Karin Fan Fiction ❯ Karin: The Inquisition ❯ Chapter 20

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 20
 
The base in Rio was set outside the city in a wooded area. They had received the report about what awaited, and they were able to determine that there was no way to get through by the top as there was in Portland. This would be a problem. They sat in the heights over looking the base in Rio, and they were unsure of how to get in. In fact, there were no real defensive positions, and there was only the front door. Kicking in the door and announcing themselves was not exactly the wisest way of doing things, and they were stuck. Gilbert finally said, “They have to have some kind of ventilation system in there. They fairly well cut themselves into the hillside, so they have to have some kind of way to get the air in other than the front.”
Hondo said for Wiener to stay back as he and Gilbert went out to scout the area around the hill. They stayed to the trees, considering that they did not want to take a chance of there being any ground cameras that would detect their movement. Finally, when they had almost made their way around, they found some air conditioning units rig to run quiet, and hidden behind the brush. There were also some exhaust vents for the kitchen. They then figured that they could work with this, and got the others. After some discussion, Wiener said that they could stuff the kitchen exhaust closed, and kill the AC units. If they were cooking, then it was so much the better. What was hoped was that they would open the front to come up and investigate, take those men out, and then sweep in. However, Hondo said he remembered an old Vietnamese proverb: if one wishes to know how strong the tiger was, you would have to lure him out of his cave. Gilbert thought that interesting, and asked what the intent was. Hondo then said, “Why go in at all? Take a few of them, let them become curious about their colleagues, let them come out, take a few more, and when they begin to suspect something, the rest will come out, and we can jump them then. That is what they would least likely expect.”
Wiener said, “If you were not Japanese, I would swear you were a German. It is fast, efficient, and the simplest, easiest solution.”
They all agreed and went to retrieve plants and large leaves for the vents.
 
Inside, they were going to 75% security so that some could go and prepare supper. They would then rotate some people through, and keep as much security going as they could while they fed. As they started to get some things together for preparing the evening meal, everyone began to feel warmer and warmer. They started to swig down water more and more as they mopped their brows. Finally, one of them went up to the ducts and noticed that there was no air flowing out. “Frank,” one hollered, “The AC is out!”
Frank, who did the maintenance, sighed, and said, “Check the breaker and the switches.”
They were checked, and there was now no reason why the air would not be working. Frank was angry that he would have to go out and get all messed up before supper. He went to the parts closet and retrieved some drive belts, thinking that it could be that—a very common problem. He had about two others to come to help provide aid in the repair, and maybe protection just in case. They were let out, and the door was closed behind them as they went up to where the units sat. They approached the units, and Frank took a good look. What he realized was that all the switches were off. There was nothing wrong at all. He sighed in relief, thankful that he would not have to fix them, and all that he would have to do is turn them on. However, as he went for the switch, he began to have this sickening feeling. How did they get switched off in the first place? He swung around to find his friends were not there. It was the last thing he would see. The last thought that would run through his head was, “My neck feels funny…”
Hondo came up as quiet as a mouse and slit his throat before he realized that he was being attacked. Oddly enough, all it would feel like was something cool was run across his neck, and then confusion as to why he could not breathe. He would quickly lose consciousness after that, as he did, and he fell to the ground dead. Hondo dragged off his body into the brush while they awaited someone else to investigate.
 
While all this was going on, the cooking was going on, and the kitchen was becoming real warm. Soon, the kitchen began to fill with smoke as the grill was doing its thing. They could not understand why the smoke was not being drawn out, and they quickly got the meat off the grill and staggered out into the hall, coughing and wheezing. Some were wondering what was going on, while others were wondering what was taking Frank so long to fix things. Three more were sent out, but more with a mission to see if there was trouble. The three went out with automatic weapons this time, and in more of a secure state, looking for problems. They soon found their way up to the units, and nothing seemed out of place: no sign of a struggle, no footprints, not even a dropped weapon or tool. Wiener saw one of them pull out a radio and call back into the base. He used a sign language to indicate, “Take them now, the rest will come out!”
Hondo signaled, “Throwing stars, now!”
The seven there pulled up three stars each and flung them in quick succession. They all found seven stars imbedded in their bodies, many finding their chests. The seven then moved in and finished them before they could do anything. Gilbert took four above a rise over the door to the other side as the three remaining set up on the other. Before they did, they knocked out the cameras. They wanted attention now, but they did not want them to know what was outside. They then heard muffled yelling and orders being given. There were only six of them left now in a fighting posture, and they were all pounced on from behind. They found themselves disarmed quickly, and then they found tonto swords in very unpleasant locations. One of them was a vampire's blood preference, and he decided to add insult to injury as he fed lustfully before he took his head. He let out a roar of pleasure as the endorphins in that blood mixed with his own, setting him on top of the world. Once this was done, the bodies were dragged back inside, and they began to go at their leisure through the records and rooms to find out what they could. However, Wiener found one room that they wish that they had not, and found himself quickly engaged with the last man of the compound. It was a torture room, filled with some of the worst information extraction devices known to man. Strapped to one of them was a local vampire who looked close to torpor, and he was in a semi-feral state. The man inside started to move in a certain way, and he was shocked that this vampire had the ability to anticipate his movements. However, this vampire was once a human—a hunter in fact—and he was well versed in hunter tactics, being the match for this man. He went for a pistol, but a dagger found its way into his hand, and that was followed by Wiener. The man said, “You were a hunter!” realizing the way Wiener fought, and then screamed, “Traitor!” as Wiener started to loose the vampire. Wiener said, “Not traitor, enlightened!”
Just as he loosed the other strap, he moved on the man, knowing that the vampire was going to feed on the first target that presented itself. By this point, the man had extracted the knife and was going at Wiener left handed, considering the state of his right. That was all that Wiener needed. He may not have studied Ninjitsu as the others, but he knew how to fight from his time in Japan, studying Aikido, combining it with the boxing and wrestling that his grandfather had taught him, as well as his hunting skills. Combine that with vampiric abilities, and he was a force with which to be reckoned. When the man thrust the knife, he caught the man with an arm drag take down, and flung him at the vampire. The vampire saw what had landed, and pounced on him with the efficiency of a rattlesnake, striking like lightning. The man screamed, and then sat silent as the starved vampire fed with relish. He was so hungry; he ended up draining the man which was, in reality, rare for the vampire world. Wiener looked at this man in disgust, looking around the room at the devices, thanking God that he was no longer a part of something as horrific as this. “No one deserves to die like this—human or vampire!”
Once they had gathered what they needed, they left, closing the doors, hoping it would be a long time before anyone knew what had happened.
 
