InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Yokai No Kokoro (Heart of A Demon) ❯ Bittersweet Memories ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 16: Bittersweet Memories

Sesshoumaru's mind wandered about the house and the former inhabitants. [This is where Naoko lived… I remember exactly how I had met her…]

---------Flashback sequence---------

Sesshoumaru had walked through the northern reaches of his domain for several weeks. There was nothing that had arisen his interest, despite his father's assurance that something would. 'You should look to the north, in our lands to find your destiny.'

Those words from long before had seemed like a prophecy before the young Sesshoumaru, but that had been many years before. His father was dead now and the Western Lands had been Sesshoumaru's own for many years since. He was in no need of anything, with an exception of something to pass the time. It had been several years since there was any type of occurrence in his domain. Now, even a small fight between wolf tribes was exciting enough to maintain his interest.

He had been walking at the base of the mountains, but he went out of his way to avoid a human village at the base of this particular mountain. He wandered about halfway up the mountain and was disgusted to see that the local human lord had built his mansion on the side of that very mountain. He decided that he would walk on through because the humans should recognize the yokai lord as their ultimate superior. As he passed through a grove of cherry trees that the humans had planted there many years ago, he heard the sweet voice of a young woman.

His curiosity peaked as he saw the raven-haired beauty amongst the gentle pink blossoms. Her layered kimono was a deep violet, her hair was long, and her eyes were a rather unique copper, with a few flecks of a deeper brown scattered within the irises. He strode out from the shadows behind the trees and directly to her. "Who are you?"

She smiled gently at the yokai lord as she stopped singing. "I am Lady Naoko. My father is the lord of the mansion here. And you… though a yokai, my eyes tell me that you are a lord of some region as well."

Sesshoumaru's heart nearly stopped upon seeing that smile. He stuttered as he spoke to her, "I-I am Lord Sesshoumaru of the Western Lands…"

"Lord Sesshoumaru-I believe I have heard that name previously… my father mentioned it… You fought a war against invading yokai about five years ago, correct?"

By now, his still gentle heart could not have pounded more if it were a hammer. "Yes, I did."

The girl wasted no time to grab Sesshoumaru's hand and pull him towards a wooden bench built between two of the trees a few feet away. "Please, Sesshoumaru-sama, tell me about the rest of the world. I have yet to leave this existence on this dull mountainside. Please, Sesshoumaru-sama, tell me what you can!"

The girl's excited tone was more than Sesshoumaru could resist. He sat next to her on that bench for many hours, telling stories of his past, describing the outside world to the girl. It was past sunset when the two finished talking. By that time, Sesshoumaru's young heart had not been taken by anyone other than the human girl known as Naoko. He carried her on his back to her mansion home. When they arrived, he stopped at the stream just in front of the mansion and set her down in front of himself. He stole a kiss and whispered to her, "I'll show you the world, Naoko-san…"

The girl's eyes lit with happiness as she embraced this man that she barely knew. "I'll meet you under the cherry trees tomorrow morning…"

Sesshoumaru smiled in conformation as he watched the girl run merrily into the mansion. In the months to follow, he would shower her with gifts and his compassion. All was to go well, that is, until he asked her father for consent of their union. Naoko's father was enraged at the thought of his daughter marrying the taiyokai. He boldly told Sesshoumaru that he would strictly forbid it and even found a suitable husband for Naoko to marry. It was Naoko that made the decision. She chose the human man over Sesshoumaru.

It was this event that finally made Sesshoumaru's heart blacken with hate for humans. He left the mansion, Naoko and her damned husband behind, vowing to no longer protect the area.

---------End Flashback---------

It was because of Naoko that his heart had been shattered. It was because of Naoko that he cried for the first time since his father died. It was because of Naoko that he hated humans. It was because of Naoko that he was hesitant to even look at a woman. But now, it was because of his fear for losing Kyoko that his heart ached once more.