Karin Fan Fiction ❯ Karin's Wedding ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3
 
As they were preparing to go, they began to chew on things they had discussed between themselves, not certain how things were going to go. Chiyuki scratched the back of her head, saying as she shrugged, “Interesting...voodoo; and when I thought humans couldn't get any crazier.”
“As I always say, it's not good to mess around in God's country. I think you understand the connotation—going to places even angels fear to tread!” said Jean-Claude, “Regardless, there is something, for the lack of a better term, satanic about the whole thing. The band will be playing tomorrow night. I'll see if mama can watch her grandkids while we do our thing here. Let's see what he has to say. It may be nothing, and what he did was just a demonstration of just what he is capable. They may even know some vampires in Haiti, and in New Orleans, because their practices are somewhat frowned upon in human society, and vampires find a safe house with them. We must watch our step.”
“Well he didn't seem to fear me, so either he does know me, he is a complete idiot, or is hiding some really great power,” Chiyuki said, thoughtfully.
“That's what I want to find out,” said Jean-Claude, “It may be nothing, it may be everything. However, what he does have is somewhat from beyond, so do not underestimate what he or his friends can do. Let's find out what the joker wants before we jump to conclusions.”
“I didn't fear most anything before and with Ai here, I don't fear anything,” said Chiyuki.
Ai giggled, saying, “Heh, heh; she is trying to sound cool while saying she is weak without me!” poking Chiyuki's forehead.
“Well then, I'll see you all tomorrow night,” said Jean-Claude, “and I would suggest you brush up on voodoo lore, because it is going to come in handy. I just hope the missus doesn't have a rolling pin for me—this was kind of short notice! The twins are waiting. By the way, I've asked around, and no one seems to know if there is a way to tell what they are at this stage of the game. It sure would help to know now so we can ready them for whatever comes.”
“They seemed human to me, though he was able to tell instantly I was undead,” Chiyuki said.
“I think their ability to tell was more based off experience,” he said, “Besides; I think they would be the last ones I'd ask anyway. If they are talking about certain balances being upset, then knowledge of the twins to them just might drive them into action without any discussion. Well, see you tomorrow.”
With that, he headed back, but Anjou stayed, eyeing the new one. She still affected that innocent look, and similar dress, although she was well into her teens now. She had never been naive, and she had always been mature, but now she was a bit savvier. Ai seemed to know she was being watched by Anjou, "That is seriously kind of creepy," she whispered to herself. She then smiled and said, “I'll be taking my leave, see you later.”
Then in a flash of bluish white, she was gone. Chiyuki sighed, saying, “Just like Ai-chan,” and then started on her way home, taking her time.
As they broke up, Karin said, “You have to drop that `Wednesday Addams' thing, honey—you really shake people up like that!”
“It gets them to tell on themselves,” Anjou responded.
She then looked at Karin and Kenta, saying, “I'm worried about the twins, and what Big Brother said.”
“You really do love them, don't you,” said Karin, as she held Anjou tight to her.
After all he did for us—for me—I would give my life for them!” Anjou asserted.
“I hope it never comes to that, sis,” she said, “Besides, I think Francois would have something to say about that!”
Anjou grinned, knowing how close to marriage she now sat. She then said, “It is odd sister: you and I are either being married, or close to it, before Ren.”
Kenta smiled, and said, “I wouldn't worry—I think he is going to have his hands full, and soon!"
Chiyuki smiled knowingly, she was still close enough to hear the conversation, and she dashed to home, and sat on the roof of the main house, as she had many nights before and stared at the stars, thinking over all that had happened. She was alone as usual, humming quietly to herself Falling Inside the Black by Skillet. It was a song that spoke of one person's desperate plea for the singer's lover not to leave, because if that happened, that person's life would have no meaning or worth. It would be like falling into a dark, black hole inside one's self. The singer had given everything that was dear for the other, and now that other was leaving. With all that was worth living sacrificed for love, and now with that love gone, there would be nothing left, and nothing to which to go back. She chewed on the words, and how it pertained to her situation, and wondered if it could ever be the same again. She mused about Ren, but figured that it would be something that would not—could not—happen. It was hard to be amidst a group of friends, and yet to feel so alone. This is why she felt a kinship to Anjou, because she had once experienced this, and wondered how such a child could have survived this without going mad, or worse.
