InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Wating for the well ❯ Down the well ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
"Waiting for the well"


Chapter 1
(the demon)

"Inuyasha, I need to go home now! Why can't you understand that I need to see my family?" A young girl of about 15 stood near the entrance to an old well, a giant yellow backpack slung over her shoulder.

"Well I'm telling you that I don't..." The silver haired hanyou stopped mid sentence and sniffed the air. "Somethings coming....fast." Inuyasha pulled out the tetsusaiga. "Kagome, take cover." Then a flash of something came flying through the trees.

"It's Kouga!" shouted Kagome. "He's hurt." However Kouga flipped over in midair and managed to land on his feet. Kagome heard him growl and gnash at the air with his teeth, then he took off in the direction in which he come flying moments before.

"What's that mangy wolf up to?" Inuyasha snarled. He didn't have to wait long for an answer. Kouga soon came flying into the clearing a second time, and this time not so gracefully. He smacked into the ancient wood of the bone eaters well and landed awkwardly in front ot it. Coming in right after him was a large demon. It had the body of a scorpian but the torso and head of a woman.

It laughed and in a high nasally voice cooed, "Where did you get to little woofy? Are you still so determined to protect your pack?"

Kouga stood up shakily, attempting to fight on, but stumbled at his first step. Kagome ran to his side, "Kouga," and attempted to help him stand.

"Why don't you pick on somebody your own size?" Inuyasha taunted. The demon looked surprised and turned quickly to see who had spoke. As she turned her tail swung from behind her and smacked into Kouga, knocking both him and Kagome into the well.

The demon lauched "oops, well i suppose you can just stay in there you impudent wolf!" She raised her arms and muttered a curse. An orange light engulfed the well for a moment, and then the well returned back to normal. The demon laughed again and shouted, "Now, half-demon, where were..." She was silenced bu the tetsaiga splitting her almost in two. From her stomach came a jewel shard and Inuyasha caught it. Then he ran to the well to get Kagome. He jumped in and was transported to Kagome's home...

-------------------------------------------

Kagom e opened her eyes to a brightly lit meadow. She looked around, it looked a little like the clearing of the forest where she had just been, but where was the well? Then she realized she was sitting on someone! "Kouga!" She shouted and leapt off of him. "Kouga please wake up." She whispered as she patted his face with her palm. Kouga slowly opened his eyes.

"Kagome? Wss....What's the matter?" He said groggily. Suddenly everything came flooding back to him, he jumped up, "Where is that bitch who attacked my pack?" He growled and sniffed the air.

"Kouga...I don't even know where we are! I remember being knocked into the well, but this deffinately isn't home."

Kouga looked around for a moment. "This is the clearing with that well isn't it?" Kagome nodded, "Then where's the tree? The tree of ages?"

"It should be right there." Kagome pointed, but there was nothing. "Kouga, what are we going to do?" She placed her face into her hands.

Kouga saw this and ran to her side. "Kagome," He thought frantically for something to console her with. "Maybe this isn't the clearing at all. Maybe we're someplace else entirely!" He sighed and thought to himself, No this is deffinately the clearing. He didn't want to discourage Kagome however, and cradled her in his arms until she stopped crying. As they sat there a man came walking throught the clearing. He saw the two of them and said,

"Are you two from around here?"

Kagome looked up, "um...no not exactly..."

The man looked down at her and smiled "Ahhhhh, i see." he clapped his hand on Kouga's back nearly knocking the breath out of Kouga. "Come with me, I'll find a place for you to stay." Without hesitation Kagome arose and her and Kouga followed the man into a field with grass up to there elbows. Suddenly the man turned and pointed at Kouga, "Are you a wolf?" He had a very stern look in his eye as he said it. Kouga began to respond, but Kagome elbowed him in the ribs,

"No! He's not a wolf, he's my ummm...fiance!" Kouga looked down at her. One eyebrow raised as if to say, "What are you up to?"

The man stopped, "Your fiance? ahhhh!" He smiled, "Your man." Kagome smiled back.

"That's right," she hastily agreed.

Where are you taking us?" asked Kouga. The man looked severely puzzled and after a while said "I'm Racca." and pounded his chest with his fist in a primate like gesture. Kagome giggled at Kouga's expression and said to the man,

"I am Kagome," then after waiting for Kouga to give the man his name (to no avail) added, "and this is my man Kouga." Kouga smiled down at Kagome.

