Karin Fan Fiction ❯ Karin's Wedding ❯ Chapter 11

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 11
 
As Karin relayed the story, the Devil sisters both got a horrified look on their faces. Even though they needed blood, at that moment, that kind of blood was not what they wanted. They wanted to avoid the Fount at all cost, because they feared that there would be things they would have to sacrifice. Despite her attempting to help them, she had inadvertently cured their undead situation, or at least for the time being. Yukkiko did not revert, which made them wonder if they were stuck. Karin was sad, horrified, and apologetic at the same time. However, she also explained that she did not know what else to do, and they needed something to counteract the chemical. Ai said, “That explains what happened this morning.”
When they got up that morning, they stepped outside, and then screamed in pain as the sun began to toast them. They immediately retreated to a dark place, and they were trapped until sundown. At first, they thought that Mimoun zapped them with something, but then they put two and two together, and it equaled Karin. Finally, Karin just said, “I am so sorry, because I know you wanted to think about it more,” and she hung her head, thinking, “There's something else where you blew it. It's so embarrassing.”
Chiyuki was a bit steamed, but Ai managed to take it in stride, and said, “Well, at least I'm alive again. If only…” and she trailed off, thinking about someone special—someone who she thought she would never see again. Yet, because the two of them practically lived in each other's brains, Chiyuki understood what she was on about, and suddenly, she began to get a smirk on her face. “What is it that Jean-Claude always says? `When life hands you lemons, make lemon juice?'”
“That's lemonade,” said Karin, “But you're on track.”
At that, she looked over at Ren, smirked again, and said, “Karin, when was the last time you had a double date?”
“A date?” said Karin, “You know something; I've been around Kenta so much that it's hard to tell when we are just together, and when it's an official date. I guess it's because we're so close to being wed that we might as well be when we go out.”
“Then I suggest that you ask Kenta out on a date for tomorrow night,” said Chiyuki, “and Ren and I are coming with you.”
“What, Ren on a date with me!” Karin said, “Oh…I wouldn't know about this!”
“What's wrong,” said Chiyuki, “He's your brother after all, what would be the problem?”
Karin was embarrassed to admit that, despite all that had transpired in the past three or four years, they still had not become close. It was not so much that she did not want to be with him, he did not really want to be with her. “I don't know if he wants me around,” she finally said quietly.
Chiyuki looked at her oddly, and then said, “Are you telling me he doesn't care about you?”
“No, no, I didn't say that,” Karin answered, “He does care, he just…well…old habits die hard. He still adheres to the `vampires are all lone wolves' thing, and he just tries to be independent.”
“If your father has anything to say about it, that is going to change,” said Chiyuki, “and after our last date, I don't think he would mind much.”
The lights went on in her head, and she said, “Oh, I see now! If this thing sticks, Ren is as good as yours, right?”
Chiyuki smiled an evil smile, and that was all the answer Karin needed. However, she still was not sure how Ren would react to going on a double date with his sister there. As if an answer, a voice said, “We can make it a triple date.”
Everyone almost jumped out of her skin, and Chiyuki said, “Kid, it's been a bit over three years, and you still annoy me with that, well…that.”
Anjou just smiled, and said, “Francois wanted a date tomorrow, so we can make it a great night.”
“So, how does that help me, sis?” asked Karin.
“He does not have to know,” Anjou said, “All he has to know is that he will be with her and us. We can meet you on the way. He may be annoyed, but he would have to go along with it.”
“Leave it to my feminine charm, kiddo,” said Chiyuki, “I'll just bat my eyes the right way and give him that look, and he'll be putty in my hands.”
“Okay, it looks like a plan,” said Karin, “Let's plan to eat at Julian's and Kenta and I will just `happen' to be there.”
However, Ai began to realize that she would be left out of things, and began to look down. As if on cue, Neko came out of nowhere and curled up on her lap. As she began to scratch him, he began to purr loudly and contentedly. Ai said, “Oh Neko, you always know how to cheer up a girl.”
Yet, Neko began to think about how the situation would be changing soon, and, oddly enough, the solution may actually come from the bokor that he knew was coming. It was not that he would ask them for help, but he, being a cat, would not be noticed slipping into their camp. He knew chemical combinations of which those idiots could only dream. Once he put them together, he would split, and then do what he needed. He then said in his mind, “Don't worry, my love, all this is going to change, and soon!”
 
