InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Without a Lullaby ❯ Wanting ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Chapter II- Wanting

Kagome thought she was going to go crazy.

It had been quite a few days, and though she adored Rin to death.... between Rin's chattering, Jaken's insults, and Sesshomaru's demands she wanted to scream bloody murder. She was weary and somewhat depressed, despite her best efforts to remain cheerful. She knew it was all a charade for her young companion's sake, but it was mentally wearing her down.

This change in lifestyle all but made her miss her old one more. She began to dream of the days when Inuyasha was alive, bright and sunny like an endless summer when they were all together. And  when she awoke a few times to find herself hysterically crying when the dreams turned to fire and the memory of his death, she started to avoid sleeping.

Anything was better than that memory.

Every morning she tried to steel herself, only to find it either numbing her or fading her resolve away before her very eyes...

But that's what I wanted. To fade away into the memory of him.

Isn't it?

But not like this.

Not to fade away into nothing but the shell of a person.

So she had two choices, and one way or the other she was going to break.

And she didn't like it.

Especially with the reality she was going to break under the vigil of Great Lord Sesshomaru.

And with that thought, she sent his back a discreet and angry glare. As if  he dare intrude on her mental landscape, not allowing her to fall simply from the fact she had too much dignity to let someone as superior as him to watch her crack.

And though to her it didn't seem as if he felt it, as if the cold bastard never felt a single breath of Kami in the world, he very much did. He felt her glare at him every once in a while, and still in all these days she hadn't spoken one single word.

She hadn't acknowledged him in any other way but scowls and frowns, rigid posturing when he addressed her and silent attitude.

And it was severely trying his patience.

He wanted to rip that defiance from her fiery soul and shove it down her throat for challenging him like that, but he couldn't bring himself to even touch her. In some ways, he was even thrown off by her... Her wild and uncontainable emotions that were expressed in very volatile and obvious ways nearly drove him to the edge sometimes, for it radiated off her in waves that caused his youki to spin uncontrollably. She was made of everything he very much was not.

And it rubbed him the very most wrong of ways.

He knew he needed a moment to rest, away from her, and some time to reflect on his choice.

“Jaken, prepare camp. We will rest here tonight.” Jaken bowed lowly, confirming his Lord, and scrambled off into the forest to find firewood suitable for the most irritating ningens.

Jaken didn't understand... why did his lord house such filthy creatures? He grumbled to himself... how he missed the days it was just himself and his lord...

“Why me?” He cried into his sleeve. His luck was the worst.

While Jaken was having a pity session, Rin ran around Sesshomaru in circles at their camp. He just stood there silently staring at nothing in particular, not even phased by her antics. As if nothing in the world was worth his notice, except for some spot on the indeterminable horizon, a place only he knew of and thought of often. Or maybe he was just staring at the birds. Kagome plopped down, rubbing her sore calves in an attempt to get the cramps out of them, snorting at the idea.

Who knew what Daiyoukais thought about.

Maybe he was just listening to the world around him to fill himself with something, cause obviously nothing moved that man. He was unmoveable. As unmovable as a sumo wrestler.

The thought of Sesshomaru fat vaguely crossed her mind and she had to bite her cheek to keep from snickering. She must be sleep deprived, that must it. She was imagining Sesshomaru fat in a fundoshi.

This did not bode well for her mental health. So instead, so focus on what she felt at the moment.

She was definitely beat, that was for sure. She was grimey, and she wanted to take a bath. She wanted to sleep in a bed, she wanted a good and home cooked meal... She wanted a table surrounded by her family, everyone laughing softly.

At the thought of oden, she all but drooled.

Then a white hair demon peaked around the corner in the visage of her mind, interrupting her familial reverie. Her family lifted their heads from their meals, each greeting him like a member of the household having been gone for a long time on a trip. He grunted, barely acknowledging the greetings and turned to her.

Oi, quit daydreaming wench, we have to get back...

Tears sprang to her eyes, and in her mind she saw her hand reaching for an ear, reaching to tweak it for being so rude...

I know Inuyasha, but I want to stay here just a few more minutes.

It's so peaceful here.

He snorted, carefully moving her hand away from offending his ear.

Keh, I know. Why do you think I come here so much, stupid?

