Karin Fan Fiction ❯ Karin: The Inquisition ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Karin: The Inquisition
 
To all my supporters: thank you for reading this trilogy. I hope I made it enjoyable for you.
 
Preface
 
Well, this is it. This is the story where we bring things to their proper conclusion. I am so glad that I was able to bring things full circle, in that, although I fudged the end of the manga a touch to allow for this trilogy, I am glad that I was able to preserve the basic concept from the manga, although more expanded and with more plot twists. In this tale, we have the last piece of the puzzle to put in place, and the last obstruction to the coexistence of the two worlds to overcome. Once again, Karin, Kenta, Jean-Claude, and some of the Clan will be central, as well as Ruby Innocent Katiri, who has to overcome her own biases, and do the right thing for all her kind. In addition, you will see the twins in action, as well as two new characters that will help bring things to their logical conclusion. In addition to that, there will also be a slight crossover to the tale, as suggested by a faithful reader who goes by they name of Chris Ganale. He, in fact, had a hand in writing the chapter in which they first appear, so all the credit shall go to him for his aid. I shall leave it to the reader to guess what the crossover is, considering that it comes late in the tale, and they really only have a partial role in the story. I hope this will be as fun for you to read, as it has been an absolute blast for me to write the trilogy. However, dear reader, if the plot bunnies attack again, we may see a new series based off one of the characters close to Karin, and a whole new world to play in. We shall see how that goes. Please enjoy!
 
Have Gun, Will Travel: Wire Paladin, San Francisco, CA.
 
Prologue
 
“Blow them all out, darlings!” exclaimed Yuriya.
With the biggest puffs of breath that two four-year old children can muster, they blew out the candles. All the Markers, (with their respective spouses), and the dhampirs were there for the party in the manner. It was a beautiful spring evening, and they sat on the back porch for the party. Karin sat close to Kenta, and she was nine months gone. She had kept herself fit, so she was able to keep from ballooning out too badly. Although she had her normal mood swings, she and Kenta did not fight all that much. Kenta had proven to be a doting husband and father, in that, he always understood of Karin's needs and feelings. Whatever she said in the heat of the moment he quickly forgave, and only returned love for it. The wedding had been something special, but the first year was proving to be just as sweet. Because they had known each other for so long, there was not the normal fussing that coincides with the first year of a new marriage, during the time that most call the time “after the honeymoon had worn off.” In fact, it never really had.
 