"That sounds nice." kagome rolled her eyes and thought, Even at a time like this all he can think about is claiming me as his mate.

Finally the three reached a small village. Kouga jumped when he felt Kagome grab his tail and shove it under his shirt. She then whispered, "Try not to growl too much." Kouga smiled and she added, "Or show your fangs!" She watched his brow furrow in annoyance.

Racca led them to an oddly shaped tent and told them to wait outside for a moment. he went inside and they heard his voice. After a moment he came back out and help the flap open for Kagome and Kouga. They entered alone and were motioned to sit by an ancient looking woman sitting ona a large pollow. They took there places sitting indian style on a rug. Smoke from a small fire seemed to fill the tent and Kagome fought not to cough with each breath. After they were seated, the woman began to speak, "Kagma, and Kouga. I see you have come a long way to see me. Racca tells me you are to be wed, and taht you two are ashamed of Kouga's despicy." She must have seen the puzzled looks on their faces because she added, "His wolf form." She opened her hands and held out a stone, "Take this and go to see Manya, he has the power to turn your man human. Kagome and Kouga looked at eachother, then Kouga laughed unexpectedly,

"Look woman, no demon in there right mind would want to be a human!"

Instantly Kagome thought of Inuyasha and how Kikyo had once convinced him to try and become human. Then just as she had before she elbowed Kouga in the ribs. "What Kouga means to say is he doesn't want to be a human just yet. You see we..."

"Ahhh..." the woman laughed, "are you that anxious to be married? Or do you just want to share your wedding bed with a wolf just once? Extra fiesty I hear.....or so my sister tells me!" She laughed some more, "But that's a whole different story!"

Kouga laughed and said under his breath, "You got that right!"
Kagome blushed at the thought, and began to argue. "But ma'am!" she tried as she was being pushed out of the tent by the old woman, "We don't even know where we are!"

"Why, you're in the village of Gonda, of course!" she smiled wider, "Oh and by the way, my names Gonda!" She laughed, "A wedding! We haven't had a wedding here in ages!" And finally shoved them out of her tent.

Kagome stood for a moment dumbstruck at what had just happened. "Gonda's village." she whispered.

"What the hell is Gonda's village?" Kouga questioned furouciously.

"My grandfather told me a story once about Gonda's village and how the Tree of Ages came to be."

*~Flashback~*

"Kagome hundreds of years ago this tree was planted by a high priestess named Kagma. Lady Kagma sought the one who carried the Shikon No Tama, but the Shikon Jewel would not even be made for another 100 years! So Lady Kagma planted this tree here and vowed that once the tree had grown tall she would go forward in time and take the Jewel back from the hands of the half man, It of course took the tree a long time to grow, much longer then it took the old woman to grow old and die...They buried her not too far from the tree and her memory eventually faded, once the tree had finally grew tall enough no one really remembered Kagma, the only ones who remembered her vow were her great-granchildren, Kagma's story had been passed down throughout generations of her family. One day the village decided to dig a well where Kagome's body lay. They did not pay attention to the rantings of Kagma's granchildren. They dug up Kagma's remains and cast them aside. Her great-granchildren cursed them and they couldn't find any water, instead of reburying Kagma's remains they left the hole in the ground. After a short while the men realized that whenever they tried to get water it would flee from them, they could not touch it. After two days the men grew very weak and they ran to Kagma's Great-granchildren the children agreed to lift the curse only if the men build a wall around the hole they left in the ground and put Kagma's bones there for everyont to see. The men did as they were told, but when Kagma's decendents came to inspect it they found that the men had used wood from Kagma's tree! The Tree of Ages! They left the curse on the men and stole their most prized possessions. A sacred bow and arrow from one and the shikon no Tama from the other, they threw the items in the well with Kagma's remains and set a curse on them so that only they and their ancestors could use them properly...
*~End of Flashback~*

"Kagma, isn't that what that old woman called you?" Said Kouga, "You don't think she things your her do you?"

Kagome sighed, "No Kouga, I think that it's me! I'm Kagma! The one who has to plant the tree of ages!"

