`Well I'll be damned if it ain't the Three Stooges! Keito, Davy, and Zach. You boys seriously have no idea how glad I am that yall came!' mused the mind of the young man these three men knew as Yue.

"Good bloody GOD!! Who the hell ever thought it cool to torture him with this stupid song?!" came Keito's voice once again as he crossed the room to shut the radio off.

"Good question," Dave said with a snort and a disgusted frown.

"Maybe they were trying one of those tactics where they try to piss the patient off," Zach offered peacefully.

`Okay, then again, maybe you boys do know a thing or two,' Inuyasha, AKA Yue, retracted.

"Hey, where'd this come from?" Zach asked as he stepped over to the bedside and picked up the fuzzy black teddy bear.

"Maybe that kid gave it to him," Dave shrugged.

"Sounds like something Sherry would do," Keito nodded.

"You should be nicer to her, Dave. She's lost both her parents by now," Zach chided sternly.

"Whatever, Suga," Dave returned with a cool smile of sarcasm.

"Actually, I agree. For someone who's just a little kid, she has been here a lot for Yue. Even though she doesn't know him," Keito pointed out. "Ya gotta remember that Yue doesn't have a whole lot of people coming to visiting him very much anymore. And if the kid did finally come back to see him, the that shows she damn well has a hell of a lot more worth than the rest of the high school hobos we use to call `friends'!"

"All right, you've got a point there," Dave said sourly as he thought about all the people that had once flocked to Yue's side, only to begin deserting him after a month.

"Let's also consider Yue's feelings, guys. For all we know, he might like the kid. She does worship him after all. So, with all the time that she's spent coming here, he might think of her as a little sister," Zach told them. "I certainly wouldn't mind have'n someone like her for a little sister. My brothers are brats."

"Fine. I'll shut up about the kid!" Dave said as he through up his hands in defeat. He may be an antagonizing pain-in-the-ass by nature, but he did have morals. He knew that Yue treated his closest friends like family. If the girl did truly mean something to Yue, then for Yue's sake, he was certainly more than willing to keep his mouth shut.

Inside his dark prison, Inuyasha warmly smiled, `Yes, Sherry means a lot to me. And so do the three of you. When I'm finally free, if Kagome hasn't already, I promise I will tell you three my story. Yall deserve to know the truth about who I am, now that I can remember it myself.'

----------------------------------------------------

After dinner, Kagome, Beth, and Sherry donned their pajamas before gathering in the den. Now they sat sinking into the sofa cushions telling silly stories over bowls of ice cream. Kagome finished hers and sat it aside. Glancing at the clock, she frowned.

"Hey, Beth?" the miko interjected once an opening appeared in the conversation about funny things animals do.

"Hmm?"

"Do you mind if I use your phone?"

"Not at all, go right ahead," Beth replied with a smile and a shrug.

"Okay. I'll be back," Kagome said before getting up and heading upstairs. After retrieving her phone card, Kagome returned downstairs to snatch up the phone. She dialed the numbers for the phone card then punched in the memorized number for home. As the phone rang, she stared at the pictures on the wall connecting the den to the kitchen, dining room, and library.

"Moshi, moshi," answered a youthful male voice on the other end.

"Moshi, moshi, Souta," Kagome greeted with a grin in her voice. Sherry gasped recognizing the name as the brother Kagome had talked about over dinner. But the rest of the conversation was mostly lost on the young girl and the nurse as it was spoken in the miko's native language.

"How goes college life, Sis?" Souta asked.

"It goes," Kagome answered with a nervous nibble to his lip. "How about you? How'd the last soccer game go, Champ?"

"It went great! We whooped their butts 5 to zip!" Souta cheered.

"Oh, awesome! Congratulations!" Kagome grinned.

"Thanks, Sis."

"I really don't mean to be a spoil sport, but can I talk to Mom? I have something I need to talk to her about," Kagome begged gently.

"Oh, okay. Sure, Sis. Hold on, let me go find her," the boy responded. A minute later, the phone crackled a bit as it was passed from one hand to the next.

"Kagome?"

"Hi Mama. How are things at the fort? How's Grampa?"

"Oh, things are going fine. Grandfather is doing well. He just finished covering the house in new spiritual wards. He deems it once again safe from evil spirits."

