Karin Fan Fiction ❯ Karin: The Inquisition ❯ Chapter 34

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 34
 
As Cleric Team approached, they saw Jean-Claude coming down with Leo over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes, quite restrained, and quite mute. As they descended into the pack, Yuuna went into her pocket, pulled out the letter, looked at it, and tore it into countless tiny pieces. Government officials were now questioning Hartley, Jean-Claude, and Karin about what had happened. What they told the government people was that he was the leader and last survivor of an international terrorist group and religious cult that global domination on their mind. They went as far as to say that they were actually hunting witches and vampires, as silly as that sounded, but used that as an excuse to go after political foes, spread fear, and then eventually go after the French government itself. The caravan, now all remounting their rides, led the government people and the police back to the compound, after warning them that an auxiliary group was “minding the store,” so they would not be surprised at the presence of the Clan. When they entered, they were shocked at all the torture devices and blood. They were also shocked at the records they were shown that systematically recorded the slow torture and murder of the victims they had captured. However, they were sure to exclude any records of real vampires and “witches,” in order to keep either the academies from being traced, or the vampires from being exposed before it was time. They looked at the now mute Genoble, who seemed now quite resigned to his fate, and said to him, “Son, by the time the courts get done with you, we are going to make your execution very public and loud. Someone like you could bring back calls to bring back the guillotine—we can only hope!”
Jean-Claude, Karin, Anjou, and leaders of the Cleric Team were told they may be called back to testify, but it may not be necessary with the mountain of evidence there. Needless to say, the Inquisition was finished.
 
Anjou went back to the places where she, Francois, Maki, and Wiener had been living in hopes that there was something to salvage. However, the places had long ago been broken into, and what had not been taken had been wrecked. The landlords then confiscated what they could for compensation on damage to the apartment. Thus, they were now both empty. This brought Anjou to tears, knowing that there were some precious memories that were lost forever. Jean-Claude kneaded her shoulders, saying, “Remember what Jesus said—behold, I make all things new. Vincent is here for you now, and you can make new memories. He'll help you come out of this strong, but always keep the old memories in your mind: they are indeed precious.”
She spun around and buried her helmeted head into his chest and began to bawl. He just held her and let her vent until she was all done. He then closed the door, as if closing the door on an era, and he put an arm around her as Karin put one around her other shoulder as they led her away.
 
They all stayed at a hotel, and they vampires all commented on the nice tans they had gotten on their faces. The blue tinted visors helped, but there was only so much they could do. They waited until midnight before they took off again. They said their good-byes to Victor and Elda, and prepared to leave. Oddly enough, Elda was disappointed that the action was over so quick. She had been itching for action in the old world, and it was over before it started. Victor just laughed and said, “Elda, we fought these fools halfway around the world, and that was not enough?”
“It's not that, it was the principle of the thing. I mean…” she said as they both went to catch their flight back to Japan. They were actually going to go traveling west so that they would not meet the sun coming home. Karin then turned to Chiyuki and co. and asked what they were going to do. Ai was doing better, but she still looked a little down. The three of them were going to travel some more, and try to reconnect after all the trouble. Chiyuki then said, “Don't get cocky, dhampir, I may just have to come back and clean you clock!”
She smiled, laughed, winked, and they went their way. They then boarded the Concorde, and they were in for an interesting experience in time travel. They left Paris at midnight and landed at Brunswick Naval Air Station 9 P.M. that same day! They had actually gained three hours of the day back! They gave back all the armor, and Yuuna stood there with Regan, both of them with arms around each other's waists, and Hartley stood beside them. Hartley shook his hand and said, “Well, we're going back to Rome and report. Oddly enough, you may be asked to come back and meet the officials that contracted us. We can work something out to what may help your cause by having them meet you, and they get to know you. Funny thing, though—we saw some of the video when you fought. Boy, if you were not in charge of your own group, I'd see if we could get you to join us. It would only take some training in what we do, and to cohere with us as a team, and you would be a whale of an asset.”
“Sir,” Jean-Claude answered, “My hope is only to don these clothes when I need to feed, and then only going after punks and the occasional renegade vampire that would try to wreck everything for which we fought. If I can help it, my fighting days are over. I just hope that this was the last war I have to fight.”
Hartley put a hand on his shoulder, and said, “Isn't that the wish of all us warriors?”
“Well, Macarthur said that no one wants peace more than the soldier, because it is he that must bear the deepest and hardest wounds and scars of war,” answered Jean-Claude, which got an “amen” from the three of them. Yuuna then said, “Take care, and raise your great kids the right way. We look forward to the day we can all be together in peace. Don't lose your dream.”
They then took their leave as everyone boarded the buses that would take them home.
 
They returned to the manor a couple of hours later to a victory celebration. Jean-Claude carried the twins who were both asleep at this point, and met a teary and jubilant Yuriya. Kannon saw her parents and squealed with joy as she ran across the lot and leapt into her parents' arms. Fumio was overjoyed as well, seeing her son return home safely. There was singing and shouting throughout the manor, knowing that the future looked so bright, they might have to wear shades! Richard came up and gave a hearty handshake to Jean-Claude, congratulating him, and thanking him for all he and the Clan had done. Meanwhile, Hondo passed, looking around and saying, “Where is she?”
He did not have to wait for the answer as he turned around and tackled by Innocent. This was followed by a huge cheer, and it added the special glow on the whole scene. Life would be good.
 
