InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Wings ❯ At the party ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Wings

By Silvermoon maru

 

Chapter 2

 

“Hi, uhm Miroku how are you?”

“Can‘t I call you to say hi?”

“Ok, ok…you got me. would you come and give us a ride to the party?”

“Oh of course, she will be there too, I bet she is as eager to see you than you are”

“Yeah right. I know you don’t say it to everybody”

“well, is set then. See you in a few minutes. Bye”

Kagome sighed while shutting off her silver gray mobile and turned around to find Sango glaring at her. Her look was so murderous that it could have burned holes on her face. The teen deliberately ignored her friend and looked at her mother.

“Our ride is coming mom” then glancing around she asked “where is jii chan? Don’t tell me, he is planting ofudas all over the place again” her face lighted in amusement.

Mrs. Higurashi smiled at her daughters comment and loved the way she smiled, she thanked the gods for bringing her back to her. Her eyes darkened as memories of a year ago filled her mind.

Dark clouds gathered over the Shrine hiding the soft light of the half moon. The wind picked speed and dragged the dry leaves of the ground with it. An ear piercing scream echoed through the night cutting the silence of the sacred area as a blade.

The three inhabitants of the place woke up shaken by the chilling and somewhat familiar voice. They ran outside to the well house, their hearts pounding fiercely against their rib cages. Souta walked behind his mother, his hands secured in a side of her nightrobes. Jii chan walked ahead of them, his wrinkled hand trembling as he reached the old wooden entrance. The door protested when pushed to a side, the figure inside yelped startled. Mrs. Higurashi gasped, tears formed in her eyes at the sight of what leaned against the well side. In front of them, curled into a ball, shaking violently as she cried was Kagome. Her clothes torn and covered in blood. Bruises, scratches and cuts marred her once perfect skin.

“Don’t let him get me” she cried over and over again.

The sound of the Cadillac horn brought her back to the present, she glanced again at Kagome and prayed nothing would spoil her happiness.

Miroku unlocked the doors and Kagome stepped in first.

“Hello handsome” she winked and eye at him and he blushed, a couple of smart and perverted comments were ready to be spilled when Kagome looked behind her and called for her mother and younger brother to join her in the back seat, he sent a glare at the girl who just shrugged her shoulders smirking at him.

‘I’ll get you back for this’ he mouthed at her and she contained her giggles, not even slightly scared by his threats.

Sango let out an annoyed sigh and counted to ten before climbing into the car, the only seat left was the one next to the driver.

Miroku patted the seat and smiled wolfishly at her.

“Come on Sango, the party is about to start”

Miroku Yamada was Kagome’s cousin, his mother was Mrs. Higurashi’s sister. He moved to Tokyo when his parents passed away in a airplane crash seven months ago. He was in India at that moment researching about ‘spiritual paths’ and ways to reach enlightenment when an urgent message was sent to him. Then he met Kagome, a strange familiarity appeared between them, as they knew each other from a long time ago.

He continued his studies in the Shrine and got a job in the antique’s business, Kagome’s father found his knowledge pretty useful.

For Sango, he was just a perverted bachelor which meaning of ‘spiritual path’ was the same as the way to a woman’s bed, and ‘enlightenment’ was the moment when his wandering hands reached for something to grope.

 

888888888888888

He leaned on a tree watching the cars enter the huge iron gate, he wore black pants, a loose black silk shirt which contrasted with his long black hair. Dark shades covered his purple eyes. He as Sango was part of the security team and had to wear that clothes.

Many guests were humans but he could tell that a lot of them were disguised youkai.

Another car approached the entrance, he straightened and walked to the gate slowly, in the back seat he spotted her. His heartbeat increased in anticipation, his orders were very clear and his mission was about to start.

The party was about to start and Naraku would be mad at him if he were late. With inhuman speed he jumped the fence and ran to the entrance through the gardens of the property.

8888888888

“This place is huge” Souta leaned against the window like a dog in his first trip. Kagome agreed silently with him, the place was awesome. The gardens didn’t seem to have an end, sakura trees were everywhere, their pink petals flew around the property as snow in winter time. Finally they parked in a space next to the entrance and everybody got off the car.

A young woman dressed in a white kimono with gray flower patterns greeted them at the door. Her ruby eyes studied them for a moment and widened a fraction as she spotted the birthday girl.

“I’m Kagura Kanai, welcome to my home. Father is waiting for you, please follow me this way”.

The mansion was breathtaking, the carpet was a dark shade of red with golden designs at the borders, the walls were dressed with original paintings about 400 years old, real antiques. The dim light gave the place a sober taste and a creepy feeling.

“Wow this place is unique” Kagome’s mind wondered which kind of party would she have in a place like this, maybe a feast or a ball, they might had called all her school friends and they would appear surprising her…

“This is like being into an horror film” Kagome elbowed his young brother and Mrs. Higurashi gave him ‘the look’ well know as a threat to shut his mouth and be respectful.

Suddenly a startled cry from Souta broke the omnious atmosphere.

“Hey! Don’t! Come back here!” A light green frog had jumped out of his pocket deciding that this house was a nice place to explore. Kagome held his brother’s shoulder to stop him.