"That sounds like him," Kagome mused with amusement in her voice.

"How about yourself, Dear? How are classes going?"

"Oh, classes are going fine. That's not what I wanted to talk to you about. Umm, it's something Souta will need to hear too. But you're good at handling the passing on of this kind of news with delicacy," Kagome said with a slight wince.

"Oh? What is it?" her mother replied with a tone of carefully managed worry.

"Mama, it's about Inuyasha." Kagome took a deep breath, then spit out her point, "Mama.. I've found him."

"Oh my! That's wonderful, Dear," then Mama paused. "There's more, isn't there?"

"Yes. I'm not exactly sure how best to say this-"

"Tell me, he's not…"

"No. He's not dead," Kagome let out a small laugh. "But, he's not well either. I'm not sure how best to say this, so.. I'll tell it like I learned it." She took another deep breath, though this one was far more ragged than the last. "You remember my telling you about the field trip I was suppose to take?"

"Yes."

"We went on it Wednesday to the Helping Hands Hospice. There, we were broken up into groups and assigned to a nurse to help with duties tending to one patient. To make a long story short, I wound up getting assigned to help take care of a young Japanese man about my age. They told me he's twenty three years old and named Yue. They said when he was seventeen, he was in a car crash caused by a drunk driver. Though his body recovered just fine, he slipped into a coma. He's apparently been like that ever since. But Mama…"

"Go on, Dear."

"When I stepped into the room, it was a human form Inuyasha that I saw in that bed. Though he wore modern clothing, Yue looked exactly as he did the last new moon night I spent with Inuyasha. What's more, he wears Inuyasha's rosary. They say that appeared around his neck two years ago, yet none of them know how it got there," Kagome told her mother. There was a brief moment of silence passing over the phone as Mrs. Higurashi let the information sink in.

"My guess is that since Yue has living parents, that he's Inuyasha's reincarnation. I've found the reincarnations of Sango and Miroku too. And I'm thinking that the ultimate reason for the coma is so that there would be no chance of Yue meeting Inuyasha during his many trips to modern time. It would sort of explain why the rosary appeared after the well was sealed. But what I can't figure out is why he didn't wake after that," Kagome elaborated.

"That is certainly a puzzle. But other than being in a coma, you say that he's all right?"

"Yes. His body fully recovered from the accident. His nurse, Beth O'Connor, takes really good care of him so that he'll be able to bounce back from being bedridden for so long. Ironically, I've decided that Beth is Sango's reincarnation. Miroku is a guy named Mark Aston that works as a janitor at one of the campus restaurants, though he hasn't met Yue. He will soon though. There's one other person that hangs around Yue. She's a little ten year old girl named Sherry. Her mom use to be in a room down the hall for a few years before passing away. I've been told that Yue's never met her, but she started visiting him along with her mother several years ago. She seems to have miko abilities like I do and claims to be able to feel the auras of Inuyasha and the rosary. She's become quite attached to Yue and shows a great deal of intelligence. So I told both her and Beth my story with Inuyasha this afternoon. Sherry's helping me work through this mess of a puzzle just as much as Beth is."

"Incredible," Mama replied. "With friends like that, I'm sure it will only take a little time for you to solve this problem. Inuyasha has always been a strong one, has he not? Have a little faith in him, Dear. I'm sure, wherever his spirit is, he's fighting just as hard as you are."

"Thanks, Mama. Sherry said something similar to that earlier today. Actually, she seems to think that it's a seal that holds Inuyasha back. I have to say, the idea sounds pretty good. She also seems to think that he might be quite aware of the things that go on around him. So, maybe there might be a light at the end of the tunnel that I just can't see yet," Kagome said.

"Perhaps so, Dear. In any case, I'm glad you're finally finding some friends to chum with. I was worried about you there for a while."

"Thanks, Mama. Actually, I'm talking from Beth's house. She invited Sherry and I out for a slumber party and weekend shopping spree in Nashville. Mama, you should see this place! It's gorgeous! She lives out in the country on a little farm. The house is an old farmhouse from the 1800s that her uncle bought and partially restored. She took over renovating and caring for it after he died. The place is huge! It has two regular stories, a third floor attic like in movies, and a neat little storm cellar in the basement!" Kagome piped cheerfully as she passed her eyes over the walls of the house. Sherry and Beth seemed lost in a different conversation in the den.

