Karin Fan Fiction ❯ Chibi Vampire: the Selibri's Waltz, (Or: The Dream--The Reality.) ❯ Chapter 5

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 5
 
Mina sat in her private room in the castle—a room of which not even her grandfather was aware. The small lair was in the heart of her section of her castle, and it resembled all the things that rested in her own heart. The feel was Victorian, although the occupant of the room was far from Victorian in her own ways. She more reflected the “naughty” side of the era, where everyone hinted at certain things, but kept them cleverly hidden. Modesty did not matter much to her, as it really did not matter much to her own people, because what brought certain thrills in her world had nothing to do with outward appearances. Someone may look like he or she is 14 years old, but they may actually be 300 years old. This day, however, she wore a very modest black dress, her very long blonde hair done in two pony tails to each side of her head, tied in matching black ribbons. Her dress matched her mournful mood at that point, and matched the gloomy darkness that only her blood red eyes could cut through…well, her, and anyone else like her. There were some memories here and there, and one copy of every book she had ever read and enjoyed in her library there, but these were first prints. A book collector would drool for just five minutes in that room. Yet, one thing that marked the room was all the paintings and photographs in the room, and they were either of her and her mother, or Akira, the Earth Clan boy that had smitten her heart many years before. He was off training, and she knew it would be more than a year before they were reunited. Yet, for her, a year was as a day, and she sat in anticipation to the one that could bring some light to her gloomy world. However, the mournful thoughts were not of him, but of all she was planning, and whether or not it was worth it.
 
As she looked at a picture of her mother not months before the murderous houses of the nobility snuffed out her life, (although nothing could officially be pinned on anyone,) there came a knock. She did not stir from her elegant chair that befit the décor, knowing that there were only two beings on the face of the earth that had access to this spot, much less had knowledge of it. By the knock she said, “Please, enter; I could use your company Vera.”
Veratos was the most loyal vampire to Mina. She had been a human nearly two centuries before who had been befriended by Mina's mother. Vera returned the love she received as much as she could, but at the flower of her youth, she knew that this could not last forever. When Mina's mother became pregnant, she knew that there would not be much support from Vlad, and that Mina's father would be marked for death sooner or later in the many wars of her kind. Because she loved the two of them so much, she asked Mina's mother to turn her. Mina's mother was flattered, considering that her desire for being turned had nothing to do with greed or power. When Mina was finally left alone, and for all intents and purposes, was abandoned by her own grandfather for his own twisted schemes, Vera became her mother, friend, and as constant companion to the princess.
 
Vera entered, carrying a thermos that was specially sealed in such a fashion that it could detect how many times it had been opened and closed. Because of the way things were, Vera, the few loyal nobles, and the Earth Clan could take no chances. Vera herself was incredibly pretty, in that, even the charcoal ladies pant suit she wore did not take an ounce away from her femininity. Hers was a beauty that, if you tried to put make-up on it, it would only diminish it. Her long brunette hair was done in a bun, and it seemed to highlight her pale but nonetheless bright and cheerful face, complete with the big eyes, button nose that turned up just so, and the cute grin that seemed to cap off the effect and would make even the hardest man melt in her arms. She smiled at the sight, and then looked concerned realizing that this was not a fond remembrance her beloved charge was having at that moment. She slipped up to the chair from behind after she had set down the thermos and gave her a hug from behind. Mina closed her eyes and leaned her head on one of Vera's arms. She then said softly, “Vera, you are the only one that seems to understand me.”
“Come now, your highness,” Vera consoled, “You know that's not true.”
Mina then reached up her small hand and hooked her fingers into Vera's, who then gently squeezed them in return, and Mina said, “You understand me the best.”
Vera did not respond, letting that one rest, and then Mina said, “So have you heard from…”
“Shh,” said Vera, “Don't think about business right now. I don't think that's why you came in here.”
“Actually, it was partly the reason,” responded Mina, “I have no idea what grandfather's intentions are: form a group to get his reach back into America, and absorb what is there into the family, or to wipe them out as competition. I have to believe the latter. He's been playing with the Beowulfs like they were his toys, as a part of some clandestine operation, and then he intends to toss them aside when he is done with them.”
This was a concern, and Vera knew it. Her worry was that he had forgotten why they had come on board in the first place, and he did not realize that the protection of his throne that he worshipped so dearly would evaporate. If he kept up like this, the three noble houses would find his madness as an excuse to remove him from the throne, depose Mina as the rightful heir, (thinking her weak,) and set up their own tyranny…that is, after the civil war that would erupt between the remaining three houses as to who would be in charge. It was heavy on Mina, and Mina wanted to avoid more war if she could. In truth, they both knew, as Wolfgang did too, that, if what Mina intended did happen, it would cause a fight. However, they also knew that, if it worked, then it would throw the fight far into their favor. The main concern was the rogue factor in both America, and in Japan—the very nation within which the corporations she owned were starting to bolster the fallen economy there as a part of her future plans. Her dreams were similar to the leader of those of whom they could only call the living vampire, and she indeed did not see them as a threat. They only wiped out or merged with the 12 houses in the states because they didn't know about the bigger hand behind the scenes. Truth is, with the 12 out of the way, it would make it easier to control things in the states for their purposes, and this Clan did them a favor. However, they may not understand Mina's dreams, and they may foil the whole thing. Mina really didn't want to conquer the world, but just wanted peace for her people, and if she could yoke the strength of the Clan…
 
