InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ YinYang ❯ Visitor ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A/N: And here's the last bit of the re-vamp. I don't think I changed much (or anything for that matter), but I re-uploaded all the others, so why not? Enjoy!
 
Remember: The only character I own in this fic is Iza and Leiko, Sesshy's mom. Everyone else, I wish.
 
Reminder: Please review or e-mail me with any questions, comments, etc.
 
Chapter Eight: Visitor
 
The next day dawned bright and cheerful. Birds sang their appreciation and small fuzzy animals scampered out of their burrows with no fear. The sky was a clear blue with only a few scattered puffy clouds dotted on the horizon. It was a beautiful day, one that made humans and demons alike stop to enjoy the peace and quiet…
 
“YOU TOLD HER WHAT?!!”
 
Spoke too soon. The harsh scream echoed through the forest, startling the birds and freezing the animals. The humans and demons closest to the source of that terrible noise all released heavy sighs of exasperation.
 
Miroku was the first to speak, “Inuyasha certainly got started early today, didn't he, Kagome-sama?”
 
The young miko merely nodded and continued rubbing her temples, trying to relieve the migraine that was forming. Sango, Shippou, and Kirara were sitting by the campfire, attempting to make breakfast and keep an ear to the battle that was forming between the two inu-hanyous.
 
Iza was standing rigid, head down, at the edge of the camp while Inuyasha was pacing angrily back and forth. Not two minutes ago, she had admitted to her brother that she had informed Kagome about the curse and its history. And he had exploded.
 
“Iza, how could you do that?! I specifically asked you not to tell her and as soon as I turn my back-”
 
“I did NOT betray you!” Iza had finally raised her head. Her brown eyes were flashing with tears and anger. She had definitely not expected this type of reaction to her admission. A little bit of irritation, but not this.
 
Inuyasha stopped in his tracks, back to his sister. Iza could feel the rage rolling off him as a tangible force. Slowly, he turned around. She expected fury and resentment to be his expression, but the deadpan calm was more terrifying. Iza tried to swallow the lump in her throat. It didn't work.
 
Inuyasha took a deliberate step forward, than another. Soon he was face-to-face with the female hanyou, who was radiating fear and concern. He stared down into her familiar countenance and had to fight back the urge to embrace her, to relieve her fears. `No, she went against my orders. I can't let her get away with that.' This decided, Inuyasha broke his calm.
 
“You DID betray me, Iza,” he snarled in her face. “When I trusted you not to tell Kagome about the curse and you tell her anyway, yes, I consider it betrayal.” He raised his hand abruptly to cut off Iza's stuttering response. “No excuses. As the alpha male of this pack, I expect all pack members to obey my orders. Especially if `they' is my younger sibling.”
 
Iza forced herself to stand tall in the face of her brother's anger. She had to know. “But why, Inuyasha? Why hide this from Kagome-chan? I know you want to protect her, but surely she'd be better off knowing what to expect later on, wouldn't she?”
 
A beat of silence, then a low growl began to fill the air. Iza wondered if maybe she'd pushed Inuyasha too far and he was now going to throw her out of the Group. When he finally spoke, his voice was soft, barely loud enough for Iza to hear much less anyone else. “Don't ever question my motives concerning Kagome. I have my reasons and that should be enough.”
 
“But-”
 
“No more!” His arm slashed across the space between them, indicating that he considered the topic closed. He made to turn away when his sister's final whispered words reached his ears.
 
“But how can you keep someone who loves you so much in the dark about something so important?” Inuyasha's head whipped around, just in time to see Iza running off into the woods, the scent of her tears heavy in the air.
 
><><><><><><><><& gt;<><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><>< ;><><><><><
 
`I can't believe that baka! How can he just not tell Kagome-chan?'
 
Iza had run until she met the bank of a small river. She was currently perched on one of the boulders that bridged both water and land. With her right leg pulled up to her chest and her left dangling just above the water's surface, Iza made the perfect picture of a woebegone teenager.
 
She was downwind of Inuyasha and everyone else, so Iza knew that he could find her if necessary, but she didn't think it would be anytime soon. So she would just wait here until either he cooled down enough to forgive her or Kagome beat him into apologizing. Iza snickered lightly at the thought of Kagome dragging Inuyasha around by the ear in a disciplinary fashion. `Give him hell for me, Kagome-chan.'
 
“Hey, inu-kuro, what are you doing away from your little pack?”
 
A rough voice, not to mention insult, broke through Iza's merry little mental image. `Huh? Inu-kuro? What an arrogant son of a-'
 
She was already forming her retort and turning to face her opponent when one of the best-looking demons she'd ever seen sauntered out of the forest.
 
He was a good 6-7 inches taller than her, with long black hair pulled into a high ponytail, showing off the pointy ears that screamed youkai. His bangs had been pushed out of his brilliant blue eyes with a headband made of- `Is that fur?'
 
