Karin Fan Fiction ❯ Karin's Wedding ❯ Chapter 27

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 27
 
A month had passed, and time was taken to mourn for the 40-odd casualties that fell in what would forever be known in vampire lore as the Great Bokor War. Dear friends in of both humans and vampires were lost in that fight. It was sad to see this happen, considering that, between the Great Clan Revolution and this war, small skirmishes between renegades, misguided vampire hunters, and other sour grapes, not one member had fallen. It was indeed sad, and made worse by the fact that Jean-Claude now realized that too many had taken the attitude that they could not be beaten. He now realized that their arrogance brought about a lapse in security, which allowed the enemy to know their movements, and catch them off guard. When they met for an after actions review, he admitted that this must have been the case, and as commander, he said he would accept full responsibility for the losses. He then said that this would entail him stepping down from the leadership of the Clan if they called for it. However, no one wanted to see that happen, and Victor assured him that he had not sinned so grievously. “Yes, this happened,” he assured Jean-Claude, “But many commanders in combat had made some bad decisions like this, but they kept on leading. War has an ugly learning curve, and you must learn from this, and keep on going. Let us mourn, and then let us go on. We cannot curl up now. We are on the brink of something great.”
After this, the bodies of the humans were laid to rest in that clearing, the vampire bodies having burned up. They wanted to tend to this, but the sun was close to rising, and there was no time. A memorial was erected there, with writing only the Clan, and vampires understood on it. It would ever mark the cost of reconciling the two worlds. The undead that were there were set somewhere far away, and then burned in a huge funeral pyre. Now they sat a month extant from the event, and a wedding needed to happen—the real thing this time.
 
This time, the real gowns and tuxedos were handed out. There would be no war preparations. The shrine offered itself for the wedding, even though it would be presided over by Friar Antonio. Again, Jean-Claude would be the best man, and Maki as the maid of honor. Everyone was decked out in his or her best, even the twins. Shelia was throwing out the rose petals, and Mickey was ring bearer. They looked adorable in their respective outfits, and everyone got a laugh as they waved at the witnesses as they passed by. Jean-Claude and Kenta stood at the front as he watched the twins approach. The synthesizer rack as played by one of the Bats was supplying the organ music. Maki was resplendent in her lavender gown, and she took her place. Then, Kenta's face lit up as Karin and Henry approached. Karin was radiant! Of course, this was not the only unions, for Elda and Victor, Maki and Wiener, Ai and Ryuu, and Chiyuki and Ren were all essentially man and wife. For, as we know, for vampires, it was made so, and that was that. However, Jean-Claude now wondered if he and Yuriya should have done this themselves. He looked over to her and said, “Maybe, one day, we can have a renewal of our vows, and do it right.”
“Maybe,” she answered, “But somehow, how it was that first night, I don't think I would trade it for the world!”
Maki stepped to the side as Karin and Henry faced Friar Antonio, resplendent in his best Franciscan robes. Tony then said, “Who is it that gives this woman over in holy matrimony?”
On the way up the aisle, Henry was squeezing Karin's arm a bit tightly, and she said, “Daddy, are you okay?”
“I'm losing my little girl,” he said, “He'd better take good care of you!”
She sighed, and said, “Daddy, he's also my g'hul: he can do the job! Would you stop worrying? You know by now that he's a good man.”
However, at the question the friar stated, Henry suddenly had an epiphany. He also felt very old! The question was not, “Who brings this little girl,” it was, “Who gives this woman over?”
He had to back down, and admit that his little girl was not a little girl anymore. She was a grown woman who turned out just fine, despite past difficulties. He had to let go, and what better a person to give her to than Kenta, who, despite his limitations as a human, was there for her in thick or thin, and was willing to sacrifice his own life insure her well being. A tear rolled down his cheek as he said, “I do.”
Karin saw this, smiled, pulled out a handkerchief, and dabbed up the tear as she gave him a peck on the cheek, and said, “Aw Daddy!”
She gave him a squeeze, and he took his seat beside Calera. Calera looked at him and said, “No matter how tough you think you have become, you're still a big softie!” and she gave him a light tap on the head with a slipper. However, for Jean-Claude, that statement carried impact. The question was not, “Who gives away this vampire or human,” it was, “who gives away this woman?” with no reference to who or what she was. He thought in his head, “If a man and a woman love each other, no matter what they are, nothing should hinder them. This is the way it should be.”
 