 
The next night, many of the Clan was there, including the Bats. By this point, they had dropped the bat wing shirts, and opted for more of a bat wing type of cloak that they could put on or take off at their discretion. Gone too was the white jersey for Jean-Claude, and just opted for the Marine Corps, dress blue top that he wore underneath his trench coat when he fought. They were all over the set, opening with a Beatles tune: I Saw Her Standing There, and continued with a few McCartney tunes. Ren also showed up, considering the situation. He had heard about human practitioners of the black arts, although voodoo wasn't normally considered a black art, depending on whom you talked to, and who wielded it. He wanted to meet this man himself and find out the deal. As the band was finishing their first set, he walked in. He was tall, slender, but wiry, African descent, with a light beard, top hat, and bone necklace, white peasant shirt underneath a brown trench coat, black knickers, and black riding boots. He also had an unlit cigar in his mouth, and when he sat, he lit three or four candles and set them before him in an arc. He then ordered a drink, and patiently waited. Chiyuki was dressed in her full battle outfit, red kimono shirt and the red shorts with her hair pulled back, she was following Jean-Claude quietly, like a shadow, except it was a bright red shadow. Jean-Claude took a seat directly opposite the stranger, with his wife by his side, Karin, Kenta, Ren, Anjou, Maki, Wiener, and the Devil Sisters. Such a crew having such an interest so focused on one man would intimidate most. However, he took it in stride, and actually smiled a warm, friendly smile. Knowing his background, Jean-Claude said, “Bon soir, monsieur! Comment t'allez-vous?” which was asking the man's well being in French. “Très bien, mon ami,” he answered, “Et tu ?”
"C'est dependent sur votre intentions,” said Jean-Claude, (being translated, “That depends you your intentions!”
He continued in French, hoping that Jean-Claude could translate for him, as his Japanese was decent, but limited, and he wanted to be able to talk fully and freely without being misunderstood. Somehow, he seemed to trust that Jean-Claude would translate things correctly. “I want you to know that I wish no harm to anyone, depending on how things go from here. It all depends on what actions you take with your futures. We are talking major disturbances if things continue.”
“And what do you mean `major disturbances' our clan,” Chiyuki said, making a gesture at everyone, “None have done nothing to earn mistrust of any kind, except from the ones who intend us harm.”
“Ah, you see,” he said, still with the smile on his face, “You are so used to the supernatural; it is easy to take sensing things for granted. Therefore, if you are at the center of the disturbance, it is harder to detect any change. However, for us, on the outside, who keep their fingers on such things; can feel the ripples when things are not right. I know no one meant any harm, but I think actions have been taken by your friends that could shake things up to make it harder to operate.”
“You mean harder to maintain your grip on the people of your land,” said Jean-Claude.
The man sighed, and said, “You so misunderstand our religion. We papas are not the only ones affected by disturbances around the spiritual papas, because everyone relies on things remaining stable. I am concerned about all who have their hands in this realm to one extent or another. Nature sets things in a certain order, elder one, and if you shift that balance too much, it is not just we who suffer, but all who operate like this, including the people reliant on our work. That happened once before, about 20 years ago. Fortunately, things corrected themselves. However, about three years ago, another change took place, and it still causing ripples. Then, we come to find out that, in Japan, there are humans becoming vampires, and that has been shaking things up more. If things continue this way, you could disrupt things so much that we may not be able to channel the beyond realm properly to protect people, and help them. It surprises me that you have not heard anything from the Shinto shrines. All we ask is that things stop where they are, and go no further. Things will correct themselves in time. This association here is part of the problem. Things just have to be restored. I know you understand.”
The last statement was made with a concerned, sympathetic, and almost pleading look on his face. He then said, “Papa Mimoun here does not want to see anyone hurt. I am a spiritual advisor as well as a papa, so you must understand that what I say is out of concern for all of you, and care for your well being.”
Ren had a look on his face that was not so sympathetic. Four years ago, he might have agreed with this man. However, after seeing how being divided hurt things, he knew that all that was happening was for the best. He did not trust the man. “BAKKA!” Chiyuki spat. She then asked, being very spiteful and angry with this man, “This is for the better; humans are finally excepting the supernatural, would you rather they went back to burning your people and killing ours for no reason?”
Papa Mimoun calmly waived his hand for things to settle down, and still did not get angry or waiver. He said, “I guess you have no knowledge of our history. In Haiti, those kinds of witch-hunts did not happen. After our ancestors overthrew our masters, we were able to practice our voodoo religion unhindered. The people did not burn us--they loved us. If more humans...”
“...became voodoo like you?" said Karin, finishing the thought.
“...or whatever flavor of this you prefer,” he added, “then there would be no fear of having your kind killed, because even the humans would come to appreciate your place in the natural order of things. It is those that live in fear of that realm that cause the destruction.”
