Karin Fan Fiction ❯ Karin's Wedding ❯ Chapter 9

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 9
 
No one could believe what they were seeing. There was a gang ready to cause trouble, with Maki and Wiener leading the way! Ren was ready to jump into action, but Jean-Claude said, “Wait, be careful—those people cannot help it. We just can't beat or kill them. We have to subdue them!”
Ren stared at Jean-Claude, and said, “What are you going to do, let them trash your club?”
“We have to be careful,” said Jean-Claude, “They're not in their right minds, especially your two comrades?
Ren growled, but he had to agree. As they were getting ready to move, there was Elda and Antonio. “Friar!” said Jean-Claude, “Doesn't this break some…,” but Antonio said, “If lives are in immediate danger, there is no restriction!”
Karin started to get up, but Kenta sat her down and said, “No, spare your blood! This isn't as big a deal!”
“But Kenta,” she muttered, “That's Maki out there!”
“Sophia says you need to stay put!” said Kenta, “She's you, so, listen to your own advice!”
She sat down frustrated, knowing he was right, but wishing that she could do more. Everyone began to fan out and prepared to grapple and subdue their opponents for their own good. However, Anjou jumped out and raised a hand. All six zombies halted in their tracks, and Anjou said, “Go...now!”
Swiftly, those of vampire breeding moved in. The attackers vainly swung their bats, but they quickly found them gone. Antonio moved in quickly and subdued Maki, tying her hands with a leather thong he had in his pocket. Once this was done, he sought to move back into the fray. Jean-Claude decided to take on the biggest one, and save the others some trouble. Unlike what Hollywood would depict, they may have been under the influence of a powerful drug, but they were no less swift. They were not the lumbering, brainless hulks that might see in a B-rated horror flick, they still could fight. Jean-Claude waited for him to move in, then ducked under his arms, and took him over in a belly-to-belly suplex, slamming him hard. If he was hurt, he figured he could go back and heal him later. He hopped up and waited for the man to roll over and gain his feet. Once he did, Jean-Claude jumped on his back and applied to the sleeper hold to his foe. Within about ten seconds, the man was unconscious. Jean-Claude then took off his cloak and restrained his hands with it. Meanwhile, everyone else had the zombies going in circles. They were still able to fight, but they were no match for vampires and one g'hul. However, as they were being subdued, one reached into his jacket, and threw down a flare ball. Before anyone could react, they all screamed in pain for the flash. Once that happened, they began to regain themselves and go for the bats if they were not yet tied down. At this, Clarice came in and pulled out a trick of her own. She shouted, “My apologies, everyone, but this is all that can be done.”
With that, she reached into her bag of tricks and threw down three small sacks. She then went back in and closed the door. A thick, brown gas filled the area, and quickly, everyone outside was unconscious. The gas quickly dissipated, and then Clarice said to those inside, “Bring everyone in, and subdue the zombies!”
 
Once inside, the effort began to revive everyone. Meanwhile, outside, all this was being watched. Mimoun was not far away, and he laughed and smiled. He had seen all that he needed to see, and he knew they would find the note he left on Wiener. They would soon get the point. If they continued to resist, they would feel far worse than this. He knew vampires were powerful, but they were not unbeatable. He then started to leave, and then felt the bristles rise on his neck. He then changed course and went another direction, a direction that had more room to maneuver. Within a split second, Chiyuki and Ai were in front of him, saying, “And just where do you think you're going?”
Sterner than they could remember, he scowled at them, and flipped out two darts out of his pockets. They hit them in the chest, and they began to convulse and vomit blood. “Ah, laudanum does wonders for the undead!” he said, now affecting a smile, “I know this won't kill you, but I think you are now realizing you are fighting forces you cannot control.”
He then looked at them as they lay on the ground, shaking, pale, and in a pool of their own blood vomit, and said sternly, “Stay out of my business, and halt this silly notion of mixing. You shall all die if you do not stop.”
He turned on his heel, and walked away silently, as he lit his cigar.
 