In the meantime, Jean-Claude wanted to take some time to meet the parents of the Innocent sisters, and put him at ease about things. He, by this point, was wearing his band uniform, and he was in between sets. He figured that he could use that time to speak. As people were chatting, dancing to some recorded music, becoming friendly, and even feeding, The Markers and the Kataris were sitting on the porch getting to know one another. Jean-Claude came up with a warm smile and he extended his hand. “It's good to meet you,” he said, “Your daughters made a good decision tonight. From now on, they are going to be as secure as gold in Fort Knox, and they are going to be able to make good friends here.”
He took a seat, and Jacques looked at him curiously. He then said, “If I did not know that was you underneath that scarf, I could have sworn that you were a different person.”
“I've been married for three years now,” said Jean-Claude, “And even my wife does not know who is going to be there on any given night. It all depends on what is going on.”
Yuriya slipped up and took a chair beside him, putting her arm into his. Maria asked her, “Doesn't that Jekyll and Hyde thing make you nervous?”
“Not at all,” she said as she smiled, “When he is brooding, that means someone is trying to cause trouble, and I know that person is in for it that night! It actually makes me feel safe!”
She leaned over and pecked him on the cheek. She then leaned over, and said in a knowing, hushed tone, “And when he comes back from nights like that, I love him even more!”
Maria smiled as she leaned back. Jean-Claude then said, “What do you think about all this?”
“I really don't know what to think,” said Jacques, “I didn't think any of this was possible.”
“Nothing is impossible,” said Jean-Claude, “It all depends on your want-to's”
“My `want-to's?'” he asked back, curious to his meaning.
“Sir, if there is one thing that I have learned,” said Jean-Claude, “It is this: each and every sentient being on the face of the earth is the sum total of every decision he or she has ever made. I don't care what the old timers say: the only reason why this did not happen a lot sooner, is that vampires merely made the choice to stay away, pure and simple. Yes, bad things happened, but that was then—this is now. I have watched these humans grow out of their superstitions, and I can tell you that the only reason why they did not know anything is that vampires chose to cloister themselves. Yes, I know we are the minority, and yes, I know what witch-hunts are all about, and in ways I do not care to experience again. However, such things are far less likely to happen in today's modern world. I grant you, we still have to take it slow. Yet, look at the ages of many of these humans. They will come nowhere near close to living as long as their vampire friends live. Yet, they will have more children than what you see here, and they will raise them in a different atmosphere, where knowledge of the dark world will be commonplace to them from the cradle on. Some of those humans and vampires are going to have offspring, and they can become fertile as long as the Fountain lives. Therefore, it is not a bad thing. When she does `move on,' we will have to give the warning about the offspring that such a combo would possibly make. However, if they go into it with their eyes open, then it could be permitted. Think about this also: many of those vampires you see are going to end up on the council one day, and they will be able to find more efficient ways to merge the worlds together. With humans knowing about things, the transition could happen one day. Whether or not anyone likes it, the fire is started, and there shall be none that could even come close to stopping it. It's the point of no return now. There is no going back, for any of us.”
The Kataris sat quiet as the pondered his words. Soon, Jacques stood up, and observed the goings-on. He saw Sea Blue all abuzz, talking to as many people as she could, getting to know everyone the best she could. Ruby was more introverted, and she did talk when addressed, but she preferred to observe and take things in. She was beginning to warm to things. In the meantime, he now realized that the only way to tell who was what was to look at their teeth. If you did not do this, you would not have thought the scene any more outside a normal social gathering. Jean-Claude was preparing to return to his playing, and he walked up behind Jacques, put a hand on his shoulder, and said, “Is this not a beautiful sight? There's no fear here, no hatred, no harsh words, laughing, funning, dancing, and even loving. This is how it could be, Jacques—this is how it should have been.”
With that, he returned to the band. Maria came up and snuggled close, saying, “It's a new world, honey, and I think our daughters have the right idea. This way, they have a chance.”
He smiled, and said, “They have the best chance.”
 
The next night, Jean-Claude saw both Karin and Anjou darting about the grounds, going in and out of the main house frequently. Fumio was all into things, all excited that the now not so little Anjou was going on a date, and she was doing all she could to help both girls. She liked the idea of a date, even though her son might as well be already wed to her at this point. “This was such a good idea,” Fumio gushed, “Things like this always keep a relationship fresh. Kenta even said today that he felt kind of flattered that you wanted to have a date, and not just go out.”
“I hope he likes it,” said Karin, “Because, if it goes well, I'll want a lot more of these!”
Anjou said, “Hurry, sister, it's almost time. I sense Francois approaching, and you two need to get ahead of us.”
“Okay, okay,” she said, “Fumio, could you please let Kenta know that I'm ready?”
“Oh, sure,” said Fumio, and she went to fetch Kenta. When he came out, he saw Karin, and he was stunned. She was wearing a light violet, knee length dress that accented her femininity without becoming gaudy or overexposing. “Are you ready?” she asked.
“Looking like that,” said Kenta, with a broad smile on his face, “I'd take you to the moon!”
They linked arms and went on. Forty minutes later, Ren and Chiyuki emerged, arm in arm, and Ren was still warming to her. Five minutes later, Francois arrived for Anjou. The two couples were off. Fumio waved, but then saw another approach. It was Jean-Claude, and he looked more ready to hunt than anything else. Fumio was not sure what the problem was, and she dared a question, asking, “What's going on? Is there trouble?”
“Not necessarily,” he said, “However, I guess you could call it a hunch. Remember what happened a couple of nights ago, and the like?”
“Oh, yes,” she said, “It is a bit frightening.”
“Then I am a bit concerned,” he said, “It may be nothing, but with them like that, I cannot help but think they are making themselves targets.”
“Do you really think it's that dangerous?” she asked, now a little frightened herself.
“Well, think about it,” he said, “Do you ever wonder why we have you look after the twins so often?”
“I'd do it in a heartbeat,” she said, “I love them to death, and I love how they call me Auntie Fumio.”
He sighed, and said, “To be honest, it's also partially because we are trying to insure that you don't have to come of the hill as much as possible.”
“You're keeping me occupied?” she asked, saddened.
“Look,” he said, “It's not that we don't trust you, or that we are just using the twins. It's just…you know what happened to Maki and Wiener, right?”
“Oh yes,” she said, now concerned, “How are they doing?”
“Clarice says that they are almost back to normal,” he said, “It was a bit nip and tuck there for a few, but they're going to be fine.”
He then changed his tone a touch, and said, “However, I don't want to see you like this. One thing I can tell you, there is no way they can get up here. Clarice has assured me of that. The kind of…well…what she calls `magic' we use for our wards is more powerful than they can counter. They could try for a million years, and they are not getting up here if we don't want them here. You are safest here. Don't worry, the others will be up here, and they will insure that you won't be alone. They will also insure that you will have company when you need it. In the meantime, I have to keep an eye on things.”
He pulled out a two-way radio, and he said, “We have our scouts out right now, and they'll inform me if there is trouble. All my bats are out right now, except for Bruce. He's coming with me.”
As soon as he said that, Bruce landed on his shoulder. He reached up and scratched his head, and said, “It will be fine.”
With that, he headed out himself.
 