“Look,” said Jean-Claude, “I understand that people need to be educated, but that does not mean having to tread in God's country where they do not belong.”
“You are one to talk, wearing that fish on your neck!” he said, smiling.
“That's different,” he said, “We ask for intervention, and do not try to manipulate the supernatural. That is too much for humans anyway.”
“So, you think we manipulate people?” he asked.
“What else can I think?” said Jean-Claude.
“Come now,” said Mimoun, “All I offer is an olive branch: just stop things where they are, and all will be well! Leave nature where it is.”
Anjou listened, and knew that this man was indeed full of it. She may have been young, but she was far from naive. She then said, “Then you papas need to practice what you preach,” in perfect French! Mimoun stiffened at this, realizing that she was about to make matters worse. She then continued, “If you believe in leaving things as they are, then your people should stop taking money to put curses on others. Give up your dolls, stop making zombie slaves of people, and kill your lust for power. Do this and we will cease. Do it not, and any attempts by you to stop this will be met with your doom.”
Mimoun could not answer this. Instead, he turned to the three humans at the table, and tried to reason again. He said, “Certainly, you understand...”
“That's what I would like to know,” said Kenta, “because something just does not jive with me...I believe that's how you say it, Jean-Claude?”
“We certainly do,” he answered.
“Why would you come over at least 7,000 miles to tell us this, unless you had some ulterior motive?” Kenta asked.
Wiener then chimed in, and said, in his most noble way, “Feeing anger! Feeling rage! You endanger my friends, and you will have to feel the wrath of Wiener Sinclair: fearless renegade vampire hunter! I shall not rest until...”
At this, Maki reached up a hand towards his ear, and he knew he was overdoing it, and then said, “...um...you get the point!” and sat down.
Now Papa Mimoun was stern and angry, saying, “I came here to offer peace...”
“...and I'm ready to send you out in pieces!” finished Ren, as he looked over at Chiyuki and Ai.
Chiyuki blushed, and then added her own bit to the conversation, “He is worried, that the supernatural posses more power then they can happily control, so they are trying to fill us with manure and see if we believe it.” Chiyuki said, folding her arms over her chest. Ai nodded in agreement, saying as she glared out, “I have never had a good experience with voodoo; they all tried to kill me, saying I was undead and disturbing the natural order of things.”
“In other words, the stronger we get, the weaker they get,” said Karin.
“Exactly!” Ai exclaimed.
Papa Mimoun began to shift his gaze one way and then another, not certain where things were going. He knew that, if he needed to, he could get out of there easily if he wanted to, but he did not want to put on too much of a show. However, he looked right at Anjou, and said, “Certain young ones need to be seen and not heard!” very low and seriously.
“But she surely doesn't act as young as you imply, it seems to me you are nervous Papa Mimoun,” Chiyuki said, smiling smugly at him.
Kenta, now feeling the frustration, said, “Nothing is going to stop me from seeing my dream come true! I was fortunate to get an engineering degree in three years, and now I can provide a good home for Karin and our children. I would be damned to Hell if you are going to stand in the way!”
Mimoun's eyes went wide, saying, “You cannot do this! I cannot let that happen!”
“We can do whatever the hell we want, we are vampires, and you fear us!” Chiyuki said, “And you should fear me! I am surprised you did not recognize me or Ai-chan.”
“I don't think we have crossed paths,” he said, frankly.
She chuckled and said, “I guess being separated from the semi-modern world has also messed with the news! We killed a bunch of Elders in our younger days,” as she gave a knowing look to Ai.
“Ah, yes!” he said, a smile returning to his face, “The story of the Red and White Witches, or Devils, (depending on who you talk to,) has come down through time. Oddly enough, there was a disturbance at that time; however, the killing of those elders did dampen the ripples, so nothing was said. We wrote it off as nature culling your kind for the right purposes.”
A serious look returned to his face, and he then said, “However, what you are doing here is a far different matter. What you are doing is not meant to be...”
Like a shot, Jean-Claude was leaning across the table, is hand having snuffed, and then squashed, the candle before Mimoun, glaring at him, “THAT ATTITUDE IS PRECISELY WHAT COST THE LIFE OF MY PARENTS! I WOULD RATHER DIE A THOUSAND DEATHS THAN TO SEE SUCH SLAUGHTER AGAIN!”
Everyone looked shocked as this happened, but Mimoun squinted his eyes, (aggravated that one of the candles representing a protecting papa had been so rudely destroyed,) muttered something unintelligible, and ran his fingers before his eyes. He then looked in surprise, and said, “You were the disruption 20 years ago! Why are you not dead? The balance had been restored. How are you still upright?”
