InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Worth Fighting For ❯ Enter Kaosumaru: Son of Inuyasha ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Enter Kaosumaru: Son of Inuyasha
The mountains towered high over us, casting everything in shadow as we journeyed through the valleys in between them. Inuyasha's scent was extremely strong now, and I knew we were closing in.
I heard Rin ask, “How much farther, Sesshomaru-sama?” and looked over my shoulder at her.
“Not much farther, Rin… We're almost there…” I answered. Happening to look up at the kitsune on my right shoulder, I saw that he had fallen asleep. He was curled up into a tight ball between my fur and my neck, breathing contently.
Rin saw Shippo sleeping as well and giggled, walking up beside me and looking at him peacefully.
“Aww…” she started. “…he's so kawaii!”
Kawaii…? I thought to myself before saying aloud, “Rin, if you wish to take him, feel free… It's a little irritating to have him breathing down my neck when I'm trying to concentrate…”
Rin nodded and gently lifted Shippo off of my shoulder, holding him close and humming softly to him. She sure had a soft spot for little creatures, I must admit.
After several minutes, I knew that I was no longer the one in search. Rather than it being me searching for Inuyasha, it was Inuyasha who was searching for me. And he was there.
“Wind Scar!” hollered a sickeningly familiar voice. Seeing the golden wave of demonic energy heading straight for me, slicing its way down the side of the mountain, I wrapped my arm around Rin, who was still holding Shippo, and leapt out of the way, narrowly escaping the Wind Scar. Jaken and Ah-Un had already escaped to the air to avoid the blast.
Looking up at the ledge that the Wind Scar had been cast from, my eyes narrowed when I glimpsed Inuyasha standing there holding the Tetsusaiga over his shoulder.
“What the hell are you doing here, Sesshomaru?” he called down irritably.
Shippo, who had apparently been awakened by the thunderous Wind Scar, was looking around, evidently petrified. When he heard Inuyasha's voice he smiled happily and hollered, “Inuyasha!”
Inuyasha's eyes widened when he saw Shippo, probably very surprised to see the kitsune with myself, and he shouted, “Shippo?! What the hell are you doing traveling with Sesshomaru?!”
“I got lost in the forest a while ago! When I was trying to find my way back here, I ran into Sesshomaru and the others!” explained Shippo, sounding nervous.
Inuyasha didn't seem at all convinced but then I heard Rin pipe in with, “It's the truth, Inuyasha-sama!” I must admit, hearing Rin call Inuyasha by such a respectful title made my blood boil, but I decided to let it go, nonetheless. She continued. “Sesshomaru-sama and the rest of us bumped into Shippo in the forest and decided to take him along with us until we found you!”
Inuyasha was silent for a few minutes before I saw him sheath the Tetsusaiga. He then glared back at me and called to me, “So, to what honor do I owe this unwanted visit, Sesshomaru?”
Not unwrapping my arm from around Rin, I stated as calmly as I could without answering his question, “Kagome gave birth recently, did she not?” It appeared that my speculation was correct, for even from where I was standing, I could sense an overwhelming anger flood over him.
“So that's why you came here, Sesshomaru: you came to harm my kid!” he hollered furiously.
“Stop speaking such nonsense,” I retorted, leaping up to the ledge he was standing on as I kept a firm hold on Rin before finally letting her go, “I merely came to determine whether or not I was correct… However, I would also like to see this… nephew of mine…” It disgusted me to say that word. To think, I, the powerful Sesshomaru, would be related to a being with mostly human blood.
“I won't let you anywhere near him!” protested Inuyasha venomously. “I don't trust you enough to let you near my family; oh, wait, I don't trust you at all!”
“Stop it!”
Both Inuyasha and I looked at Rin in shock at her outburst and saw that she looked upset. She was gazing at Inuyasha in a way that suggested she didn't trust him.
“Inuyasha-sama, my lord would never do anything to harm a mere infant!” she cried. “I speak for my lord; please let us see the child!” I'm stunned to say that Inuyasha seemed to be listening to the young woman. I was looking at her in silence, wondering what compelled her to yell at the hanyou.