Ren was just coming around when he heard a primal scream in his head. Every vampire in the place winced in pain. Ren tried to get up, groaning, “Chiyuki!” and then he fell to the floor. “Ren” said Karin, trying to help him back onto the table he had been on, but she then felt a strong surge in her blood. There was the strong sense of unhappiness, and she had to get out of there. All the while, the Innocent sisters were watching, wondering if something like this was normalcy for them. As they watched Karin go out, they figured they should follow up in case something happened. When Karin did step out, the sight horrified her. There was Chiyuki and Ai, both crawling along, covered in blood, with several lesions opening and closing as they tried to heal themselves, but they were slowing in their efforts. They were running out of blood, and she did not know if she could get them back inside to let them feed. They would also have to go into the supply, as there may not be enough in the club that could offer their necks to restore them. She had no choice. Her blood was rising anyway, and she had to act. She only hoped that this was not shortening her life by a few months or so, (every second of her time was precious.) Chiyuki had originally balked at this, but now there was no choice. She figured that she could give them enough blood to get them inside, and then let them get what they needed to finish the job. She extended her fangs and put them into their arms. She stayed about a minute and a half on each one, and they began to revive quickly. At that, the Innocent sisters came up and helped Karin get them inside. Karin called for their blood preferences, (in code for the mortals in there who were not in the know,) and they refreshed themselves. By this point, Clarice was already applying the right doses of Nightshade, and Jean-Claude was searching them for clues. It was then he came across the note, and it read, “By this point, you have seen the full effect of my powers, and you were barely able to stop this. What shall you do when all of us come here? It is my strongest suggestion that all of you cease the mixing, or else far worse awaits you. Halt this foolish wedding, and leave things alone. You are not gods, as you soon shall find out. We can do these things whenever we want, and all of you are powerless to stop us. Leave a letter of response in the crack of the door when you close the club. Do not try for an ambush, or you shall pay dearly. It would be a shame to see that silly club of yours go up in smoke, now wouldn't it. Learn your places, you fools!”
Anger began to boil up inside of Jean-Claude. He fought hard in his native land against this kind of foolishness, fought again when he arrived here, and he had thought he would finally have peace. Now some arrogant nut case decides that he is going to come all this way to decide how fate worked for them. He became so enraged that the note in his hand exploded into flame, and he got that look in his eye that everyone in the room feared and respected. However, Antonio said, “My son, you must not let rage overtake you. Remember the line between wrongful judgment and righteous indignation. This shall not serve you well. You will have your chance. Wait on God's hand, my son, to guide you into proper action. God shall insure when the time is right, and when it is, victory shall be final.”
Jean-Claude began to pull it back, and he took some deep breaths to regain his focus. “Thank you, friar,” he said, “I was about to do something stupid.”
Clarice said, “Peace be with you, Jean-Claude, and in a few days, your friends shall be back to normal.”
Anjou then said, “Please, can you tell me where you are both staying? I fear retribution against the two of you, and I have my ways of insuring no one bothers you where you stay. You may have to bring in your own meals, for what I wish to do will make it seem that your rooms do not exist.”
Clarice accepted this, but Antonito said, “Thank you for your kind offer, child, but if the Holy Ghost cannot protect me, then nothing can. I shall be fine. I have my ways.”
Anjou smiled and said, “I figured you might!”
 
Some of them helped get all the victims of Mimoun's mischief to Clarice's room, while the rest hung back. Karin was now talking to a genuinely frightened pair of twins. Sea Blue was saying to Ruby, with a tremble in her voice, “I think we need to go home!”
Ruby sat there quiet and emotionless. She then said, “Who are you people?”
Karin thought her answer carefully. She may have been a bit of a ditz, but she had matured some. After all, she had seen; how could she not? “Okay, you know what the Clan is all about now, so you also have to understand that there are those that have no wish to see this continue.”
“Maybe it is better,” said Ruby, “Father would be forced to agree.”
“Father would rather hide under a rock than fight anything!” snapped Sea Blue.
“Being in the Clan means you have to be a bit of a fighter, because not everyone cares to see this dream come true,” said Karin.
“Maybe it should not,” said Ruby.
“Remember what Jean-Claude told you about his family?” Karin asked.
They both sat silent, thinking about what he had told them, and then Karin said, “What those that hate and wish to impose their will on others do not understand is that, in their quest to keep good things from happening for their own greedy gain, they actually created their death warrant out of what they tried to kill. I haven't been around the block as a vampire as many times as my grandmother, or the Devil sisters, but one thing they have told me is that being a vampire is a constant struggle to survive. This is something the two of you are going to have to learn, or you will not last long. However, what you see here is something good, because we are building a family out of those that once hated us. They are just as willing to give their lives for us as we are for them. We have pledged our well being one to another, because we all know that there is safety in numbers. Even grandmother admits that this has been the safest she has ever felt in centuries, because she has somewhere safe to flee if she needs it, and friends who would fight to the death for her would surround her. However, this has been the first time in years that we have faced a direct attack, and this seems to be a legitimate threat. Further, Jean-Claude has expressed to us back on the hill is that they may not stop in just busting up the Clan, and trying to shut down my wedding. They may even try to enslave us somehow. We don't know if they can do it, but why take the chance. If you two join the Clan, it's like joining NATO: an attack on one is an attack on us all. What do you say? Come up to the hilltop tonight, and Jean-Claude will tell you what it all involves.”
Sea Blue was all on it, but Ruby wasn't so sure. “Let us go to the hill,” said Ruby, “and I'll think about it on the way.”
Karin then said, “We'll wait for the others to return so we can close the club, and then we shall go from there.”
 