After the reception, the close family was there as the newlyweds opened their gifts. Henry assured that all of it would be there for them when they returned from the honeymoon. They were then rushed to the place where the cruise ship would be waiting. They were going to take a cruise to Hawaii, and really seal their relationship. Of course, the cruise line was confused as to the reason why they had to board before sunrise when the trip was arranged, but a little mind manipulation made things right. The ironic thing was, that first night, they sun proofed the room, and then just lay beside each other on the bed. They kissed, held each other…, and promptly fell asleep! With all the activities that had been going on, they were exhausted, and had not even had the chance to get out of their wedding clothes, in which they passed out! Eight hours later, they were already out to sea, the sun had set, and they were starving. “Shall we walk around?” asked Kenta, “I do need to eat.”
“Oh, don't worry about that,” she said, with a glint in her eye, “We're not going anywhere tonight…well, not right away!”
With that, she picked up the phone, ordered some food, (and the kitchen could not understand why they asked for breakfast food,) and she told him, “Just get out of the monkey suit, would you?”
She then grabbed a small bag and went into the bathroom. He put on his sleep pants and bathrobe, and room service arrived. Kenta took it in, and realized two things: there was only enough there for one, and it was on a bed tray. “Is it here?” she asked in a muffled tone through the door.
“Yes it is,” said Kenta, and with that, the door opened, and Kenta's tongue rolled across the floor. Standing there, looking like someone who stepped right out of a Victoria's Secret magazine, wearing a sheer silk robe, was Karin. She smirked, and said, “Take off the robe and get in bed!”
He shook himself, and then did as he was bidden. She then sauntered her way over to the tray one hip at a time, and then swayed her way back to Kenta, setting the tray in front of him. She then slipped beside him, and started literally to feed him his breakfast. Often, a morsel was followed up with a peck or kiss once Kenta had swallowed. He was getting frisky, but Karin said, teasingly, “Naughty, naughty, little boy: you must eat it all up first!”
As he took the last morsel, Karin stood up and removed the robe; she took away the tray and lay across him. As they got closer, their tones hushed, and he asked her, “What about you, aren't you hungry?”
“Don't worry, darling,” she said, “Breakfast is coming!”
At the climactic point of the consummation of their wedding vows, Karin rolled Kenta onto his back, formed a claw nail, put a cut on her neck, extended her fangs, and said, “Drink deeply, darling!”
With that, she plunged in her fangs and began to drink, and drink violently. However, Kenta did nothing. After a couple of slurps, she pulled out, plugged the holes with her fingers, and said, “Drink, please, or else you won't be able to function tonight.”
He was not unfamiliar with drinking, considering that this was the only way now to have g'hul powers. She was a normal vampire now, and she did not give infusions. She then wrapped her lips on is neck again, and continued the act and drinking, as Kenta joined her. Suddenly, what was bliss before was a sensation that put Kenta into orbit. Henry and Calera knew that the blood bond was a normal ritual with two vampires that helped to bind them together forever, but they did not know how this would go with a human. They need not have worried! It added the extra slice of “wow” to the whole experience, especially at the ultimate moment. Even after that moment, (which came quickly after they engaged each other's necks,) they drank. After five minutes, Karin pulled out, on top of the world. Kenta napped soundly beside her as she snuggled. She knew that he was going to be a ball of energy later, and that this may end up being repeated later. There was blood on the sheets in a couple of places, and Karin was healing herself up. I hope that the maids would not ask many questions. She kissed him as she decided to freshen up. Fifteen minutes later, Kenta awoke to the sounds of the start of a shower. He was bloody on his chest and back, he decided to join her, and they enjoyed their showers very much. After that, they took part in some of the activities and generally wandered the ship in silence, enjoying each other's presence. They eventually went to the stern, intertwined, the two becoming one. Then Karin, “Shift the blood to replenish what I took.”
“Is that normal?” said Karin.
“Are you kidding?” asked Karin, “That's the best part!”
Kenta then knew that getting enough blood to be her g'hul would never be an issue. She could also have the occasional meal without leaving the house, and never run out of blood. Not only was it ecstasy, it was convenient! They stood silent for another minute, and then Kenta said, “Then that settles it!”
“Settles what, baby?” asked Karin.
“I know now for a fact that there could be no other woman for me,” said Kenta, “because no woman could do what you do for me in so many different ways!”
Karin started to hug him as if she were literally trying to merge with his body. She smiled and whispered, “Let's just go back to the room!”
He then swept her off her feet, but he did not take her back to the room. By this time, it was two A.M., and Kenta took her up to the deck where the pool was. It was deserted, so he knew that this would be no problem. He stripped down and took a swim. She could not believe his candor, and he said, “What are you waiting for? No one's coming, and you know they are all in bed.”
She began to laugh, quickly stripped, and dove in. After some frolicking, he took her over to the hot tub…
 
Now, here they sat, nine months later, and Kenta knew she was close. In fact, before the twins blew out the candles, she gave a groan, and Kenta immediately started his watch. As the twins were opening their gifts, she groaned again. He stopped the watch, and he said, “Twelve minutes.”
Everyone stopped, and then began to smile. Quickly, Kenta swept her up and got her back to their own house on the property. Elda went in with her and Kenta, considering that she had done her share of midwife work over the centuries. Despite that, they still called a vampire doctor to the house in case there were any complications. Everyone went to the house with them, and the twins did not understand why they suddenly had to stop opening gifts. Yuriya then said, “Karin's about to have the baby!”
Shelia then said, “So, she gets a birthday gift too?”
Everyone erupted in laughter, considering just how dead on the money and appropriate the statement was. After about three hours, there was a scream, and the crying of a baby. Then it settled down, and there was the muffled sound of coddling words, and the announcement of, “Okay, you can come in now!”
Kenta was lying beside his wife, caressing her hair, as Karin held her swaddled child in her arms, tired, disheveled, but beaming nonetheless. “It's a girl,” said Kenta, “Her name is Kannon.”
Everyone applauded as all the adults got a chance to hold the child, with the twins having the chance to get a close look at their new cousin. They gave her back to Karin, and she said, “Welcome to the family!”
 
