InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Where the heroes lay ❯ Epilogue

[ A - All Readers ]
---2 Years Later--

The room was silent, as the glow from the sunlight began filtering through curtains covering the windows, and lighting up the room. A sharp gasp came from the bed, and soon a woman rose sharply into a sitting position. Bringing her hand up, she rubbed her temples lightly and sighed. It was beginning to get harder to sleep through the nights, but the hard sleeping position isn't what woke her up. No, it was the sharp pain in her abdomen that seemed to overwhelm her whole body.

Sighing, she looked at the clock beside the bed. She frowned when the numbers only read 6:23 A.M, knowing she wouldn't be able to sleep again she threw the covers over herself, and with difficulty, got up from her position at the bed. Grabbing a fresh change of clothing, she started towards the bathroom to get ready for a new day

After getting cleaned and dressed, she made her way to the kitchen and looked around the room. The kitchen was big, something she was grateful for, after getting married, she and her husband had moved out of the apartments and into a home of their own. Close to the home her husband had grown up in.

Shaking her head to clear her thoughts, Kagome approached the fridge and grabbed out the certain ingredients she needed in order to fix her food. Once the food was done, she took it into the living room to eat it. Of course, she use to eat at the dining room table but with her current condition it was difficult and uncomfortable to do so.

After eating her breakfast, and putting away the plate she had used. She went to the bathroom for a quick potty break, she was starting to think, that after this, her bladder would be extremely damaged. Giggling lightly to herself she went back towards the living room. Grabbing a book from the shelf, she decided she may as well read to pass the time.

Looking at the book, she giggled once more. It was this series that had connected her and her husband, or at least created the attraction. As she opened the cover, she thought back to the major events that had happened this last few years.

* * *

Flashback

* * *

Kagome smiled to herself as she walked down the street, hand and hand with her boyfriend. They had been dating for the past six months, and now they no longer got the weird looks that they use to get. It seems everyone was getting use to the 'famous copycat ninja' having a woman. Kagome turned her head to look at him, Kakashi had been acting weird all day, and she had no clue why.

Then he had decided that they should go out, for dinner or something of another. Not that Kagome minded, Kakashi had been on a mission this past week and in between her work, his missions and training his students it was hard to make time to spend with one another. So anytime possible was a treat for her. She liked being in his presence, it usually made her calm but for some reason...today was off.

"Okay Kakashi, what's going on?" She questioned, while looking at him critically.

Kakashi smiled, he knew she would catch on to something weird happening but may at well drag it on awhile longer. "Whatever do you mean, dear? I was thinking you knew we would be going to a movie and dinner"

Kagome sighed, she knew he would try something of this sort. Snorting she shook her head, "Whatever you say, Dearest"

Kakashi grinned at her response, he wouldn't say anything though. Soon after the movie it will all come to her, approaching the movie theater, he tightened his grasp on her hand as he lead her inside.

Once he bought their tickets, and snacks, they went in and got their seats.

Kagome glared at him slightly though it didn't look very threatening in a dark theater, now this was beginning to bother her. She looked him over critically hoping he would at least give her a hint.

Kakashi for his part, was no mind reader. Though he could feel her sharp gaze upon his person, grinning behind his mask. He looked over at her "What is there something on my face?" he questioned lowly. Trying not to disrupt any of the other movie goers. His one visible eye widened as he looked at her, his smile turned into a playful smirk. Leaning over, so his mouth was beside her ear he questioned her lowly. "Or is it, that you want to begin some of our night time activities early?"

Kagome blushed, glad for the darkness of the theater now. The sudden sound of the movie starting made her jump, she glared at Kakashi as he relaxed back into his seat, laughing lowly at her misfortune.

Giving a nervous laugh, when she noticed some people were staring, she sat back into her sleep. Glaring at the man beside her, she spoke quietly so only he could hear her. "As if, you won't even be getting that tonight" she mumbled.

Kakashi pouted before watching the movie, 'Oh don't worry, you won't be thinking that tonight' he thought with a smirk.

After that, the movies had been a peaceful event. Well, if one didn't count all the blood and horror that the movie held. Kagome sighed as she was once again walking down the street with Kakashi. He really knew how to warm a woman's heart, taking her to a horror movie on their date. It was actually her fault, she had chosen the movie. But she didn't think it would be like that.

She was pulled from her thoughts, as she felt a light tug on her hand. She looked at Kakashi curiously.

Kakashi motioned towards the building with his head, before looking back at her. "That's the restaurant, do you want to go in, or do you want to stay out here all night?" he questioned with a teasing tone.

Kagome huffed, but her stomach answered for her. She laughed sheepishly, "Uhm, yes" she replied with a blush. Kakashi smiled and pulled her inside after him. Soon they were seated at their table, and Kagome looked around the place curiously.

