Karin Fan Fiction ❯ Chibi Vampire: the Selibri's Waltz, (Or: The Dream--The Reality.) ❯ Chapter 30

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 30
 
Three days had passed, and not only did as many important vampires arrive, but the entirety of the Clan as well. Many vampires not in the know were disturbed that there were humans amongst them, but once the Queen both stated that they were her personal guests, and that they were off limits to anyone, they backed off. The only ones that seemed to have any major agitation were the rulers of the three noble houses in Eurasia, not liking the fact that there was now more royalty with which to compete. All the ladies were in ball gowns, while the men were in tuxedos. Jean-Claude, however, was wearing the uniform normally reserved for the Beowulf, which was a gray, high collar, side button jacket with thick black leather belt, gray knickers, black calf boots, white gloves, a white lace ascot, and steel shoulder plates, one of which was covered by a red side cloak. All of it was marked with a red trim, and he had his trusty saber at his side. There were six chairs with carrying poles, and it was to be that the new nobles were to be carried in by order of rank: the Queen, Sophia—empress of the living vampires, Sheila, Mickey, Kannon, and Keelin. The families of them were to walk behind. The girls were wearing silver sequined straight robes with tiaras marking their royalty, while Mickey wore a silver sequined version of the outfit Jean-Claude wore, and a brass band around his forehead, with a hole left for the third eye should he need to open it. Chiyuki was wearing a strapless combination bodice and red gown, her hair styled to its finest. The curator for the event started to clap their hands, saying, “Places everyone!”
Ren picked up Keelin and sat her in the chair and said, “Wow! Look at my little girl!” as four Beowulf took their positions on the chair poles. Karin was taking a position on Kannon's chair, as Jean-Claude had the privilege to carry the soon to be crowned queen. Ren said, “How's my brave girl?”
Keelin blushed and whispered to him, “S-Scared.”
He smiled at her and said, “You're going to be okay. Mommy and I will be right behind you.”
Romulus, (on her right,) said, “Fear not, grand duchess, for you are in safe and strong hands with us. Just go out and enjoy this, because all this is for you! Just smile and be yourself.”
Chiyuki nodded, blushing and glancing around slightly. Wolfgang then said, “Beowulf, ready...lift!”
With that, the six chairs were lifted from the ground and the poles were now on the shoulders of the men, (and Karin,) carrying them. Keelin blinking in surprised at suddenly being lifted, but otherwise, tried not to move around too much. They would enter in reverse order—from lowest in rank to highest. Since Keelin was the newest, she would be first. The sound of rolling drums could be heard, as Anjou conducted the overture of Music for the Royal Fireworks. The men took slow and deliberate steps, pointing their legs at a 45 degree angle with each step called the Queen Anne step. Keelin blinked in confusion but stayed still till she was told to move. The herald announced, “Now entering: the sovereign princess, her grace, the lovely Grand Duchess Keelin Makka.”
Everyone now looked to see her being marched in, as the herald announced, “Now entering, the noble princess, the lovely Grand Duchess Kannon Usui.”
The witnesses were muttering in hushed tones, making mention of how good they looked, and how natural the seemed in those positions. There were stories about how they put their lives on the line for the new queen and her people, and they commented on how brave a little girl she must be. The procession went on as they entered the grand hall deep within the hillside. It was a huge dome, with people sitting in the balconies, and the VIPs sitting on the marbled chess patterned floor, with a long red carpet to the throne platform. It was cavernous, but beautiful, making the music that much more regal. As each one was announced there was applause as the people stood to greet their entrance. Keelin only blushed slightly and stayed still, glancing over her shoulder to watch Kannon and the rest of them walking in and look for her Mother and Father, to try to pinpoint them in the crowd. There were a few chuckles and a “that's so cute!” look on some of the ladies faces as she did this. Kannon was beaming as Karin was on her right hand. Her mother and father were now making their way to specially designated seats near the coronation area and their thrones. The only people there NOT seeming to like the affair were heads of the three noble clans, who watched them with a sense of disgust: a scruffy haired and bearded Russian, a handsome German with an eye patch, and a weird looking Chinese fellow who kept half of his face covered with a fan. However, her father was beaming and smiled as he looked at her with the rest of the Marker family—including Elda, who just could not pass this up, and Elga, not one for such formal affairs, but happy to see her aunt after all these years. Finally, as Keelin was halfway down the carpet, it was announced, “Now entering: her royal highness and rightful heir to the throne, the resplendent Mina Tepes.”
Everyone in the room that was standing now took a knee; save for the three nobles who did not at first, but then reluctantly did so. Ryuu, before all the bowing had been watching the people who were seemingly not the happiest campers in the room, and wanting to try to figure out why, so he had been inquiring about the nasty look they had on their face. One leaned into him and whispered, “They don't like her posturing, especially with all of our hope riding in those chairs. In truth, they all want to control the show, and they think that, if they get her to wife, they control it all, and can wipe out the other two. They still want to keep to ancient ways and believe that the ancient pact that the bloodline of the pure bloods can only be preserved through them. Looking at those kids...well...I just can't believe that anymore. What they truly fear is becoming relics and forgotten. Humph! Are they going to be in for a surprise!”
“Hmm...” Ryuu said, thoughtfully.
The noble from Germany, Lord Rozenmann, (distinguished by the eye patch,) spotted Ryuu nearby, and was shaken when he had learned his former name. He gave him a sideward glance out of the corner of his good eye, and then snapped his head back around to the advancing chairs. Ryuu raised an eyebrow, and grinned a Chiyuki style grin from ear to ear. Then he started openly staring at Lord Rozenmann, trying to make him squirm in his seat. Rozenmann looked ready to say something, but the chairs had just arrived at the foot of the stairs up to the throne. Quickly, Nelly came up to help Keelin with her train so she could walk with ease as did the other servants. Ryuu rolled his eyes and watched Keelin carefully, watched as she took her place and walked, and even though she was embarrassed by the attention, she seemed the have some sort of built in grace that made her walk like something out of a book. Nelly, (the shy and bubbly one,) said, “Your Grace, you walk so beautifully! You could be a ballerina!”
Keelin blushed, at her complement, and at the way she addressed her. “U-Um...Thank you?” she responded back.
Nelly said timidly as she spread her train on the throne so she could sit comfortably, “You seem as scared as I do!”
“Yeah,” Keelin said, sitting down, “I'm not comfortable with being in the attention like this, not after I spent so long trying to stay away from attention.”
“You have nothing to fear now,” said Nelly, all happy, “They all love you! Here, we all accept you for who you are, as you are. Remember: my name is Nelly, and I will always be there to take care of whatever you and your family needs!”
Keelin nodded, and glanced over at Ryuu, who blinked and stared at her, then smiled softly.
 
