Kagaku Ninja-Tai Gatchaman Fan Fiction ❯ The Timepiece ❯ Chapter 18 ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 18

It was almost Midnight.

The normally quiet and tranquil resort area of Peterborough was however bright as the day, illuminated by floodlights from the numerous ISO troopers both on land and in the air. Countless ISO agents swarmed the area around the ISO villa and the cliff, combing for clues and evidence, as confused neighbours watched on. All that the neighbours could figure out was that something big was going on, not only that tons of ISO agents were involved, but the entire KNT was there.

The search had embarked about an hour ago and was now at its peak. Dr. Kamo had just arrived and was talking to the KNT members on site.

"Has anything been discovered yet?" Dr. Kamo asked as soon as the team gathered around him.

"I am afraid not much, Hakase." Ken replied. "There had been signs of a gunshot and shrapnel had been found. So far, the most positive finding is that no traces of blood had been found anywhere."

Dr. Kamo nodded, "Good, at least, we can hope that the girls are not harmed."

"As yet." Added Joe.

"Yes, as yet, Joe." Ken nodded.

Before they could go on, one of the agents working by the side of the cliff yelled out, "Come over here! Quick! I think I heard a cry for help!"

The team looked at one another, at least two people in the party felt their heart skipped a beat.

"Let's go!" Ken said after a short moment of silence. The rest nodded in reply and hurried over.

The troops had already directed their floodlights down the side of the cliff where the cry was reported. A stone hedge could be seen projected from the wall of the cliff several meters down. A still female form could be seen sprawled face down on it.

"Can you see? Is it Yuki?" Jinpei tried to push past his older teammates.

"Can't see too well from here, but it looks more like Pepsi to me." Ryu replied.

"Oh! Is she okay? Where is Yuki?" Jinpei continued to ask.

"Sheesh, Jinpei! We'll know the answers soon. Jun, get me a rope. I am going down." Ken said frowning.

"Like Hell you are!" Joe growled, stepping in front of Ken and blocking his path. "You'd better remember that you are still in recovery!"

Without allowing any time for Ken to retort, Joe snatched the rope from Jun and secured one side of the rope to a nearby tree. He then swiftly let himself down the side of the cliff to the ledge. He gently rolled the girl over. It was Pepsi!

With the help of the rescue crew, Joe soon lifted Pepsi to the top of the cliff. The Emergency crew quickly gathered round to give her a quick check-up. She was conscious, and though battered, was not in too bad a shape considering the fall. The Emergency crew then moved her into a gurney in preparation to transport her back to the base.

As the Emergency crew went on with their preparation. Ken nodded to Jun, and together they walked over to Pepsi.

"Pepsi, are you okay?" Jun looked into Pepsi's eyes as she took Pepsi's hand in hers.

An embarrassed look crossed Pepsi's face as she nodded slightly.

"Pepsi, I know you might not want to discuss it right now, but we need to know what happened." Jun spoke to her gently and then paused.

Pepsi paled a bit but nodded again.

"So, what exactly what happened? And where is Yuki now? I understand that she came here in search of you."

Pepsi bit her lips and turned her head away as tears started to flow freely. "I'm so sorry, Jun." She said quietly, "I was so stupid. I have allowed him to fool me all along. Should have known that he was just using me all this time."

Jun turned and exchanged a look with Ken, "Pepsi, can you elaborate a little bit? I am afraid I don't quite catch your meaning."

Pepsi turned her head back and looked into Jun's eyes, "It was Scorpio. He told me he loved me and want me to help him to snatch Yuki. He said we would get double ransom from ISO of both eras. Also, Colonel Jackson would pay him handsomely for forcing Yuki's father to give up his Presidency at ISO. That plus the amount he would make from making Yuki cure a certain Mafia Warlord could support his quitting the Zodiac. After that we could live together happily ever after in one of those Carribean islands."

Jun exchanged a worried look with Ken again and then turned back to Pepsi, "So, he has got Yuki?"

Pepsi nodded in answer.

"How did you end up half way down the cliff?"

A severely pained expression crossed Pepsi's face, she quickly turned her head away. However she could not hide her sobs, as the shaking of her shoulders betrayed her emotions.

"Gosh!" Jun exclaimed in shock, "He didn't…."

Pepsi's heart-wrenching wail confirmed Jun's suspicion. She quietly patted Pepsi's shoulder trying to offer some comfort.

****************************************