InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ You Are Not Alone ❯ Makin' Messes and Makin' Up ( Chapter 24 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Chapter XXIV - Makin' Messes and Makin' Up

I enjoyed writing this. So please enjoy. Oh, and I don't own any rights of Inuyasha. They all belong to Rumiko Takahashi.

_________________

The proposal was a big success. Sesshomaru sat Kagura down at the park that evening, and as the sun was setting, he quietly and passionately asked for her hand. Kagura practically bawled with joy as she kissed him, and that was an obvious 'yes.'

They told everyone how it went (Shippo called Kagome and told her about it) and that they would plan their wedding to come in the next eight months.

InuTaishou had decided to throw a small party at their house to celebrate his son getting engaged, and invited a few of his friends from work, some of Sesshomaru's friends from in and out of town, a few of their family members, and, despite Inuyasha's constant complaining, happily invited Kagome and her family.

- - - - - - - - - -

The party was held early that afternoon, a big banner held in the backyard that read "Congrats, Fluffy & Kagura." Sesshomaru was not happy when he saw this. But then again, he shouldn't have let Inuyasha do it.

InuTaishou had hired a singer and her small music group for the entertainment, and had caterers tending to the guests. It was basically an all-adult party, save Inuyasha who was still being chastised by his brother for the banner, Kagome who was trying to keep her brother in line from touching Sango's butt in public, and little Shippo who was helping to cater. He was dressed in a tiny dress shirt, pants and tie, handing out cheesecubes to the guests. Every female was exploding in blushes in adoration for the small child.

Kagome and Sango were no different. Sango took a cheesecube and gave him a pat on the head, while Kagome gave him a small hug and a peck on the cheek just for being so cute.

Sesshomaru and Kagura were together during the whole party, not leaving each other's side, Kagome noted. She smiled to herself; that was how it should be.

It would have been the perfect party, with no screwups...that is, until they had brought out the congratulatory cake Kagome made for Sesshomaru and Kagura to commemorate their engagement.

It was a beautiful four-layer cake with gold and purple icing. The layers became smaller working up, forming a tower. Kagome added she was quite proud of herself; this had been the best baking she had done ever.

However, when Kagome was somewhat awkwardly bringing the cake into the dining room, Inuyasha noticed, and ran over to give her a hand.

"Hey, watch it. Don't carry it if you're gonna be klutzy!" he said, trying to take it from her.

"Who are you calling klutzy?" she shot back. "I'm fine; I can bring it in myself."

"And you're doing a poor job of showing it. Just gimme the cake Kagome before you make a fool outta yourself!" he said, tugging harder at the plate to get it from Kagome.

"No! Quit talking to me like I'm some kid! I can...do it!" They both played tug-of-war with the cake; that is, until it suddenly flung from their grasp from their force and splattered the dining room wall; coating it. Everyone around them only watched in stunned silence.

Inuyasha and Kagome looked upon the mess in horror, before turning their heads ever so stiffly to the crowd, their faces burning with embarrasment.

"Well, y'know, cake really isn't all that healthy for you, anyway!" Kagome mumbled, anime-sweatdropping.

- - - - - - - - - -

InuTaishou had found the entire incident rather funny, but wasn't all that humerous when he punished Inuyasha by making him re-paint the wall that got splattered with the paint. He had allowed Kagome to help, since she told him that it was her cake, and that she was a part of it. The table was moved out of the room so they would have more room to paint.

It was midday. Shippo was at kindergarten, InuTaishou at work, and Sesshomaru spending time with Kagura, working out wedding details.

Kagome sat in the middle of the room, just staring at the wall. She wore a light purple shirt with blue overalls over it, her hair in a low ponytail and covered with a white bandanna. She was holding a paintbrush, sitting near the few cans of white paint. She sighed, half disappointed in herself for vandalizing Mr. Hamagichi's wall, and half angry at Inuyasha for making her do it.

She didn't bother to look up at him as Inuyasha entered the room, carrying a couple more paintbrushes and a ladder to get the higher corners. He wore a red shirt with the sleeves cut off with scissors and worn out jeans with holes in them. He wore a black hat backwards on his head, his hair down.

Inuyasha also didn't bother to look at Kagome as he set down the ladder and picked up a paintbrush and walked over to the paint cans. Kagome did the same once he was done, and, without saying a word to each other, began to paint.

An uncomfortable, somewhat angry silence fell upon the room for a little while. Inuyasha was the first to speak.

"You didn't get that spot enough." he said, looking to where she was painting. She stopped painting, a tick starting to form in her eye.

"I got it just fine," she answered, her voice tinging with testosterone.