"Kouga! The well must have transported us back in time somehow!" She shook her head. "How are we ever going to get back without the well? I mean even if I planted the tree now I'll be dead long before it ever grows large enough to build the well! Just like in the story, Kagma died waiting!"

Kouga growled, "But your not Kagma your Kagome! It should only take that tree, what like a hundred years or so to grow!"

Kagome was getting angry, "I'm a human! I won't live to be 115! Are you insane?" She stood up, sudden inspitation struck her. "Didn't that old woman say there was some man who could change a demon into a human? Well maybe he can change a human into a demon!" Kouga looked down at his hands.

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" He whispered, "What if it changes you? I mean your personality...Kagome, I love you the way you are. I never want anything to change you Kagome."

Kagome sighed, "Why do you have to be so sweet? Don't you want to get home too? On...wait... You'll make it anyway." kagome looked into Kouga's bright blue eyes. "Kouga I have to do this...to make it home. I have to." The sun had begun to set. "We'll wait till tomorrow and ask Gonda where we can find that guy." Kouga smiled,

"But what about our wedding?"

Kagome looked shocked. "That's not going to happen!" She saw the look in kouga's eyes, she hadn't meant to hurt him, Kagome sombered, "Kouga the last thing we need to think about right now is getting married. I have to get home! Don't you understand that? I need to see my family!" Just then she remembered she had already had this conversation once today. "Inuyasha..." Kagome whispered to herself. Would he be looking for her? Of course he was! wasn't he?

--------------------------------------

Inuyasha looked out on all the buildings. He had searched everywhere for her. No one had come to the home yet, but he knew Kagome hadn't come through to this side. He couldn't smell her anywhere here not a trace, "I guess it had been a while since she last visited, her scent isn't even in her room anymore." A tear glistened down his cheek. "I have to find her." He had even gone to her school, but for some reason no one was there! Not a human in sight. He roamed aroung in her house, looking at all the pictures of Kagome as a young girl. He saw her holding her younger brother Souta when he was a baby. "I wish i could have told her, just once...how much I love her. I'm such a fool."
Once again the tears began to flow. "If only I hadn't killed that demon! I could have gotten it it to bring her back! Maybe once I've collected enough of the jewel shards I'll be able to find her....So much for me becoming a full demon...I just hope she's okay.....that stupid wolf had better protect her."

------------------------------------------------------------ -----

Two days later


The sun rose and Kagome opened her eyes slowly. Gonda was standing next to her tending to the fire. "Ahhh, child your awake! Today we begin your purifying ceremony, to make you ready for your husband to be!"

Kagome's face blanched, "Umm actually Kouga and I decideed that we would rather change Kouga into a human first after all."

To Kagome's great regret the old woman looked angry. "The men in this village will not allow you to leave the village with that wolf until it is proved that you do indeed love eachother and that he will not hurt you."

Kagome tried to put on her best 'mom' smile, "But Kouga would never hurt me! And we do love eachother!"

"Oh you do?" The old woman looked skeptical, "Well then if you two go off alone together you should be properly wed, lest ye fall into temptation!" The old woman laughed furociously. Kagome blushed when a picture of her and Kouga came into her mind.
"Ahhh, here comes your demon now." Whispered the woman. And of course Kouga came waltzing into the room. Followed by a man carrying a piece of string, it seemed as though he was trying to measure Kouga, but Kouga kept smacking him off of him.

"Kagome, can I talk to you?" Sounding a bit annoyed. The man looked a little annoyed too and finally smacked Kouga's hand away from his face. Kagome's eyes grew wide with fear. She knew that the man had pushed Kouga's patience too far. Kouga let out a deep growl and bared his fangs at the man. Taking a step closer to him Kouga growled wildly. Kagome began to get really afraid for the man.

"Kouga!" She ran in front of him. At first she thought he was going to attack the man. But she looked into his eyes and once he actually noticed she was there, he stopped seemingly mesmerized by the fear in her eyes.

"Kagome I'm so sorry." She tried to blink away her tears, but all the emotions of the last three days overwhelmed her and her body began to shake with her tiny sobs. Kouga pulled her into his ebrace. She started to resist, but then let herself be engulfed in the comfort of his warm, strong arms. Thankful that Kouga was with her, that she wasn't going through this alone.