As both couples walked, Francois was attempting to know his future brother-in-law better. Before, Ren had always turtled-up, but he was pleasantly surprised that night. Ren was loosening up, and becoming more conversational. Oddly enough, he did not even notice that that was what he was doing. Chiyuki, however, understood clearly what was going on. He was around people he could trust, and he felt more at ease in talking. As it turned out, though still keeping that suave air about him, he turned out to be a very open and kind man. He was quiet, but considerate, and Chiyuki loved how he was holding doors, slipping on coats, and so forth. They finally arrived at Julian's, and the proprietor warmly greeted them. He then said, “Wait, your Karin's little sister, right?”
She grinned and nodded. He then said, “Well, guess what, she and Kenta are here! Let me set up a table with them!”
Ren started to look a touch annoyed, and said, “That won't be necessary, we'll…” but Chiyuki cut him off, and said, “Nonsense, you insensitive lug; that's your sister, and I think she would like her brother there.”
For Ren, it was not so much Karin as it was Kenta. He finally accepted that humans with vampires were going to happen and he had learned to live with it. However, he still did not care for the `humans-marrying-vampires' thing that was emerging. He had tolerated Kenta at first as something needed, but then Kenta had earned his respect by nearly getting himself killed while trying to rescue his sister from a fate worse than death. Had he not acted, those foolish vampires would have drained his sister dry before the next sun. They were greedy and foolish. They only thought for themselves, not caring who they would hurt in the process. However, he still saw this as taking away their sister. Though it was true that a third house was to be built a bit lower on the hill, (which was becoming a regular Clan compound now,) and she would be there. He still was not fully comfortable with the whole thing. Still, Chiyuki would never have forgiven him if he refused his sister, so he reluctantly agreed to things. They sat and ate, and Ren began to loosen up even more. This was completely different from being with one of his dolls. However, he had not seen any of them in days, and his feeding had been limited to a “bite and go” tactic. For some reason, he no longer felt comfortable playing the gigolo at that point, because a little voice in the back of his head, (his conscience, which he was listening to for the first time ever,) told him that it would be betraying Chiyuki. He would need to feed that night, so he figured that the two of them could work something out. The dinner went well, and the bunch of them went out to see a movie. After the show, they started to head through the park below the hill. It had been a long time since action had taken place there, so they had been using it again for about a year. However, that was about to change.
 
Once they were in the heart of the park, which was quite deserted, the image of Mimoun came forth on the far edge of the middle of the park. “You fools!” he said, “If it is a war you want, you now have it!”
With that, five bokor came out of the bushes, and they were preparing for a fight. They had health bludgeons, as well as their sacks of tricks. Ren knew that he could defeat them, but they were also not to be underestimated. Yet, before the boys and Chiyuki could move, they saw on the other side of the clearing stood Mama Clarice and Friar Antonio. The friar was bearing a staff and Clarice her bag of tricks. “Ah, I thought it had to be you behind all this,” said Clarice, speaking in the Creole tongue, “They told me it was you, and I believed them, but I wanted to be completely sure. You have to be suicidal.”
“You have to be the suicidal one to face me like this,” he said, “You cannot possibly think that you shall face us down. They came all the way here to fight.”
“Oh, but I do think so,” came a voice out of the brush. Suddenly, one of the bokor found a saber through his gullet. He knew enough of the Acadian French to follow the Creole, and he said in the Acadian, (or Cajun,) "You came all the way here to fight. It's too bad you came all the way here to die!”
He extracted the saber, and said, “Welcome to your last mistake!”