Karin Fan Fiction ❯ Karin: The Inquisition ❯ Chapter 30

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 30
 
As Jean-Claude was preparing to leave, he could not help but notice Yuuna looking a bit down. He walked up to her and asked, “Why so glum, chum?”
She cocked her head, not certain how to answer, and then she said, “I'm glad we're fighting for a good cause and all, but…”
“But what?” asked Jean-Claude.
“You see,” she said, searching for the right words, “What we did in El Paso…that was the first mission that we have done that could not be resolved by non-lethal means. I mean, everyone died—everyone!”
Jean-Claude wanted to answer in a businesslike manner, but he saw the pain in her eyes as she spoke about her plight, and he decided to approach it differently. “You know, war sucks,” answered Jean-Claude, “Although using deadly force is something that I do with seeming ease, don't think that it does not eat at me later. In Boston, there were four men stalking my wife and children. One of them repented when he was given the chance. We executed the other three. We first bound them, then strapped them into their car, and then tossed it into the river. I know that they did not die very peacefully. However, they were such that we just could not afford for them to come from behind and nip us in the butt. I sometimes ask if what we did was right. Every time I have done this, I ask if how it went was right. Then I think of Yuriya and the twins—the rest becomes easy.”
Yuuna saw the now serious look in Jean-Claude's face, and she realized that he was basically saying that to insure the safety of the ones that he loves, he makes sure that a chance never comes that those who sought harm to them could ever try it again. She then looked over to Regan and wondered if she felt the same way. If someone sought to kill her, how would she react? “I have to think about that one,” Yuuna said to Jean-Claude, “Nonetheless, I just wish that we could do this without killing all those people.”
“But, what would happen if word got out about them?” asked Jean-Claude, “What would happen in Paris if they knew what hit them, how big, and with what? Would the vampire be exposed before it was time to safely do so? So many could get hurt. If the information got out about all this, would it stop things, or aid their cause? Would people write it off as crazy?”
Then Jean-Claude went stiff, as if he was having an epiphany. Hartley saw them talking, and came over to find out what was going on. Jean-Claude began to smile, and he said, “You know, maybe taking them alive would be worth it in this case?”
Hartley, because he came in the middle of the conversation, was confused. Jean-Claude then said, “You guys could affect the press on things, right?”
“It would take pulling a few strings, but we could,” said Hartley.
“Think about this:” said Jean-Claude, “We could end this thing a lot faster than we thought. If we take prisoners, it would not be as such that we needed any information, but if it were public, and it were done in such a fashion to make it look like they were a bunch of nuts, we could put them away, and the image in the press would be such that it would throw the main base into a panic. That would constitute us timing our strike in such a fashion that we could strike there immediately and catch them flat-footed. We would have you, us, and the Clan team that is now making its way to Paris as we speak. I am certain that the French government would love to know about a bunch of crazies moving about in their borders. They would not expect the strike so fast.”
Yuuna was now becoming excited about the prospect as Hartley then said, “How realistic is it that we could do this without killing anyone?”
“If the Devil's Brigade could take a whole tank battalion without firing a shot, I think we could do this,” answered Jean-Claude.
“Then, what we can do is expose LeFleur as someone who is supplying weapons to terrorists, and then set up his capture with theirs,” said Hartley, “Then we go public about the hit, except it will not be mentioned who was responsible. As soon as we are done in Quebec, we go straight to Paris at the first feasible moment and catch them with their pants down.”
“That's about the size of it!” said Jean-Claude.
Now Yuuna was excited. They could do this without deadly force, and put an end to a large threat at the same time. She said, “When do we go!”
“We leave the Friday after Thanksgiving!” said Jean-Claude.
“Then it is settled,” said Hartley, “Let's give them the scare of their lives!”
Jean-Claude then excused himself for the next task.
 