"Wow. You'll have to send me pictures," Mama said with a smile clearly audible in her voice.

"Oh, I will! Actually, Beth could probably take them. She does photography as a hobby and even has a dark room in the basement!" Kagome said. "Oh yeah, and she has horses. She's got a gray mare named Spook and a little colt named Spectre. There's also two dogs: a black Labrador named Shadow, and a golden retriever named Midas. There's a gray tabby cat that lives in her barn, but it's not very human friendly yet. Maybe I can change that for her," she giggled.

"Oh, dear! It does sound like a wonderful place. I'm glad you're finally having some fun. You certainly need and deserve it," Mrs. Higurashi praised.

"Mama…"

"Come now. Admit it. You work yourself too hard, Dear," Mama argued gently.

"I suppose you're right," Kagome conceded.

"I know I am," her mother laughed.

"Anyway, now you know why I was reluctant to tell Souta. I'm sure you'll be able to explain the news to him in a more careful manner than I can. He idolizes Inuyasha so much, I just can't bare to let this news hurt him anymore than absolutely necessary," the miko said, returning to her base reason for the call.

"Don't worry about it, Kagome, dear. I'll handle it. I'm glad you were considerate enough to think to tell me first. You're right about this being a touchy subject for Souta. I'll be sure to use care when telling him," her mother replied.

"Thanks, Mama. I really appreciate it."

"Of course, Dear. You know I would do anything for you."

"Yes, Mama. I know," Kagome smiled.

"Would you like me to send out the pictures and things you collected?"

"Oh my! Would you please? I hadn't even thought about that yet. But-"

"Think nothing of it, Dear. I'll have them sent out to you as soon as I can."

"Oh, thank you, Mama! You're wonderful!"

"I love you too, Dear. Now, get back to your friends. I'm sure they'll be missing you already," Mama laughed.

"I love you too, Mama. Give Souta and Grampa hugs for me, please?"

"Will do. Take care, Dear."

"You too, Mama. Bye."

"Good bye, Kagome."

Kagome heaved a great sigh of relief as she felt a heavy burden suddenly vanish from her shoulders. Mama always did know just exactly what to say to cheer her up. Putting the phone away, the miko returned to the den smiling.

"I take it everything's going okay?" Beth asked.

"Thankfully yes," Kagome answered, switching back to the English language. "Mama said she would tell Souta what's happened for me. She's always been so good with things like that. She always knows what to say."

"That's great," Beth grinned.

"She sounds nice," Sherry commented with a soft smile.

"Yes, Mama's very nice. I told her about you and how you kept coming back to see Yue. She thinks you're a pretty cool little girl," Kagome chuckled.

"Really?" Sherry inquired with a gasp.

"Yep," the miko nodded. "Mama said that she's going to send me out some things I'd collected related to Inuyasha and our adventures. Beth, can I trouble you for some photos of your place to send back to her? She's really interested in seeing what it looks like here."

"Not a problem. I'd love to. Heck, sometime tomorrow, I can take some shots with you and Sherry in them too," Beth agreed.

"Hey, what about you?" the Japanese woman protested with a cute pout.

"I can jump in a few too," Beth laughed.

"You'd better," Kagome mock threatened, earning a spout of giggles.

-----------------------------------------------------

Inuyasha/Yue's POV

Though they can be quite irritating at times, Keito Yamada, David Prather, and Zach Downen are brothers of my heart same as Miroku. Okay, so maybe Shippo's included in that too. That's beside the point.

Keito, David, Zach, and I all met in seventh grade. We had English/Lit. and P.E. together. Though our differences gave us a slow start, we eventually grew to become a pack of four. Once we learned each other's natures, we were able to better handle each other. Sure, we had our disagreements. We'll always have our stupid little bicker fests. But by the end of our first year together, the glue in our bonds had set and there would be no tearing us apart, no matter what happened.

David Prather is our icebox. People call him Dave. Call him David, and you better be his parents. If you're not, expect to get your ass kicked. I call him Davy. To this day, I am the only one he allows to call him that. Keito learned that one the hard way. Zach's smart enough not to try it.