But still...

We have to go.

Her hand tightened against his while he still held it, squeezing it almost for reassurance, for comfort... he squeezed back, in answer.

I know, Inuyasha. I know.

A deep-tenored voice cut through the image and grounded her back to earth. She blinked rapidly from the sudden return to present reality, her glazed eyes resuming life as she lifted them to see who had interrupted her powerful daydream.

Sesshomaru.

“Rin, go find yourself food.”

Rin stopped in mid-prance, nodding vigorously, “Yes, Sesshomaru-sama!” Rin ran to Kagome, who had just begun to look defeated, and dragged her onto her sore feet. Did this child never tire? Kagome pondered dejectedly at that fact, and she doubted  that Rin ever did.

“Stay with her, ningen.”

She felt a vein pop out of her forehead at the way he still adamantly adressed her merely as a human, grinding her teeth together in agitation.

“And afterward, give her a bath.”

Kagome was about the reel around and give him a piece of her mind when she remember... she couldn't give him a piece of her mind. She could feel the way her throat locked up, as she began to stutter a barely audible, "Y..you..." but nothing more.  The words died in her brain, throwing them all together in a choas and began to scream louder, and louder, voices crowding one on top of another to be heard, and she slammed her free hand against her ear to tune them out.

Sesshomaru watch her with vague disinterest, the way she held her head as if it pained her.

He would not doubt it did, having watched her barely sleep in the last 3 days.

Kagome tried to sort through the torrent in her mind, trying to find something to still it, and she opened her eyes for an answer.

Sesshomaru.

And his mightier-than-thou ways and his ungodly attitude and his refusal to acknowledge her beyond nothing but a being of her own species as if it were beneath him to rise beyond realizing she was a human. Hell, he didn't even acknowledge she was a girl.

It was infuriating, and Kagome wished she could simply get away with a swift kick to the balls for an attitude-adjustment.

She smiled at the thought of Sesshomaru hunched over, grabbing himself in pain. She almost giggled, feeling the strain of her torment subside, easing away the mounting pressure that threatened to drive her mad with loss.

Sesshomaru arched an eyebrow as Kagome's face changed from one of anger, to one of unbearable pain, to one of evil contemplation, then one of pure and blissful satisfaction.

She was definitely strange.

He wasn't sure he wanted to examine her emotions too closely.

Leaving the daiyoukai, Kagome endured the chatter that was ceaseless as Rin ran around in airplane mode, sometimes tussling Rin's hair as she passed by quickly. The girl reveled in the affection and contact, sticking close to Kagome as if she didn't get much of either. When they reach the stream, Kagome watched the girl hike up her yukata and crouch down low in the stream with an expert silence one of her age shouldn't have been able to possess.

She watched Rin expertly catch a few fish with her bare hands, a precision far beyond her years and Kagome wondered if Sesshomaru had a hand in refining it. The girl was good, Kagome had to admit. Way beyond good. She was a trooper for such a young kid, and from the looks of it extremely resourceful.

When Rin produced the fish to Sesshomaru in hopes of praise, she never received it. She didn't even see Sesshomaru acknowledge her, but somehow Rin had seen some unspoken cue she didn't even register. When she had turned around, she had kept smiling and gave the fish to Jaken to cook.

And she once again dragged Kagome to the icy cold river for a bath. Rin stripped with an exuberance of never having had a bathmate in a very long time, another girl to confide in. She gibbered excitedly about things Kagome couldn't quite concentrate on, she switched subjects so fast and went on so rapidly with her speech. Kagome merely nodded at her when she felt the sitatuion called for it, trying her best to unfasten her fuku that had not been washed in several days.

Kagome followed the small girl in after she was completely undressed, feeling her taunt pink nipples harden. And she began to grow embarrassed as Rin stared at her mature body, pointing at her breasts with wide eyes and asking if she would get those too when she was a `big girl'. That she had seen other ningen girls her age with some but she didn't know why she didn't have any herself. Kagome nodded, unable to convey anything, covering her face with one hand in red hot embarrassment and an exaggerated sigh escaped her lips.

She wrapped her other arm around her breasts, somewhat self conscious, even though she was in front of another female. She was still being asked questions, and Kagome realized Sesshomaru had never bothered to explain anything about females to Rin. How was he expecting to deal with her when she was a full-blown teenager? He was in for a big shock, that's all she could guess.