Gonda looked at the two. 'They seem to be so confused,' she thought to herself. "The ceremony is tonight; tomorrow you can go and see Manya. And i pray he can help two young ones such as yourselves." Kouga was surprised when Kagome pulled away from him and said,

"Tonight? I almost forgot! I need to get ready." She smiled at Gonda then rushed outside.

"Where are you going?" Asked Kouga.

"To take a bath." Kouga stared after her for a moment, then a smile crossed his face, 'Has she finally changed her mind about me? Has she actually begun to consider being my mate?' Kouga wondered. They had been spending a lot of time together the last couple of days after all...

After her bath Kagome ran back to the village to find Kouga. She found him further down the river under the shade of an enormous tree. He was laying on his back with his hands behind his head chewing on what looked like a piece of grass. His eyes were closed. At first she thought he was sleeping, but saw him swat at a fly. He hadn't noticed she was there yet. Her eyes grew wide and she held her breath as she beheld the scene before her. He had taked his shirt off and seemed to have washed it. It was hanging on a branch by the river. The golden tan of his chest brought a deep flush to her face and a tingle in her stomach. He had let his hair down and it hung in midnight waves over his shoulders. 'I wish i could touch those waves' then that thought was followed up by 'what am I thinking?!' She gasped when she realized she wanted to do more then touch Kouga's hair. At her gasp Kouga's eyes shot open and he sat up. He spotted Kagome and smiled,

"Woa! You scared me. For a second I thought you...What's wrong?" The look on Kagome's face made his heart skip a beat. "What's wrong?" He repeated.

Kagome snapped out of it and said, "Oh, nothing. Just came to see if you were getting ready. The ceremony starts at...sundown." Her voice cracked as Kouga scratched his scalp wildly sending his hair rippling around his face and seeming to make his eyes light up even more than usual. She couldn't help herself she walked forward and reached out. Kouga looked at her then closed his eyes as she ran her fingers through it.

"I love your hair." She whispered awestruck.

he grinned mischieviously, "Thank you." She slowly pulled her hand away and flushed more at her audacity.

"We should probably start heading back." Kouga nodded and grabbed his shirt and began putting it back on, revelling at the dissapointed look on Kagome's face. Then he remembered what he had been pondering before she came. "Kagome?" He watched the new sparkle in her eyes he had never seen before. He wasn't so sure what it was or if it was meant for him. Maybe it was because she missed that mutt back home. He felt his jealousy billow, and tried not to let it show. "Kagome, I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am. If it weren't for me you wouldn't be stuck here, without your friends, family everyone you care about. I'm so sorry."

Kagome felt a tear trace down her cheek and leaned into his touch as he wiped it off with his finger, "Kouga don't say that, I'm so glad your here with me, that I'm not alone." "But I led that demon right to you..." Kouga interrupted, but Kagome stopped him, "You were protecting your pack! You were so brave, I could tell that you would have fought to protect them to the death. I wouldn't have expected anything less from you. I'm so proud of you." She hugged him resting her head on his shoulder. Kouga wrapped his arms around her,

"And don't worry, I know that Inuyasha took care of that demon. It won't make it back to camp." Kagome felt the lump in her throat come back after she mentioned Inuyasha, but with Kouga's arms around her...it didn't seem so bad. Kouga tightened his hold on her and said into her hair.

"Thank you...I hope your right." She lifted her head and smiled up at him. "We should get going." He nodded and they walked their way back to the village side by side.

"Oh my goodness!" Kagome said for the 15th time. The girls around her giggled as they wrapped her in yards of pure white fabric pinning it here and trimming it there.

Gonda laughed, "It's normal to be nervous darling." Kagome feigned a smile. She wasn't sure about this. She hoped Kouga realized that this wasn't for real. She realized finally that she did have feelings for him. But she deffinately wasn't sure that she wanted to commit her whole life to him. She really hoped he didn't think that this was for real. Or did she?

"There, all done Lady Kagma." said the woman closest to her.

"It is time." announced Gonda. Kagome could hear drums and bells outside. The tent was completely void of speech. She stepped outside the tent. And made her way down the long aisly of fethers. She was so nervous. Finally she took her eyes off the fethers and looked up.