Epilogue
 
The trial was loud and public as had been promised. Leo testified as best he could, but his lawyer tried to get him to shut up about vampires being real, and how the world was doomed, but he would not listen. All it did was dig him deeper into a hole. By the time it was done, the jury only deliberated for about 20 minutes before a guilty verdict was laid down, with a death sentence attached. Indeed, his execution was public and ugly, as he fought his trip to the execution spot all the way.
 
Eventually, Jean-Claude went to the Vatican with his kids and wife and met with the Pope, a few cardinals, and Friar Antonio. They sat and spoke for some length. After some time, it was decreed that the existence of their kind would be met with ignorance and apathy to the public. Unofficially, the Church would seek to ensure nothing like this ever happened again, and the Clan had the full blessing of the Church as long as they continued their mission of trying to bring peace.
 
Everyone remained in the Bangor area for the next four years until they had their degrees. Kenta was able to get his doctorate, Yuriya and Fumio were able to get their diplomas, and were even able to get some college classes in. Karin earned her chef's license, and had ambitions of one day opening a restaurant. Kannon turned into a beautiful eight year old angel who made the boys forget that girls had cooties! However, Karin was always frustrated how much affection she showed to her father, and her answer was always the same, “Mommy, but you know he's the handsomest daddy around!”
She then gave her normal response, “Well, you have good taste, but go find your own!”
Kannon was also quite powerful, and was more adept than the twins had been at her age, having the tutelage of the twins to guide her. They also had another charge. Hondo and Innocent were now happily wed, and Innocent was essentially a human with fangs, but had all the support of her family and the other vampires, due to who was her daughter. Sophia was a beautiful child, and seemed to have all the grace of her spiritual form when she was still trapped. This was accompanied by a huge baby boom of vampires all over the world. They would now be fertile forever, and the future loomed great and large for them all. What shocked Karin, though, was the fact that Henry and Calera decided to contribute and had a child themselves. When she asked, Calera said, “Honey, we've done it before. Besides, do you think your father and I want to travel for the rest of eternity? The house is too quiet!”
In fact, there seemed to be a baby boom with the vampires. However, Vincent and Anjou were waiting for the right time. They wanted to get to know one another better before committing to a family. This was not so with Maki and Wiener. They too finally had a child, and proved to be a fine family. Even Ren found himself a father with Chiyuki. No one in the Marker family would have even thought that Ren would ever have children, but he proved to be a doting father. Ai was also affected, in that she had been impregnated before Ryuu died. She gave birth to a daughter, and named her Eve. The third child that Yuriya had was a healthy baby boy, as was predicted. They named him Franklin for Jean-Claude's grandfather.
 