Chiyuki laughed full heartedly, and said sarcastically, “Sometimes the phrase, manure rolls downhill picking up stuff along the way comes into play, and things happen that shouldn't. And, by the way, I'm going to disrupt your life Chi or whatever you call it if you don't leave this clan alone; which is short means that I will kill you—candle or no candle!”
“Then you will leave us with very little choice,” he said, “Thus, you have declared war! Try to wed, or to make more vampires, and people are going to be hurt!”
Ren was already moving, but before he could act, Mimoun threw down a small sack, about the size of a golf ball, and there was a bright, magnesium type of flash that one would see in the old camera flash bulbs. It filled that corner of the room, and before anyone could clear their eyes enough to see, he was gone. The club sat silent for a good two minutes, and no one knew what to think. However, Jean-Claude began to get the glow in his eye, Ren's claws were out, and Kenta was filled with rage. “They get anywhere near you, Karin, and they will find out just how powerful you have made me!”
“What do you think grandmamma would know about this?” asked Anjou, still rubbing her eyes.
“We'll have to ask her,” said Ren, “Hopefully, she's awake.”
“How will we know?” asked Karin.
Jean-Claude laughed a bit, and said, “When we pick up the twins, just see how they react when they see me and Yuriya. That will tell you all you need to know!”
“That might just be the first time you are happy your grandmother is awake,” Chiyuki said, laughing at Ren.
“Black magic is just illusions and beliefs, nothing more, and while they may have some super natural gift, disappearing into a fog is not considered magical, not by me anyway,” Ai added. (She and Chiyuki always seemed to talk as a whole, as if Ai completed the sentences that Chiyuki started to say and always knew what she was going to say.)
“Yes,” said Ren, “The twins attract her attention a bit now, so I'm off the hook. She has changed so much, and I do think that the twins have swayed her a bit.”
He then looked at Ai, getting that certain grin on his face towards her, and saying, “And what you said about his so-called magic is correct. The only reason why they are able to wield power is that people believe that they can, and no more. However, I would be careful about the `zombie' thing. They do have a drug that they can slip to people that it would make them appear as dead. They then go back and dig them up, revive them, and then they give them a drug that keeps them docile and able to be manipulated. That is about the only real danger that we face from them.”
Wiener then chimed in and said, “Yes, but their ability to use such tricks and illusions can work to their benefit as you just saw. If they work en masse, they could be trouble.”
Jean-Claude, still sitting there with steam pouring out of his ears, said, “It all depends on how many we speak of, because, they would be no problem to stop. Yet, if they did zombie out a bunch of loved ones, and turned them against us, how could we strike back?”
“For every drug there is a cure, and I dealt with this kinda thing with my very short trip into Haiti. Ever heard of atropa belladonna?” She asked.
“That's a new one on me,” said Jean-Claude, “Does it have to do with what Wiener mentioned?”
“Huh?” Ai said, not quite understanding what he meant.
“Well,” he said, “Is that a component of what he was talking about—the zombie process, I mean? Does it keep them down, make them look dead, or is it the cure for the zombie thing?”
“It cures them—in small amounts,” she said, with a flick of her wrist, “Too much and it will kill them. Atropa Belladonna is Deadly Nightshade, you might recognize it.”
Wiener then pumped his head up and down, recognizing the herb, and said, “Grandfather spoke of these things. He taught me all about this in case I had to tangle with more than just vampires. If one had to live off the land for a bit, those kinds of things come in handy. Ironic that something with that name cures a state which myth says is an undead state--the zombie, I mean.”
“Yes but it really can kill you,” she said, trying to get that point across, “It puts you in a coma and shuts down your heart.”
Ren started to shine romantic overtones to his looks and speech as he addressed Ai, and said, “Then you showing up was vital—your expertise would come in handy.”
Ai stared at him with an eyebrow raised, and asked, “Are you being serious?”
You could almost see Chiyuki's rage flare up. Ren tested the question, as to its intent, by saying, “Well, of course it's good you're here. If you know things like this, and they want to be stupid, then having you around is beneficial.”
He still gave her the eye. A giant frustration mark appeared on Chiyuki's head as she shot eye daggers at Ren. Ai was oblivious to what was going on and answered, “Well thanks.”
A voice called from the back, and said, “Time for the next set!”
“I'll be right there!” said Jean-Claude, “Are you ready, Corn Muffin?”
Anjou smiled and looked at him out of the corner of her eye, saying, “Aren't I a little old for that?”