“I’ll get it” she was sure his brother would do more damage to the place that the poor little green thing and there weren’t exactly rich to pay for any of the antiques if anything happened to them.

The little animal jumped faster than she expected getting the name of ‘green fiend from hell’. Turning in a corner she crashed with a guy dressed in black. He held her arms to steady her, his touch strong and firm. His glasses fell from his face to the floor and Kagome find herself staring into a pair of amethyst eyes. Long black hair similar to hers framed his handsome face.

“Don’t you people know some manners? Its rude to stare.”

He let go of the embarrased girl and passed by her as if nothing happened dissapearing by the same corner Kagome just came from.

She looked angrily to the place where he went unable yet to say something but absolutely sure that with that awful attitude the guy certainly would be single for the rest of his life. A soft pat on her left foot pulled her attention. The little fiend had decided that her shoe was a nice place to rest. With a defeated sigh she took the frog and went back to retrieve it to her brother.

Another door opened for them at the end of the hall, two security guys were on each side. They nod curtly in greeting and let them pass through the gate.

It was a huge dinning hall, lots of people were gathered in there. Kagome stared in awe at the luxury of the furniture and decorations. Most of the faces were unfamiliar to her but everybody was dressed nicely and looked at her expectantly.

At the center of the room, set on a small table was a present.

“Everybody is waiting for you to open it” Kagura’s voice startled the girl, she never saw her get that close. She looked at her family and friends and all of them gave her encouraging smiles. Her legs moved mechanically to the center of the crowd feeling very, very nervous.

Kagome looked the box in front of her, wrapped in white paper with a huge black bow, her hands pulled the lace slowly. All the eyes fixed on her, her heart drummed in her chest faster in anticipation and excitement.

A soft sound came from the box, something was moving inside, whatever it was seemed to have been disturbed by the movement. The sound became clearer, familiar.

She gasped, her blood froze as recognition fell upon her.

Her eyes darted to the crowd, nobody seemed to notice her distress.

‘It.. It can’t be..’

When she almost convinced herself that her mind was playing tricks on her, the sound came again.

Wicka, wicka

“Oh, come on. How long do you plan to make everybody wait?” the mockery laced in that voice brought her back to earth. The owner was the same guy with long dark hair, his outfit revealed him as part of the security team, she hated his smirk.

‘Great. Now even the guards make fun of me’ If looks could kill, that guard would be dead and buried by now.

A forced smile appeared on her lips as she lifted the lid leaning slightly backwards in case whatever was inside decided to fly to her face. As nothing came out, she decided to check on its contents, her breath caught in her throat at the sight.

A small pitch black bird was tied to the bottom of the box, its wings flapping incessantly and at its feet a golden necklace with a white pearl shined in dramatic contrast with the red velvet inside.

Kagome eyes’ glazed over as a flow of incoherent images passed through her mind. Gore and blood intertwined with the sound of wings.

The security guy who mocked her before, left his lazy leaning on the wall behind him and stood in a more alert position.

Naraku smirked from his seat waiting for what was about to come.

A rush of adrenaline made her hands cover her face as a scream broke through her throat.

“Stop!”

Strange energy pulsed from her core. The wave of power suddenly filling her, a low pink glow enveloped her body making her mind dizzy.

Mrs. Higurashi covered her mouth with her hand and shook her head in denial. She thought that everything was over now, how wrong she was.

Miroku felt the enormous power coming off from his distressed cousin.

“ This is very wrong”

Sango, who was next to him didn’t have to be told twice whenever it concerned Kagome’s welfare and make a move towards her, but something cold and hard pressed to her side restrained her for getting closer.

“What the hell…” One of the guards had a gun pressed to her and gave her a warning look.

“Don’t move” He looked at Miroku before he added “any of you”

888888888888

“What is going on?” she heard her voice but her lips never moved.

Kagome raised her arms and found herself glowing in a bluish light, as fear gripped her soul the energy became too much to bear. The dizziness was worse and pain enveloped slowly, a scared whine broke from her throat.

The box was closed again by one of the guests, a boy with short brown hair, friend of Kagome.

“It’s closed now, you are safe” Hojo’s voice rang in her mind. The light surrounding her receeded leaving her weak and trembling. She lowed her hands and looked at him, his expression changed.

“Run Higurashi, you are in danger” another guard pulled the boy away the confused teen.

The girl looked to the audience but what she saw turned her legs to jelly, besides the guns pointed at her mostly of the audience flickered for a secord in an horde of mosters, each of them different in size and color but the hunger in their eyes remained the same. It was just a second but enough to convince the poor girl that she was delusional.

Naraku gave the signal to the man with long hair , he just nodded and leaped from his spot to snatch the girl from the blood thirsty audience when she dropped on her knees.

Something hard crashed on her so fast that it almost pushed all the air out of her lungs. The room swirled around her, yells and gunshots filled the air.

The man with the long hair broke through a window, thousands of shiny pieces flew by them. Kagome had her eyes shut and her fists holding tightly his shirt.

With inhuman speed he took the girl far into the gardens.

She was really scared but something about the situation felt oddly familiar, a word wanted to escape her lips but her mind couldn’t find the right spelling. Everytime she tried to remember it just seemed to hide deeper into her memory.