InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Wishes? ❯ Wishes ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Wishes?
Hojou was flawless and handsome. His hair was a beautiful shade of dark brown with natural red highlights, his eyes where large and a dark root beer brown, absolutely perfect. A natural born leader he was the `head honcho' or so they say. However Hojou was also exceedingly sweet and open, he wore his emotion on his sleeve. He was thoroughly out of reach, unattainable to a typical girl. But then she had always considered herself a little bit odd, which was all she needed.
She stared up at the night sky with her grey eyes half lidded from exhaustion. Getting back from the Feudal Era for just one day had been nearly impossible, but in the end all the argument and sits were worth it. Tomorrow was the begging of the Tanabata, the Star Festival. July 7th and the week before it the city of Tokyo was always flamboyantly decorated. This year had been no different, the streets of downtown Tokyo where decorated with fake bamboo with glittering strips of paper hung to them.
There all the wishes of the people of Tokyo were written. They pleaded for better grades, a higher ranking job, more money, a healthier life, a wish for love. Many young girls her age had written things like; `my wish is to have Hojou for a boyfriend…', `…to look my way…' etc. However the one glittering silver and purple strip of paper that held mine, Kagome Higurashi wish on it stated clearly `I want to have a sweet boyfriend' and while she never wrote Hojou she was sure that was what she intended. At least she hoped so, lately she felt guilty leaving him behind to find shards. He deserved more dedication and a good listener and she happened to be neither. But her wish was already written and was located at the top of the shrine steps, which was where she was currently sitting. She didn't really want to take it down though.
“Anee-chan they said there would be a meteor shower tonight! I haven't seen one shooting star.” Souta whined they sat at the very top step looking up at the sky.
“Be patient Souta, just wait.” Her voice croaked from all her yelling, at Inuyasha. She looked at her brother; in hope of seeing shooting he dragged her out here. She'd have so much more luck in the Feudal Era, where there was no bright lights to cover the stars.
“Oh, look Anee-chan!” He shouted breathlessly as he pointed to the sky. There was indeed a shooting star streaking across the midnight sky. Kagome rolled her head back the follow it, a wan smile turning up the corners of her mouth. She began to wish, there was no harm in reinforcing her earlier wish.
`I wish,' she started falling back onto the cement as the star flew directly above her, dark hair fanning out behind her. `I wish that I could have a kind boyfriend.'
She took note afterward that she had once again forgotten to directly say she wanted Hojou for a boyfriend. However Kagome's last though before drifting asleep on the pavement was an image. All she could perceive was snow white hair and molten gold eyes.
 
When Kagome woke up it was well past eight in the morning. At the time she didn't notice that she was in her room in her bed, all she knew was that she was going to be late for school. So with speed that even Inuyasha would appreciate she threw on her uniform and ran a brush trough her hair. Lucky when she did make it to school she was only a few minutes late. The teacher took note of that fact that she was slightly out of breath and red faced but he blamed it on all the sicknesses she'd suffered and did not mark her down. They day passed well she turned in what assignments she could and received all her new ones. She groaned as she attempted to pick up her bag. It was just getting worse and worse she'd have to beg Inuyasha for more time to get this done, a lot of time. Regrettably there was no sign of Hojou and she'd been assaulted in the halls at lunch by her friends begging to now what she wished for. She shrugged and was otherwise silent on the matter. It was becoming harder and harder to stand them know, she just didn't have the time or the will to talk about make-up or boys as much as they did. So when school let out she rushed home to avoid them, in the process she'd avoided Hojou too.
 
“The story of Tanabata is said to originate with a Weaver and a Prince. They loved each other very much and would no longer look after their duties so the King of the Sky separated them to opposite sides of the River in the Sky* and said they could only meet on July 7th, just one day out of a whole year. However the Weaver and Prince endured their year and on July 7th where allowed to see each other again and it was a day of great celebration. Every year after they worked very hard and they all ways celebrated with games and festivals on the day of Tanabata.” Miroku concluded as he watched Shippou's eyes light up after the story.
“Whatta a bunch of bull Miroku! Where the hell did you hear such a awful story?” Inuyasha scoffed.
“Just because you didn't enjoy it didn't mean we didn't Inuyasha.” Sango gritted through her teeth attempting to stay composed, although she'd already moved to hit the hanyou. Sitting back down on the ground at the base of a tree outside Keade's house where she had been sitting before she felt like kicking some ones ass.
“Yeah, just because Kagome's gone doesn't mean you can be mean!” Shippou shouted, saying what every one else was thinking.
