InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ You Are Not Alone ❯ Realization ( Chapter 13 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Chapter XIII ~ Realization

Hey, silverfeather's back! Please forgive me for updating so late, but I've just been so busy! What with my boyfriend and school and basketball, it's really hard to try and keep up! Anyway, here's the next chapter, which may be another major turning point in the story! Read and enjoy!

____________________

Kagome continued to sob into her mother's lap as they both sat on the couch in the living room. Kutako (That's what I'm gonna call Kagome's mom from here on out) gently patted her daughter's head as she soothed her wailing. Sniffling, Kagome withdrew and Kutako took a handkerchief she had in her apron pocket and cleaned her tear-drenched face with it.

"Now what's the matter, sweetie?" Kutako asked softly.

Kagome hiccuped as she answered, "I...don't know, Mama. I really...don't know. But whatever it is, it's tearing me apart inside."

Her mother smiled as she commented, "It must be about your friend, Inuyasha." Surprised for a split second, Kagome nodded her head weakly as she sniffled again.

"Well," she started, taking a deep, shaky breath. "He was extremely tired yesterday, so we postponed his tutoring by a few hours so he could sleep. I got worried about him, so I thought I'd make him some cookies, sugar cookies, which are his favorite. But when I was on my way to his house, I saw..." she trailed off, the very memory seeming to burn and seep through her from the inside out. Kutako thought to herself as she could plainly recognize what was wrong.

"It's okay, dear; you don't need to tell me if it's too painful for you." she said reassuringly. Kagome nodded stiffly as she sniffled again. Then Kutako sighed deeply and happily as she closed her eyes.

"Mama?"

"You know..." she began, eyes still closed. Kagome tilted her head in confusion.

"I remember when I had met your father way back when." she said.

"Huh?"

"He was one of the goofiest and strangest men I had ever met. Whenever we would be alone together, he would begin stammering nervously and tripping over anything someone could possibly trip on. But it never really seemed to bother him; he only laughed at himself and told himself how clumsy he could be. It confused me at first, really. Back then, I wasn't very much of a social person, and I didn't want to offend him, for he was one of the very few friends I had had." She took a deep breath as she brushed a strand of black hair from her brow. "But one afternoon, while we were having lunch in the park, he was about to eat this spoonful of pudding before he sneezed and it flung right onto my face. He sat there in complete shock, beginning to apologize for it. But after a few seconds, I realized the humor of this, and I began to laugh hysterically. Eventually, he began to laugh as much as I, and then I threw some cake on his face. It eventually evolved into a minor food fight; both of us laughing, having the time of our lives.

"He walked me home after it became very late, since, for some odd reason, the food fight had lasted quite a while. We both walked, all of the food still stuck to our bodies, though we didn't really mind that much.

"When we came to my porch, just before I was going in, without a word or perhaps even a thought, he pulled me to him in a sweet, gentle kiss. And when he withdrew, he chuckled as he said that I had tasted good from the pudding he threw on me."

Kagome laughed with her mother as she said that. But then she continued, "And the second I got in my house, it had hit me. I had fallen in love with him. It scared me at first, like he had my soul in the palm of his hand and could do whatever he pleased with it. But it began to ease, as I realized I would have given it willingly to him. It was one of the most pleasant and beautiful feelings I had ever felt.

Kutako sighed deeply again as Kagome looked at her in astonishment and enjoyment at her tale. Just then, out of nowhere, Kutako asked Kagome, "What is Inuyasha to you, Kagome?"

She shuddered at the question, but it faded as she tried to put together the countless things she had known about him into a simple explanation.

"Inuyasha, for as long as I've known him, is my whole world. He's the first thing I think about when I wake up, and the last thing when I fall asleep. His company is so much more than I could ask for; just being near him brings me so much joy. His laugh, his voice, his eyes, his smile...it's like pure nonstalgia. My heart just feels so warm and safe whenever he's around. Sure, he's stubborn, rude and impatient sometimes. But he cares for so much more than he comes to show. He's passionate, determined, and confident about everything he stands for. I can also see that he'd never do anything to hurt me or make me upset, and that he'd protect me no matter what..."