When they were done bathing, and had returned to camp they found that Sesshomaru was gone.The fact he had to nerve to just up and leave without so much as a word aggravated Kagome to no end.

 Rin just looked up at the somewhat startled and angry Kagome and reassured her, blinking as she took a correct guess at what was bothering the older girl, “Sesshomaru-sama does that sometimes if there's danger around.” That settled Kagome's nerves some, now that she recalled she was under his protection...

Maybe I should be more grateful to him, she realized with a downcast look...

She was being kind of rude to the man who was caring for her, even if he was a coldhearted prick. Even if it was because of a forceful suggestion that she would be going with him and not to see if she wanted to. That memory made her bristle, but she still reminded herself not to forgot he was still going out of his way for her.

Sesshomaru in fact had been in the area of the river, not watching the females but standing close enough to be able to reach them in time if danger had indeed arose. He knew the miko had a fantastic knack for getting into trouble, and what with a jar of Shikon no Kakera hanging loosely around her neck like a piece of gold waiting to be snatched, he was sure they would run into it and soon.

But all seemed well at the moment.

Sesshomaru returned to camp not long after them, and saw Kagome staring at him quietly. He returned the gaze for a few seconds, locking his burnished amber hues on her and she felt as if he were tearing back the curtain to her soul and peering right inside of her without her permission. She stiffened, feeling somewhat violated, and averted her eyes. He sniffed quietly, muttering a simple, "Hn."

He then ventured to stand on the outskirts of the camp.

Does this man never sit? She lifted her eyes from the not-very-interesting shrub next to her foot and drolled her fingertips along her jaw. There he was, staring off into that unknowable distance again. Damn, what the hell is he looking at that I don't see? She tried looking past him, not the first time, and she doubted the last to see what he could.

But as always, nothing was to be had.

Her pondering was interrupted by a fish being shoved into her face by an enthusiastic Rin. She ate in silence as always, trying not to think of too much. Maybe she should just stop thinking altogether for a while. Thinking was getting her in trouble...

She was too over-analytical.

She felt Rin curl up against her a short while later, her small head nodding against her frame. She steadied Rin's sleepy form with one around around her shoulders as she laid down her sleeping bag and settled the both of them into it. She stared listlessly up at the stars that littered the sky. Everything was too different...

I wish I may I wish I might, I wish on this star, I wish this night...

She was reciting the old rhyme her mother had taught her as a child, when wishes upon stars and fairytales and happy endings all were true.

I wish I knew then what I know now.

They were all lies.

She felt the wetness on her cheeks again. This time it had come to her unaware and unwelcome.

She heard Sesshomaru shift on his feet near silently. She heard Jaken snort. And she heard Rin's quiet breathing against her neck...

What she did not hear was Shippo's snoring, Sango's slap, Miroku's groan, Kirara's mew, and Inuyasha's insults for them to `shut the fuck up, he was trying to sleep.'

She sighed deeply again, turning over and wondering if she'd be graced with a dreamless sleep tonight. She doubted she could last another day without sleep before going looney.

As he sensed the miko turn over and her breathing slowed into fitful sleep, he shifted uncomfortably once more in the presence of her tears. Though she barely sniffed, and was virtually silent, the smell suffocated all closer scents around him save the burning fire. Her sadness was so strong it permeated most other smells. She was beginning to make him feel like he had brought a weakness that could be exploited into his pack. It was causing him regret his decisions.  How could she do it so easily? Was she that stupid? Was she so stupid to not realize that her enemies could take advantage of her emotions? She was really a naïve bitch.

Sesshomaru growled silently to himself, closing his eyes and willed away his impending headache. She was turning his world upside effectively and it was driving him a bit mad. He just wanted to get home as soon as possible to conclude his next move. Which might include simply dropping her back off to her old comrades and being rid of her as a nusiance.

But her ability to see the Kakera was far too valuable to throw away on a whim.

Last he heard, Naraku was in the north. He just needed to figure out what he wanted to do. And the sanctuary of his castle would provide the security and quiet he would need.

 
Converting /tmp/phpsLy8hI to /dev/stdout