“Fine,” I heard Inuyasha say; I could hear the distaste in his voice. “I'll take you to the kid… But be warned, Sesshomaru, if you so much as look at him the wrong way, I'll kill you in whatever way I can…” With that fierce threat, Inuyasha turned on his heel and walked off. I told Jaken and Ah-Un to stay put until I got back and Rin, Shippo and I followed Inuyasha.
The place Inuyasha led us to was a small, mountain village hidden by a thicket of trees at the top of the cliff. There weren't many people around but I noticed that a majority of them were humans with offspring. I picked up Kagome's scent and knew we were getting close. I wondered what Inuyasha's son's name was and whether or not he had those ridiculous dog ears or not, like his father.
Shortly enough, Inuyasha came to a stop in front of a small hut on the other side of the village. Even with the thick sound of birds resonating in the air, I could clearly hear a young woman's singing from inside the hut. Inuyasha turned to look at me and ordered, “Wait here. Shippo, you can come in,” before walking into the hut. Shippo nodded and jumped out of Rin's arms, bounding after Inuyasha and into the hut without a word.
Rin looked up at me and asked, “Are you proud of your little brother, my lord?”
“What's there to be proud of?” I inquired. “Mating with a human is a disgrace to all demon-kind… It sickens me…”
“But, my lord… your father mated with a human woman and had Inuyasha… so does that mean your father was a disgrace too?”
I said nothing in reply to that. Truthfully, I thought poorly of my father ever since I learned of his mating with that mortal; and not just me, the entire clan. I was jolted out of my thoughts when I glimpsed Inuyasha walk out of the hut. I looked at him expectantly.
“You two can come in now, I guess…” he mumbled, leading Rin and I to the small hut. As we got to the door, I told Rin quietly to stay outside until I came out; she agreed. I made my way into the hut.
The first thing I saw was Kagome on a bed with the child in her arms and Shippo sitting at the foot of the bed. The young priestess looked exhausted from the previous night's efforts of giving birth to the young male. I saw her look up at me with what I thought was a faint smile.
“Sesshomaru…? What are you doing here…?” she asked.
“I picked up the scent of you and your child and thought I should come see for myself if I was correct or not… it seems that I was,” I answered, stepping closer to the bed she was lying on. I saw the look she was giving me and it seemed to me like she was nervous of my presence.
“Do not worry… I simply came to see the child, nothing more…” I turned my gaze to the infant and saw that he did, indeed, have dog ears like his father. The only difference was that his hair was black like Kagome's; I assumed it was because he had mostly human blood in him.
“What is his name?” I inquired.
“It's Kaosumaru,” replied Kagome with a small smile.
“Kaosumaru…” I repeated in no more than a whisper. I stood there, silent, for a few minutes before speaking again. “I see… Well, congratulations, Priestess… I shall be on my way…” I turned and made my way out of the hut without so much as a glance in Inuyasha's direction. Before I exited, however, I heard Shippo call my name. I stopped and briefly looked over my shoulder at the kitsune. He had a small smile on his face.
“Arigatou, Sesshomaru… for bringing me back here…” he muttered. I simply stared at him without a word for a few moments and left the hut.
When I got outside Rin smiled and ran up to me from the small stream at the side of the hut. I kept walking and she followed alongside me.
“So, what's the baby's name, Sesshomaru-sama?” she asked curiously.
“Kaosumaru,” I answered quietly.
“Kaosumaru… That's a good name,” piped Rin cheerfully.
“It is… However, I'm not certain if it's an appropriate name for a half-breed… It's too respectable…” I contrasted, looking straight ahead as we headed back through the village to where Jaken and Ah-Un were waiting. Rin sighed and decided not to argue with me on the matter, keeping quiet the rest of the way through the village.
Soon enough, we got to the cliff edge where Jaken and Ah-Un were waiting and, telling Rin to get on the dragon's back, I leaped off the cliff with the others following behind on Ah-Un. I landed gently at the base of the cliff and began walking out of the mountains, heading back to the forest. I wondered if Inuyasha, when Kaosumaru got older, would train his son to try killing me. The thought almost made me smile in amusement.