Kagome could've gone on for so much longer, but she took that moment to take a deep breath. Her mother smiled brighter and brigher with each word that came from her daughter's mouth.

"Kagome..."

The girl looked up at her mother.

"You're in love with Inuyasha, aren't you?"

Kagome froze at her mother's comment, her eyes widening. Her heart began to accelerate, nearly threatening to erupt from her chest. She lifted her hand to clench it through her shirt as she sat deep in thought. Was it true? Could it be? Was she in love with Inuyasha? She wasn't sure if she even understood exactly was love was. She only knew obvious facts, like it was when someone felt deeply about someone else, and it could drive one to extreme distances. But this...this feeling she felt now...if felt like it was so much more, so very much more that she easily ended up completely lost in it.

A rosey pink blush began to brush her cheeks until it darkened to a deep red. Kutako grinned as she took that as a yes.

She lifted her chin so they would be eye-level, and told her, "There is no one who knows exactly what love is, Kagome. That's because love isn't something you're supposed to think about. It's something you're supposed to feel. It can make you happy, sad, angry, even afraid. It actually exists in many ways. It responds to your heart in only ways that you don't understand. But if you take the time to listen to it, all of the answers will be open and clear to you."

The young girl absorbed her mother's words as she, at the same time, began to understand. She closed her eyes, and imagined to see darkness, but instead saw his face. It was as if his image was branded into her mind like stone carving. It hurt almost. But it felt so...right. She smiled as she opened her eyes and stared into her mother's, believing in her words and the words of her heart. She threw herself at her in a tight embrace, snuggling her face into her chest as a tear of joy and pain began to roll down her flushed cheek. Kutako wrapped her arms around her dear child in equal affection. She kissed her forehead as she gently ran her warm hand through her hair.

Yes, it was now clear to Kagome. More clear than anything she ever knew. Kagome had fallen in love with Inuyasha.

- - - - - - - - - -

The next day, Kagome was in a good mood as she rode with Miroku and Sango to school. She took a deep breath and stretched her arms far above her head, feeling ready for anything. She did not see Inuyasha for the first half of the day, but did not let it bother her; she decided that she would either see him during the later part of the day or at home if she could visit him.

She eventually didn't need to, though, as she saw him during lunch. She had found him hiding out on the roof of the school building right over the school grounds where everyone ate and socialized. When he saw her, he froze.

"Kagome...I..." he stammered, stopping to think of how to explain to her what had happened that late afternoon between him and Kikyo. He wanted to tell her that he did not mean to get her involved in any way, that the kiss meant nothing, and especially that he had no idea that she was involved with her. "I mean...what with Kikyo and...well, I just...I'm sorry, and--"

He was cut off as Kagome put a finger to his lips, silencing him. She smiled warmly at him, pulling out two sugar cookies from her bento box with Inuyasha's face on them.

"I had saved these two," she said simply to him, handing him one.

Inuyasha looked dumbstruck, absolutely oblivious to her actions. But looking at the cookie, he brushed it aside as he told her, "Okay, I know I don't look like that!" Kagome laughed as she took a bite out of her cookie. Inuyasha did the same, and his face lit up as he commented with his mouth full how good it was. She beamed at him in response. They shared their lunch together as the matters of yesterday's events were easily forgotten.

Kagome was in love with Inuyasha, but she wouldn't tell him yet. No, she wanted to tell him when the time was right. She thought that she probably wouldn't have her feelings reciprocated, but at that moment, it didn't matter as much to her. Just as long as she could see him and be near him, that was all she wanted.

__________________

Howdaya like that!? Kagome! In love! Told ya it was a major turning point! Now there's just one question: Does Inuyasha feel the same? Just look forward to the next chapter and see! And don't worry; I'm gonna spend some more time on here and get it posted quicker!