Chapter 1
 
Four years had passed since that time. The twins were now eight years old, but they had fully awakened. However, due to what they were, they both could walk in sunlight, and were going to school. Mom and Dad were teaching them how to use their abilities, yet, in training them, they were able to learn far quicker than normal vampires. Jean-Claude did all he could to insure that they also had the love for the individual as he had, and explained all about why they were the way they were, what it meant, and with great power comes great responsibility. He taught them to learn to conquer themselves, because, by doing so, you learn your own frailties, and learn to have empathy for the weakness of others. As a result, they became more mature for their age than their peers, and they became natural leaders at school. Jean-Claude had taught them to fight, and they were quite good. In fact, in whatever school they attended, there was never a problem with bullies. Mickey, in fact, was part vigilante, who went looking for the bullies, insuring that they knew their ways of extortion were not welcome. Shelia was the same way, in that, she was always there to help the ugly duckling girls feel special and wanted, thrashing any girl that meant harm to them. When it came to that, she had no mercy, even if a girl started to cry, just to avoid a justified walloping. Normally, it only took one fight for each in the beginning of the year to get the point across. If it was that bad, and the bully was stuck on stupid, they would wait. They were feeding now; but being Golconda, they only had to once a month like their parents. What was even more interesting was the fact that they had no one blood preference: everyone was fair game. This worked well with the bullies when that time came. They would isolate the bully, feed, wipe their minds, but also remove the want to bully. At first, they were worried that dad would be mad, but all he said to them was, “Well, it looks like the apple didn't fall too far from the tree!”
Kannon was not quite awakened yet, being only four years old, but she loved her daddy, and loved to steal kisses from her father whenever she could. Although there was a four year difference between them, the twins would often entertain her, due to the mutual bond they held. Because Kannon would be as they, they doted over her and insured her safety as much as they could, showing her as much love as they could. They were even helping her hone her skills. She could do what they could at three years old, and they realized that they could give her what they could not get at that age, because no one knew what they were at the time. There was a tight bond forming, and now Jean-Claude's thoughts turned to Ruby Innocent.
 
She had finished high school, but had not pursued college. She also was spurning every relationship that a human boy wanted, and that was worrisome. She had always been a bit of a recluse, and her now being the Fount of Psyche was a burden. It was not the fact that she was this, but it was that she was being pushed into a relationship with a human. It is not that she would never, but it was the fact that this was being pushed on her that caused her to push back. Not even Sea Blue Innocent, her sister, could make her change. At one time, this would have been unheard of in the vampire world. Now, it was quite the opposite, now that everyone knew what the union would mean. Now it was being encouraged—almost forced. However, one boy still pursued her ever since he met her at Karin's wedding. Hondo Yoshida was a fit, athletic, and handsome young man. He could sing, dance ballet, and yet he was a killer on the Rugby pitch and basketball court. He stood about 5' 10”, and weighed about 220 lbs. Despite all that he had going for him, he was unique. He seemed to be a real Renaissance man—and individualist. Since he was a Clansman, Jean-Claude knew him well, and felt he had a kindred spirit in Hondo. He also knew something about him that few did, and because of what that was, Jean-Claude kept it secret for his own good. He also knew that this big-hearted man would be the perfect match, but Ruby just would not get it. One night, during a Clan activity, when business was finished and socializing was taking place, he tried to play for her again, and she told him, “I don't care if you were the last human on earth, get it out of your head, because it isn't going to happen!”
She snuffed turned on her heel to walk away, and in a few steps, bumped right into Jean-Claude and Yuriya. He was cross, and Yuriya said, “Honey, turn down that nose of yours—you're going to drown the next time it rains!”
She glared at them, huffed, and stormed off. All the couple could do was shake their heads.
 
Anjou was 21 by this point, and quite a lovely sight, and quite married to Francois. After they wed, Francois said that he wanted to spend some time in the old country, considering that it was no longer a danger to be there. Once there, they decided to attend the University of Paris, (night classes, of course,) merely for something to do. It later became beneficial, because they were able to meet the vampire population there and begin to network. After about a month there, a letter to Maki encouraged Maki and Wiener to pull up roots, move to Paris, and attend college as well. Jean-Claude thought it a great idea, and sponsored them while there. Although D'amphile and the Bats were no more, he was glad that they all had the chance to pursue their dreams. In fact, Jean-Claude was encouraged that it was four Clansmen that were there, so that they could try to spread the dream. The Clan was now 700 strong at this point, and in two factions: a civilian group, and a combat unit of about 300. They were the ones to help insure the safety of the Clan, and all who resided inside their borders. They were spread all throughout Tokyo now, and a few small towns around the city. There would be the day that they would be so big that they could not hide themselves anymore. It was also hoped that, by that time, enough humans would have been educated on vampires to be able to accept them into the world. It was told to him that his children, Kannon, and the child of Innocent would play a great hand in this, although how that would be was yet to be imagined. As it was in Japan, Jean-Claude knew that Paris was also a fantastic place for the dream to grow. Word indeed had spread through the vampire world what was happening in Japan, and word about what the true intent of the fount was. At first, they were reluctant to believe that there was to be coexistence between the two worlds, but they saw the progress in Japan, how much the world was shrinking, and the vast majority was forced to believe that it was to happen. They still were observing before setting up anything like in Japan, just to be sure that the system there could be a model on down the line. Yet, the vampires were not the only ones observing.
 