They had never been here before, in fact, she had never even seen this restaurant before. Turning her head towards Kakashi she began to ask him a question only to stop, as she noticed what he was holding. Her eyes widened as he approached her.

"Eh, Kakashi. What are you doing?" she questioned.

He smiled. "What does it look like, I'm purposing." grabbing her hand, he made the ring more visible. "Will you marry me?" he questioned.

Kagome felt her heart flutter, sure it wasn't all that romantic. But for him, it was something. It was at this time, she noticed two things. One, that there was a large audience, of their friends there. Two; Kakashi was no longer wearing his mask, and his headband was hanging around his neck, instead of covering one eye.

Kagome smiled, she would have thought he was joking, but removing both things made a motion that he was serious. She nodded her head, "Of course"

The two were soon overwhelmed with the congrats coming from their companions. Kagome smiled as she watched Kakashi mingle, This is one thing, I'll never regret. She thought, as her smile widened, she swore that night, was the one she smiled so much at, that her face had been sore the whole week following.

* * *

4 months later

* * *

Kagome groaned, as she was dragged into another store. She had learned something lately, even villages will have more then one wedding shop. Luckily, they only had two in Konoha. She was hoping and praying that this one would have suitable dress.

Looking at her dress finding 'team' she giggled and shook her head, they were more determined then here. If it was her choice, she would have just gotten married quietly, but as it was, it seemed everyone else wanted a big festival.

Feeling a tug on her hand, she looked over at the pinkette holding it. "Yes, Sakura?" she questioned tiredly, the girl huffed in reply. "Come on Kagome! We need to go find you a dress." she stated, before pulling Kagome off into the endless supply of dresses.

Soon Kagome found herself in a room, waiting for some of the dresses to be put in there with her, so she could try them on. To humor the girls, and woman that were helping her, she did choose a few dresses that caught her eye. She hoped that one would meet, everyone's approval.

When the dresses were at her room, she looked through each on carefully. Trying to think of what would match what her and Kakashi had been thinking of. They, thankfully, also had more Westernized wedding gowns here, something Kagome had always been interested in.

So she and Kakashi had decided to go for a more 'western cultured' version of a wedding, it still amazed her to this day, how the ninja world seemed like a slightly warped version of her world. Shaking her head to clear her thoughts, Kagome looked over each wedding dress. She smiled, grabbing one, she took it off its hanger to try it on.

After getting the dress on, Kagome looked at herself critically in the mirror. The dress was white, as most were. It was strapless, something she wasn't sure if she was okay with or not. The waist line was natural, and the bottom flowed out lightly. Kagome smiled, it made her feel like a princess.

Taking a breath, she walked out of the changing room, waiting for the others reaction. Waiting for her were; her brother(who had wanted to come, to make sure she got the correct dress) Kurenai, Ino, and Sakura. It was a small team, but Kagome was fine with it. As these were the only few girls, she had grown close to since coming to the village.

"Wow Kagome!! You look great!!" Sakura shouted, as she came to look at the dress more closely. It made kagome look very, elegant, that was for sure.

Ino and Kurenai's response echoed that of Sakuras. Nervously Kagome looked at her brother, waiting for his opinion on the dress. Sure, it will be HER wedding, and HER wearing the dress. But his opinion mattered, her would be filling in her for their father, and walking her down the aisle after all.

Kotetsu approached her quietly, and walking fully around her. When he stopped in front of her, he looked into her eyes critically, "Its perfect, and you look beautiful" he stated, his voice soft and he smiled lightly.

Kagome giggled and hugged him, its funny, she never thought she would get this excited over a wedding dress. But then again, she never thought she would get married either. Mind made up, that this was the dress. They paid for it, before getting measurements. Kagome smiled as she walked out of the building and towards her apartment. The dress would be done a week before her wedding. Which would be held in two months.

* * *

End Flashback

* * *

Kagome shook her head, and put down the book. The wedding had been great, and something everyone really enjoyed. She actually cried at her own wedding, even though that was a bummer, the wedding itself was a great time. Something she would never forget.

Wincing at the double pain in her stomach, she rubbed her hand lightly over the bulge that was now her stomach. She frowned, it had once been flat, it now looked as though she had swallowed a watermelon whole. It had been three months after their wedding, that Kagome had found out that she was pregnant.

It was, again, something she didn't regret. But it was something she wish would get over with quickly. A knock at the door pulled her from her thoughts. Looking at the clock her eyes widened slightly, as she took in the time. It was now in the afternoon, she hadn't realized that she had day dreamed that long.

As a knock sounded once more, she smiled. "Come on in Sakura." she stated, before getting into a more comfortable position waiting for the girl to reach her.