Once the new queen sat, a drum roll was played and continued as the trumpets sounded and a fanfare blared. The new queen had her tiara, but it was removed and a pillow was brought up with a proper crown. One Beowulf took it off and held it over her head as the herald announced, “Princess Mina Tepes, rightful heir to the throne of the Night, is now our only rightful liege lady, queen, and defender of the night, Queen Mina the First!”
The brass then began to sound triumphant tunes in minor keys as the crown was slowly placed on her head, and a scepter in her arm, and Anjou was now on the pipe organ playing some soaring and triumphal chords as the room thundered with cheers, except for the three nobles. Anjou then started to play as everyone broke into “God Save the Queen.”
Ryuu pulled something that seemed to be a small triangular shaped, folded piece of paper and flicked it at one of the nobles. Then he went back to singing and appearing innocent. Ivanovic, (the Russian noble,) reacted at the hit, caught the paper, and looked for what suicidal idiot would have done that as he glanced at what had hit him. It was just a folded piece of paper in a triangular shape. Mina extended her scepter and bade everyone sit, and they did so. She then spoke, “A new paradigm is filling the world. As we know, this world is shrinking faster and faster. It is becoming harder and harder to maintain the status quo. I had wanted to see a world where we can live in peace, and make the humans understand that we pose them no threat—no will to conquer the world.”
Rozenmann then muttered to himself, “You more think you can rule without us, silly girl.”
She continued, “I had ideas of how it was to be done, but there was one brave one—one who you, at one time, would have cast out of your midst as a mistake or an abomination. Despite the hatred toward him, he chose to turn it into love and a lust for justice. Because of that, and because of what he is, he was able to reach out to the world of the day in ways that we could have only dreamed about. He had a dream, and that dream caused peace and justice to fall, not only in the world of the day, but in the night as well.”
A light now fell on Jean-Claude—something he did not expect—and she said, “He wears the uniform of the knight, and one that, until now, only the Beowulf have had the privilege to wear. Because of his endless service, he has earned the right to wear it. Because of him, there are now humans amongst you that do not look down upon you as monsters, but see you as equals and friends. I have come to learn that he has a motto that should be learned and adhered to by all: Fear is ignorance in a state of panic. He removed the fear in them by removing their ignorance. He has given us a formula that we can all learn from and be built upon. He lost his family to the power hungry and greedy, but the powers that be decreed that he would gain a new one. The one with the humans became his first family. This family—this Clan—has set the standard for all of us. He also saw fit to bless him with a physical family when there was no way that he should have been able to have one. Two of them sit here with me.”
The lights spread more to illuminate the kids, and she said, “Will the families of these children please stand.”
Lord Ivanovic began to grind his teeth, saying, “What a power play! She flaunts them like she can just change how things have been done for centuries. Does she really think she can continue the bloodline through those three-eyed freaks?”
She then said, “These are the ones who shall continue on if something should happen to the line. First, Grand Duchess Keelin the Compassionate, mistress of the Selibri, and deliveress of lost undead. Then, Grand Duchess Kannon the Jovial: mistress of the fangless and their lady high protector. Then, Grand Duke Michael the Just: lord high protector of the wronged and their avenger of blood; then, Grand Duchess Sheila the Giving, mistress the needs of all the orphans and widows of our realm. Finally, she is the ruler of the living vampires, Empress Sophia the First—Sophia the Wise. Further, her authority runs second only to my own, and to defy her is to defy me, and only I can override her.”
There was much in the way of whispering and muttering amongst those that had not heard of her, but the Clan was filling them in, and applause started slowly, and then picked up to a cacophonous ovation. However, three did not stand at first, but then were up like a shot, and then standing on the carpet before the platform, saying, “YOU DARE USURP US!”
Before they could blink, they all found a saber pointed at them from this previously announced knight, and he thundered, “STAND DOWN! YOU ARE OUT OF ORDER!”
Suddenly, two was pointed at them, one from Ryuu as well, “This is a very pretty ceremony; I'd like to see the end of it if you please.”
To prove his point, the sword point was pressed closer, “And if you dare threaten any of the royalty ever again, you'll be dead before you can take your next breath.”
The gasps and sounds of shock in the hall were widespread, everyone muttering and pointing fingers. No one ever knew that a dhampir could move like that, nor did they ever expect...him...to show up. Kannon looked scared, but the twins sat there with a determined look, well knowing that of which their father was capable. Sophia just sat there with a knowing look, while Mina looked over the two at the three with a big grin and a furrowed brow. “Gentlemen,” she said, “You have something to say?”
They just stood there silent, but Lord Li just giggled and brought down his fan revealing an overly wide mouth and a smile filled with pointed teeth. He then said, “This round is yours, but the war isn't over...wife-to-be!”
Jean-Claude couldn't help himself and said, “Man, you're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece!”
“We don't have to tolerate this!” muttered Lord Ivanovic, to which Jean-Claude said, “I don't think you have a choice. How tall are you?”
He didn't have any idea why he asked, and muttered confused, “Um...1.8 meters.”
“Oh really?” answered Jean-Claude, “I did not know they could stack manure that high!”
He started to become enraged, but Jean-Claude's saber joined Ryuu's blade, and he said, “Gentlemen—and I do use that term loosely—either sit down, behave yourselves, and enjoy the show, or leave.”
They started to storm out as Rozenmann said, “You will be hearing from us!”
“Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya,” said Jean-Claude defiantly as he tapped Ryuu's blade and then sheathed his own. He turned about bowing and said, “My apologies, your majesty. Please continue.”
Ryuu sheathed his blade as nodded at Jean-Claude in acknowledgement, and glanced up at Mina, the look he gave her said more than his words ever could. That he would protect her, and anything she stood for. Though it was all elaborately for Keelin's sake, he'd still protect them all. “And now, I, as ruler of half the world, (referring to the world of the night,) declare this a national holiday, and a day of amnesty. Everyone gets a clean slate!”
Thunderous and deafening cheers peeled throughout the hall, and she then said, “Now, go celebrate—all of you—and join us for the grand feast!”
More applause hit, as Nelly came up to Keelin and said, “And now, your grace, we shall take you in the chair to the banquet and your seat of honor. Please stand and we shall seat you again in your gondola.”
The other royalty was taking their places, with Mina at the head this time. Keelin nodded and stood like she was told, glancing at Ryuu and smiling at him.
 
