InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Yume (Dream) ❯ Yume ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Her hand closed on the shining shard, and she clutched it to her chest protectively. The final shard. This was it! A smile of pure joy, satisfaction, and relief graced her face as she placed the final peace in a small indentation in the iridescent jewel and watched as it glowed, merging together, finally healed. At last, the Shikon no Tama lay complete in her hand. She had fixed her mistake. Inuyasha would be pleased, Kagome knew, and she looked up, expecting to see his mischievous face.
 
Silver hair mingled with raven as Inuyasha cupped the other girl's cheek. “Kikyo...,” he murmured, embracing her. It was always Kikyo, wasn't it? God how she hated Kikyo. Kagome stiffened, not even feeling the heated tears gathering in her eyes. She shook herself desperately, just watching. Merely an observer, that's all she ever was. With a furious thrust, she hurled the complete, sparkling Shikon no Tama and watched as it collided with the tree trunk, shattering into hundreds of thousands of pieces, only to be gathered by Naraku's countless poison bees. Kagome didn't care.
 
Then, in a shift of reality, it was she that Inuyasha held, and she that he lowered his lips to kiss slowly, carefully. She held her breath, feeling dizzy, lightheaded, surreal. Her breath was sucked from her in her impatience. She wanted that kiss, just that one kiss. It didn't matter if he thought she was Kikyo. She just wanted to be loved. Nothing mattered but that kiss.
 
It never came.
 
“Kagome, where's the jewel? Where's the Shikon no Tama? Where is it?!
 
Kagome knew the tears poured freely down her cheeks now, but she couldn't feel them. She didn't care. “Who do you love—me or Kikyo? Or is it the Shikon no Tama you love?”
 
“Kagome...” His eyes glazed, and she could feel his moist breath on her cheek.
 
“Answer me!”
 
Inuyasha leaned closer, amber cat eyes half closed, nails digging into her forearms. Would he kiss her? Kagome's breath hitched.
 
Suddenly, the ground was whipped from beneath her like a carpet, and she was falling, falling, the wind whipping her body and billowing through her clothes. It was only now that she realized with a start that she wore Kikyo's robes. But that was inconsequential. Soon she would crash to her death, and she knew not where. This abyss had not been there moments before. Somehow, though, she did not care. Numbness flowed through her veins like morphine, and she couldn't feel. But nothing mattered.
 
With a jerk, she fell back into her own body. The first thought came, surprising in its predictability. “Thank God that was a dream.”
 
Breathing still feverish, Kagome blinked her eyes open. Golden eyes gazed down at her from about two inches away. Warm, wet breath caressed her cheek.
 
“BAKA!” She slapped him, hard. Inuyasha clutched at is damaged cheek.
 
“Itai!”