About an hour and a half later, everyone returned. By this point, Karin had learned all about the Innocent sisters, the information being well volunteered by Sea Blue, who was at this point gnawing off Karin's ear, so to speak. Ruby did not say much, as she sat there wondering if her sister was saying too much. By this point, the club was nearly empty, and the others came to close up. By this point, a response had been written, a collaboration of Elda, the Devil sisters, and Jean-Claude. They locked up, and Jean-Claude slipped in the note. “Let's go,” said Jean-Claude, and they all left. In the meantime, Karin briefed him on all that had been said while he was away, and he said, “The Clan is a collaboration of humans, vampires, undead who wanted to cross over, and dhamphir like me. At this point, there is about a company of us, with several vampire allies throughout Japan who are looking into joining with us one day. The goal is to protect one another, protect Japan, find, and recruit those like yourselves, and any amongst the kinds I have mentioned. We are very careful to screen candidates, making sure there is minimal chance for betrayal. Once this is established, it is only then when we tell them the whole truth. We take the time to educate them, and ease them into our world, to remove their fears, and let them know that they have friends. Karin here has told me that the two of you have well passed the screening process, and by your auras, I am forced to agree with her approval. However, the education process for vampires is minimal, because there is not much you really need to learn. It is only old vampiric prejudices that have to be relieved sometimes. I then must ask you if you two are up to associating with humans.”
Sea Blue was ready, but Ruby then asked, “What if someone decides to change their minds?”
“Just like when we feed,” he said, “We erase the memory of the conversation, and put them out.”
“What if they have been a part for some time?” asked Ruby.
“That is a little harder,” said Jean-Claude, “because there is much more to erase. We would be removing whole sections of their lives. However, the only way to defense against something like that is to tell them that this is what must happen. I don't like reducing someone to a vegetable, but sectional amnesia is a good deterrent against turncoats.”
Ruby pondered this, and said, “What would I tell father?”
“He doesn't have to know unless it is absolutely necessary,” said Jean-Claude, “I would like him in the mix, but we would have to give him some time. That's normal.”
Jean-Claude then said, “I know this is sudden, so, if you care to think some more, take your time. Know, however, though, that you are now sworn to secrecy over all you have seen and heard tonight, whether you want it or not. This is only for the safety of the clan.”
“I must go feed, and then go home and rest,” said Ruby, “I must live in the day.”
With that, she took her leave, wondering if she should even trust humans. That was the hardest part for her. In the meantime, Sea Blue Innocent was being questioned again. “Do you agree to trust humans in the Clan?”
“Yes!”
“Do you agree to be there if another member of the family is in trouble?”
“Yes!”
“Do you agree to educate humans and vampires everywhere when the opportunity presents itself to do it right.”
“Yes.”
“Then tomorrow night,” said Jean-Claude, “We shall do the oath and initiation. Don't worry; it's not some kind of hazing. For humans, it's not as bad, because they do some kind of blood brother thing, although there is one part they still do. For a vampire, however, we all blood bond. This is what happens. A pint of blood is drawn from the recruit, and all vampires drink of it. The humans have it smeared on their foreheads and leave it there until it dries up and falls off. Then, every member of the Clan—human or vampire—puts a squirt of his or her blood into a cup, and the vampire recruit drinks it, while a human will have it poured over him as a symbol of purification, and a mark of bonding with the rest. Then the oath is taken. Tomorrow night, be on the hill in the corner of the town, just after the sun has set. Are you sure you still want this?”
“Yes, I do,” said Sea Blue.
“We'll see you tomorrow night then,” said Jean-Claude, as everyone split up either to go home or to feed.
 
Meanwhile, back at the club, Mimoun fetched the letter, and was enraged by what he read:
 
To whom it may concern,
 
An attack on one of us is an attack on all the Clan. We have numbers, and you had better bring the rest. Here are your options: leave Japan forever, or else not one of you shall leave alive. When none would have us, Japan took us in. When we had no homes, Japan gave us homes. When trouble came, the sentient beings of Japan, and those pledged to her safety, came to our aid. We stand on the threshold to be the example for the rest of the world on the peace that can be achieved, and every Clan member is willing to fight to the death to defend it. You shall take your filthy feet of these precious shores, or else you shall face your doom. Leave us alone or die. We pledge and seal this in our own blood. However, Papa Mimoun, know this—you are as good as dead, it's only a matter of time. You may act on us, but know that we already think of you as dead, until we actually make you so, and then we shall think on you no more.
 
The letter had four smear marks on it, each one having beside it a signature indicating which smear belonged to whom. Mimoun was enraged, and worse, he had been singled out to die, whether or not he proceeded. He was tempted to torch the club right then. However, as soon as he pondered this, the place went gray, and he became disorientated. He had not the time to effect a spell to counter this, and worse, he felt himself lift off the ground, as a cloud of bats took him about ten miles from the club. He had already known that his opponent was formidable, and this act proved that. They had put up a ward, and used their bats to make things happen. If they had wanted to, they could have killed them right then had it not been for pressing matters. It would be a day before others arrived, and he knew that they would trickle in as the time passed. He lit the note, and said, “Now we shall see who has the last laugh.”
 
 
 
4