Katekyo Hitman Reborn! Fan Fiction ❯ Protection. ❯ One-Shot

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

GENERAL DISCLAIMER : The author holds no license of, nor makes claims to any of the characters, concepts, or stories all fiction works in this journal originated from in any way. The characters are used without permission of the original creators for the sake of entertainment only. No profit is gained from the writing found hereafter, nor any personal credit taken for the character designs, personalities, or concepts stemming from the original stories used. Characters used under this label are property of their respective creators and no copyright infringement is intended.

All situations depicted in the following fanfiction, unless otherwise stated, have no bearing on the creators' original works, and are solely the creation of the author based on personal interpretation of the mentioned works or are parodies exempted from copyright laws. It is the responsibility of the reader to observe all warnings before proceeding to the fiction works in this journal, as they may contain any number of situations, themes, ideas, views, or lifestyles not suitable for those under the age of 18 or which may be contrary or offensive to the beliefs of some. In the event that the following is the author's original work, or contains an original character, the author holds the copyright and should be contacted before either is used or distributed in any way.
 
 
ADDITIONAL DISCLAIMER : I do not own Katekyou HITMAN REBORN!
Universe Title : The Long Way Home.
Story Title : Love Is…
Chapter Title : Protection (1/1).
Chapter Rating : PG12.
Main Character(s) : Superbi Squalo, Xanxus.
Genre(s) : Romance.
Summary : Thirty different ways to love.
Warning(s) : M/M, Swearing.
Word Count : +/- 737.
Author's Note(s) : A series of drabbles and oneshots depicting thirty kinds of love.
Love Is
Protection.



"Squalo."

"What?" Squalo calls back from the plush velvet couch, eyes firmly glued to the text of his book and stubbornly refusing to move an inch.

"Come here." Xanxus's gravelly tone is calm and mild, but Squalo doesn't miss the order not quite hidden beneath.

Sighing, the white-haired male reluctantly drags himself off the couch, marking the page and placing his newly acquired crime novel onto the sitting room's finely polished coffee table before setting his black-framed reading glasses atop it. He raises on his toes, stretching towards the ceiling and hearing his back pop, then proceeds to where his Boss is.

Xanxus is standing on the balcony, glass of red wine in hand, back turned towards the brightly-lit Tokyo skyline. A whisper of a breeze sweeps past, ruffling his smooth, raven hair in a parody of a loving caress and causes the edges of his black jacket to dance against his untucked, maroon dress shirt. The collar is unbuttoned, around it hangs a skinny black necktie - loosened the very moment they returned to their luxurious suite. He's leaning casually against the stone balustrade, the left heel of his ridiculously expensive leather shoe is propped up against its base.

The man looks devastatingly beautiful, not to mention utterly, sinfully hot - his signature black and red complement the tan of his skin very nicely - and Squalo feels his breath catch in his throat. He joins his leader on the balcony, heart beating out a funny little tune in his chest.

Xanxus straightens and places his half-empty glass on the balustrade. "Get your hair out of the way."

Squalo's eyes narrow into slits, instantly suspicious, even if he really shouldn't be. "Why?"

"Just do it."

The corners of Squalo's mouth turn down in displeasure - Xanxus has developed a new habit of not answering his questions, which is quite frankly unnerving, given that each time preludes something (like this honeymoon and goddamn Lussuria and his intuition and his annoying proclivity for being right) that would, without a doubt, throw Squalo's entire world rather spectacularly off its axis - but he does as he's told anyway, piling his ivory mane onto his head in a messy, awkward fashion.

Xanxus slips his hand into his jacket's inner pocket and withdraws a long, silver chain. Attached to its end is a diamond-encrusted, silver crucifix.

Squalo's platinum eyes widen in shock. "What is that?"

"It's a cross," Xanxus informs him smoothly, in a tone that indicates he should know better than to ask something so glaringly obvious.

"VOOOII, I know what it fucking is," Squalo snaps; irritation, nervousness, and something he can't quite place but is very clearly there dancing around unkindly in his gut. "I meant, why are you giving it to me?"

Xanxus leans forward, fastening the chain around his lover's neck and adjusting it so that the crucifix rests neatly against the center of his chest. And then, he takes a step backward; hand lingering on Squalo's heart, crimson eyes boring into gunmetal-grey. "To keep you safe."

Squalo stares at Xanxus for a really long minute, uncharacteristically quiet, not for the first time in his life. He releases the hold on his hair, hand relocating to the new piece of jewelry which hangs from his neck. He's positive he can feel the cool metal - a strange contradiction to the burn of Xanxus's fingers - even through the fabric of his white shirt. His fingertips tentatively run along the coarse surface of sparkling diamonds inlaid upon silver, while that something he can't quite place rises from his gut and spreads over his heart in a rush very much akin to wildfire. He has never known Xanxus to be superstitious, and somewhere in the back of his mind, he wonders if the real reason his Boss - his husband, although Squalo is probably never gonna get used to calling him that - has bestowed him with such a gift is protection or something else.

He looks up at Xanxus, staring into the depths of those enigmatic, blood red eyes; searching and questioning and wishing he could drown in them. "Thank you." The words sound empty and significantly small in comparison to everything he's feeling but doesn't understand, and Squalo winces mentally at his blatant lack of eloquence.

Xanxus doesn't answer; he only smirks before pulling Squalo against him, crushing their mouths together in a long, possessive, breath-stealing kiss.
~ The End.~