Karin Fan Fiction ❯ Karin's Wedding ❯ Chapter 14

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 14
 
“So, you're the one that's been causing the stir,” said Ryuu, “You do realize that you are walking a dangerous line.”
Jean-Claude was not sure about this salutation, so he said, “Um, could we start with `Hi, my name is…'”
“Sorry,” said Ryuu, “It's just I am not used to giving such casual addresses to subordinates.”
“Subordinates!” said Jean-Claude, “Just who do you think you are?”
“I just happen to be one of the oldest vampires in existence,” he said, “I would prefer a bit more respect from juniors to me, especially you, half-breed.”
Jean-Claude began to get that look in his eyes, and his right hand began to grip the saber, but something told him to back off. He knew that Ai and Chiyuki were quite old, and he might just be what he claimed. Yes, he did deserve some respect; however, he was going to let him know that he was more than what he saw. Instead, he slowly pulled his saber and rendered a proper salute with it, and said, “Welcome to the Clan. However, I would prefer the disdainful remarks. We treat each other as equals here.”
Ryuu let a grin curl over his lips, and he said, “Yes, you are indeed a leader. Most of your kind would not have shown as much restraint. Some would write you off as an extravagant street gang.”
Jean-Claude resheathed the saber, and he said, “I figured you might be testing things. Yes, I recognize your senior position, and I would always respect your point of view. However, I would say that I do call the shots here, in this situation. What we are trying to accomplish…”
“…is really shaking things up,” said Ryuu, “You know, considering how the whole vampire thing got started, it is amazing that the powers that be in the higher plains has allowed this. You are moving quite swiftly.”
Jean-Claude was not sure how to take that, considering how he believed himself in tune with that “Power.” He then had to know, “What do mean by `allow this?'”
“I am not sure you want to know all that was involved in bringing our kind into this world,” said Ryuu, “but I will say this: our kind has been crawling around since the beginning of time. The truth is, we were never quite meant to be.”
“Please don't tell me we are a mistake,” said Jean-Claude.
“I am not sure how to see that position,” said Ryuu, “I look at our history, and I do know that the only kind of vampires that had been were the created kind. In that sense, yes, they were not meant to be. On the other hand, the first true vampire was not destroyed for some reason.”
Jean-Claude began to pace and think, and then he said, “Was there something about this first that God allowed?”
“That is a good question,” said Ryuu, “Maybe there was a hope he would change?”
“Instead he was creating more and more of his kind as time passed,” said Jean-Claude.
“We all have free will,” Ryuu said knowingly.
“That's true,” said Jean-Claude, “but what I want to know was when things changed, in other words, when the pure bloods came to be.”
“That, I am not sure about,” said Ryuu, “However, the supernatural world is upset.”
“Someone from certain parts of the supernatural realm is upset,” corrected Jean-Claude, “Besides, if that one side has resisted, would not that mean the other side does not mind things here?”
Ryuu looked at him quizzically for a moment, and then he said, “Are you saying that what is happening here is God's will?”
“The way you talk, what else am I to conclude,” said Jean-Claude, “Why would pure bloods emerge? Why would a drop in vampires cause a Fountain of Psyche to be born? Why would there be one possible one in reserve, (pointing to Ruby?) If we were not meant to be, and if this were not meant to happen, God would certainly send warnings to cease and desist.”
Ryuu began to pace a bit, lost in thought. He then said, “Okay, let's assume that you're right. If so, then we have to be preparing for a huge fight against an enemy far more ruthless than what you have ever faced before, empowered by very dark forces.”
“I think I got a taste of that the other night,” said Jean-Claude, “There were only five of Mimoun's foot soldiers, and they gave us quite a fight.”
“So, what do you think is going to happen once you face the big fight?” said Ryuu.
Jean-Claude did not answer that, because he had already put some thought to that, and he did not like what he saw. However, he said, “Ai seems to be more optimistic.”
“Trust me,” he said, “They will be tough, but that does not mean unstoppable. With my help, we can win. Your little plan seems to be good. However, some things are going to have to happen.”
“Like what?” asked Jean-Claude.
“How did you defeat them last night?” asked Ryuu.
“I had to go to some last resort tactics,” said Jean-Claude, “I use them rarely because they are that deadly. I don't want to get into the habit of using them.”
“Then that is what you are going to have to teach your troops,” said Ryuu, “though you're going to have to instill the same kind of discipline into them.”
“Are you willing to catch the vision, then?” asked Jean-Claude.
“Let me watch you for a bit,” he said, “and see if your game plan of attrition is going to work. Stay tough, because if God is on your side, nothing shall stop you. In the meantime, I have a certain young lady with whom I need to catch up—good evening,” and he left.
Jean-Claude began to think for a bit, and then he said, “Victor, spread the word. We are going to have an emergency training session for the next week. We are going to learn some new hand-to-hand techniques.”
 