Two hours later, a more intricate operation was taking place. Using a blind spot in the defenses, they made their way to the top of the compound, the cameras being fouled by Anjou's bats, (guano does wonders!) The vent was just big enough for Jean-Claude, which meant that everyone else could fit. Everyone was in ninja gear, except for Jean-Claude, who preferred his own hunting clothes, but did forgo the combat boots and went for the ninja shoes for silence sake. Jean-Claude went first, considering that he could take more abuse if they were caught, and he was strong enough to bear them up if someone slipped. They went in head first, knowing that they would have to crawl on their bellies when the line leveled out. Indeed, this was not a job for someone who was claustrophobic. For Karin and Kenta, this was a new experience. They never thought in their wildest dreams that they would be doing this—a housewife and an engineer turned ninja. Karin kept her cool, but inside, she was scared to death! She kept running through her head, “What in the name of common sense was I thinking.”
Anjou, on the other hand, was all businesslike. This was for Francois, and everyone of the illigitimi were going to pay dearly for every drop of his blood they shed. She felt even better with Vincent right behind her. He was the one almost chopped in half, but he had now been reeducated, and loved Jean-Claude dearly, as he also began to feel great feelings for Anjou. He shared Jean-Claude's sentiments, and he swore something similar that Jean-Claude had done during the Great Clan Revolution: if even one hair on her head was displaced by the foe, then what he would do to them would be legendary—even in Hell! They inched their way down, taking their time, pressing against the walls as silently as possible. When they got to the bottom, Jean-Claude did a handstand, pressed his belly against the wall, and slipped in like a snake. Everyone else followed suit. Jean-Claude estimated the length of each panel, and then recalled the distance they would have to crawl. Once he calculated things, he began to keep count of the panels as they went. The entire crew was either vampire-like or empowered as such, so the dark was not a problem. Finally, Jean-Claude stopped, and then found the panel he wanted. However, just up ahead he saw some light, and found a vent. He inched up, looked through, and seeing it clear, took out his Leatherman and pulled out the pliers. He then began to unscrew the vent with the pliers from his side. Once he had it out far enough, he then reached in the pliers to the other side of the metal and finished the job. He then pulled in the screen and set it in front of him. Quickly, he was out and on the ground. He had his saber out quickly in his left hand, and a Colt .45 automatic in the other. He swiftly moved into a defensive position as the others came out and drew swords and pistols as well. (Even a modern ninja knows that you never bring a knife to a gunfight!) Karin had been able to kill before, but only when she had been enraged enough. This was different. She looked at the sword and pistol, and stared for a few moments. Jean-Claude looked over at her, glared, and shook his head, as if to say, “There is no turning back now: do what you must, and do not hesitate. We do not have time for this.”
With that, they opened the door, looked for cameras, and finding none, slipped out into the hallway quickly. Karin and Anjou were sent north, Kenta and Vincent were sent east, the two remaining were sent south as Jean-Claude went west. They were all at their positions, and were not expecting an attack from the rear. Before they went, Jean-Claude whispered, “Look out for cameras. If it looks like they are unaware of your approach, just shoot them—shoot to kill. There is no reason to fight them if they do not know what is about to hit them. NO HESITATION, KARIN—THAT IS HOW YOU WILL WIND UP DEAD!”
She took the note, and everyone went. Anjou knew she had to keep an eye on her sister, lest she do something stupid.
 