Dave's a hard guy to get along with. He's often cold, rude, mean, and dirty. Most of the time, he'll say whatever he wants without care, whether it be truth, or an attempt to unsettle someone. Dave likes playing games with people. The more you resist him, the harder he'll try to piss you off. If you try to fight back, you better be able to handle some heavy artillery. For as good as he is at mind games, he's even better at brawling. He had fun playing me when we first met. A month passed before I got tired of his mouth and took him on. In the end, it didn't matter that he was a year older than the rest of us. I handed him his ass anyway. He's held a deep respect for me ever since. After all, there's only a handful of people who've ever defeated him.

After clearing away issues with personality in our little rut, Dave opened up to me. I saw much of myself in him, and quickly realized there's more to him than meets the eye. Dave's father is a career military man serving in the Army. As such, Dave grew up under harsh scrutiny. I know see Dave's personality as a means for dealing with such a life. He wears the same mask I wore for so very long. He puts up a cold front in order to look strong in the face of his father. There's a part of him that will always yearn for approval. Yet, at the same time, he chooses paths that rebel against the rules his father has set. It's the part of him that wants to be something different than what everyone else wants him to be. It's often gotten him in trouble. But, when something challenges him, he never fails to stand up and meet that challenge. Maybe this is why he liked me after that day I whooped his ass.

Then, there's a side of Dave, only the other three of us know about. It's the soft core his walls protect. In times when the four of us are alone, he drops his defenses and shows us who he really is. He is human. He has weaknesses as well as strengths. In truth, he isn't such a bad guy. To those who win his hard-earned trust, he'll give everything he's got - body, heart, mind, and soul.

Over the years, Dave has taught me a lot about self-worth. He's taught me that it's okay to have a soft side. It's okay to guard it, but it's also okay to be "real" with those you trust most. The people that are your true friends are people that like you for your weaknesses as well as your strengths. Though I learnt some of that while adventuring with Kagome, Shippo, Miroku, and Sango, there's no one who's taught me this better, than Dave.

Zachary Downen, better known as Zach, is undoubtedly the brains of the group. Whenever we had trouble with our school work, it was Zach that we turned to for help. He's also the peacemaker. Like brothers, we've often encountered squabbles with each other. Usually, Zach is the one to calm us all down and give us the rational perspective.

Zach comes as the middle child in a family of three brothers. His parents are your typical middle class Americans working nine to five jobs. His mother raised him to always tell the truth and do the right thing. He tends to come across as a goody-goody, and most of the time he is. It's because of him that we usually managed to get our asses to school on time, meet homework deadlines, get the most important things done right, and keep us out of any serious trouble. Despite his hardass façade, even Dave accepts and appreciates Zach's guidance.

Every once in a while, though, Zach will go flipside and do something absolutely absurd. Sometimes we'd ride along for the fun and lend our help. Other times we'd just stand there shaking our heads wondering what the fuck happened to our wise man.

Zach has taught the rest of us that brawn definitely isn't everything. Often times, brains are just as important. His sharp mind has gotten us out of plenty of sticky situations. He's bravely faced each of us at our worst, and most of the time fixed our funks. He's also taught us that flip'n out and doing something completely different and wacky every once in a while is okay. He's always pushed us to diversify and try new things. Dave, Keito, and I certainly wouldn't be where we are today if it weren't for Zach doing everything he could to keep us on the right tracks.

Then, there's Keito. Keito Yamada is from a Japanese transplant family just like Yue is. The Yamadas moved to the United States in the early 80s during the beginnings of the technological boom. They worked for a computer company for ten years before arriving in this tiny town to work as teachers at the university. They had two kids, Keito, and his little brother Niki. However, during our 8th grade year, Keito's dad suddenly died in a car accident. Keito was devastated, but quickly became the family's pillar. A year later, his mother became involved with a local car mechanic named Gary Stewart. Keito was shocked when his mother and Gary married. In the months following, Keito learned why the relationship had built so quickly.

