InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ What Happened To Innocent Life? ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Author's Note: Hope you like it! And sorry for not updating soonerand thanks to those you have reviewed!
Chapter 5
Gasping, Kagome quickly sat up, eyeing her surroundings. Finding herself back in her snowy surroundings, she forced herself to calm down. Rubbing the sleep from her eyes with her good hand, she shivered as she realized just how cold the air was around her. Snuggling into her blankets once again, she curled around Shippo's small body to share his warmth before trying to fall back to sleep. However, sleep evaded her. Her mind was racing.
Who's was Kanaya and what did he really want? Was he after the Jewel?
No.
No, she knew that much. She didn't know how exactly, but Kanaya was no threat to the Jewel. And she doubted that he was a threat to her. But that didn't answer her first question. The shadowy figure that had introduced himself as Kanaya couldn't have just wanted to warn her, could he? If so, why now? If not, what were his true intentions?
She knew one thing. Inuyasha and the little girl were safe around him - who ever he was. The disgust that had been in his voice was evident even when he had been trying to hide it. If his disgust for half-breeds ran so deeply that he couldn't hide it when he spoke about them, what did he think of humans? If he held the same dislike for humans as he did half-breed, that would mean that Sango and Miruko weren't safe around Kanaya either.
Kagome sighed, her thought weren't helping - if anything, they weren't only adding to the questions she already had.
“You up for eating yet?”
Turning in the direction the voice had come from, a smile graced her lips. “Inuyasha, what are you doing up? I figured you'd be asleep.” Sitting up once more, she made sure that Shippo was completely covered before fully emerging from her sleeping bag. Shivering, she quickly made it over to Inuyasha.
“Are you crazy, woman!” Pulling Kagome onto his lap, he wrapped his blanket around them. “Are you trying to check cold?” Making it so that they were both comfortable, he glared down at the priestess.
“No, as a matter of fact. I just didn't see any reason in talking across the camp and possibly waking everyone up.” Resting her head on his shoulder, she sighed. “You never answered my question.”
“Feh. How's your arm?”
Kagome smiled at his concern. “They say that the second day always hurts worst then first. Now will you answer my question?”
“You never answered mine.” Inuyasha stared down at woman in his arm, his golden eyes showing amusement. “So, are you up for eating?”
She was about to answer, but she was cut off by her stomach growling. Blushing, she laughed a little. “I guess I am.”
“Though so.” Reaching across Kagome, Inuyasha grabbed the small kettle that was on the hot coals. “Here. Just be careful, it's still hot.”
“What is it?” Even as she asked her question, she began to eat it - well more like drink it.
“It's a broth, I guess you could call it. It's got deer and some some crushed herbs in it.”
“It very good. Where is the rest of it?” She knew that an entire deep would make more than just what was in her small kettle.
“Sango put the rest in some of your container. She figured you wouldn't mind.” He was glad she like it. It wasn't very often that he got a chance to cook since Sango and Miroku had joined their traveling group. And even before that, he choose Ramen over cooked meals.
“I'm guessing this means we're out of Ramen?” She giggled as his face fell into a sadden look.
“It's not funny! Mine froze while I was taking care of the pup!” He whined, sounded heart broken, though the amusement in his molten eyes ruined his act.
Getting her self under control, she looked at half-breed seriously. “Really, what are you doing up this early? I know even you don't like getting up before the sun.”
Setting his head on top of hers, Inuyasha sighed. “I was worried. You began to toss and turn shortly after everyone fell asleep. I'm actually surprised that you didn't wake Shippo.” He tightened his hold on her. “What were you dreaming about?”
Kagome set her kettle back on the red coals as she thought about how to answer his question. “I dreamed...” She stopped and shook her head. “No, it wasn't a dream. But I was in a meadow and someone was with me. He spoke of the pup and gave me a warning of sorts.” That was the best way she could word her dream without going into fuller detail. “I have to ask Miroku what he thinks,” she held a nearly complete Jewel between her fingers, “because I don't know what to make of it. And because I believe my dream and the Shikon are related some how.”
Inuyasha's eyes narrowed. He didn't like what Kagome was saying. If the Jewel was involved with things, than everything was only going to get more complicated from here. “You do that. We'll be staying here for a few days any-how.”
They stayed in a comfortable silence as the mountains in the east began to burn red with the rising sun.
OoO
Kagome and Sango traveled through the knee deep snow. They were running out of supplies in Kagome's pack, and Miroku had thought it best for someone to head to the village to get supplies. He'd chosen the two women to go. When Inuyasha objected to girls going by them selves, Miroku explained that the village had thing against demons and had marked Miroku for death when he was a boy for associating with them. Reluctantly, Inuyasha had given in but only after they had agreed to having Kirara shadow them.