They looked at each other angrily, but Kagome soon stopped frowning at him, only to sigh sadly and turn back to the wall. She truthfully didn't want to stay mad at him, especially for something that she thought was her fault.

"Just, please let me do it on my own, okay?" she mumbled, not looking at him.

Inuyasha was surprised at her reaction, but nonetheless left her alone as he did the same.

Another silence came upon them. Still uncomfortable, but not with anger. Just...discomfort. And awkwardness.

Inuyasha suddenly ceased painting, but still stared at the wall. ".....I'm sorry."

Kagome's eyes snapped wider as she turned to face him. "Huh?"

"I'm sorry, okay? So can we just get this over with without having to be at each other's throats?"

Kagome was touched at his apology, and nodded. "It's alright. I forgive you. I'm glad you've finally seen the error of your ways."

"What the hell are you talking about?" he asked. "I don't see anything wrong with whatever it is I did. I just don't want you peeved at me. Cause quite frankly, Kagome, and dont' mock me for saying this, but never before has anyone's attitude made me want to hide under my bed before."

She was about to yell at him for not realizing what he had done what was wrong, but it was then that she discovered she couldn't remember what she got angry at him for in the first place. And besides, it was rather funny that her mad side seemed so intimidating to him. She broke out laughing, hugging herself as the giggles took over her body.

"Hey, what's so funny!?" Inuyasha stared at her like she had grown two extra arms. "Quit laughing at me!"

She didn't stop. He was starting to get annoyed. He took the paintbrush in his hands and walked over to her, brushing her cheek with it, leaving a blob of paint on it. Kagome immediately stopped her laughing to gape at him in disbelief, feeling the paint on her face. He chuckled aloud.

"Oops?" he continued laughing.

"Sure, 'oops.' " Kagome ran up to him and touched his nose with her paintbrush, making a big white dot on the tip. He stopped to stare at her with surprised eyes.

"Haha, I didn't mean to?"

"Yeah, right! That was on purpose!"

"Sure..." she then quickly brushed both his cheeks, and lept back, grinning. "But that was an accident."

Smirking evilly and playfully, he grabbed a paintcan and aimed directly at her. Kagome started to step back, cringing as he came upon her.

"I-Inuyasha! Think about what you're doing!" But it was too late. He had splashed her a little with the paint, covering her torso in white. She looked at herself with disbelief, before shaking her head, a basic 'Oh-no-you-didn't' gesture and picked her paintbrush up, holding it up like you'd hold up a sword.

"En garde!" she said.

Inuyasha chuckled before picking up his paintbrush to meet hers.

"Do your worst, girl!"

The two dueled with their brushes, covering each other's arms and faces with white paint. Kagome couldn't seem to compete with Inuyasha; he seemed skilled with a sword/brush in his hand. They fought in the same manner that any pirate or midieval pair would've fought, backing up and moving forward when gaining the advantage. Kagome accidentally dropped her brush and tried to run away from Inuyasha, who was chasing her with mischief in his eyes. Kagome was squealing with excitement and fake terror as Inuyasha was chuckling as he began to descend upon her. Finally catching up to her, he grabbed her from behind and spun her around in circles playfully. Kagome laughed as she managed to make Inuyasha let go of her by pulling on a long of his long silver hair. He yelped as he dropped her unceremoniouslly on the ground, allowing her to pounce upon him, pinning him down on the floor in victory. They were both panting from fatigue and excitement.

"I win!" she announced proudly, still keeping a firm lock on his wrists.

"Hah, beginner's luck!" he shot back, but still grinning. They laughed at each other quietly before looking upon one another again.

Each's eyes seemed to breed a kind of thoughtfulness as they gazed into the other's. Kagome tucked a black strand behind her ear as she smiled at him. She held her breath, though, as Inuyasha's hand slid from the lock her's had had on it and held her cheek in it. She felt her face get dangerously warm at the affectionate touch.

"There's some paint there..." he almost whispered as his thumb gently grazed her paint-covered cheek. But right after he said that, his face flushed a little as he snatched his hand away.

Kagome got up off him, her heart beating wildly in her chest. Had that really happened? Was she hallucinating, or did Inuyasha just touch her? She couldn't believe it, but a part of her went off in her head in joy; this could mean that he had feelings for her too!

But as much as she wanted to believe that, a more saddening, more realistic of her overcame it, claiming that she could never have a chance for him. After all, she was still only his friend, since their relationship had somewhat evolved over their meager teacher-student friendship.

Despite this, as long as she was his friend, she was happy. Even if her heart would be ripped out in the process, she loved him enough for him to see and accept her as he would in his vision of her. She could live with that. For now...she could live with that.

_____________________