InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Without a Lullaby ❯ Mindless ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Chapter VII: Mindless

 
Kagome felt the light sift through the curtains which blew in the breeze like a solitary ghost, wandering alone and forgotten in the midst of time...

...what the hell am I talking about...?

She sat up, putting her palm against her forehead to cradle the migraine which had claimed her. Why was she dreaming about ghosts? It had been on the edge of her mind, like a faint whisper she couldn't ignore but could barely hear. It had caught her in the middle of returning to the waking world and the peaceful vestiges of deep sleep.

 For some reason, she woke up feeling inexplicitly lonely. She told herself there was no reason for this, but she felt so shut off from the world.

So numb.

...And so alone.

She wrapped the sheets on the foreign bed tighter around her, feeling unreasonably cold. The stony walls of the room did nothing to insulate, and she felt compelled to just bury herself deeper into the sheets and sleep for a century.

Falling back onto the overly large, downy bed that was probably only that comfortable just to spite her... to lull her...

Kagome closed her eyes tightly, trying to shut out her nightmarish world.

There was something that was so desperately wrong, so unforgivably terrible in her life...that she was supposed to remember...

But she just couldn't recall...?

Tears spilled over Kagome's cheeks, as she buried herself deeper under the covers, trying to cover up her pain with the temporary comfort and illusion of safety.

There's no one there.

She couldn't deny that. There wasn't anyone there anymore for her.

There's no one left to care anymore.

The thought came to her unbidden, and as far as she was concerned, for no reason. It had popped up in the middle of her throbbing head, forcing its way through the fog of her muddled brain.

She couldn't even recall why she was there.

Where exactly am I...?

She opened her stormy eyes to look around. It had a luxurious finish with an oddly sparse touch. Barely anything personal laid in the room, barely anything that might give away a familiar name, a familiar face...

A face of someone who probably doesn't exist...

She felt it bitterly, not quite understanding her own feelings or thoughts. The strength of them was enough to floor her, to make her want to sink into herself and never come out.

Whimpering, Kagome curled up into a tight ball under the white silken sheets and continued to cry silently to herself.

She couldn't understand her sorrow... there was no comprehensional reason for her to be that way.

All she could make out was it had to do with something painful, something skimming under the surface of her memories... Something that she so desperately wished to deny that she would just rather stay ignorant for the fear that she felt of that monster that lay beneath the exterior of her consciousness.

It caused her to shake uncontrollably, something had nothing to do with the chill in the air.

And somewhere inside of her told her she'd rather jump out the window across the room than to remember what had happened that made her feel this way.

She succumbed to the desire to shut out the world again, falling into a deep sleep.

And within those dreams laid memories of a golden-eyed, dog-eared boy. She remembered the fondness in the way she felt toward him, when she talked to him for endless nights under stars. The fondness in their touches, the gentle caresses of would-be lovers. His exuberant rudeness to hide his shy caring. The way he would stave off her fears, protect her, make her bold and reckless in her pursuits.

She remembered the days she felt brave, even if they more resembled foolish actions. She remembered fights, and losses, and victories. She remembered a taijiya, a houshi, and a kitsune. She remembered the way they all loved each other like a close-knit family, unquestionable loyalty inside each of them. She remembered the common enemy, a twisted thief turned into a spider hanyou, a jewel and broken wishes.

She remembered an orphaned little girl, a loud-mouthed green toad, and a daiyoukai.

She remembered fire. She remembered despair, and agony, and tormet and choas and she was falling again, falling again...

There the dog-ear boy laid.

His eyes were dull, his face turned toward her and one hand laid out in her direction.

As if in the last moments of his life he was reaching for her, telling her to run away, to never leave, to save her life, to save his. He had choked on his own blood, unable to say the last words she knew he was struggling to say, uncertain he had ever heard her screaming his name, screaming how sorry she was, her reckless mistake, her mistake that caused it all.

How sorry it had cost his life to rescue hers.

But that hand moved, when it shouldn't. That hand moved toward her, forgiveness laid there, forgiveness for everything and anything and it wasn't her fault...

But it really was, that was the secret of it all.

That's why she knew she had no place saving anybody.

She couldn't even save him.

She couldn't save the man she loved more than herself.

And now she couldn't even save herself from her self.

And the image of her dead lover faded away, replaced by crimson eyes and a flawless face covered in tattoos and a crescent moon, reaching for her, removing something that had been hurting her, it hurt so much, removing it from her being.

And she found herself screaming into the silence of her memories without ever waking to hear the peaceful world beyond her mind still existed.

 
Converting /tmp/phpaWItN0 to /dev/stdout