Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ 2-shot ❯ Roxas ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Axel doesn't become friends with Roxas out of the goodness of his heart. Actually, Axel never does anything out of the goodness of his heart. He's proud to say he doesn't have one and even if he had, he's far too cynical to put anyone else's benefit above his own.

So when he sets out to charm the newest member of the Order, it's only a matter of self-defense. Such a dangerous toy is far better under his control, rather than at the disposal of some of the other Nobodies. It's nothing he hasn't done before, ingratiating himself with the lower numbers, playing the friendly guide to Demyx and Larxene.

But Roxas isn't anything like the other members of the 13th Order, with their fragile masks, out-of-control egos and constant scheming. Roxas looks, acts, lives as if he really didn't feel anything and something about that draws Axel, in a way that all of Demyx's and Larxene's blatant offers fail to. Roxas's indifference is a challenge to Number Eight and before he realizes it, the blond has wound the red-head around his slender finger with no effort at all. Not that Axel minds per say. Roxas is one of the few who tolerate him and the only one who doesn't want to use him. Not to mention his not-so-subtle campaign against the blond's apathy is starting to pay off. Every time he wins a slight widening of those blue eyes, a glance back and that slight, slight twitch of pale rose lips that was the closest Thirteen ever came to smiling, the rush that went through him was stronger than anything he's ever felt since he lost his heart.

Axel never wanted or needed anything like this. He doesn't understand it. Why is he so willing to go so much farther for the child? What is Roxas to him?

It takes Roxas's betrayal for him to admit: Roxas is his best friend. And he's going to bring him back no matter the cost.