Sakura sighed as she entered the house, she was starting to get worried when Kagome hadn't answered the first time. Setting her bag down beside the door, and taking off her shoes. She entered the home, and made her way to the living room.

It was her self ordered duty to come here when Kakashi was out on missions. Especially since it was getting more to a point where, Kagome had a hard time moving around. Sakura smiled as she saw Kagome waiting for her.

"How are you feeling?" she questioned, as she took a seat near her.

Kagome smiled, "I'm doing good, though I have been better" she replied with a chuckle. "How is training going?"

Sakura sighed, "Its okay, though Sasuke has been taking me as his target, now that Naruto isn't here" she replied with tired smile.

Kagome nodded, "Do you want anything to eat? I was about to go make myself something"

Sakura nodded, and began to get up. "You stay sitting, I'll make lunch." she responded, and began walking towards the kitchen. Only to be stopped as Kagome's hand grasped her wrist, she looked at Kagome concerned only to see the woman staring at her with determination.

"No" Kagome replied, "I'll get it, you have been training. I'm pregnant not disabled." she responded.

Knowing it was useless to argue, Sakura nodded and helped Kagome get up. Sitting in her previous seat, she watched as the woman wobbled to the kitchen.

Sakura looked around the home, as she waited in silence. Her observation was cut as she heard a pained gasp from the kitchen. Getting up she ran towards it only to gasp in return when she saw Kagome on her knees holding her stomach.

Kneeling down next to her, she looked Kagome over with concern. "What's wrong Kagome?"

Kagome gritted her teeth, as she was once again overwhelmed with pain. "I don't know, I have been having sharp pains, but I thought it was false labor. I have two weeks left."

Sakura frowned, "How long have you been having these pains?"

Kagome caught her breath before answering, "Since last night."

Cursing to herself mentally, Sakura looked around. She had no clue what she should do, "Can you stand, we need to get you to the hospital."

Kagome nodded, and with Sakura's assistance stood from her position. Sakura walked Kagome to the door briskly, and putting on both their shoes. She opened the door, and sighed in relief to see Kotetsu standing there, looking confused.

"Can you carry Kagome to the hospital?" she questioned.

Kotetsu nodded, before looking at his sister with worry. Without asking any questions, he picked her up carefully and rushed towards the hospital, with Sakura close behind.

* * *

Kakashi walked through the village gates tiredly, that mission had taken its toll on his body. But he was glad that he was back home, along with the fact that was his last mission for awhile. After greeting the guards, he took out his book to read, as he started towards his home. Half way there however, he was stopped, as someone began calling his name.

"Kakashi-Sensei!!"

Looking in the direction the voice had come from, his eye widened as he saw a frantic looking Sakura approach him. "Sakura, whats wrong?" he questioned.

Sakura waved him off, "Kagome is in the hospital, she has been in labor since last night, and is almost there now."

Kakashi dropped his book at that, without another word he ran towards the hospital. Sakura sighed as she watched him go, catching her breath she picked up the book and followed after him.

Kakashi heard Sakura following him, but that didn't slow is pace at all. When he finally reached the hospital he rushed inside, startling the nurses at the information desk. "My wife was brought in here, she's in labor, where is she?" he questioned.

The Nurse looked at him shocked, this is the first time she, or anyone had seen Kakashi Hatake loose his cool. Of course she knew who he was talking about, pointing down the left corridor she responded. "Take that hallway, and she is in birthing room three. You can just go on in"

Kakashi nodded, and followed the in the direction he was pointed in. Looking at each door number, when he saw the correct one, he noticed Kotetsu standing outside the door. "What's going on?" he questioned.

Kotetsu seemed to be broken out of his daze as he looked at Kakashi. "Ah, your back?" shaking his head at the obvious answer, Kotetsu replied to his question. "They are checking how far along she is now, you can go in" he stated, while motioning towards the door with his head.

Kakashi nodded, and knocked quickly on the door, before entering the room. He was surprised Tsunade was there, but happy at the same time. "Yo, how's it going?" he questioned, as he made his way over to Kagome's side.

Tsunade wrote down what she needed to before looking at them both, "Its going good, you are actually ready to deliver now. My guess is, you have been in labor for almost 10 hours, I wish you had come earlier, instead of just recently." her tone was scolding, looking away from the couple she told her staff to get the birthing equipment ready.

Kakashi looked down at his wife, and smiled. She had been the best thing to come into his life since Jiraiya's books. "So, how did you not know you were in labor for those ten hours?" he questioned in a teasing tone.

Kagome huffed, "I thought it was false labor pains." she responded, before clenching her jaw as she was once more overwhelmed with the pain of the contraction.

Tsunade came in, and got Kagome ready. Kakashi felt rather helpless as the birthing process began, he couldn't do anything to help ease Kagome's pain, nor push it along easier. It made him feel unsettled and very anxious, Although they were having twins, Tsunade had said that the twin's positions meant they could go through with a vaginal birth, something Kagome was glad about.