And it wasn't just the headband that was fur. A cuff of fur covered his right wrist while his left forearm was completely encased. A swath of fur designed to be either a loincloth or something similar was attached at the bottom of samurai-style chest armor, accented by furry shoulder pads/guards. The leggings that came up to just below his knees completed the fur ensemble, while the balls of his feet were wrapped in white cloth.
 
Iza was impressed, to say the least, and not just by his outfit. Underneath the fur and armor, was a body to kill for. Broad chest and shoulders, well-muscled arms, and the best damn legs any man had the right to have. And this was all below the neck. Above the neck only emphasized her original observation. His even features, even drawn in an expression of confusion upon sighting her, made him the epitome of handsome. His perfection was topped off with a golden tan covering every bit of skin that Iza could see.
 
“I'm sorry.”
 
And back to reality. Iza shook her head vigorously to bring her brain back to conversation level. “W-what? What are you sorry for?”
 
The youkai stepped closer towards the river. His countenance was apologetic, his voice embarrassed. “I thought I scented someone I knew. I made an incorrect assumption. Forgive me.” He gave a deep bow.
 
Flustered and flattered by his formality, Iza hurried closer to the demon. “Ah, no, no. Don't bow.” He inclined his head so he could look her in the face, slightly bewildered by her reaction. Iza blushed and fidgeted with her fingers. “I mean there's nothing to apologize for. Anyone can make a mistake.”
 
The wolf demon (now that she was closer, Iza could detect the musky scent of wolves clinging to him) rose fully and stared at the girl in front of him. His nose twitched as he sniffed the air again. Curiosity flitted behind his eyes just before he spoke, “Your scent is familiar. Do I know you from somewhere?”
 
Iza blushed again, more fiercely this time. The wolf began circling her as if trying to determine where he might have met her. He stopped just behind her and Iza could feel his eyes roaming her body. When her ears twitched in slight irritation, he immediately switched his scrutiny to them.
 
“You're a hanyou.”
 
She glared at him over her shoulder. “Obviously, baka. Do you know any full demons with ears like these?” She flicked said ears to prove her point.
 
The youkai adopted an offended air. “Of course it's obvious. I was merely thinking out loud.” Iza snorted and muttered under her breath, “Very loud.”
 
She was whirled around by strong hands, which clamped on her upper arms when she finally faced her companion. His expression was seething and he was baring his fangs that, until now, had been roguishly indenting his lower lip. Iza figured that most humans and demons would want to quake with fear at this burning fire of rage, but all she wanted to do was see if his hair was as silky as it looked. She had to literally bite her tongue to keep from giggling.
 
Eventually, when he noticed she wasn't reacting as any sane person would, the wolf demon relaxed his grip and facial muscles. He released her arms and backed up a step. Needless to say, he was confused. Iza just watched as he stared at her. Finally, he broke the silence.
 
“What's your name, girl?”
 
Iza opened her mouth to reply, and then snapped it shut. Normally she would introduce herself by her nickname, but for some reason she wanted this youkai to call her by her full name, to take her seriously.
 
“Well?” He was getting impatient.
 
She squared her shoulders and met the wolf's penetrating blue gaze with her own strong stare. “Izayoi.”
 
The youkai honored her with a smirk that oddly reminded Iza of her brother. “Well, Izayoi, since you have given me your name, I should retaliate. I am Kouga of the Eastern Wolf Demon Tribe.” He bowed deeply once more. Iza could only gape at the back of his head.
 
`This is Kouga-kun? Why wouldn't Kagome-chan want… oh, right. Loves Inuyasha the Supreme Idiot.' She managed to hide her shock when Kouga rose from his bow. “It's nice to meet you, Kouga-sama.” She matched his bow with one of her own. Kouga's face broke into a genuine smile that lit up his gorgeous blue eyes.
 
Iza could only gaze into their depths with what must surely be the goofiest look on her face. `Someone could drown in his eyes,' was her only coherent thought.
 
A tree crashing to the forest floor not twenty feet from where the two demons stood brought both of their attentions to the woods behind them. Iza was only able to silently utter a short prayer before all hell broke loose.
 
“KOUGA!!”
 
Kouga grinned in an evil manner and fell into an attack pose, just as Inuyasha burst through the tree line. “Oi, inu-kuro, long time, no see.”
 
Inuyasha stood panting heavily, Tetsusaiga drawn and pointed at the youkai. “You wimpy wolf! Get the HELL away from my sister!”
 
Blinking stupidly, Kouga dropped his guard and stared at the inu-hanyou. “Your sister?” He glanced over at Iza.
 
All she could do was whisper a small “Hi there” and wiggle her fingers at him in a pathetic excuse of a wave.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------