InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ When all is said and done ❯ Guilt and Despair ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: It took me a little longer to get this chappy posted, since I didn't know how I should bundle it all together. Anyway enjoy!



Chapter 3: Guilt and Despair

As Inuyasha rushed through the many winding trails of trees and brush, he couldn't help but be taken into deep thought of the scene that had taken place earlier. Why did that wench have to follow me again?! Even though her intentions were good, she ended up getting herself hurt! ...Stupid girl...

Even though the anger he felt over the situation was bad, the guilt he was felt was too much to bear. Never were he unable to protect Kagome and now he felt like he had failed her. He failed her in the attempt to keep her safe out of harms way. He growled at the thoughts running through his head and pick up his pace.

When he made it to the village he went straight to Kaede's hut. The others were surprised as the hanyou stormed in with a distress look on his face, till they saw Kagome's state that is. By this time both Kagome and Inuyasha were soaked in her blood and the group didn't waste any time on helping.

"Inuyasha what happened?!" Sango questioned with fear in her voice

Inuyasha turned his face out of view and gave out a pained whisper, "Kikyo attacked her..." Sango gasped and looked at Miroku to see his reaction. The monk was calm as he watched Kaede start on dressing Kagome's wounds. He carefully chose his words so to not anger his friend, "Inuyasha, you must know that now is not a good time to be in contact with Kikyo...at least for Kagome sake."

Inuyasha sat down by Kagome and watched her sleep peacefully. Miroku was right... having these "visits" with Kikyo were putting Kagome's life in danger. He knew the stubborn priestess would follow him each time she found him wandering off with Kikyo's soul collectors. And he already knew he was hurting her emotionally by doing so...which he never liked making her cry. He decided right then and there that he would stay away from Kikyo for now, just so Kagome would be safe.

He looked back up at the monk as he nodded slowly in agreement. Miroku smiled and looked over to Sango as he watched her tuck in the little kitsune who had cried him self to sleep after seeing Kagome. He knew everything would be all right again as soon as she had awoken and healed. Kaede stood from her spot and turned with a weary look, "The child's wounds are mended to, and she will most likely wake up by tomorrow." They gave out a sigh of relief and started getting ready for bed.

Inuyasha stayed awake as he would sometimes caress the young girl's face as she slept, or brush her bangs away from her eyes. All that ran through his mind was how he was going to confront Kagome about all this when she awoke. The pain of guilt was still hitting him hard and he honestly felt like crying.

"I'm so sorry... my Kagome."

~~~~

Naraku was not surprised when Kikyo had returned to his castle, wishing to speak to him once again. The priestess had complained of Inuyasha's stubbornness and of her young reincarnation getting involved. They all were fools. Did Kikyo not yet see that she was only used as a distraction for Inuyasha as he foiled his plan together? He let out a bitter laugh as he looked at the large piece of the jewel he held in his grasp.

"It is only a matter of time before it is complete and my power will complete itself!" He turned as he saw Kohaku enter the room. "You called for me master?" Naraku smirked, "Yes, I would like for you to seek out Inuyasha and his companions and try to get rid of them once and for all." It seemed like the boy would be able to, since he was some kind of importance to them... especially the exterminator. The young boy nodded as he slowly stood and exited the way he came.

Oh no, he wasn't going to just rely on the boy alone. He had much more planned for the group as he looked towards the glowing pot of flesh that sat beside him.

He grinned, "Much more."