Kagaku Ninja-Tai Gatchaman Fan Fiction ❯ The Timepiece ❯ Chapter 14 ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 14.

The Utoland Exchange Square is the tallest building in downtown Utoland, it sported an alarming 159 floors. The top three floors were the prestigious offices of Utoland Investment Inc. Nobody knew how this company had suddenly become so prosperous in the last ten years. Not that anybody cared anyway, all that most people cared was that it's stock had skyrocketed to unprecedented heights and almost everybody was making big money on it.

A tall slander figure leaned against the hard-wood paneled wall of Utoland Investment's CEO office on the top floor of the Utoland Exchange Square. The contrast of the casualness in which this figure was dressed formed a glaring contrast with the formality of the room's décor and the formality in which his companion choice of attire. For under the long black leather coat in which numerous weapons were hidden, he was wearing a plain white turtleneck and a worn-out pair of jeans. There was a hint of a smirk on the edge of a thin mouth set on a well-featured face that was otherwise void of emotion. His hair was worn in a crew-cut and he had scar running down the cleft on his left cheek so that one could not really tell whether it was a scar or just the cleft. A pair of sunglasses provided the final touch to his impenetrable stance.

Opposite him, behind the massive mahogany desk, seated the CEO of the Utoland Investment Inc. Cameron Brighton was a large man with a shiny baldhead. No matter how you looked at him, he looked every ounce of a regular successful businessman. Yet, hiding under his custom-tailored business suit and gold-plate spectacles, was much more sinister being than a regular businessman. For Cameron Brighton was the current warlord of crime, the head of the local Mafia group and the era's time bandits base.

Cameron Brighton glared at his companion, "What do you mean by offing two of my men without first consulting me?"

His companion shifted his head a bit to the side, looked at him from the top of his sunglasses and smirked, "I am just doing you a favour, Brighton. Those two are not only traitors, they are fools, a disgrace to your operation."

Brighton's nostrils flared, "You trying to run my operation for me? Let me remind you that you are just an operative from your era, Scorpio, or whatever you call yourself."

The smirk on Scorpio's face deepened, he pushed his sunglasses back up and sauntered over to Brighton's desk. Putting both his gloved hands on the desk and leaning forward towards Brighton, he hissed, "Top operative, Brighton. I am one of the two top operatives in our era. And you'd better remember that, in case you are thinking of doing anything stupid."

Brighton's lips curled slowly into a smirk as he leaned back onto his chair, "Sure, I will remember that. But Top Operative Scorpio, may I ask why the girl is still safely in the hands of ISO? You have been here for two weeks already, need I remind you?"

Scorpio narrowed his eyes and straightened up. He snarled back, "If not for those two fools of yours, I would have already have her served on a platter to you. And now the entire ISO is on alert and whenever she goes out, there will be a KNT member with her. Thanks to the effectiveness of your operation."

Brighton leaned back forward and snarled back as well, "Young man, let me again remind you to keep your comments on my operation to yourself. If you are scared of the ISO and KNT, just say so, I'd show you how effective MY operation is and get the girl ourselves."

The atmosphere hung heavily as the two men glared at one another across the desk. At length, Scorpio leaned back forward again as he hissed through gritted teeth, "Let me warn you again, keep your men at bay if you don't want to lose any more of them. And you might want to keep your own comments to yourself as well. For Scorpio DOES things his way and no other way. I would surely act when the timing is right but if I hear another word of denouncement from you, I might decide to off you as well. So, don't say that I have not warned you."

With that, Scorpio swung his long black coat back, spun around and stalked out of the room, leaving Brighton seething behind his own desk.