Jean-Claude hugged her, smiled, and said, “If you live to be a thousand years old, you will always be my Corn Muffin!”
 
They then went back to the stage to play. Meanwhile, Karin was all concerned. What did all this mean ultimately? Should she postpone the wedding? She then said, “Maybe we can just put this off until it blows over, baby.”
Maki grinned, and said, “Well, I do believe the green-eyed monster has struck.”
“What do you mean?” said Karin.
“Look at Chiyuki,” she said, “I think she has something for Ren, Ren has something for Ai, and Ai is oblivious to all of it!”
“Should we say something?” asked Karin.
Kenta laughed, and said, “Maybe it could cause a situation where he finally settles down! This is going to be fun to watch!”
He then looked at Karin, and said, “Don't worry, baby, we're not going to let anyone or anything spoil our dream!”
Ren did not know what to make of this. He was not sure exactly at what time he became her boyfriend, and knew that he was not powerful enough to resist her. Jean-Claude and Anjou, watching this from the stage, were finding it hard not to laugh, slightly disrupting their singing, and playing, while Maki and Wiener were on the floor laughing at the very familiar sight. Soon, Karin and Kenta were joining them on the floor. Yuriya, to add some fuel to the fire, walked over to her husband, and whispered something in his ear, at which he then whispered in Anjou's ear. He then waited until Chiyuki and Ren were at the center of the dance floor, and then the lights dimmed. The small Fernell lights were now shimmering off the disco ball, and a soft spot shown on them. Anjou and the band then broke into Love Song for a Vampire. Karin and Kenta, then Wiener and Maki moved to the floor, got close, and began to sway to the music. Chiyuki let go of Ren's ear, and she said, angrily, “I'll be going, since I'd figure you would want Ai to dance. I don't really care what you do anymore.”
She gave up at that point, and turned to walk away. Karin glared at him, and whispered, “Go after her, you dip!”
Ren was confused now. Yes, Ai would be nice to dance with, but he did not want to the Clan to lose her: she was vital in more ways than one. He thought to himself, “Okay, okay, one dance won't kill me.”
He rushed up and took her arm saying, “Then if you don't care, then at least give me one dance.”
He knew that, if Ai acted oblivious to the romantic overtones that her friend was throwing out to him, then he knew that she might not be the best thing to pursue. Airhead humans were one thing: that was just him feeding. This was something else. If he ever did have to settle down, he wanted a brain in a girl, as well as a body. He hoped that Ai had both, not seeing what he had right in front of him. Chiyuki looked at him curiously, and then followed him out to the dance floor. After the disruption, they restarted the song, which Annie Lennox did for Braham Stoker's Dracula. It was a beautiful song, filled with the passion of love, and regaining lost love in the end. It spoke of a beating, bleeding heart, a winter cold stealing her flower, and spoke of how great it was to be love again. The lyrics were beginning to get to Ren, as he knew her story well. At least, just to be sympathetic to her, he pulled her in a touch closer. The couples, and Anjou, got a knowing grin, and Anjou though as she sung, “So, you do have a heart after all, don't you, big brother?”
Chiyuki stared at him, her eyes started playing tricks on her mind, his eyes turned red, and his hair turned black, and she was staring at her dead love. She pulled away in surprise, only to realize she was still with Ren, and not in the past. Ren looked at her curiously, and said, “You act like you saw a ghost!”
“Its nothing,” she said, stepping back into the dance with him.
As she did, he waited for her to look down, and then to gauge Ai's reaction to the whole thing. Ai waved at him and gave him a thumbs-up and then left, naive to the fact he liked her, but not to the fact Chiyuki liked him. Suddenly, Ren had the sickest notion that he was being set up! Worse, he knew that, if Ai ever spread this scene to his parents, and if Ai ever reflected the way Chiyuki felt, it was “game over!” He choked out, “Everything's fine,” and pulled her in tight, not wanting her to see him like this, hoping that things did not go beyond a dance!
 
Later that night, as everyone made their way back, Jean-Claude and Yuriya wondered if Elda was awake. They did not have long to wait in finding out! As the front door opened, two blurs came out, Mickey clinging to his leg, and Shelia on his bicep. Both were trembling fiercely! Yuriya then said, “We have our answer.”
“Babe, talk to Elda, I'll try and deal with the kids,” he said, “It looks like I don't have a choice!”
With that, he hobbled back to the house, the twins clinging to him like two outgrowths. In the meantime, Elda came up, gushing over her precious great-grandchildren, and gushing over how well they played hide-and-seek. Yuriya then said, “What do you know about voodoo?”
 
 
 
5