Gary was a ticking time bomb with a love for whiskey. He saw Keito's mother as a possession. He saw Keito and Niki as extra wheels, with Keito the family pillar being a thorn in his side. Yet Keito refused to abandon his place and made himself into Gary's punching bag. As long as Gary concentrated on Keito, Niki, and their mother were left alone. This went on for two years before, Zach, Dave, and I decided we'd had enough. Zach handled contacting authorities while Dave and I moved in one night to put Mr. Stewart in his place. As it was, we arrived on the scene just in time to stop a beating in-progress. We stepped in to fight Stewart in Keito's place, giving him time to get his mother and brother out. Of course, the lousy cops didn't show up until after Dave and I had subdued the ass and bound him with duct tape.

Despite his hardships, Keito has remained pretty much the same guy we met in junior high. He's comic of the group and is always doing something to make the rest of us laugh. Dave often complains about Keito's acts, but truthfully, even he enjoys Keito's attempts at comic-relief. Though he seems crazy, and, at times, a bit eccentric, Keito has what it takes to stand strong in the face of pure chaos. How else can he keep telling his jokes despite Dave's threats to beat his ass?

Keito has taught the rest of us to stand tall and face our fears. When trouble comes knocking, never lose sight of the ultimate goal. As long as you do your best to stand against threats and keep hope alive, someday, things will get better.

These days, life has the boys a little scattered from what they tell me. Zach, our not-so-dumb blond, is a psychology major at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville. Dave made it through two years of college beside Zach on a basketball scholarship, before deciding he couldn't stand going to school anymore. Now, he apparently works at the zoo in Knoxville. I already new that cold shelled bastard was a monkey at heart. As for Keito, he lives up in Livingston just a few blocks away from his mom and brother. He's apparently doing well running a small business with a roommate building custom computers for people.

Most guys enjoy watching sports games and drinking beer on the weekends. My three stooges cook up something a little different. Instead, they take one weekend a month to gather together and come to visit me. With the way their lives have scattered them across the state, this monthly tradition of pooling around me and raising a little hell has become the one thing that has kept them together. I feel both loved and honored. They remain the only people out of all my so called friends in high school that continue to visit and give a damn about me. To hell with those "friends" who abandoned me. People get back what they give to me. Though, they still bicker like childish fools, I eagerly look forward to each and every visit from Keito, Zach, and Dave. Somewhere in their hearts, I know they know it, too.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the times to come. Zach, Keito, and Dave are certainly far different from the friends Inuyasha had surrounded himself with. But, I'm sure Kagome will find the good in them. Sherry will be a big help too. She has a good heart and a way of winning people over. Eventually, I'm sure the two groups will be able to merge into one. Good gods, won't that ever be a crazy picture.

------------------------------------------------------------

Penguine: Gods did this chapter ever fly fast! I can't believe it's at 6500 words already! -gawk- I didn't get anywhere near the amount of play with the stooges that I wanted! -pout- Oh well. That just means all the more fun saved up for chapter 12. WEEEE!!!

Before anyone says anything, I'm gonna straight out admit that Keito, Zach, and Davy -giggles- are not reincarnations. They are brand new characters that I created. Actually, I originally created them to use as irritating punks in a different Yash story that never quite flew due to the fact that it had little backbone. When I posted test chapters for this story and got such an amazing response, I immediately conjured up plans to use the trio in this story instead. For three yahoos, these guys grabbed my heart from the beginning and wouldn't let go. They still won't. In fact, they won't even shut up! XD So expect to see plenty more from them.

Actually, being the artist that I am, I'm currently playing around with concept designs in order to try and draw Keito, Dave, and Zach. Yue might sneak in too, if my muse is kind. However, concept designing so far is being difficult. Well, except for Zach. The slightly feminine flow of his features and his shoulder length hair make him easier for me to play around with for some odd reason. I dunno. Dave.. is gonna be a bitch to draw. Then again, that's kinda part of his personality, ain't it?

Ermm.. before I end this note, I'd like to toss up the fact that I'm looking for a reader or few with MSN or YIM to beta-read and bounce ideas off of now that typos and writer's block are starting to become serious nuisances. If you wish to contact me via pagers, my MSN passport addy is penguine@mindsjourney.net and my YIM screen name is reikaku_no_miko.