“Let's... take a break, Sango.” Gasping for breath, leaned heavily on her walking stick. Miroku talked her into wearing a heavy chihaya kimono instead of her winter of her modern day winter gear, which was hard to travel in, not to mention that her arm was throbbing. “My arms killing me.”
“Well... at least you know it's healing... my Lady.” Sango was panting as well.
Before they had left the camp, they agreed that they their story would be that Kagome was a traveling untrained Priestess who was going to a distant village to receive training and Sango, was something similar to her bodyguard. Miroku had encouraged them to begin playing their parts once they had left camp.
“How much farther do you think it is?” Regaining most of her breath, she waited till Sango answered her. It felt weird not having the guys traveling with them.
Sango shook her head. “I don't know, but it should be close by now. We've been traveling almost all day.” Shielding her eyes from the light of the sun, she check its position. “If we do not reach the village with the next three hours, we'll be spending the night in the cold, Lady Priestess.”
“Then we should get going.” Giving her sister an apologetic smile, she began moving once more. She did not want to be out in the cold when night fell.
They did walk long before the sound of horses, powerful hoofs pounding against the frozen caught the duo's attention. “Bandits?” Kagome question as she took her bow and notched an arrow, while Sango prepared her boomerang.
“This close to a village? I doubt it, unless they're on a raided.”
OoO
Inuyasha leaned against the tree closest to the fire. He'd never admitted aloud, but it was cold. He was also worried about Kagome and Sango. Though the village was nearly a days walk from their campsite - Miroku had thought it best that they shouldn't get any closer to it - it felt like the girls had been got far to long.
Kagome had actually left him in charge of Shippo, which made him feel honor considering she never allowed the fox kit out of her sight except to go to her time. But even then, either Kaede or Sango, usually the former though, was in charge of his safety.
Actually, now that he thought about it, Shippo hadn't thrown a snowball at his head in a while.
“Hey, monk, have you seen Shippo?”
“I believe he curled up in Kagome's sleeping bag.”
Groaning, Inuyasha moved from his comfortable spot and peered inside the said sleeping bag. Sure either, Shippo was there, curled up in a little ball with his face, hands, and feet buried in his bushy tail. Taking a deep breath, the scents on the fabric told him that Shippo was there. Satisfied, Inuyasha returned to his seat.
“Wake me if anything interesting happens.”
“Of course, Inuyasha.” Miroku replied in-between bites of his meal. “One question.”
“hmm?” He didn't bother to open his eyes.
Setting his dishes down, he gave the sleepy half-demon a serious look. “Since when does Shippo take naps?”
Slowly, Inuyasha opened his eyes. His eyes wandered from the monk to the sleeping bag. “He couldn't have, could he?” His eyes when to Miroku again. “I smelt him! There's no way he's not in there!”
“You realize that Shippo sleeps with Kagome every night, right?” Miroku gave Inuyasha a leveled look. “You really must be tired if you forgot that.”
“Oh, no, no, no! This is not happening to me!” Growling, Inuyasha picked up the sleeping bag and gave it a shake. The only thing that greeted his ears was a small 'pop'. “No, no, he did not do this to me!” Reaching into the bedding, he pulled out a stone with a smiley face on it.
“Shit... Kagome's going to kill...” Inuyasha paled as he thought about what the priestess would do to him if he didn't find her kit.
OoO
Shippo laughed. He couldn't help it. He'd tricked not only Inuyasha but Miroku too and now he was free to catch up with his momma!
Sure, the weather was cold, but he'd survive if it meant being with his momma, after all, he had his fox form that was covered with thick fur. He was away from her too much for his liking when she went to her time. So, as long as she was in his and had the power to be with her, then he would be with her.
Shippo, I want you to stay here with Inuyasha and Miroku. I don't want you to follow me, it's too dangerous for you.”
But why, momma? I strong!”
I know you're strong, but I want to know that you are safe. Now behave and listen to Inuyasha.”
Alright.”
He stopped and looked over his shoulder. He should go back, he knew, but he couldn't. He want his mother! Not Inuyasha and not Miroku.
Whining softly, he sat and wrapped his single tail around his front paws, keeping them warm. He had one of two options. He could continue on his way to Kagome, catch up with her, get in trouble and then go along with her or he could go back the campsite, side back and annoy Inuyasha, talk with Miroku, wait till Kagome got back and not get in trouble.
Another whine escaped his throat. He didn't like any of his choses! Either he gets in trouble - which means nocandy for a while - or he has to wait with people he didn't want to be with!
Thinking for a moment, he emerald eyes lit up with an idea. He had another choose! Instead of going back to camp or catching up with Kagome, he could always wait in the middle!
Jumping to his feet in excitement, he nearly tripped over his own tail as he continued on his way. If he was going to wait in the middle for his momma, then he was going to have to be farther away from camp!
He praised his brilliant for coming up with such wonderful ideas!
Author's Note: please tell me how I did with Shippo or the sleepy Inuyasha. I probably could'va done better... but please review!