InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ What Matters ❯ What Matters ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The end of the Jewel. Nar/Kag, 500 words.

~

What Matters

~

She was floating again.

She opened her eyes and looked around, at this whiteness that was somehow all colors. She was upside down, but she could sit up if she chose, right herself, roll over on her side, whichever she wanted. It wouldn't make any difference. She was still floating.

In a way, this place reminded her of him. Despite his darknes, the color - colors? - suited him. She wondered if he thought of her as something more than an obstacle to the jewel, now that he was completely youkai. Onigumo's feelings for Kikyou had protected her in part, but they were gone now. Logically, he should have killed her long ago. He'd had the opportunity. But he hadn't.

She sighed and leaned back, and floated.

~

He was floating again.

He opened his eyes and looked around, at this blackness that was somehow all colors. He was not upright, but he could be if he chose; he could do flips and cartwheels and explosions of miasma, and it wouldn't matter. He was still floating.

In a way, this place reminded him of her. Despite her brightness, the color - colors? - suited her. He wondered if he thought of her as something more than an obstacle to the jewel, now that she had overcome her dislike of killing. Kikyou's memories of Onigumo had protected him, in part, but they were with their proper owner now. Logically, she should have killed him long ago. She'd had the opportunity. But she hadn't.

He pondered that, and leaned back and floated.

~

It was floating again.

It had no eyes to open or look around with, but it was aware nonetheless of the void that was no color yet all of them at once. It did not stop pulsing, though the surroundings made it irrelevant. It could not.

If it had had a mouth, it would have smiled. Things were reaching their conclusion. All it needed, all it had ever needed, after the souls themselves passed on all that time ago, was to be given from one being of purity to another. The type of purity didn't matter.

That was why it drew opposites together.

It floated on.

~

They were floating together. They opened their eyes and looked around, and saw each other. Each reached out, but though the jewel was between them, it was to the other.

The jewel pulsed, and pulsed brighter. They somehow saw that, even though this place was all colors. It didn't matter.

Their hands touched.

The jewel's pulse engulfed them.

~

When they woke, they were no longer floating. They were, instead, lying on the ground, apart but with hands clasped. The jewel was gone, but that didn't matter.

They pulled themselves to sitting, and held each other. She tucked her head beneath his chin and sighed. He smiled and flicked at the edge of her ear with his tongue.

"Naraku?"

"Kagome?"

"Let's stay like this for a long time."

"Yes."

They were together. That was what mattered.

~

~ owari ~

~

:: what will be will be ::