FFnet Review Replies

Shrew-hanyou: Yay! -- Uhh.. okay. -lol- I'll take yer word on that. -- Yes, Shippo and Sesshomaru will be in this. However, being demons, they will be the originals.

InuyashaFan: I think I've already replied to this one via email but I'll do it again just to be sure. Thank you so much for notifying me about the booboos. I fixed them as soon as I read your email. :)

WindSprite: If you encountered an issue with chapter 1 suddenly stopping as well as chapter seeming to repeat things written in chapter 1, I've fixed that problem. I apparently uploaded the wrong version of chapter 1 when I fixed problems in it so it kinda threw things off there. Sorry about that. I've been making a hell of a lot of stupid little errors like that lately. -blush- Anywho, I'm glad you like the story. As for characters, this thing's going to be a mix of cannon, reincarnated, and original so that it kinda hits all three areas of interest. I'm also trying let things flow as logically as possible so that it doesn't get too strange and unrealistic for people. -shrug-

Xblackheartx: Okay, this chapter might have cleared some of your confusion up, but incase it didn't, here's how it is. The person in the coma is Inuyasha's reincarnated form, Yue Taisho. Therefore, he would have parents in the modern world. But, something has happened to allow Yue to start recalling his past life, and even regain some of his power, as Sherry has pointed out. That something is still a mystery to the characters yet so I won't elaborate on that. Unlike Inuyasha, Yue's parents are very much still alive. However, for reasons yet unclear to those surround Yue, they are just not present. Yue's parents now live in a different state due to a change in Mr. Taisho's job since Yue's accident. But since Yue has friends that still come to see him, his parents have let him stay. It just means they can't come as often. There's more, but I just can't explain further yet without ruining a few things planned in the future. I hope this helps.

Silentchill13: Thank you! That's exactly the kind of story I'm trying to make out of this. I'm a bit of an intellectual so if things don't fit logically, it drives me nuts. So I'm trying to write this story in the most logically possible manner. In real life, things don't happen at the flip of a switch. And everything that happens, happens for a reason. I'm doing my best to incorporate those points into the story. I'm thrilled that you're enjoying it. I will do my best to keep delivering. :) And thanks for the well wishes to my mom. They're most appreciated. :)

Sakura8907: Since I already answered you in emails, I'm gonna use this space to pester the hell outta ya. *giggles and starts poking ya repeatedly* Oooh! You know.. I wonder what would happen to Yash-kun if he was ever introduced to pixie-stix. *ponders then remembers that I'm suppose to be pestering you* Gah! Damn ADD. Oh well. *pokes you some more then randomly steals something from the top of your desk and… hands it to Jaken and Rin to play with before running like a Penguine-outta-hell before Sessy-kun gets back and discovers me*

KagsandInuluver91: Goodie. :)

Sess_2005: Yes, the others will be in this. Though, I'm still having issues trying to figure out who Kaede will become. She's the only one I haven't yet planned a place for.

Daddy's Pixie: No worries on your words. I'm not a very religious person and I probably curse just as much as you do if not more. -lol- I'm glad you're enjoying the story. I will do my best to update again next weekend. :)

Rai-en-chan: Me wish me had a new job. :( Me broke. Me also known next to nothing in the Spanish dept. -nodnods- -- On the situation with Yue/Inuyasha.. which part confuses you? Yue and Inuyasha are the same person. Kinda. Yue is Inuyasha's reincarnation. The rosary and memories that he now possesses were sealed away (by what, I haven't said yet) until the day Kagome returned from the Feudal Era for the last time. Does that help? -- WAI! WAI! Isn't Shiori cute? I can't understand why she hasn't held a fanfic cameo till now. She's had even more screen time than Inuyasha's Dad, and still she gets forgotten. -pout- oh well. lol -- Heehee.. Mark can be fun. Though, not even I can imagine what's going to happen when he meets Keito. Good gods.. -- Yes, I agree. It's fanfic novel. And… it's no where near done. It's not even near half way done. o.o' -- Yay! See, I'm not the only night owl in the world. -glares at early bird mother-

KittySand Katie: Yue says: "Sure. Just uhh.. do it in the other room." -cough- -- Me: Eh, my standard is 5 - 10 pages per chapter. Any less is too short; anymore is too long. -- Yes, Shippo will be in this along with other characters. But, since he is a demon, he'll be the original Shippo. No need for a reincarnation. Same goes for Sessy.