Vera rocked her a bit and said, “I think that, if you eat, you will be able to think clearer.”
Mina nodded and Vera went to prepare her “meal.” Vera looked over to the princess, who looked so much like her mother in that form when she was a child. Her cherubic-like face and kind smile would melt any heart. It was ironic how such an innocent saint-like face hid behind it a shrewd and ruthless woman when the need called for it. Her moods could swing on a dime, but those swings were never without a purpose. She was always in control. She even yoked as much of modern science for the sake of her kind so that they could keep up with the world at large. One key to success was to remove the fear from humans, and one major fear was the blood drinking. She had heard rumors that the Day Walker from Detroit had come up with some kind of injectable serum, and had also learned that the Thirst could be overcome. However, her spies were able to obtain some, and they realized it would not completely ever suffice. Yet, it gave her courage to see if they could not improve upon things, and they were able to come up with a substance called Stigma. It looked like, tasted like, and acted in them exactly like blood. By allowing this, it prevented the vampire to feed, and did not take from him or her that exquisite pleasure of drinking that the serum stole. For them, sex paled in comparison to this pleasure, and Mina was not about to take that from her people. However, by doing this, it would also remove the need to hunt humans, and take that threat away. If a human volunteered themselves, however, that would never be refused. Yet, if they did not want to become a vampire, (for that would be the end result,) her people also came up with a vaccine that, if given within 48 hours of the bite, that would prevent the turn. There were other things, but the bottom line was, she was doing what she could to prevent anymore fear and superstitions from spreading amongst the humans. What she intended would go far beyond the dreams of the Day Walker from New York.
 