While all this was going on, Karin was getting together with Yuriya and Fumio, for they were going to the bridal shops the next day to select the gown and the rest of the principles outfits for the wedding. Maki joined in, and Ruby approached. When she heard what was going on, she said she would like to be there. She may not say much, and stays in the background, but that did not mean that she wanted to fade into the background. They happily agreed, and made plans for when to meet.
 
They went to the shops, and as most girls are wont to do, they were willing to look at and try on many different fashions and designs, if for no other reason than just to see what it looked like. Oddly enough, despite being 37, Fumio was still a head turner. Whenever she tried on a maid's gown, every man in the shop stopped to look, while there were several faces pressed against the glass of the shop. The day was filled with excitement and giggling, as if they were all 14 years old, all given a large bankroll, and then were told that they could do whatever they wanted. At some point, selections were made, and a lavender décor was selected. Oddly enough, though Ruby said little, and tried on nothing, when it came time for choosing, her taste was exquisite, and she was the one that helped everyone decide on the décor. By this point, it was about three o'clock in the afternoon, and Karin figured that they were going to go grab a snack somewhere and head back, but Maki and Yuriya stopped her and said, “Oh no you don't! There's…ah…one more stop that deals with something just as important as the wedding day.”
With that, they hit a place called “The Enchanted Evening,” and Karin turned red. It was not because her blood rose, but because she was embarrassed. Maki then said, “Just as important as the wedding day is the wedding night!”
She leaned right into Karin's face with a sly look on her own, pumping her eyebrows up and down. Karin said, “I am NOT going in there!”
Yuriya said, “Oh really? And just what do you have for that special moment…Hmm?”
Karin turned and said, “Oh, you're one to talk, Miss A-cup!”
She curled up her hands and pumped her womanhood up and down with the knuckles of her thumbs, saying, “Hey, I'm not that small anymore!”
Fumio then said, “Well, oddly enough, because you've had children, they are going to keep some size.”
Karin then began to envision herself pregnant, and she wondered if she was going to look like Aieda. Maki then said, “Don't change the subject! You have to have something for Kenta.”
Karin had to admit that she really did not own anything like that, so, like a prisoner condemned to death, she accepted her fate and marched in.
 
The sun had set by the time they were done, and they had everything either ordered or bought. They were going home with bags and boxes galore. By this point, Anjou and Sea Blue had caught up to them. They were all agog about the haul that had been made, and fantasies about the big day were flowing through their minds. However, the shopping district they were in was in an area that made them pass through a wooded area before they got back to the town and home. Karin was lost in thought about the wedding day. She was imagining the taking of the vows and the giving of the rings, the kiss, and then, the honeymoon. Normally, this kind of thing was unheard of in the vampire world, because they just handed over the bride to the new husband, and that was it. However, what was happening here was somewhat unprecedented. Only one time before was this done, and that dealt with Jean-Claude. This was different. This was being done with the full blessing of the council, and Kenta wanted to do things right. It was not just to help make things solid; it was almost a political statement. She knew that she had no guarantee on how much time she had left, so she wanted to have these moments so that she could try to live life to the fullest while she had it. In all her thinking, she had drifted back about 50 meters behind the rest, and they were too engrossed in their conversation to know where she had gone. She snapped to, and saw how far ahead they had gone. In the instant she contemplated trying to catch up; someone came out of the brush.
 