Friar Antonio then went on to talk about the institution of marriage, its importance, the partnership it was supposed to be, always based on love, supporting each other, and being a bulwark for their future progeny to rely upon in needful times. He also spoke on the importance that things like this should be permanent, and that it should be that they should always cherish one another as if there were no one else on the face of the earth with which either could be. With that said, Jean-Claude and Maki went to the instruments with the rest of the Bats, much to Karin's surprise. She had not been told that this would happen, because Kenta felt it would help express how he felt at that moment. Jean-Claude said, “This song was requested by Kenta in dedication to Karin, because he says it says what he wished he could say, but he knows that he could never find words quite as adequate as this song.”
The band all had acoustic instruments, and they broke into the song by the Seekers called I'll Never Find Another You, as sung by Anjou. It spoke of the new world that the singer wished to be in with his or her lover, holding his or her hand all the way. The singer could search the globe, and there would be no one like that person. They would be together through any trial, and there was nothing on the earth that was more valuable than their love and relationship. As they played and sang, Karin intertwined her arm into Kenta's, leaning her head on his arm, imagining him as singing the song. She whispered, “I never thought it could be like this!”
“Let's live each day like it's our last together,” said Kenta, “Because I always want to know I cherish you that much.”
 
After the song, Jean-Claude and Maki retook their places, and the couple was asked to kneel. When they did, he took a cloth specially designed for this purpose, and wrapped it around their right hands as they held them. He then said, “Kenta Usui, do you take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, forsaking all others, for richer or poorer, for better or worse, in sickness and in health, till death do you part?”
He looked Karin dead in the eyes, and said as tenderly as he could, “I do.”
Tears were streaming down Fumio's face as she smiled broadly for her son. This was the dream she had for him for a long time. The same thing was asked of Karin, and she also said, “I do.”
Then the friar asked, “If there is anyone who can give just cause as to why these two should not be wedded, let him speak now, or forever hold his peace.”
Of course, there was a customary pause to allow for such things, and that always put a bit of tension into things. However, Karin took a moment to look over her shoulder at her parents and Ren. They just looked back at her. Then, she looked over at her grandmother, who was sitting next to Yuriya, (something no one ever thought could happen.) She just gave a happy grin and a wink as she squeezed Victor's arm. Once that was done, he took off the cloth, and had the couple stand. The rings were handed over by a beaming Mickey, who felt so proud that he was to do such an important job. Shelia detected his smugness and stuck out her tongue at him, which brought a laugh from the audience. Kenta gently put the ring on her finger, and made the vows to love, honor, cherish, and protect her, that all he had was hers, until death did they part. Karin then put the ring on Kenta, and vowed to love, honor, cherish, and obey him, as well as all that Kenta said before. Friar Antonito then blessed the couple, and said, “By the power invested in me by almighty God, the Holy Church universal and triumphant, and the empire of Japan, I now pronounce you man and wife. You may now kiss the bride!”
Kenta faced Karin, lifted up the veil to a radiant woman. Her heart was racing and her face was beaming. They had kissed before, but it would be nothing like this! Maki was all excited, and Jean-Claude had a joyous grin on his face, knowing that, not only were his good friends finding their happiness, but that a barrier had been broken. His mother and father had been wed similarly to this, but it was under the shadow of something forbidden—something no one wanted. This was different. This was not only a wedding that was not being forbidden or frowned upon, but was acknowledged that it was supposed to have happened. Even though she was no longer the fount, because she had been, the “fount blood” genetically was still in her. Once Innocent found a human to settle with, she would essentially become a human with a wicked overbite, and all the vampires would be fertile forever. The children of Yuriya, Karin, and Innocent, would lead the world into a new way, and bring coexistence between humans and vampires. This kiss was a kiss for all history. They tenderly embraced, and slowly brought their lips together, doing all they could to savor the moment. Once they met, the audience erupted with cheers and applause. Once the parted, (after about two minutes,) Friar Antonio then said, “I now introduce you to Mr. and Mrs. Kenta Usui!”
They faced the audience who were now in a standing ovation. Not only was this a special moment, but a huge hurdle of reconciliation had been breached, and not even the vampires realized how great something as this could be until it happened.
 