Pyro6: -giggles- Yes, Shiori is VERY cute. I adore her. :) And thankfully, she's found a way to play an extremely large role in this story.

Syl: Oh my gods.. -blanches and smacks self- BAKA! -coughs- Yes.. uhh.. actually, it was chapter 1 that was messed up. I uploaded the wrong version of the file. Thank you SO very much for pointing that out. The problem was promptly fixed the moment I got your review. The wrong file has been file13ed and the correct one put in it's place.

StarshineWeirdo: -chortles- Yeah, that was funny. But I kinda ran out of jokes to pull in that one after a few paragraphs. : / -- I know who yer think'n of, but nah. Besides, that girl and Sherry would have been living at the same time at one point since Sherry is ten. So it wouldn't work anyway.

Angel8818: Thanks. Mom and I both appreciate the thought. :) -- Personally, my favorite part of 9 was Yash singing 99 Bottles of Beer. But, I'm kinda weird and easily amused by such random goofiness. XD I'm glad yer enjoy'n the story. Much more fun to come. Especially with the Stooges finally present in the story. -snickers-

Vanillapop: Ermm, that chapter won't be written till AT LEAST late November. More like December, to be honest. Even though I will be speeding up the flow of time in the story here soon, I still have a hole heck of a lot of story to tell before the day that Yue/Yash-kun wakes.

Yumi's Twin-Kagome: Yes, Yash will wake. I promise, he will.

Quiet Escapist: -grins- I'm glad yer enjoy'n it. I'm having fun writing it, to be truthful. For most of this story, I have been a member of the audience too. It tells itself, for the most part. I know very little of what will be happening from one moment to the next. -- As for Yue's memories, I think this chapter answered your question on it's own. -giggles-

KawaiiReviewer: In order to keep from overwhelming myself, I'll try to keep on a weekly routine as far as updating goes. -- I'm anxious to write that `wake up' chapter too, but no matter how anxious I am, I'm having to force myself to wait. I really don't know a lot of what will happen between now and then. I have plans, but they're all rough sketches in my mind. So, until then, I've gotta be as patient as you and the rest of the readers. Even if the Stooges try to yell at me. Yes, that has already happened. :S Quite an unruly lot, they are. -nods-

Sammary: No, I hadn't abandoned it. I just got a little stuck AND run over by life's mack truck at the same time. x_x' I will do my best to keep posting once a week. Shippo will be in this story too, but for the sake of surprise, I can't tell you when. Sowwie.

Kagome: -lol- Well, I'm certainly try'n my dernedest! -- Thanks for the well wishes. :) We appreciate them. -- As I've told others, I'm trying my best to keep to a weekly posting routine. I have a lot of other stuff I'm doing besides writing this story and I want to try and prevent burnout.

Pitbull123: Will try.

Gohan/videogotan/trunksluver: Will try. -feeling a bit redundant-

Lord of the Pit: Yes, Sir!

Kats and dogdemons: Yay! Yet another person who understands my logic and feels my pain! -gives you an oreo- Yes, I most definitely agree. Dragging the plot out a bit definitely adds to the excitement of reading(and writing).

DarkMoon1: :) Will try my best to post again next weekend.

Sango91: Yes, yes, and… of course! This wouldn't be an Inuyasha fic without Yash-kun getting sat at least once! -lmao- Seriously though, yes, all those things will come in due time. :)

Ariane Juarez: Actually, no. I mean `hospice', not hospital. A hospice is a place for specialized treatment outside the hospital. Different ones tend to handle different things much like there are different kinds of hospitals. Coma patients are generally kept at the hospital up to five days. If they don't wake by then, they are either sent to a hospice that handles coma patients, or if possible, they are sent home and a hospice nurse is assigned to visit. Circumstances have obviously lead to Yue being held in a hospice rather than at home, in this case.

Sweetpup: I'm glad you're enjoying the story. I will try my best to have another update posted next weekend.

Mediaminer Review Replies

Calika: Actually, I'm not entirely sure yet how that scene is gonna go. Nor am I sure when it's going to happen.

That's it for now. See ya next week. :)