“I cannot believe how fortunate I am,” said Mimoun, “I did not expect this. It must be that the papas have handed you over to me. I told you your wedding was not to be!”
Karin was about to scream, but Mimoun covered her mouth and dragged her into the woods. Fumio eventually looked back to see where Karin had gone, and all they saw were the packages she had been carrying. She screamed, “KARIN!”
Everyone snapped around, and Yuriya told Anjou to get Maki and Fumio out of there. “But Karin's in trouble!” protested Maki, but Yuriya said, “For Fumio's sake, get yourselves out of here!”
Anjou was ramping up her strength, and hauling the two of them off. In the meantime, Anjou sent a few bats to the house ahead of her, because she had to get help fast. Once they were safe, she was going back. There was no way she was going to leave her sister behind.
 
Karin was fighting hard as Mimoun was dragging her through the woods. Soon, she was in a clearing where there were about seven foot solders waiting. Mimoun said, “It is hard to get them here, but I assure you, child, more is coming, with more bokor. I will deal with your friends soon enough.”
There was a large fire there, with several candles and voodoo dolls put around. Soon they were playing drums and chanting, as if a ritual was going to be performed. “Now is the time where we shall cut out your heart and burn your body. It is time to put an end to all this nonsense. We shall never surrender our power to the changes you claim we need.”
He then pulled out a large knife and began to approach as the chanting was reaching a climax. Karin knew she had to preserve her blood, but help was nowhere to be seen. These foot soldiers did not seem doped up, but even then, eight against one was not good. She had three years of Jean-Claude's training, but she knew that it still was not enough against these people by herself. Her only chance was to accelerate her blood and then use it. It was this or die, guaranteed. She started to tap into her own despair and her blood rose. When it was at the right moment, she snapped the hemp rope holding her as if it were flax. Her eyes glowed and she vamped out. Mimoun then said, “Impressive! I never heard of a Fountain of Psyche being able to do what you do!”
Karin was not one for words at this point, and she rushed the nearest foot soldier. He was good, but there was no way a normal mortal was going to take on a vampire in this frame of mind. She was kicking, punching, and breaking as fast as she could. Two foot soldiers burst into flames. Mimoun was about to act himself, but then he heard the movement behind him.
 
Anjou did not want to create too much of a fuss by interrupting the fight training. He would probably be sore as it was considering how not everyone was there, and she knew that he might go overkill for this situation. Besides, her bats were showing that Karin was handling things. However, she was worried that she was expending blood too fast, and she did not like what she saw in that regard. She found Kenta and Chiyuki and she explained what was happening. Just that fast, Chiyuki, Ai, Kenta, Yukkiko, and Ryuu were moving, carrying those that could not move as fast. They caught up with the rest, and headed to the clearing. By the time they showed up, Mimoun was gone, and Karin was wiping out the last one. Normally, there would be praise for her ability to handle things. However, there was a bit of fear considering how quickly she handled things. When they all arrived, she wheeled around. Yet, in the firelight, they saw her face, and they saw that something was terribly wrong, just as much as she knew something was so wrong. She tried to raise her blood, but to no avail. She was pale, and staggering. “Oh no!” she whimpered, “Oh no, it can't be…”
Ryuu's eyes went wide, and he said, “The Fount has dried!”
Karin heard this, and a flood of emotions hit her at once. She knew that she was done for, and all before she could complete her dreams. She started to stagger forward, and fell as Kenta caught her, tears streaming down his face. They were by the fire, but she shivered as if it were freezing outside. He held her close as she caressed his face. “I'm sorry baby,” she said, “I'm so sorry! Hold me! Don't leave me!”
All he could do was say, “I love you: I love you so much!”
She then said, “Baby, baby, I can't see!”
All the women were in tears, because they knew the end was soon. However, Ryuu thought for a moment about times in the past when a Fountain of Psyche came along. When this moment came, there was something that they did, but the knowledge had long since been lost due to the rarity of her condition. Ryuu looked at the sobbing women, and he said, “Will you stop! You act like it's over!”
With that, he went over, and saw Karin weak but whimpering. He said, “Kenta, I'm sorry, but this is out of your league.”
Ryuu then snatched her up much to the surprise of everyone there, especially Kenta. They then screamed, “What are you doing!” as he extended his fangs and bit her. Kenta tried to stop it, but Ryuu jumped up into a tree out of reach. However, he only sucked for about two seconds, and then he bit his own hand, and stuffed it in her mouth. Now everyone was quiet as they watched. Karin barely felt the drop on her tongue, but it suddenly tasted like the sweetest thing she had ever tasted. Everyone heard at first the weak sucking sounds. Suddenly, Karin's eyes shot open, and she then grabbed his hand and started to drink violently. Now everyone was stunned. Ryuu grunted, seemingly in pain, but he also looked like he was enjoying it. He then jumped down and had to practically rip his hand away. He then looked at Ruby, and said, “I'm sorry, Ruby, but you are going to have to take her mantle.”
She cocked her head as Sea Blue looked at him oddly. Ryuu said, “The talk is that you should have been a Fount yourself, but it was recessive because of Karin. However, to help her, you have to take on her mantle.”
Sea Blue said, “Don't do it! You'll be deal a lot sooner.”
Ruby had always known that the nature of the fount caused her to be the way she was, and she knew how the vampire world actually revered anything like her. It would be a sacrifice, but it would not be as bad. “Innocent,” said Ruby, “It is not the same. I will get a clean slate, and my fount will not disappear for a long time. Karin has shown that she can use her blood in her own way, and I can learn and still control my bats. She is our friend, and our fellow vampire. I must.”
Sea Blue fought for a moment, but then she knew there was nothing to be done. Ruby walked over and said, “What must I do?”
“Go to the holes I made,” said Ryuu, “and intake about a swallow of the blood. It will immediately enter your marrow, and your blood will rise, when that happens, bite Karin in those same marks, and give her an infusion, because she needs her blood supply renewed. I only have so much, and I do not intend to leave her undead.”
With that, she did as she was instructed; ducking under Karin's flailing arms that were still searching for Ryuu's hand. She took the gulp, stood up, and stiffened. She felt the internal changes and screamed. Within seconds, her blood rose, and she had the urge to release. Karin's sadness was great, and Ruby suddenly felt that there was noting more that she wanted to do but bite Karin. She planted her fangs in the same spot as Ryuu had bitten, and began to release. After about three or four minutes, she pulled out, and she felt as much pleasure as she would have when she had fed.
 
