InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Yokai No Kokoro (Heart of A Demon) ❯ Kyoko's Decision ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 11: Kyoko's Decision

Kyoko sat in the dining room of the inn. The girls who were now running the inn recognized her and promised her that they would allow for her and all of her companions free room and dinner. They told her that if her friend with the long silver hair had not have killed Shibata, they would have forever been trapped working with his murderous tendencies. They believed that he would have killed them eventually as well. They were eternally grateful to the man who saved them all from 'the psychopath'. Kyoko smiled, thinking back to how grateful she had been that Sesshoumaru had saved her life.

Satoru placed his hand on Kyoko's. "Who is this man that did all of this, Kyoko? I suppose that I should thank him as well, for saving the life of my dearest Kyoko-san."

Kyoko's face reddened as she began to explain to Satoru all about how she had met Sesshoumaru. She told him all about how they had spent several days together, but in all of this she managed not to mention that she had begun to feel a 'certain way' about Sesshoumaru.

Miroku sat in the dining room opposite Kyoko. He ate his dinner slowly, watching Satoru's every move. [He's up to something… but what?]

Inu Yasha watched Kyoko and Satoru, confused. Finally, he whispered a question to Kagome. "What's going on?"

"I don't know," she answered blankly.

Kyoko's heart raced. [Satoru… he's back to the way he was before he disappeared… But, what about what Miroku told me? I know that it couldn't have been a lie…] Kyoko's face reddened. [But… what of Sesshoumaru? I… can't betray him… I… I'm supposed to be finding him now…]

"What's the matter, Kyoko-san?" Satoru inquired. [Something's wrong… I've got to do this soon… very soon, and I can once again taste my freedom… All of this time I have had my freedom, but not realized how sweet it was…]

Kyoko smiled, but the delicate arc on her lips was short-lived. "Satoru, I must tell you something… After dinner, I'll explain…"

Miroku stared at Kyoko in shock. [What is she doing now? The way she had been acting… well, I certainly didn't expect this…That is… she is going to speak with him about what I told her… isn't she?]

Kyoko quickly finished with her dinner and then quietly left the room.

As soon as he was sure that she was out of earshot, Satoru shot Miroku a dirty look. "What have you told her?"

"Nothing short of a truth, but that is not for you to worry of any longer. I'd rather that you not linger here with her."

Satoru snickered at Miroku. "Houshi, do you really wish to send away your sister's true love?"

"I know what is right and what is wrong. I also know that there are better matches for my sister. Besides, perhaps it would be better that she find a yokai than to marry a human," Miroku replied calmly as he finished his food and also exited the room.

[What's his problem? … Feh, it doesn't matter what Kyoko knows, She'll be a part of Naraku-sama soon enough…] Satoru stared into his cup, swirling his drink for a few seconds, contemplating his next line of action.

Inu Yasha glanced at the door for a few seconds, half-expecting Miroku to return and then he glanced at Satoru. [What is this guy up to? He's gonna do ~ something ~, but what or when-I don't know… He acts perfectly normal around Kyoko, but as soon as she's out of range to hear or see him, he acts suspicious as hell…] Inu Yasha cleared his throat in order to gain Satoru's attention. "I don't really know much about you, but I will warn you that Kyoko is not alone here. If anything happens to her, someone might just seek revenge." With that, he gestured for Kagome to follow as they left Satoru alone in the dining room, the crimson room of death and deception.

[He's a cocky one… at least, for a hanyou…] Satoru lingered in the room a short while longer, taking in the décor of the room-still the same as it was when Kyoko had first seen it. He admired the reds and blacks of the room, but also felt fear. He knew that there was something wrong with the room. Something had happened in that room that made anyone who would enter feel uneasy when alone. Satoru shivered when he felt the cold breeze shoot over his skin. He dropped his plate and hurried out of the room. He made his way through the long, seemly endless hall to Kyoko's quarters. He knocked lightly as he pushed his way into the room.

Kyoko sighed as she heard Satoru enter her room from where she stood in the courtyard. [I've made up my mind by now… there's no turning back… I have to tell him…] "Satoru-san, could you come here please?"

Satoru smiled as he approached Kyoko. He affectionately wrapped his arms over her shoulders and gave her a quick kiss on her cheek. "What's the matter?"

Kyoko strained to smile, but her lips seemed unwilling to curve upwards. "Satoru, it has taken me some time, but I have come to a decision. You see, we knew from the start that our relationship would have some difficulties because we are so different from one another. You are human; I am yokai. I'm not saying that a relationship between a yokai and a human isn't possible-it's just not completely natural. If we were to stay together and have children, they would never be able to fit in with any society. You can see Inu Yasha; he's lucky to have the company he has. He was alone in the world for quite some time starting when he was nine. Children aren't supposed to live alone like that, no matter if they are of pureblood or not.