At the reception, there was general mixing and kibitzing between everyone, with no one caring what or who one was. They were primarily all of the Clan anyway, but there were a few now being introduced to this world. One of them was Maki's mother. Ryuu had reprogrammed her mind to the point where she had always known Maki and Wiener to be vampires, and even put a bit of knowledge of that world into her mind. However, she was still becoming acquainted with this world, and she was clearly nervous. However, when some of the vampyras saw this, they took her in and started to chatter like hens as they did all they could to make her feel welcome. After they ate, D'amphile and the Bats stuck up, and they played a more contemporary set for everyone to enjoy. All the songs were about true love, starting with the couple's first dance. For that, just Jean-Claude sang to his own acoustic guitar accompaniment Annie's Song. Karin heard that, and she said, “It was you that morning!”
Jean-Claude cocked his head, but she said, “I'll tell you later,” as they began to dance. However, what many found odd was that there was more than one couple out there. It was only supposed to be the newlyweds, but when people saw the aforementioned couples take to the floor, no one questioned why. As they danced, Karin and Kenta could not take their eyes off each other, and they could not stop smiling. “I didn't know it could be this good!” said Kenta.
“It's going to be even better later!” she answered, raising one eyebrow.
“Will you have me, Mrs. Usui?” asked Kenta.
“As long as I can give you my blood,” said Karin, “I will have you, and I shall be yours for all eternity, m'lord.”
At that, they touched forehead to forehead, and continued to dance.
 
In the middle of the reception came the bouquet toss, and as fate would have it, Ruby Innocent Katiri caught it, one split second before Sea Blue could get to it. Then Kenta snapped the garter over his head, and it landed in the hand of a boy that was in the same high school as Ruby. She had started to attend school at Henry and Calera's insistence, just so she could learn to cope better in the human world, and maybe find that one boy that would do the trick. This boy was a Clansman, a human, and he was indeed interested in her, but she, not so much. Thus, her face went beat red when she was informed about what was to happen next. She sat down and raised her dress, as he had to slip the garter on her leg. Traditionally, this was supposed to represent the next to wed. It meant nothing more than a bit of embarrassment for the both of them, but the boy took the chance, and said, “So, want to go to the dance next Saturday?”
She looked at him as if he were something she wanted to scrape off the bottom of her shoe. He then said, “Okay, I'll just ask your sister!”
“Fine,” said Ruby, “Have fun!”
A sweat drop appeared on the back of his head, and he said, “Hey, there are things about me you don't know that you may like.”
“Well,” she said, “That's pretty perverted!”
“That's not what I meant!” he said, “Get your mind out of the gutter!”
Karin was amused at this sight, but, for some reason, she felt that there was something to this, and she decided to make it her point to bring them together. Then it was time for the cake. The couple took the knife and cut two pieces together. They each fed each other the cake, smearing a bit onto each other's faces, with Kenta taking the worst of it. He said, “Hey, I didn't do that to you!”
“Don't worry, honey,” she said, “It just makes your face sweeter!”, and she proceeded to lick the icing up. “I thought you couldn't taste that anymore.”
“Don't worry,” she said, “Your neck will more than make up for it later on!”
“My neck!” he said, “What does that mean?”
“Trust me,” she said, “You'll love it. Daddy told me all about the blood bond.”
“Hey, wait a minute!” he said, “Won't that vamp me out?”
“Only if I tried to drain you, and then have you drink,” she said, “Don't worry so much! Trust me; it's just the vampire way of saying, `Welcome to the family!'”
“I'm family now?” said Kenta.
“As far as I am concerned,” said Karin, “You were family the day we took you in. I just wasn't able to say that until now.”
As they went back to the table to talk some more with people she said, “Yes, darling: welcome to the family—our family!”
 
The End
 
Soon to follow, book three in this trilogy: Chibi Vampire—The Inquisition
 
 
 
4