At the perimeters, the men were keeping a lookout, but were having small conversations. It was not enough to distract them from their tasks, but it was enough to prevent boredom. When each team reached the perimeter, they saw ladders that led up to the gun positions. They all resheathed their swords, and used their free hands to aid in the climb. There were about three in each position, which spelled out the entire compliment in the compound. They then realized that, when they got up there, they would be shooting point blank—in other words, none of them stood a chance! Those in pairs climbed up one side of the ladder or another, and saw about three feet between the edge and the back of their boots. Karin's heart was in her throat, and her heart was pumping. Anjou shook her head the same way that Jean-Claude had done, and then nodded towards the men. They both steadied themselves, but Karin's gun hand was trembling. Anjou paid it no mind, considering that, as close as they were, in she missed, the rocks around would ricochet back into the targets anyway. With a nod, Anjou pointed and began to fire. Karin did the same, screaming as she went, emptying her clip. Anjou was more controlled, and dropped a round in each one. Between the two of them, neither man would come out alive. The others were just leveling their pistols as they heard the shots. The men stiffened and started to turn around, and that would be the last action they would ever take. However, Jean-Claude had not been able to get into position, because he had a camera to deal with first. Although all the men were in position, at least one position had to have a monitor, so he had to be careful. However when the gunfire started, Jean-Claude made himself small in a doorway near the ladder. Two of them went down to investigate, and as soon as they hit the floor, Jean-Claude tackled them, ripped the Browning automatic rifle from one man's hands, and he pumped them full of lead. He did not know if they were wearing body armor or not, but he was not going to take a chance and let them to their feet if he could. The other was turning around and began to aim his weapon, but Jean-Claude caught this, and finished him as well. The others heard the automatic fire, and rushed to see if there was a problem. They arrived back in time, (except for Karin,) to find Jean-Claude with the Browning in his hand, wielding it as if it was a .22. “Is it done?” he asked.
“First objective is complete, sir,” said Vincent.
“Where's Karin,” asked Jean-Claude.
His answer came when he spied Karin walking down the hall with a blank expression on her face, her hand squeezed tight to her now empty pistol. She was mumbling, “I just pulled the trigger, and three men are dead.”
He saw that she was a bit rattled on her first confirmed kills that she had ever done while in a rational state of mind, but he also knew that was normal. He went up to her and said, “Hey, it's alright. This is a worthy and just fight. If that is the case, and now that you have done it, killing is just like drinking water.”
“How can you look at it like that,” asked Karin.
“It's simple: all murder is killing, but not all killing is murder,” he responded, “If it is to execute judgment, then it is not murder. You did what needed to be done. Even in this, taking a life is not a light matter. However, you just have to have the right focus. For me, all I do is this: I think of my family, and the dream, and what could be lost, and the rest is easy.”
“It doesn't make this any easier,” said Karin.
“I know,” said Jean-Claude, “And you should never enjoy this. However, you have to put that aside to do what needs to be done in some cases, and this is one of them. Just think of Kannon, and what she means to you, and what could happen if these jerks get a hold of her. Remember how mad you got when you learned some were trying to corrupt her?”
“Of course,” she answered.
“Keep that in mind,” he said, “and the rest falls into place.”
On that note, he then told them, “Okay, let's get what intelligence we can and get out of here. I am certain the authorities know nothing of this place, and the cougars and bears will have taken care of them long before anyone knows. Let's go: after action reviews when we get back to Bangor.”
 
Back in Bangor, the twins and Yuriya were breaking contact. Yuriya wanted to make sure her husband was okay, and she had a bit of a scare at first. However, she always marveled at her husband's efficiency, and he made it look more like they were watching an action film rather than real life. It was at that point that they did have to remind themselves that this was real life, and not to enjoy it too much. After observing two hits go down without a hitch, they were all exhausted. They would go to bed early, and eagerly await their return by Sunday night, or Monday morning. However, Sheila said she had to deliver a message, and she would be right back. The first place she stopped was at Richard's den, and she informed them that all three went down flawlessly, much to his glee. She then went to see Innocent. She knocked on the door, and Innocent was preparing to bed herself. “Oh, Konichiwa, Sheila—what can I do for you?”
Sheila merely smiled, and Innocent knew what that meant. “Is it done, is he okay?” she asked.
“They should be back by Sunday night or Monday morning,” answered Sheila, “You should be proud of Hondo—he did all things well.”
Innocent rushed up and hugged Sheila for the great news. “Thank you, child, thank you,” she said joyfully, and Sheila said, “You really do care for him, don't you?”
“I have loved him since I first knew him,” she said, “I have been such a fool for pushing him aside!”
She then thought for a moment, and then went to get some paper and wrote a short note and folded it. She then gave it to Sheila and said, “Take this to Richard, and no fair peeking!” as she smiled.
She left, but she went so far down, and curiosity got the better of her, and she read the letter. She squealed with glee, and danced her way to Richard's office. She then thought that Hondo had better be ready—his life was about to change.
 
 
 
4