Kakashi didn't care, as long as both of his children and his wife left this hospital healthy. He was brought from his thoughts as Kagome with held a scream, Tsunade's next words however caught him off guard. "Okay Kagome, your doing great, only a few more pushes and the first baby will be out" Tsunade stated with a soothing voice.

Kagome nodded, and did as she was told. As Tsunade said, within a few moments they heard the cries of their first child. Tsunade smiled as she got the first baby out, and showed it to the parents. "Congratulations, this means you are going to have two baby girls" she stated, before handing their first child to the nurse on hand, to be cleaned.

A few minutes. after that, the second baby was born. Though Kakashi noticed something different, "Why isn't she crying?" he questioned. Tsunade didn't look up, as she tried to clear the babies mouth. She didn't know why she was crying, but hearing the panic in both of the parent's voice, made her act. She quickly scanned the baby, while healing whatever may have stopped.

A few moments later, she smiled in relief as the second born began whimpering lightly. She heard both parents sigh in relief, letting them see their second baby for a moment, she handed her over to the other nurse, for her to get cleaned like her sister.

"While they are being cleaned, let me patch you up, and change you to a new bed before we bring them in" Tsunade said.

Receiving nods from both of the tired parents. Within ten minutes, Kagome and the babies were moved to another room in the hospital for recovery time. Kakashi had gone to get their stuff from Sakura, and soon came up into the room. Just in time, as both of their children were being brought into the room.

He sat the clothing into the corner of the room and went over to the babies. Looking at each of them curiously, sure he had seen babies before, but these two were so small, and they were his. He never thought he would be married much less have a child. But to have two, he didn't know why, but he felt so complete now.

"I'll leave you two to yourselves now, You still need to name them after all." The nurse stated, Kakashi looked away from the babies and nodded. He looked towards Kagome and smiled, "Do you want to hold one?" he questioned.

She smiled tiredly, and nodded. He brought over their first born, although neither had opened their eyes it was easy to tell which was which. Their first born, was bigger, in length wise. While the second was a few inches shorter.

After handing her their first born, he went back to get the younger one. He smiled lightly, as he watched his daughter curl into his hold. It was funny, in all of his years at being a ninja he never thought he would see something so innocent.

He smiled, as he brought his hand up to gently push back some of his daughters hair. They both had light hair on their bodies, it wasn't visible but both of them made him feel as though he was holding a white peach. He smiled as she made small movements, he never thought he would be this amazed by something so small.

"Michiko" Kagome's soft voice, pulled him from his observation. He looked at her and saw that she was making the same observation to their oldest daughter. "I think we should name her Michiko" she stated again.

Kakashi nodded, "That sounds good. What about this one?" he questioned, while turning their daughter more in Kagome's direction.

Kagome smiled, "You can name her" she stated.

Kakashi hummed, looking down at his daughter he thought over possible names. He hated naming things, he couldn't even name is gold fish correctly, so he really didn't want to give a name, that his daughter would regret. He didn't know why, but the sudden name that popped into his head, didn't want to seem to leave. "Kozakura" he stated, before looking at his wife for approval.

She nodded her head, sure it wasn't a common name. But that was a good one, she liked it. "It sounds great." she replied.

Their family moment was interrupted as someone knocked on the door, and then entered. Kakashi and Kagome smiled as their friends and family came in to see the new additions.

* * *

6 months later

* * *

Kakashi smiled as he gently rocked his daughter to sleep. Looking out the window he hummed lightly, as he took in the form of the village. A lot had passed over the past two years, but something still seemed to be missing within the village of Konoha.

His wife, as if sensing his thoughts came to join him. "Konoha is missing its sun" she spoke quietly, and he couldn't help but agree. That's right, Naruto wasn't back yet.

"He will be back soon" He responded, while looking at his wife. She was holding Michiko, Kakashi was amazed how much both of their children had grown in the past six months. When they were born, their hair had been an off black, almost dark gray color. It had no lightened, so it was more of a mid-gray. They both had a mixture of gray and blue eyes.

They were also crawling now, which was a hand-ful. He only took mission once in awhile, when he was able to find someone to help Kagome watch them.

All in all he never thought he could have been more blessed, then he was right now. He had a beautiful wife, and two beautiful children. Motioning towards his wife, the two set their children in their cribs, to take a nap. Leaving the nursery they made their way to the front room.

Kakashi wondered how long it would be, before his team was fully back together again. As he opened the window to the living room. He received his response, as a voice carried throughout the town.

"Konoha I'm back!!"

he chuckled as he made his way over the couch, to sit beside his wife. It seems that Konoha's sun has made its way back into town. Things were going to get interesting now.