Karin Fan Fiction ❯ Karin: The Inquisition ❯ Chapter 28

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 28
 
Jean-Claude was stunned on the amount of information. Because they had the aid of NAS as Clansmen, they even knew all about what sits on what the Clan call Marker Hill. They knew everything: school grades, when Anjou awoke, when James Marker died, layout of rooms, medical records for those that pertained, and they were even able to go as far as to trace Yuriya's family history all the way back to the purge in Europe. “Of course, because of that purge, the trail stopped, but it was an interesting history.”
Jean-Claude, forgetting what they were talking about, said, “My wife would kiss you if you would give that information to her.”
“Technically, that information is classified,” responded Yuuna, “but considering that it is going to be in the hands of the one studied, I think we can bend the rules a bit.”
Hiryuu then said, “What makes us worry a touch is the power that your children wield.”
“That is easy to explain,” answered Jean-Claude, “This is because, a long time ago, it was ordained that there would eventually be a coexistence between our two worlds, and it all centered on the Fount of Psyche. The fount is…”
“Save your breath,” said Yuuna, “We know all about the fount.”
“Well, what you may not know,” responded Jean-Claude, “is that the fount was supposed to give birth to a child that would lead the way into the coexistence. However, because of certain complications that I am sure you already know about, there are to be four children for this purpose: three are, and one is yet to come.”
“What exactly do you mean by `coexistence?'” asked Hartley.
“In other words, this will be a world where we can all live together as one world in peace,” answered Jean-Claude.
“Would they be ruling it?” asked Hiryuu.
“No,” Jean-Claude answered quickly, “But they may well rule the vampires, and bring about a way that we can come out in to the open and do so without war and bloodshed. There may be the pocket or two of resistance, but for the most part, it will happen. There will be a unifying of the vampires in such a fashion as has never been seen before amongst our kind. It will no longer be `every vampire for himself,' but a unity. This, we feel, will be because, by the time all four are old enough to do this, the Clan will have grown so big as to facilitate easier the joining of the worlds.”
“In other words, so many humans will have been allied with you secretly, that the joining will seem natural?” asked Yuuna.
“That is about the size of it,” answered Jean-Claude.
“One thing we found odd,” said Hartley, “was how there is about a five year gap in your life. In truth, the town chamber of commerce became curious when you vanished from the school system, and when they went to investigate, they found the house, but no bodies. The only one they found was your grandfather, and they buried him in Arlington with full honors.”
The look on Jean-Claude's face went serious—not angry, but of a surprise that had a mix of emotions. Hiryuu saw this, and said quietly, “Was this the first you heard this?”
Jean-Claude took a moment to wipe a tear and said, “Yes it is.”
The Cleric Team suddenly looked sad, and also began to relax a bit more when they realized even more now that they were not dealing with a threat any longer. “I apologize,” said Yuuna, “We did not know.”
Jean-Claude waved it off, and said, “I am just glad they did not stick him in any old place. He was a Vietnam vet, and he had buddies that died there. I am glad he could be with them again.”
Hartley then resumed, and said, “Well, they could not find the three of you, and all three were presumed dead, until you emerged at the age of 15, and returned to society. What the school system was told was that you had been in Canada, and for some reason, word never came back that you were alive. Since it was such a small area in which you lived, no questions were asked. Fortunately, you were able to gain the inheritance, I assume?”
“Mom had been around for a while,” said Jean-Claude, “And she amassed quite a bit of wealth. The interest off the investments alone is making me rich. In fact, what I cannot spend goes right back into investments, and that makes the core bigger, the interest bigger, and the cycle continues. I assure you, neither I, or my grandchildren, are going to want for anything.”
“What happened those five years?” asked Hiryuu, “Where were you all that time?”
“I was living in the woods of New Hampshire, being raised and trained by seven very old vampires,” said Jean-Claude, “And they trained me to be an avenger.”
Jean-Claude then went into detail about all that had happened up to what Cleric Team had been given, and he said, “That's it. I guess you know all about me now. Am I still a possible foe?”
Hartley rubbed his chin, and then smiled, and said, “I don't think you ever were. If you were really that much of a threat, well, you had eight years from the formation of the Clan to now to make waves if you had really wanted.”
“Then, I suppose we can work together, maybe?” asked Jean-Claude, as he extended a hand.
Hartley quickly took it, and Jean-Claude said, “Oorah!”
“What is next?” asked Yuuna.
“Well, we need more time to plan it,” said Jean-Claude, “but let's take a look at the information they have here on their main North American base, and see what we can learn. If we need more time, you can meet us back on the University of Maine campus, at the Bear's Den, and we can discuss the matter.”
“Sounds good,” said Hartley, “Then let's get to it!”
 