Vera poured a goblet for her and resealed the thermos to maintain the temperature in case she wanted more. Vera watched her pleasure as she fed, and she said to Mina, “That was one of the best things you ever came up with.”
“Sadly, some would still not wish to cease hunting,” answered Mina, with a disappointed voice, “It's not the actual drinking from humans that drive them, or the thrill of the hunt. Some use it to continue to maintain fear. They believe that the only way to control is by fear.”
“Some just need to learn,” consoled Vera.
“They're idiots!” snapped Mina in return, her mood changing like lightning, and becoming more businesslike, “They need to come out of the past and realize that the world has shrunk too much for us to hide and rule by fear much longer. We must reveal our existence, but do it in such a fashion that, not only would they not go after us anyway, but that we would demonstrate we can control our own to where they would not pose a threat to society.”
“From what I understand, that Clan believed the same thing, but concluded that it could never work, because there is just too much different between us and humans.”
“They are making the mistake of thinking they could live amongst them. That is their major flaw. Even though they have protection in America, there is only so far that will go. There will come a time when even that can stay hidden. Worse, there is a group in Japan from what we understand and large enough that even that will not stay hidden. Things have to be done right with them or else all what I have planned is for naught.”
She finished the goblet and swung it in such a fashion to give an indication that she wanted more. Vera was a trusted friend, yet she was still a servant. Still, she didn't mind, and quickly fulfilled the princess' request. As she did, she picked up a manila envelope and said, “However, I do have some information on the leadership in New York you may find interesting.”
She set it on her lap an opened it. The first face to meet her was Karin's. “This is Karin Usui,” said Vera, “She is the proprietor and head chef in a restaurant contained in the building we believe to house the majority of this Clan.”
“Rather simplistic name for them, don't you think?” said Mina.
“I think the idea behind it had to do with the fact that they saw themselves in the sense of the true meaning of the world,” said Vera, “Because of how they are built, and hold a greater concept amongst them than anything else that had existed before them, they just called themselves the Clan.”
Mina rubbed her chin and then said, “If they only knew how things were.”
She then continued to read about Karin, and it was discovered that she had at one time been what they called the Fount of Psyche: a special vampire that was born whenever there was a drop in fertility in the living vampires. Her blood acted as a fertility drug, but there was a greater purpose that had gone asking for millennia. That had been realized, but she handed the mantle of the fount over to another and became a vampire herself. However, because of her past, her child would be of the predicted royalty. Underneath that was a picture of Kenta and Kannon. There was not much more known beyond that, but underneath that was a picture of Innocent and Hondo with Sophia. Her bio showed that she became the fount by some unknown means to Mina's spies, but that their daughter was a creature that would help bring unity between humans and vampires. They thus considered her their empress. Little more was known, however, they leaned that she did hold wisdom beyond her years, truly living up to her name. She then turned the page, and her eyes nearly fell out of her head.
 
She saw the picture of Jean-Claude, and she wondered what someone like him would do to some of her best warriors. In that picture, he was wearing a polo shirt marked with some kind of logo, sweat pants, a baseball cap and tennis shoes, with his arm around a Japanese woman, and walking beside two young teens she had to assume were their children by the looks of it. Vera said, “That seems to be the Clan's leader, or their top soldier at the very least. His name is Jean-Claude D'Amphile Makka, but his birth surname is Madore. There is more on him than on anyone, though there are gaps. He was the offspring of one of the living vampires and a human. His parents and grandfather were brutally murdered because of him being a Day Walker, and this is where we find the first gap. Apparently he lived, because he is there, but it is unknown what he did during the ages of 12 and 17 when he surfaced in Tokyo and attended high school there. His school records were extensive, but after he graduated, another gap appears, and we don't hear of him again until he arrives in Bangor, Maine to attend college. Right now, he is far beyond financially set, but he still contents himself with teaching physical education in one of the high schools in New York City.”
Mina looked at the woman and asked, “Who is she?”
“That is another Day Walker, but she never learned to use her abilities quite like he did,” answered Vera, “Yet, what is odd is that there is nothing known about her until they become man and wife. There is another thing that is odd. Day Walkers that come about in their kind are normally sterile, like when an ass mates with a horse. Yet, because of that Karin, and her blood, they were made fertile, and their children are also royalty because of it. They have a full pure blood son not pictured here named Franklin who has not yet awakened to what he is.”
“Awakened…what do you mean by that?”
“I can explain later, because we need more details about that. However, it is rumored that he is extremely powerful.”
“Hopefully, Romulus and Remus can get us more information.”
She turned to the next picture, and it was of Anjou. She looked to be in her mid-20s, but she had a childlike face. They found a few of her in there of when she was a child, and Vera said, “She looked so much like you do now.”
“She looks too sad,” she said, “I wonder why?”
“That's anyone's guess,” answered Vera, “She seems to be doing well. She is married but with no children. She graduated the University of Maine with a Masters in musicology, and now works with the New York Philharmonic. However, not much else is known about her. All we have of her is some scant records of her time in elementary school that were not destroyed. It seems no one remembers her from that time, and whoever was trying to conceal her existence at that time must have missed what we were able to find.”
“I wonder why she disappeared?” pondered Mina, “Did something bad happen to her?”
“Actually, it coincides with what we have found about the living vampires,” responded Vera, “It is not too dissimilar to what happened to you.”
Mina looked at her and remembered what she had been like as a child, and the time when everything changed. When she was born, for all intents and purposes, she was a human. However, when she was 12 years old, slowly but surely, she took on the traits of the vampire and awakened as such. However, she had maintained that body ever since when she learned of the sinister way that the nobles wanted to treat her. If they ever knew that her true form was one that could bear children, they could pressure Vlad to marry her off to one of the three households. That would lead to a war, and the survivor would get her, and then eventual control of the throne. She could not allow this. She looked at Anjou and realized that she seemed to vanish from public view at about the same age by the scant records they found. For some reason, Anjou looked like someone with whom she could find a kindred spirit.
 