“Oh I can't can I?” Inuyasha's words promising a dark ending for the kitsune kit. Shippou yipped and made a run for it only to have Inuyasha give chase. A very short chase as Miroku's staff ended any chasing on Inuyasha's part. It struck the hanyou's thick skull enough to turn his attention away from the wailing kit.
“Please contain your anger on this day of gaiety Inuyasha. I am sure countless would be offended if you don't.” Miroku motioned behind him to a large group of villagers enjoying the day off. In all truth the odor of human was getting to Inuyasha and he'd had enough of everyone insulting him. It was as if they were gathered for that sole purpose.
“Keh, what ever!” He growled, standing and stalking toward the ancient well. As he entered the clearing he felt better for it. Even the minute traces of Kagome's scent calmed him. 'It's just one day out of the year, why do humans make such a fuss about everything anyways?'
Without a second thought he jumped into the well bent on giving Kagome a piece of his mind, although he doubted there was much to go around. He was used to the felling of weightlessness he felt when ever he traveled to the `Modern Day'. He did it so often it almost could be deemed normal, but them what was normal to a teenage time traveling hanyou?
 
Kagome huffed as she finished changing into her kimono; her mother had made it recently. It was a fine quality blue material that enhanced her eyes. Her mother had seen it had ancient white dogs and green and white flowers and immediately bought it bent on making a kimono. Her under kimono was white to bring out the dogs and flowers. The wide obi was white with silvery flowers and the ties were emerald green. All in all Kagome utterly loved it and while the dogs looked more like Sesshomaru she imagined them as Inuyasha's father. She placed a silver clip with a white pearl flower on the end in her hair pulling a number of strands away from her face. She smiled and decided that it would have to do. She turned around and nearly screamed at the sight of Inuyasha at her window.
“You could at least make some noise when you get here!” She cried after she let him in. He keh'd and mumbled something but she chose to ignore it, intelligent on her part. “What are you doing here?”
Inuyasha wasn't quite sure of that himself he hadn't really planned on seeing her. He was about to give a gruff answer when the sound of Kagome's door opening stopped him. Before they could say anything an outlandish object flew at Kagome. Using his hanyou reflexes he caught whatever it was easily. He looked at the strange thing and then at Kagome. She looked at him and than at the object.
“SOUTA!” Kagome screamed scaring Inuyasha which caused his grip on the water balloon to tighten. All it took was one claw to rupture the full balloon with a resounding *pop*. Oddly, at least in Inuyasha's mind both he and Kagome where covered in water. Childish laughter was heard down the hall. She made an impressive growling sound before streaking out with a murderous intent in her eyes. Inuyasha shrugged and followed her out the door.
By the time he found her she had overturned a chair in the kitchen in her pursuit of her brother. Currently they where both on the floor, Kagome tickling the life out of the kid. Inuyasha lifted her from him easily. Although he wasn't happy about being wet he'd rather not kill the kid. To say she angry was an understatement she was pissed, and she looked it, her kimono was all wet now. He was sure that had something to do with this anger.
“Fight fire with fire.” He said having heard it here before. Kagome had a wicked smile on her face. She dashed off again leaving Souta on the floor attempting to scramble up after her. He followed them both to a closet where Kagome tossed him multicolored stretchy things. He's heard her call them balloons. Instead of filling them with air she grabbed his arm and dashed off to the kitchen, again. He's seen balloons before at her sixteenth birthday party and later to celebrate Shippou one year being with them anniversary. What was is with humans and dates?
In the kitchen Jii-chan was picking up the over turned chair and sitting in it. He silently read the paper and for a moment watched them with little heed. Souta had yet to show up again but Kagome was filling the balloons up with water. She hurriedly explained that these where called water balloons and there sole purpose was to throw them at people. Inuyasha rolled his eyes but handed her the ones she had given him to fill up.
“Know to find the twerp.” Kagome hissed. No sooner had the words left her mouth then another balloon was hurled at them. It hit Inuyasha mostly as caused a growl to erupt from his throat. He threw one of the red ones missing the door and hitting Jii-chan instead. His paper was wet and smeared but he otherwise made no move. Momma who had just entered and was barely missed looked at them with a mother's glare.
“I want that out of my house! Now young lady!” Was all the words that the older woman could gather before turning to get a towel for Jii-chan. She feared that she was too livid to say anything else without screaming.
“Souta's already outside.” Inuyasha stated somewhat frightened of the irate woman. Kagome numbly nodded and the two made their way outdoors, swiftly.