As all this was going on, Anjou looked a Karin, and said, “What did the book tell you?”
“I read as much as I could,” said Karin, “Believe me, I did not know whether to laugh or throw up.”
“Did you read the last part?” asked Anjou, “The last chapter was entitled `Why We Fight.'”
Karin thought for a moment, and realized that this could yield some important things, so she picked the book up again, and went to that section. As she read, she arrived at something that caused her blood to boil. It read, “So, why DO we fight? There are some that would say, `But they are people too—in a sense—can't they make judgments like us? Don't they have families, friends, and lives? Why not just leave them alone? They've been around long enough, and nothing has happened.'
The answer is simple. One has to understand that a very dark force created them. They are inherently evil, although many fight against that nature. Even if that is the case, one may leave well enough alone. However, some things must be acknowledged. First of all, no matter how hard a vampire fights it, the longer they live, and the more they feed on humans like predatory animals, the more their humanity shall slip from them. By some point, they become bloodthirsty killers, concerned only for the consumption for blood. Normally, even this we would have let go, because, as a result of this subhuman mindset, they cull themselves to the point where they would never reach large enough numbers to become a force with which to be reckoned. However, if there were one to come and lead them, organize them, then there is no telling what may happen. You may ask how this is so. Well, if you recall, we spoke of the dhampir earlier. A creature like that, though an abomination, is one that is able to retain large amounts of humanity, and enough so, that one wise and powerful enough may be able to rally the vampires together, and lead a revolution against mankind once their numbers are up enough. This is why when one is discovered, it is to be killed as soon as possible, and all the vampires around him, lest they gain delusions of grandeur, and try to gain revenge. Fortunately, there have been enough vampires thus far that have also seen the dhampir as an anomaly that needs to be destroyed once found, and thus, no such thing has had a chance to arise. However, at the writing of this book, there has been word coming in from Japan that such a dhampir has emerged. We know little about him as yet, but he has gone as far as to begin to befriend humans, introduce them to the vampire world, and make allies out of them. This is very dangerous because, if enough humans are deceived into helping it, it could also cause a civil war amongst the humans to the point of all-out war. Many would die in either defense of, or war against, vampires. This would make it easier for the now organized and rallied vampires to then enslave humans to the point where we would be nothing more than cattle to them. The status quo must be preserved, humans must be on top, and therefore, to prevent this from happening at all, the vampire must be exterminated from the face of the earth. It is the only way to ensure peace, and to ensure the superior race dominates the earth forever.”
Karin stood straight up and slammed the book to the table. “BAKA!” she thundered, and now everyone was looking at her. Jean-Claude looked at her, and she said, “Bro, you need to read that!”
 
After Karin told her what it was, he told her that he would read it once he had the chance, and put it into his trench coat. Once done, he went back to the maps. The biggest problem they were having had been figuring out how to get in, and what was in there. There was no intelligence on this, except it lies underneath the battlefield where the final defense of Quebec took place during the French and Indian war. Hartley then said, “Don't worry about it. We can have enough of the Company on this, working with Canadian intelligence to get what we need. Once we have it, we shall meet at that place you told us about and go over battle plans. In the meantime, you need to get your sleep. Don't you play for the national championship tomorrow night?”
“What about the bodies?” asked Jean-Claude.
“Leave that to Cleric Team to clean this up;” said Hiryuu, “We can make it so that no one would have ever suspected what went on here.”
 
The big game was to be against the University of Massachusetts, starting right at sundown. This worked for everyone, as now even the A-team could be out there to watch. As the first half progressed, UMass was proving a tough team to beat. They were working hard in the scrum, rucking hard, and were able to retain possession when they had to. At half time the score was 21-17 in favor of UMass. Jean-Claude looked disappointed, and McQueeny asked him what was wrong. Jean-Claude then said, “I have something I need to say to everyone.”
Once he had their attention, he then said, “Even though this was eight years ago, this has sat in the back of my mind for all this time. When I was playing on my high school's team for the all-Japan final, we fought a hard game, and we literally came within one foot of taking it all: one foot in the sense that my drop kick hit the post instead of going through, and one foot of distance, in that, that was how close to the goal line I was when the ball was taken from me, and they beat us. I don't want to go out like that again. This is for the same stakes—a national title—on a higher level. Let's go out there and stomp their heads!”
The team cheered, feeling emboldened and excited by the prospect of helping an old teammate exorcise an old ghost. McQueeny then said, “That would suck to go out like that: we avoid this by keeping our focus, staying with the play, and the pack keeping up with the ball. Do not let up for one instant, and let's leave it all out on the field.”
They then exchanged the flank forward for Andre, and put him aside Turlo, putting Jean-Claude on the flank for that extra slice of defense. With Andre, they had the extra push they needed in the scrum, and they went out to finish the game, and hopefully, in triumph.
 