He went to the apartment where things had begun with the Rugby team, and he was warmly invited in. “Well fellas,” said Jean-Claude, “it's the moment of truth. What is your decision?”
Turlo then said, “Joining you guys is no problem per se, but some of us are members of fraternal orders already. We have loyalties to them. We would have to put the Clan's needs above the frats'.”
Jean-Claude stroked his chin, and said, “Tell you what: give me the names of the frats you guys are members of, and then let us handle that problem. If any of you live in the frat house, move out. Get into the dorms, or find a place. If any of you have money problems, let me know, and I can sponsor you for a short time.”
“What are you planning to do?” asked McQueeny.
“I know someone in admin that could get you dorm rooms if needed,” answered Jean-Claude, “and then A-team can sneak into the frat houses, take the information that you guys had ever been members, and then wipe the memories of every member that you had been brothers. Then give us a list of the people on campus you know that are brothers, and then we can get to them after. It would be a touch of work, but we could erase the knowledge that you had ever been a member of any Greek society.”
They looked stunned at him, and said, “Just how powerful are you?”
“What you should be asking yourselves is, `How safe am I going to be with these guys being so powerful?'” returned Jean-Claude.
They all looked at each other, and then said, “It's a deal. What do we do now?”
“The week after Thanksgiving,” said Jean-Claude, “We'll let you know where to meet, and we shall initiate you into the Clan. Don't worry; there is no pledge time, and no hazing. This is completely different.”
He took the information, and bid them a good night. As he left, he felt a bit of satisfaction, knowing that the Clan was going to expand. He also began to think about the future. The Clan would grow, and he thought that it would be best to just settle in Bangor for the time being, and then, when his kids were done with school, he could move the whole operation to New York City. He did not want to move the kids right away, because they were now settling in, and making good friends. He just did not like the hunting prospects where he was. However, not only were the prospects much better in New York, there were more candidates for the Clan, more chances to catch and stop renegade vampires and wayward hunters, and he could blend them into New York much easier. Things would be so big that, before long, with his kids and Kannon fully grown, and the child of Innocent close, the new paradigm could form. It was good, but they had to get past this first.
 
Thanksgiving turned into a grand affair. With all the Brownlicks involved, it would be a huge feast. Fumio, Karin, Yuriya, Bridgette, Innocent, and Christy worked overtime in the kitchen. They started the night before, and were working up a storm. People knew better than to go into the kitchen for anything, because you would either be shooed out, or recruited to help. Chiyuki had been working hard to bring Ai around, and the festive mood did seem to have some effect for her. Though they could not taste well, they could smell much more, and the smells of the feast permeated the house. Soon, Ai was out of her room and in the kitchen. She saw the labor going down, and suddenly she brightened up. Soon, she was giving recommendations here and there for the feast, and then began to throw herself into things full force. The other ladies took advantage of this, and they began to include her in much of the activities—as much as they could. If this could help bring her out of her depression, they were going to go whole hog! In the meantime, the men were all in the main room with the big screen, watching all the big games, and generally doing what men did on a day like that. Oddly enough, all this was during the day, but the house had been sun proofed. It felt awkward to be up, but Jean-Claude wanted this to be a special day, and they went all out for the holiday. Before that, however, Jean-Claude went out with Hondo and Mickey as Jean-Claude taught his son the finer points of hunting. They found a young buck—about a six-pointer—and were able to make the kill. Then Jean-Claude pulled out a long knife and a canteen cup, cut the beast open, filled the cup with blood, and said, “Though I don't believe this necessarily, Bear Fang taught me that the Native Americans used to drink the blood of a kill to thank the beast for giving it's life for them to be able to eat and have clothes, and to aid it on in the afterlife. For us, it is something that we as vampires can enjoy to celebrate a good hunt. Hondo, I don't expect you to join us, but you can if you want.”
Jean-Claude drank part of it, and Mickey drank with relish. Hondo then said, “Give me the rest.”
They looked at him surprised, but he also drank as well. He choked it down, and said, “Now, let us get this to the cooks, and we can add this to the meal.”
 
After they had gutted it and weighed it at the station, they took it back to the manor, skinned it, cleaned it, and began to cut it up. The ladies were surprised, but Karin had some recipes for venison, and she was anxious to try them. They asked where it came from and Jean-Claude then said, “There is nothing more pure and fresh than something caught on the hoof!”
About two hours after sunset, the feast was almost set, and then seven new guests arrived. It was Jean-Claude's mentors, and they had come at his request. The chief said, “This is almost like that first one.”
Mickey and Sheila were both excited, and said, “You were there for that!”
“Well, we could not feast with them,” said Bear Fang, “but the feast went on for three days. It was quite the affair. However, this has the feel of that feast, and we are so glad for the chance to be a part.”
They brought in their contribution for the feast—wild turkey and popcorn! Sheila scratched her head, and the chief said, “This is a native invention! It was actually at the first feast with the pilgrims. We cannot have this without the corn!”
At this, the feast began with relish. Not only was the food tasty, but for those that could not really taste it well, the textures were also done in such a fashion that they could also enjoy the feast. For the first time in ages, everyone was in one place, laughing, joking, reminiscing, and doing things that a family would normally do at a feast like this. It was a far cry from what had happened that summer. It had gone from mistrust to everyone forgetting their differences and being one big family. Jean-Claude smiled, but his eye betrayed a tear. His wife stroked his face and said, “What's wrong?”
“Absolutely nothing!” said Jean-Claude, “That is why I am like this. I see this, and I know that the future for all of us will be great! I cannot wait for that day!”
 