"But, The reason I'm telling you all of this is because I believe that I may have found a yokai that I will be able to stand by for the rest of my life. I don't mean to hurt you by doing this, but you must understand that you were gone from my life for three and a half years. I thought that you were dead. I convinced myself that you were. I am still willing to help you in any way possible, but… It is not logical that we allow ourselves to stay together. We can't do this. But… I still love you."

"What's this all about, Kyoko? Is this because of that yokai that you were telling me about earlier? That Sesshoumaru? Is he why you're acting like this? This isn't the Kyoko I know."

"Satoru, people change. Three years are more than enough to change a person's views of the world. I see now that what we had was true, however, it was a childish dream."

Satoru's eyes stared deep into Kyoko's, looking for the way into her soul. He took a step back away from her, but his hands remained on her shoulders. "Kyoko, are you really gonna go through with this? Is some bumpkin enough to change the way you look at things?"

Kyoko shook her head, now questioning her own words. "I'm not like that Satoru-san. I've made my mind up that this is the best thing for both of us. I mean, you've been perfectly fine without me for the last three years, and I've gotten by decently as well. We should pursue new things and leave our mutual past behind us."

Satoru pulled Kyoko nearer to himself. He wrapped his arms around her tightly and bowed his head down so that it rested upon her shoulder. [Now's my chance, I've got to convince her that I need her… Then…] "Kyoko, all this time, even though I had no memory, I felt empty without you."

Kyoko's heart pounded. [No, this isn't right. I shouldn't be here with Satoru like this… I just told him…] "Satoru-san…"

"Kyoko, don't tell me that you don't want me to stay by your side… Tell me, was it the houshi that convinced you that we shouldn't be together? Who told you all of this?"

Kyoko's eyes threatened to begin overflowing with tears. Kyoko blinked the tears back, but that didn't keep her eyes from burning and her heart from aching. "Satoru, I can make my own decisions. I don't need someone to tell me how to think. Why is it that you could never understand that?"

"I just cannot believe that you would want to leave me like this. Kyoko, you cannot possibly say that you would give up what we had at the drop of a hat. You've changed, yes, but I would never think that you'd change enough that you'd want to leave me…"

Kyoko shook her head. "I cannot deny that I still love you, but in all logic, we should not be together. I have long ago learned that the best way to live is to follow my heart. My heart tells me that I-I belong with Sesshoumaru."

[Dammit… This isn't working…] Satoru strained to feign a few tears. "Is this yokai really worth that much to you? Are you really willing to give everything up for the sake of someone whom hasn't showed any definite signs of loving you?"

Kyoko pulled away from Satoru. "It doesn't matter. Fate has shown that we aren't to be together."

"Fate? Do you really believe in that nonsense? You are the one to decide your destiny, not 'fate'. Kyoko, I thought you were better than to be fooled in to such."

Kyoko clenched her fists. "Don't tell me who I am! Don't tell me how to think! How is it that you can claim to know me so well? You have done nothing but try to tell me who and what I am!" Kyoko paused a few moments to catch her breath. "Perhaps it is for the better that I have made this decision."

Satoru shook his head violently, false tears still dripping over his cheeks. "This isn't the way this is supposed to happen…" He pulled Kyoko back to himself and pressed his lips to hers, hoping that she would be drawn back to him.

Kyoko yanked her face away from his as she backhanded Satoru across his lower jaw. "Get out. Go away."

Satoru touched his hand to his face in shock. He shot Kyoko a quick go-to-hell look as he stormed out of the courtyard, through the room and finally out of the inn entirely. He returned to where his comrades had set up a camp of sorts in the middle of the village. [Damn bitch… oh well, just makes me enjoy my duty all the more.] Satoru sat next to the eldest of his comrades to discuss a strategy with him. "Sao-san, I need your advice on something…"

!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~! ~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!

Kyoko sat on the frame of the door that led to the courtyard. Tears ran over her face no matter how many times she tried to wipe them away.

"Kyoko, are you gonna be okay?" Kagome asked gently as she sat next to Kyoko.

"I just-after all this time-I just sent Satoru away. I yelled at him… I-"

"Shh, I heard…" Kagome soothed as she placed her hand on Kyoko's shoulder. "Don't worry over it… You'll be okay."

"Leave me alone… I need to be alone for now…"

Kagome nodded as she slowly edged out of the room. "Goodnight, Kyoko."

As soon as Kyoko heard the door close, she slammed the doors to the courtyard closed. She blew the candle out and threw herself on the bed. She buried her face in the pillow as she cried herself to sleep.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Satoru sat awake after the rest of the men had gone to sleep. He walked to the edge of the forest, as though some force was calling him there. Satoru leaned against the base of the tree as he heard a buzzing sound behind him. He turned around to see a cloud of Naraku's bees. As they scattered, he saw that they had been covering something-someone. Satoru strained to see in the dim light of the full moon; it was his master.