For the greatest part of the second half, it was a stalemate. That did not mean that there was a lack of action, for there were several times where there were great drives on either side, but scoring was snatched away at the last second. This was facilitated by the near flawless play, and penalty free play, on both sides. Aside from the occasional knock-on, because of the hard play and rare penalty calls, there were fewer scoring chances created, and those that were had been snuffed out. Thus, the score remained 21-17 in favor of UMass, and time was running out. Yet, the thing that sat in UMaine's collective mind was the fact that UMass was letting them hang out. UMaine had not gained the lead, but UMass had not put them away either. There was now about a minute and a half left, and UMaine gained possession ten meters deep on their side of the field, and they began their assault, knowing that this might be their last chance. The ball made its way to the flanks, and it was smothered, but the pack followed the ball closely and was able to ruck it out. In the next phase, McQueeny tried a cross bomb, and the wing got about 35 meters from the goal before meeting resistance. However, before being tackled, he threw a shoulder into his man, and turned to his team. The backs there started to form a maul and hold the line until the pack arrived to bind on and take over. Even though this happened, the maul did not move, so a third phase of play began. They tried a skip, and then a scissor move, to Cheese coming on the outside, trying to find a hole. He was only ten yards from the midfield stripe on the UMass side when he was forced to offload and start another phase. Three or four times, it was stopped, but the Black Bears kept the ball. At the same spot where Cheese had to offload, the wing was hit, and he projected the ball towards his team before dropping it. The ball was now loose, and normal time had expired. If UMass got the ball, they could kick it out and end the game. It would be a bad deja-vu for Jean-Claude. This must have been on his mind when he charged for the ball. In the stand, Cleric Team was getting into the game, and those not initiated into the sport of Rugby as yet were getting an education, and thee were thoroughly enjoying the game. Meanwhile, Karin, Kenta, and Anjou were feeling the twist in their stomachs. They were seeing shades of history repeating itself and they were on the edge of their seats. When Jean-Claude saw the loose ball, he saw an opponent trying to make a play for the ball. Instead of playing the ball, Jean-Claude lid into him with all the beauty and fierceness of a defensive end blasting into the offensive line. Because they were over the ball, this immediately caused the referee to call out, “Ruck: hands out!” preventing anyone from picking it up. More opponents were challenging, but Turlo, Andre, Bulldog, and Worm all arrived at the same time, slamming into the new forming pile, helping to drive UMass back off the ball. It was quickly footed out, and picked up by McQueeny. When he saw the backs onside, he booted it deep across the field. Meister Brau fielded the ball, plowed through two people, and then offloaded to Cheese, who then found the opposing fullback riding him. However he and another back latched on too late, as he had just crossed the goal line, and he fell with them on top, and fell on the ball. The whistle blew, and then blew hard three times—the game was over! The house erupted! Even though the amount of Maine fans were small, there was enough of a neutral crowd there to recognize as brilliant effort to prevent the ball from dying, and the great power try that Cream Cheese had scored. UMaine was ecstatic. Gerbil leapt into Turlo's arm like Yogi Berra had done to Don Larson when he pitched his perfect World Series game. Others were pig piling on Cheese, as others were mobbing Andre and Jean-Claude. Cleric Team and the A-team were on the field to celebrate with them, as the University of Maine Black Bears would now be recognized as the national champions of Rugby. What made them even happier was the fact that ESPN had been there to film the game to air later that week, but they told the team that they would all get copies right away. Jean-Claude was glad that he could show it to everyone else when they returned home.
 
Cleric Team went back to the cathedral, and they went over the intelligence as they contacted Washington about the investigation on Quebec that needed to happen. They hoped that there would be something to report before too long. The full vampires headed back that night, while the rest would return the next day. Jean-Claude decided to ride in the Firebird with his family on the way back. Patrick was with them, as he would need safe haven, and then he would need to meet Wiener for a bit more deprogramming. As they settled in for the long ride, Jean-Claude remembered the book. At the next rest stop, he went into the trunk wherein sat his things, and he produced the book that Karin had given him. He let his wife take over, and he sat in the passenger seat as he read while his twins slept contentedly on each shoulder of Patrick It felt odd for Pat, considering that, not days before, he had been brainwashed into thinking that these were mortal enemies. Now, there were two of these creatures sleeping on his shoulders as if he were a dear friend. It made him feel good, and he, to make himself comfortable, pulled his arms out, and the twins immediately curled up to him in their sleepy state. Subconsciously, they must have thought that it was one of their parents. They pulled his arms around them, but he looked worried. He was still a stranger, and he did not want to rock the boat. However, Yuriya saw the nervous look on Pat's face, and she gave him an assured smile that all was well. He then settled down himself, and then fell asleep with the twins. As this was going on, Jean-Claude opened the book and he read. He sat quietly, but Yuriya knew her husband too well. He was too quiet—eerily so. She knew that he was disturbed, and she could only imagine what he read. He was much focused, and that could only mean that he was getting ready to hurt someone. Halfway through the book, Jean-Claude said, “I have no doubt that they need to be stopped now. There is more at stake than just our kind's protection.”
“What do you mean?” asked Yuriya.
“God forbid these people ever go into politics and ever try to run a country,” said Jean-Claude, “Because, if they ever stopped the vampire, I would be forced to ask who would be next.”
By the tone, she could only sense that he was imagining the worst case scenario. Because she had learned how he thought in these cases, she merely said, “Worst case…?”
“The Third Reich could take lessons from these clowns,” murmured Jean-Claude as he continued to read. Yuriya asked no more, knowing that, if he was thinking like that, then it only meant one thing: when he caught up to the leadership of the Inquisition, there was to be no mercy, as they had shown to Patrick. It could not be risked.
 
 
 
4