After the meal, the men all jumped in to do the clean-up, and to let the ladies relax and talk after their hard work. However, Innocent found herself beside Hondo, content as could be. She then whispered something to Hondo that made him brighten up. “How long has it been since you have released?” asked Hondo.
“Not since the last time—into you!” she said.
Hondo stared at her, and for the first time, he saw the look on her face; it was a smile, but it was also a look of total surrender. He suddenly felt weak in the knees, and his heart began to race. He wanted to speak, but she put her hand on his mouth, and she said, “When I resisted you, I was so selfish, because I did not like how it seemed that everyone wanted to tell me how to live my life. I wanted to pick the ideal man, and I was so foolish not to see him standing in front of me the whole time. You have proven that you can take care of me, protect me, you put my life before your own, and you indeed kept your word: you showed nothing but love for every act of hate I showed you.”
A tear began to role down her cheek, and she said, “Now I want to be with you, not because others have said so, but because I say so. Take me…I'm yours.”
She then kissed him tenderly, not knowing that everyone in the kitchen was now watching. They were all clapping, and they then both turned beat red, and Hondo began to bleed at the nose. She grabbed a cloth and began to tend to it as they both laughed. However, Jean-Claude went out the door, and whispered what had happened in the kitchen, and then the news spread like wildfire. The commotion began to grow into a roar and a celebration. The new couple was curious, and when they went out, there was cheering, dancing, and heavy kissing of the married couples. It looked like Times Square at the end of World War Two. When they asked why this was so, Richard then said, “My dear children; expect to see a lot of pregnant vampires real soon!”
“Try one pregnant dhamphir right now,” said Yuriya.
Jean-Claude looked at her with surprise, and he said, “I thought that was a one-shot deal! I didn't think that this would affect us!”
“Apparently it has!” she smiled with a twinkle in her eye, “There is hope for all of us!”
Jean-Claude let out a scream of joy, and he snatched and cradled his wife in a blink, and he was dancing down the hall as everyone else was celebrating. He then said, “Richard, call all the councils, tell all the chiefs—this is our year of jubilee!”
 
Later that night, Jean-Claude was readying himself for the mission the next night. Yuriya was not normally worried, because she knew that he was capable of handling himself. However, she had a bit of anxiety. Indeed, the house was unusually quiet, and she was guessing that “certain events” were taking place en masse, and the quiet added to the mood. Even Karin and Kenta were tending to “family duties.” Jean-Claude was whetting his blade when he noticed the look on his wife's face. He patted the spot next to him on the couch, and asked, “What's on your mind, Angel?”
“I've seen you do this too many times, and I never worry about you,” answered Yuriya, “I know you can take care of yourself, but this time…I…well…”
“It's the new baby,” answered Jean-Claude, “to which I am still shocked and happy. Anyway, it's probably just that.”
“It's not that. I just have that feeling that you won't be coming back.”
“You haven't felt that before?”
“Well, yes I have, but this time…”
He leaned over and pecked her cheek, and he said, “Honey, you have this night given more motivation to come home than ever before. Whatever this child turns out to be—human, vampire, dhampir, or even another Golconda—I cannot wait to welcome the child to a new world. He or she will be the child of surprise. That sounds like an omen. The child will be a child that will surprise us for centuries. I'll be fine. I love you.”
They kissed passionately, and he went to pray and get some rest. He was going to sleep and rest the next day to be ready for the next night. However, when he went out, Yuriya went over to the twins and said, “Keep your bats on them and watch them close. Could you do that for me?”
They nodded, but then Sheila went over to her mother, put her ear to her mother's belly, and Yuriya thought she was trying to hug, at which she embraced her. However, Sheila said, “Let's see…It's a boy, and it's going to be a vampire. Looks like things landed right.”
Yuriya looked shocked, and looked down at her daughter, wondering just how powerful she was. “Jean-Claude was wrong. You two are the children of surprise. Never stop surprising me!”
She kneeled down and hugged both of them, and they stayed that way for some time.
 
In Innocent's room, Hondo said his good night to her, and he was heading for the antechamber and his bed. However a hand closed the door just as he had cracked it open. She then slipped in front of him, and said, “Where do you think you're going!”
Hondo had a feeling where this was going, but he said, “Shouldn't we wait?”
“Wait for what?” asked Innocent, “The Usuis had a wedding because they wanted one. It's not needed, but for them, it was symbolic. In reality, in our world, they just hand over the bride, and that's it.”
“What about your father?”
“He would have asked you, `What took you so long?'”
“But, what about paperwork, certificates…”
“Formalities—we can tend to that later. Right now…”
She then kissed him passionately, and she started to unbutton his shirt while guiding him to the bed. She said, “Now it is time to finish the puzzle. Our daughter—Sophia—will be the child of miracles. Let us walk into this new world together. I love you. Take me.”
If the vampires were not busy with things at that moment, and had the chance to just take a peek, the celebration earlier would have been nothing compared to what they would have done at that sight. There was a new future brewing, and for the first time, vampires had hope. They knew that they would no longer have to live in fear like they had before. They would be free.
 
 
 
4