InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Where I Stood ❯ Where I Stood ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of  their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended. In other words, I don't own and I make no money from this.

--------------------
Originally posted to IB4Y2.0 on June 21, 2012 for I-Prompt #19A, which was a picture of Kikyou and Kohaku walking away together and looking back over their shoulders. Won 2nd place.


Title: Where I Stood
Author: ananova
Rating: K
Genre: Introspection/Friendship
Universe: Canon
Word Count: 500
Summary: Kikyou's thoughts as she glances back as she departs once more with Kohaku.
A/N: Contains a few lines of lyrics from Missy Higgins “Where I Stood” a song I thought fit Kikyou perfectly here. I make no claim to the lyrics. This is not a true songfic, I only borrowed a couple of lines that were truly relevant to the fic.

-----------------

Kikyou started to walk away as her Shinidamachuu swirled around her. The young Taijiya, Kohaku, followed. A noise from the clearing behind them caught her attention and she paused, turning slightly to glance back.

The older Taijiya stood there, hand outstretched and tears glittering in her eyes. “Kohaku,” she whispered once more.

Kikyou ignored her. Staying would only further increase the pain, not diminish it. And there was still much to do if they hoped to defeat Naraku. She was about to continue when her eyes landed on another figure.

'Inuyasha,' she thought fleetingly, seeing the pain in his face as she prepared to depart, once again. She managed not to frown when the other girl, her reincarnation stepped up to the hanyou and laid a hand on his arm. No doubt to offer comfort.


And I don't know if I could stand another hand upon you
All I know is that I should


Her own pain increased when Inuyasha laid one of his hands atop of the girl's. 'So it is her that you turn to for comfort now, her that eases your pain. I wanted to be the one to do so but it seems that was never meant to be.'

Kikyou started walking away again, images of her time with Inuyasha haunting her. But each image was replaced with an image of the hanyou with the younger girl, and her heart ached just a bit more. In each image the girl stood where she herself had once been, only Inuyasha seemed happier, more relaxed with her presence than he had been with her own. 'I once asked if she meant more to you than I. I know the answer now. Be happy, Inuyasha. That is all I want. She is able to help you in ways that I never could, love you how I wanted to but couldn't.'


'Cos she will love you more than I could
She who dares to stand where I stood
Oh, she who dares to stand where I stood


Back in the clearing, Kagome glanced worriedly between Inuyasha and Sango. Both were hurting. She nearly sighed in relief when she saw Miroku approach Sango and she turned her full attention to the hanyou. “Are you alright, Inuyasha?”

He gave her hand that was still on his arm a squeeze. “I'll be fine wench,” he said gruffly, his golden eyes turning from where Kikyou had disappeared to lock onto hers. “Thanks.”

Kagome smiled tenderly, still concerned about the pain in his eyes. “Come on, you need to eat and keep up your strength if you're going to protect us weak humans,” she teased him slightly, hoping to lighten the mood. “I think there's some ramen left.”

Inuyasha perked up as she knew he would. “Ramen?” he repeated hopefully.

“Yep, beef flavor,” she said as she pulled it from her bag. 'Don't worry Kikyou, I'll look after him. I'll take good care of him, I promise.'