By this point, everyone had gotten their own residences in the area, and began to live normal lives. The Clan grew there, the twins were indeed the prince and princess of the school, and they were revered by all the children. However, many expected them to move onto junior high, but they were in for a surprise. By this point, each family within the extended family had its own home and was living normally. Every Sunday, they rotated a family meal in each house, and they were at the Usui's. This included Jean-Claude's crew, Anjou and Vincent, Maki and Wiener with their child, and the Yoshidas. At some point in the middle, Jean-Claude said, “Folks, it has reached the point where we must make the next step towards the growth of the Clan.”
They all looked at him and Fumio said, “Are you saying that it's time to tell people about us?”
“Not exactly,” said Jean-Claude, “I grant you it has grown here, and in Japan, we have about a brigade who is Clansmen. Without even exposing ourselves, because of the rings we wear, they run into each other frequently, and the fellowship is sweet, because they have something special between them. This occurs no mater what meets who. It is so nice when they see that ring and there is instant trust. Vampires feel safer because there will be help instantly from anywhere. Ever since Elda and Victor took over the Cavern, it has been the greatest base of operation, and a great haven. Yes, things are good, but things have to spread more. Therefore, I am taking the family and moving to New York City.”
“But daddy,” said Sheila, “I have friends here, and the schools are great. Please don't tell me we have to leave them!”
“Honey,” said Jean-Claude, “The schools there are great as well. In fact, we will be living in Manhattan, in Central Park West. We'll be living in a penthouse apartment of a building I now co-own, so no rent. Central Park is right there, and there are so many people you can make friends with a lot around to do. You two like to dance your ballet classes, right? Some of the finest schools are there! You've made changes before; I know you can do this!”
“Baby,” said Yuriya, “Could we not at least wait until the kids finish high school? This is a bit disruptive, baby.”
“There are a bunch of vampires that live there,” said Jean-Claude, “I've already spoken to the chief, and he has said that what I do would be a huge plus for New York. You kids will meet vampires your age, and more vampires will get to know at least two of the four of you. There are plenty of high schools where I can teach Phys Ed. We can connect more with our kinds and plenty of humans that would be sympathetic to the cause.”
“But why now?” pleaded Mickey.
“If we do not jump now,” reasoned Jean-Claude, “The movement will stagnate. Yes, it is spreading here, but let's face it—the state itself only has about 2 million people in it, while New York has about 8 million in the city alone. Besides, you kids are going to have to get to know the vampire population more, because there is soon coming a day when you two will be declared official vampire royalty, along with Kannon and Sophia. Sophia will ultimately be in charge, but you three are going to prepare the way for her, and be her prince and two princesses. This is how you are going to be seen. I will actually have to take orders from Sophia myself.”
The twins and Kannon stared at Jean-Claude, stunned at the statement. Then he hit them with the load leveler. Jean-Claude said, “The older you twins get, the less you will be able to have direct access to others anyway, because you will become something so great that it will be hard to relate to people directly on a regular basis. It may get to the point where you two will not be able to finish high school, and we will have to finish your education in home schooling. In other words, you two will become so powerful that you will have nothing in common with either humans or common vampires. It will be almost impossible to relate to them as peers. That does not mean that you lose the common touch. It does not mean that you abuse your powers, lest something greater than you put you down. However, I guarantee you; it is going to be harder and harder to relate to your peers as you grow in power and stature. It would get to the point where people may actually shun you, or we would draw attention on us before it was time, and there would not be enough Clansmen to associate with at that point. In New York, there would be a quick growth of the Clan, plenty of vampires around to mix with, plenty of humans on our side that would not be afraid of you and want to help you, and you could keep it well to do with yourselves. You will get used to having people take care of things with you and for you, and it will be an easier transition for you to be the royalty that you are that you will not even notice that it has happened. I know that when that happens, you four are good enough kids to where it would not get to your heads. I know you don't understand this right now, and in all honesty, this would not have been necessary had we not had to have left Tokyo the way we did. We would not even be having this conversation. I would have moved us to New York years ago had not we all been in the college courses we were. Now that would have been suspicious to have all of us leave college at once along with you two suddenly having to pull out after only one year. By us finishing college at the same time you guys finished elementary school was perfect timing. Really, it is for the best. You may not like it now, but believe me, it is for the best.”
Quiet hung over the table. Some wanted to protest, but he had not steered them wrong before, and there was something about his words that rang truth. For the twins, it was hard, because they would have to start all over again; yet, something touched them inside, and said, “It is for the best.”
The twins and Kannon looked up at Sophia who was just looking at them. However, they heard an adult voice, and they knew it had to be the spirit of Sophia Pistis speaking to them from her. She said, “Your father is right, because you three have more power yet to be tapped into. You will not cease being you, but it will change you. Just remember all that your mother and father have taught you, because when I am able to express outwardly this to you, (and it will only be a few years before that happens,) I will also be able to keep you in check, for what your father wants I want, and not even you shall get in the way. This is what you are, and you need to embrace this, because if you don't, it will be so hard for you to relate to people. If you learn to love, not only what you are, but what you shall be, then you will never lose the common touch or lose the essence of your personalities, save for a bit more maturity. New York is your best chance. Trust the dhampir, because he is right, and shall always have a special place in the world to come, as will Karin and Innocent.”
At the same moment, Karin said, “You know, I think that we would have to move as well. I mean, it would only be Kannon pulling out, and that would not be as noticed.”
Kenta said, “I've seen the building that he is speaking about, and it is rigged for serving food. You could open a branch of the Cavern right there.”
“We could run it as before, Big Brother,” said Anjou.
“You want to go as well?” asked Jean-Claude.
“Nothing really binds us here,” said Vincent, “Besides; her music degree would serve her well in New York.”
“Best place to build a bookshop,” said Maki.
“Hold up,” said Jean-Claude, “Are you saying that all of you would come?”
“For the Clan, it would be the best,” said Hondo, “I want in on it!”
Jean-Claude slapped the table and let out a good laugh, looked at them, and sang, “Start spreading the news!
 
By fall, all were in New York, and the twins were able to make the transition much better than they thought. They were able to network well, and the Clan began to grow quickly. Maki and Wiener set up a bookstore that had some of the best books and rarest finds, some of it angled at some of the special clientele that came into her shop. Anjou and Vincent had their own apartment in the building, as everyone did, and she was cranking out compositions for various music projects as she strengthened her relationship in the Lord. Jean-Claude monthly patrolled the city, and he was also a well respected teacher with Hondo, though they taught at rival high schools. Indeed, the kids were becoming more and more aware of the figurative crowns that they wore. When the time came, they would be ready. Therefore, if you ever head into Central Park West, look for the Cavern. It has some of the finest food and socializing there is to be seen at a reasonable price. Look for Karin Usui. She'll greet you with a warm smile and a friendly word as she cooks you a great meal. Fumio will be there to greet you and make sure your stay is the finest it can be. Yuriya will be behind the coffee bar making some of the best coffee known to man, and have everything there to meet any customer's needs. Karin shall have you entertained by her sister and brother as they play easy folk and contemporary, and Karin will make you feel like family. In fact, if you are one of the fortunate ones to be let in on their great secret, she will indeed say warmly, “Welcome to the family.”
 
THE END
 
 
 
3