InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ What Hurts The Most ❯ The Departure ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Tears were streaming down Kagome's flushed cheeks as she helplessly watched Inuyasha and Kikyo descend into the depths of Hell. The man she had loved was leaving her, and it wasn't just for another woman. He was dying for this other woman whom he loved more dearly than Kagome herself. Kagome felt the pain of his betrayal deep in her breaking heart. She felt the same anger that was in his eyes when she had first met him well up inside of her. The same hurt she knew he had felt when Kikyo had betrayed him was filling her to the point of feeling like she would burst from it. She looked into his once glittering golden eyes. They were sad and sorry, but they were nowhere near lonely. There was no more anger and hurt in his eyes. Kagome wanted to scream from the injustice of it all. But she just stood there in despondent silence letting him choose his happiness over hers. If giving up her happiness in her own era to be with him in the Feudal Era wasn't enough for him, nothing was.

"But wait Inuyasha," Kagome felt herself whisper, "You haven't gotten your revenge on Naraku. We haven't collected all the jewel shards. We're not yet finished here." Then she heard herself scream, "Why can't you wait until it's over to leave!?"

Kagome saw a single tear stream from Inuyasha's eye. He couldn't go on leaving Kikyo unprotected to go fight against Naraku any longer. Kikyo needed him to be safe, so Inuyasha would save her. This was the only way. But Kagome was now left unprotected and alone, in the deep dark forest. Shadows of looming trees seemed to disappear as Kagome watched the light that was bursting from the hole in the ground, the hole to hell itself, and the last strand of silver hair disappear and then everything was
back to normal. The now intimidating woods were quiet and dark, and Kagome was now truly alone. She fell onto the soft, cold ground weeping.

Suddenly, she heard rustling in a pair of small bushes. Could it be demons? Would she die here now that Inuyasha wasn't there to protect her? She was relieved to see that it was only Sango.

'How could I have been so selfish?' Kagome wondered to herself. 'Here I am, bawling my eyes out over just one guy, when Sango has lost everyone she ever loved.'

"Kagome, I'm so sorry," Sango whispered.

"No Sango, it was just Inuyasha. I still have a family at home who are healthy and that love me. I'm sorry."

"But you love him Kagome, and nothing will change that."


"Loss is inevitable, especially this one."

Kagome refused to cry in front of Sango. She refused to admit the hurt of Inuyasha's loss to her best friend. Sango had lost so much, and Kagome; so little.

"So what will happen now that he is gone?" Sango asked Kagome.

"I guess we continue our search for the jewel shards and attempt to exact our revenge on Naraku without him," she replied. "I doubt very much that you or Miroku will want Naraku dead any less due to Inuyasha's death."

"You're right. Naraku must pay for what he did to Kohaku! With or without Inuyasha, we will slay him."

"Bold words for a human," said an enigmatic voice from the trees. Sango drew her Hiraikotsu, prepared for anything.