Karin was out cold, but not out of commission. In her head, she saw Ruby looking over her, smiling sweetly. “Who are you?” asked Karin.
“I am you,” she said, “and you are me.”
“I don't understand,” said Karin.
“I am Sophia,” said the girl, “and you have been rescued.”
“Now I really don't understand,” said Karin.
“Remember when Kenta spoke of me?” she asked.
“Oh yeah!” said Karin, “But he said you looked like me!”
“I look like what I need to,” she said, “and because the other fount was here, I was able to transfer. You see, the knowledge of me had been lost for so long that they forgot there was a way to rescue a fount, and that was going through the same process as making an undead, and then taking some of the blood left over from the fount used to make you pure blood. Since the practice had become forbidden at some point, the knowledge of how to rescue a fount was lost. This time, however, two founts were born, you were able to transfer me over to Ruby, and now she can continue the work until it is time for her to make the change as you. Then I shall rest until the next time I am needed. Be at peace, Karin, for now you and Kenta can be together forever. You can let him feed on your new blood, and he will still do what he can do now. You have been reborn as a full vampire now. Of course, there is no more day walking, but all your friends have gone to night living anyway, so you have lost nothing.”
Karin's face began to glow, and she said, “Anjou! Anjou, now nothing will separate us!”
“Go back, now,” said Sophia, “Your friends are waiting for you!”
 
Karin came to, and everyone was around her. She looked at Anjou, and said, “Anjou, I…”
“I know, Big Sister,” she said, “Ryuu explained everything while you were out.”
“Kenta,” she said, “I can still keep you as a g'hul, and we can be together forever!”
She grabbed Kenta and Anjou together and hugged the both of them. They were all caught in a tight embrace, and everyone was gathering himself or herself as they prepared to leave. They all began to talk about how they were going to explain this to everyone, and Ryuu said, “There is much you all need to learn about the vampire if the worlds are going to combine. It is time to go to school.”
Of course, Mimoun was hot. He was heading back to camp, knowing that he really could not act again until everyone arrived. In the meantime, he was pondering how it was that he was being defeated at every hand. How could this be? Could it be that he could be resisting things? He shook his head and strengthened his resolve. He wasn't going to give up his grip on the spirit realm that easily. “Celebrate now, fools,” he said, “Think everything is alright, because you will be crying soon!”
 
 
 
5