Leo sat in his private shrine, kneeling at the altar. His mind was focused on the things he learned were happening all around the world within his sworn foes. He could not stand the fact that there were humans and vampires anywhere on the earth that would try to intermix and socialize. It was even worse when word came to him that two half-breed abominations had reproduced, a human wed a vampire, and birthed another abomination. When rumors began to spread that there was an actual movement in Japan trying to bridge the gap, and becoming stronger. The Inquisition was at a loss as what to do.
 
The actual Inquisition had long ago been outlawed. Despite that, there were those that did not want to see it go, and they decided to keep it up. By this point, their focus was on vampires. They had captured many people and executed them after some long torture, yet, it was not certain if they were actually vampires or not. Then came the discovery of a half-breed in 1809, and the Sinclair family led the charge in the purge that took place. They had indeed captured and killed some vampires, but enough innocent people were also killed in the process that the Roman Catholic Church had to say something. They had already outlawed the Inquisition, and they did not like the fact that there were still those acting in the name of the Church when they were not approved, and were killing innocents as if they were God Himself. After the Jesuits investigated all those involved, they marked the families that were involved, excommunicated them, and officially put their movement on the Index. Although the Sinclairs were long gone from the group, they took the Inquisition underground, and have been hunting and killing vampires ever since. However, something was happening that frightened them. They feared that all was for naught. They did not want to see the human being corrupted with these animals, and they now felt it their duty to purify the humans. In truth, what was unspoken was the fear that, if this movement gained enough momentum, they would be hunted down and killed for their actions. Thus, self-preservation was rearing, and they now felt they had to act. Leo Genoble, who now led the group, was now meditating his next move, and awaiting word from his spies. A knock came at the door, and Leo said, “Entre!”
“Forgive the intrusion, sir,” said the man, “but I have the report.”
Leo stood and went to him, and they sat at a table. “So, what do you have,” said Leo.
“First, I have information on Tokyo,” said the man, “Here is the one in charge.”
He showed a photograph of Jean-Claude and his family. He then said, “He is the leader of a large militant group of humans and vampires they call the Clan. The couple is both abominations.”
“How is it they have children,” he asked, “That was not supposed to happen.”
“It was because of this girl,” said the spy, and he handed over a picture of the Usuis. “The male is a human, and the child is their offspring.”
“More abominations!' he thundered, “Doesn't he know what he is creating? How was she responsible?”
“At one time,” said the spy, “she was known as the Fountain of Psyche, said to come along once every millennium, to aid the vampires when there is a drop in fertility. Somehow, for the first time in their history, the mantle was handed off. Yet, whatever the case, there must be some truth to it, or else the two children in the other picture would not have existed. Here is a picture of the one they now call Psyche.”
He handed over a picture of Ruby, and the spy said, “The fount is almost human, save for the fangs. They must release blood every month, and they are supposed to do it into infertile vampires so that they can breed. However, there is another matter.”
“What's that?” asked Leo.
“They believe that the abomination here,” said the spy, “the two…whatever they are…and any offspring by Psyche and a human would permanently fertilize the vampires, and would help lead the earth into a new era of human/vampire coexistence.”
“They are all fools!” shouted Leo, “We must put a stop to this at once.”
“Ah, but it gets better, sir,” said the spy.
“Explain,” Leo demanded.
“Rumors have it that the sister of the former Psyche is attending college here in Paris with her husband, and two other vampires,” announced the spy.
“That is a laugh,” said Leo, “That's obvious a ruse to feed on, murder, and corrupt humans!”
Leo thought for a moment, and then said, “I like the way you think! We capture them, and use them for blackmail against the others!”
“Exactly, sir,” said the spy, “We get them to give over the children, and the so-called fount in exchange for the other four…and then kill them all anyway!”
They both laughed at the wisdom of their idea, and then the spy asked, “What about the two half-breeds?”
“As far as I am concerned,” said Leo, “They now both have an official death sentence. Any member of the Inquisition that finds them isolated is to kill them immediately, with no questions asked.”
“Then let us put an end to this madness,” said the spy, “The fate and the good of the human race are at stake, and we have to make them aware of the danger. Those monsters shall not destroy the purity of the race!”
Leo thumped his fist on the table in agreement, looked at Jean-Claude's photo, and said, “Abomination, your vain dream ends now!”
 
 
 
5