Everyone took their places as they were carried out to Purcell's Trumpet Tune and Aire—a lighter tune, and a tune that marked a win for their kind. At this, the families were allowed to walk alongside the chairs. Yuriya walked alongside the twins, gushing over them, while Kenta and Fumio were by Kannon, who could not resist bending over and planting several kisses on daddy, partly because she loved him, and partly because Karin was too busy holding the chair to stop her. Hondo and Innocent were radiant as they walked by their daughter. She regally smiled and took their hands as they walked. As they did, a ten year-old black haired, semi-Asian boy waved frantically at Mina who got a whole lot of little girl in her at that moment, waved at him, and then smiled as she chewed on her forefinger. Chiyuki was walking along side Keelin, smiling proudly, but with a lost, almost sad look on her face. Keelin blinked and glanced over at her, and went wide-eyed at her sudden, perfect understanding of her. “Okaa-san…you don't have to worry about me, not like you are now. Something changed today. It was for the better, all of us can live happily now,” she said, smiling brightly at her Mom.
Chiyuki glanced away and bit back her lip to keep from crying.
 
As they headed to the banquet hall, the end of the ceremony seemed to mark the end of an era. It was an end of fear, at least fear of one kind. It also seemed to mark and entry into the unknown, not quite knowing what the future held. However, not knowing the future was actually an improvement, because, the way it was before, it seemed that all was just waiting for the inevitable. Now, the unknown, though it could end badly, also had the mark of hope for the first time, and that was better than what they had. The Dream had become the Reality. As they sat to dine, Karin took a moment to look at Mina and said to her, “Welcome to the family.”
 
The End.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
4