InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Why? ❯ Why? ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha.
 
 
Inuyasha looks out onto the horizon and remembers days long since past; the fall of Naraku, how he had fought alongside his brother then, the way they seemed to dance so well together, how alone both stood no chance but together it was Naraku who felt the grasp of defeat, and the way they embraced after that fight…and he also remembers how after their embrace, the way they saw who they held and how it fell apart; how hands gripped swords again and friend became enemy so quickly.
 
He touches the scar on his face and remembers everything. Remembers how their swords still reeked of the stench of Naraku's blood as they ravaged each other's already broken bodies, how no words would consol their rage. Even Kagome's calming words did nothing.
 
He remembers how comrades had fallen, on both sides. The scene forever etched in his mind; Sango and Miroku dead in each other's arms, Shippo, just a teen at the time, broken by Kagura's wind…and Kagura, who had fought so hard and so gladly excepted the release of death after seeing Naraku fallen...after tasting the sweet release of freedom. Kanna had long since fallen by that time. She had fallen as she had always been; cold and empty. She had not seemed disappointed nor happy to fall.
 
The thing that he remembered most, though, was their fight. The way none could do anything to stop it. Both Rin and Kagome cried out to them to stop. Kagome screamed for him to sit but she had long before removed his necklace. Rin fell to her knees in tears screaming out to Sesshoumaru to stop. Her cries went from those of sadness to those of fear as their swords tore at each other. She had before looked at Sesshoumaru with such adoration not knowing his true face…his demon face.
 
Sesshoumaru heard her cries just as Inuyasha heard those of Kagome, but both continued as tears fell from their eyes; tears brought on by the sound of the cries of those they loved and the desolation they inflicted on one another. Why had they cared what happened to the other? They hadn't even cared about their own pain.
 
Inuyasha closed his eyes and was there; in the clearing. He smiled as he watcher the scene unfold just had it did those years ago…Sesshoumaru brings his sword up and it tears through Inuyasha's face. He barely has time to save his eye from the strike. Swords clash again and shatter sending shards every which way.
 
One reaches a mark, one of innocence…one that cries out dousing the flames of anger and in an instant silencing the battlefield. The silence is suddenly broken by the cry of anguish escapes Sesshoumaru wrenched over body. Tears fly unabated from his eyes as all close in on Rin's fallen body.
 
Sesshoumaru holds her in his arms as he rocks back and forth trembling. “Please, please my Rin, rise,” says Sesshoumaru, his voice quavering greatly.
 
“L-l-l-lord Sesshoumaru...y-y-you stopped fighting. I'm happy you stopped fighting, it isn't good,” says Rin weakly as she looks into Sesshoumaru's eyes.
 
“Don't leave me Rin, I need you,” whispers Sesshoumaru as tears fall onto Rin's face.
 
“Don't cry,” says Rin as she fondly strokes Sesshoumaru's cheek, “You saved me once, can't expect you to always be there.”
 
Sesshoumaru's eyes widen with hope and his hand shoots to his waist as he reaches for the sword of his father, but even at that time is had been long since lost; thrown away in anger after he had retrieved his arm from the burial ground of his father.
 
Rin had searched for it as long as she could but Sesshoumaru left before it could be found cursing the name of his father.
Rin's eyes begin to close and she whispers, “I always loved you, Lord Sesshou…”
 
“No, no, Rin. Riiinnnnn!!!” yells Sesshoumaru holding Rin's dead body tight to his own as tears fall unabated from his eyes.
 
Inuyasha finds himself smirking at the weakness his brother shows. He finds himself laughing cruelly as he walks toward Sesshoumaru's trembling body. “Look at the great Sesshoumaru! He who cares for no human! Reduced to a whimpering dog!” yells Inuyasha against his own will.
 
Kagome's eyes fill with tears as she yells, “SIT!!! SIT, YOU STUPID BASTARD!!!”
 
Inuyasha pays her no head and keeps berating his weakened brother who stiffens at his words. “You who tortured and prodded me for my human mother, cursed and spit on the name of our father for loving her! Look at yourself, crying over one dead little wench!”
Kagome cries loudly as Inuyasha's cruel laughter cuts into her deeper than any sword ever could. She begs for him to stop, begs for him to `sit.'
 
Sesshoumaru sits on a knee shaking as Inuyasha's cruel words echo through his mind. His eyes turn blood red and his claws ache for the sweet taste of blood.
 
“Still crying over your dead wench?” asks Inuyasha savoring the sight of Sesshoumaru's weakness.
 
Sesshoumaru jumps up and is at Inuyasha nearly before anyone sees him move.
 