The moment they where on the grounds both where drenched with cold water from head to toe. If it hadn't have been summer they would have begun shivering. Well Kagome was but from rage rather then any chill. She looked over to Souta who looked utterly pleased with himself, holding the hose as if it was a sacred weapon. Souta just snickered and sprinted away. Kagome darted for the hose he had dropped and turned it towards Souta on full blast drenching his entire back. Souta however continued racing off into the near by forest. Inuyasha and Kagome grabbed the balloons that they'd dropped in their shock, the ones that survived anyways, and sprinted after him. Since it was neither day nor night, it was just before dusk, the shrine complex was thankfully vacant. The citizens that had come to the shrine prior to pay homage in hopes of fulfilled wishes had left.
They ran well past the God's Tree following the runt. Unfortunately, or fortunately, that's what Souta had been expecting. Souta was no fool and knew that in order to win this battle of siblings he would have to plan in advance. In a clearing near a small creak there was a wooden bride, a strong albeit old one. Under it he had placed a large bin of water balloons. He loped ahead; although Inuyasha's arrival was astonishing it simply added a challenge to his game.
Kagome and Inuyasha stopped for a moment thinking the whole situation over. They knew that while Souta wasn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed he wasn't actually dumb either. Deciding to be cautious they slowly made their way towards the trap, stepping right into the battle nearly empty handed.
Without warning Souta began throwing balloon at them as fast as he could. He missed more often then not but still hit his target once in a while.
Using his speed Inuyasha ran around the bridge and hit Souta from behind numerous times, hitting every time. Sadly he only had so many balloons to throw and Souta had obviously worked the whole situation out. Souta looked set for quite awhile.
Kagome on the other hand was running out of ammo, she just needed a plan to win. The punk was doing really well and she was pretty sure he had calculated the entire situation. When she ran out of balloons she just ran blindly attempting to avoid all water at any cost. Gladly there was two of them and one of Souta and he seemed to have trouble choosing who to attack. No longer paying any attention to his water balloon ration he was quickly running out.
Inuyasha had no trouble avoiding Souta's aim; he was just to fast for the kid. He wasn't even using his full speed. It was then that he noticed the small creak directly behind Souta. Diving under the bridge he splashed as much water at Souta as he could. Souta was so surprised he dropped the last of his supplies toppling over it in his attempt to keep his balance. Not one brave balloon survived, leaving poor Souta open to all attacks.
After that point Kagome joined in pleased to finally have the upper hand. Thus the `Sibling Battle', as it would later be called quickly came to an end. Souta called a truce soon after and the three sat on the bridge to watch the stars. Well Kagome and Souta did, Inuyasha was too `insensitive' to join in on such a fanciful activity. What astounded Inuyasha later was that nobody had to bleed in order to win. To bad Sesshomaru didn't have a sense of humor.
It was well past ten when Souta left for the bathroom, citing something about too much water. Kagome shivered, although the blue kimono was made of good material it wasn't meant to get wet and hadn't dried in the fading light. Scooting closer Inuyasha silently helped her warm up. She blushed and she was sure he was blushing too but said nothing otherwise.
“Thanks.” She said after a significant pause.
He snorted. “For what?”
“For helping me defeat my brother in battle.” She couldn't help but giggle.
“Keh, that battle? Yeah right, but whatever.” He tried to seem uncaring but she could tell there was an underlying pride in his statement. She leaned back kicking her legs from over the frame of the bridge.
“Yeah, well thanks anyways.” She smiled. She heard a faint answer. `What I can't hear you?”
“Your welcome…” He avoided eye contact. She knew though, that this was hard for him. She leaned toward him, looked about ready to give a smart ass answer when he turned toward her. In that solitary instance their lips met fleetingly, their first kiss. It was sweet and innocent but rather brief as both Kagome and Inuyasha heard Souta's catcalls from the edge of the bridge. Inuyasha was quick to attack utterly not liking being interrupted.
Still a little lost in the moment Kagome sighed looking up. There right above the clearing a star shot by fleetingly leaving only a momentary impression.
“Maybe my wish did come true.” Kagome quietly whispered. Hojou had been forgotten long before and didn't matter now, poor Hojou. She assumed know that she been thinking of Inuyasha for her wish the whole time. In the distance she heard the cries of her brother beseeching her for help. She rolled her eyes, what would her brother not do to start a fight. What reason did he need to leave her alone?
He didn't he was after all her brother.