She then turned to the last profile, and she shuddered by both the picture, and the names by which she went. Vera said, “Is there something wrong?”
“So, the Red Devil is still alive?” asked Mina in return, as if she had not heard Vera. She looked at Vera and said, “If you please, one more goblet?”
“Well, you must be very hungry today!” smiled Vera in surprise.
“My mind is stimulated and my heart is racing over this whole thing,” responded Mina, “I need the energy.”
As the goblet was being filled with the last of the Stigma, she looked it over, saying, “Still elusive over all these centuries, are you?”
Vera brought over the goblet and asked, “Just who is that?”
“This is Chiyuki Tanaka,” said Mina, “Otherwise known as the Red Devil. She is even older than grandfather, and quite powerful. Not much else is known.”
“What does the spy report say?”
“She wed Karin and Anjou's brother, and had a child. She thus must have had whatever causes them to be able to make a vampire a pure blood given to her. She is member of the Clan, but acts alone. Alone…that's odd.”
Mina leaned back in her chair, swirling the red liquid around in the glass goblet, her face statuesque as she pondered the situation. Vera then asked, “What is odd, your highness?”
“She is not normally alone, from what I understand,” Mina responded, “There is also one with her named Ai—the White Devil.”
“Actually, we found out something about that that must not have been put in there.”
Mina turned her head slightly and gave Vera a curious look out of the corner of her eye. Vera then said, “Out on an island off of Long Island New York, we traced a reference to a grave, and found that someone named Ai, with a birth date somewhere after 1000 AD. It appears that she died in combat when a foe got in a lucky shot and took her out.”
Mina went back to her stone face, and then said, “Was there anything mentioned about a Ryuu?”
“Nothing, your highness.”
“That can't be. If she is the actual Red Devil, then Ryuu can't be too far behind. If that is the case, then he may be someone we can get to help. He has helped me before, though no one knows about it.”
“Is he powerful?”
Mina grinned and got a sly look in her eye, saying, “He's the granddaddy of them all! Not even grandfather could defeat him!”
She leaned back in the chair and drank contentedly. She held the goblet up in the scant light as if she was assessing a fine glass of wine, took another swig with great refreshment, and then reached over to a gramophone on the table next to her, set down the needle, and took off the turntable stay. Caruso singing Handel's Largo came through the horn as Mina lost herself in the music, seemingly in ecstasy. “I always wondered why you like using that. Certainly a modern stereo…”
Mina dismissed her statement with the wave of a hand and said, “There is no way that even our best technology could play this to where it would sound right. This disc is designed for this machine, and it is the only way to hear his voice right. Even then, there is no way anyone could truly appreciate this man's voice.”
“Ah, yes!” said Vera pondering, “I remember the night we went with your mother to see him perform in I Pagliacci.
She leaned back and listened to him sing, but hearing Recitar from that night, and wondering if she was putting on the clown suit and the brave face when in fact she wanted to weep. She looked back at the file again and said, “We must win them to our side. It is certain that, if they are tenacious enough, they will put a stop to grandfather's schemes, but it may also bring us problems, and a collapse to the world of the night as we know it. We must channel that strenght the right way for our sakes...and even for theirs.”
She set down the goblet and hopped up, saying, “Let us go over the school records and see how that private school is doing. It will be nice to have a place where humans and vampires can interact in harmony.”
With her old mood forgotten and her confidence returned, she went to attend to business, and there was much to be done.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
5