Kagome yelps at the sight of Sesshoumaru right beside her and is swatted away by Inuyasha barely escaping Sesshoumaru's hungry claws. Sesshoumaru punches Inuyasha in the face sending him flying across the field.
 
Kagome rises to her knees in tears in time to see Sesshoumaru grab Inuyasha's leg and swing him into and ultimately through a tree.
 
Across the field Inuyasha tries futilely to defend himself against the onslaught of his enraged brother. He slashes at him only to have his arm caught and easily broken causing him to cry out loudly.
 
Kagome rises to her feet and starts to run at the two fighting dogs when Kouga grabs her from behind.
 
“NO! NO! NOOOO!!!” yells Kagome with countless tears slipping down her face as she tries to break the wolf's grip.
 
“No, you can't do anything,” says Kouga trying to calm her.
 
“He's killing Inuyasha!” yells Kagome watching the scene with terror filling her eyes.
 
Sesshoumaru slices through Inuyasha's flesh, tearing through sinew and muscle easily. Inuyasha falls to the ground moaning in pain. “Huh! Where is your witty fucking bullshit now?!?” yells Sesshoumaru crushing Inuyasha's bloodied face into the dirt. “Come on, talk about her again, you worthless piece of shit, I dare you!”
 
“J-j-j-just one dead little wench,” says Inuyasha nearly sapping all of his remaining energy to do so.  
 
Sesshoumaru picks up the broken hanyou by the throat and smirks maliciously. “You must really want to die,” says Sesshoumaru crushing Inuyasha's throat.
 
Inuyasha raises his one working arm to Sesshoumaru's and futilely tries to break his iron grip.
 
Kagome cries out and reaches out toward the fallen dog.
 
Inuyasha's vision begins to blur and he tries to speak against Sesshoumaru's grip.
 
“Oh, you wish to speak?” asks Sesshoumaru loosening his hold and allowing Inuyasha to speak.
 
“W-w-why?” asks Inuyasha lightly.
 
Sesshoumaru merely looks at him quizzically.
 
“Why, Sesshoumaru, why do you hate so much? Why do you hate me? Why do you hate father!? Why do you hate my mother!? Just, why, Sesshoumaru, why!?!” asks Inuyasha with the conviction in his voice rising with each question.
 
Sesshoumaru growls in response and throws Inuyasha to the ground as he remembers… Inuyasha playing with their father and his mother, Inuyasha curled up next to their father sleeping peacefully, Inuyasha's mother in their father's arms, the protective way their father watched Inuyasha and his mother, and the cold stare his father always seemed to give him; a look professing the strength both of them knew Sesshoumaru had, even as a child.
 
“Stupid, weak, pathetic…” mutters Sesshoumaru as Inuyasha slowly rises to his knees. Sesshoumaru quickly turns his glance to Inuyasha and bares his teeth as he walks toward the rising hanyou again. Sesshoumaru stands before the kneeling Inuyasha and cracks his knuckles before picking him up and bringing him close to his face. “You want to know why, do you?” whispers the powerful demon lord of the west. “Because I was never you, I was and am Sesshoumaru, the powerful and feared son of our father. I need no protection and as such I `deserved' no love. You on the other hand, are and have always been Inuyasha, the weak hanyou son of our father, and you need protection and love. That is how it has always been…well, that is how it was until her,” he says, tears coming to his eyes as he points to Rin's dead body, “she never cared I was a powerful demon…and now, now she's dead and I'm alone, and you, Inuyasha, will pay the price for that!”
 
Suddenly Kagome elbows Kouga in the stomach and brakes into a run. “Inuyasha I'll save you!” yells Kagome running toward the two dogs. She grabs an arrow from her quiver and quickly aims before firing.
 
Sesshoumaru pulls back his hand and cracks his knuckles once again before firing his claws toward Inuyasha, who has tears falling down his face at the time. A cruel smile covers Sesshoumaru's face as his claws enclose on Inuyasha's stomach.
 
The string of the bow vibrates after releasing the arrow which embeds itself deep into Sesshoumaru's side.
Inuyasha closes his eyes in expectance of the sharp pain of Sesshoumaru's deadly claws penetrating his soft flesh. He slowly opens his eyes when he doesn't feel the sharp pain only to see his brother disappear into the wind before his eyes as the holy powers of Kagome's arrow take affect. Sesshoumaru's arm blows off into the wind causing Inuyasha to drop to the cold earth in tears. A cry of anguish escapes from his mouth as Kagome grabs onto his neck saying it is ok. He thinks to himself, its ok, its ok, how the hell is this ok?
 
[~(Back in the present)~] A swift wind blows and Inuyasha feels the tears running down his face begin to chill but continues watching the horizon light up as the moon rises into the sky and whispers what he has always wondered…“Why?”