InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Without a Lullaby ❯ Fade Away ( Prologue )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A/n: I'm going back and fixing this story. Rereading it was painful to my brain. I was ashaaamed. Time to fix some glaring errors.


Prolouge: Fade Away

 
 
Kagome's forehead was leaning against the very tip of the gravestone. The rough stone felt like an old friend beneath her forehead, an unattainable friend. She ran her fingers placidly over the surface of it, trying to smooth away the imperfections, the harsh edges that matched her reality.

She found no matter how many times she tried, they stayed.

Though she was no longer crying, and had gotten over her most of her denial, she still suffered from the aftershocks of the situation. It had been a few months now, but she still spent most of her days here. Though she was still smiling and as sweet as ever, she was more distant lately... and she was, most of all, mute. She did it of her own accord. Inuyasha's death nearly sent her over the edge... but rather than sacrifice her sanity, which she knew her friends could not bear loosing another dear friend...

She sacrificed something she treasured almost more...

Her voice.

The voice that soothed Shippo when he was upset, the voice that was exasperated with Miroku for his hentai ways, the voice that laughed with Sango about the men and their antics, the voice that repeated Kaede's instructions... and the voice that hummed to Inuyasha when he was sick...

Though he was no longer alive...

She had chosen no longer to speak, to stop those suffering words that would flow from her mouth in incoherent babbles that made her want to revolt against her very own flesh and sink into despair. If she spoke, she somehow became real. If she didn't speak, then she didn't have to acknowledge she lived when he didn't and perhaps then...

She could fade away into him, if only in memory.

She heaved greatly, and her body trembled. She ran her hand over the uneven edge of the stone once more which was used as a marker to where her friend laid. She had spent a good and long six hours chipping his name into the stone with a crude pick by hand... she wanted the world to know who this grave belonged to. And she was sad she could not make it any more special than his name being there.

She sighed softly, and placed a bowl of ramen at the head of the stone, stood and brushed off dirt from her fuku. She nodded one last goodbye, hefted her backpack on to her shoulder, and turned around.

Sesshoumaru stood before her, his hair gently flowing behind him like an untouchable aura in the light spring breeze. She had decided he was right after he had proposed this idea to her with undeniable assertiveness. And she had decided to no longer endanger her friends when she could not protect them fully without Inuyasha, so she decided... to leave them. It was another tear at her weary heart, but she knew she had to keep her head up high and finish what she was meant to do.

As long as she didn't have to exist.

And she knew with Sesshomaru, that would not be unattainable.

The youaki before her nodded at her, turning his back to her and began to walk away.

And she followed behind him without question.

I will miss you greatly, ai...

 
Converting /tmp/phpkSwgpr to /dev/stdout