Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ 2-shot ❯ Axel ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Axel makes himself easy to trust, but hard to like.

The red-head's arrogant attitude and equal opportunity insults don't win him any popularity contests, yet conversely invite the other members of the Organization to confide in him. Axel has neither dedication to the goal of Kingdom Hearts (as Saix does), no hidden agenda to advance (the way Zexion and Marluxia do), nor is any special ally or friend to anyone (as Larxene and Lexaeus are). Because of that he becomes the de facto sounding board and arbitrator among the Nobodies, the one to whom they confide to and the one who settles the feuds between members.

Roxas knows all this yet manages to resist doing the first while accomplishing the second.

Roxas is aware that Axel treats him very differently from the others. The Dancing Flame is far friendlier: going out of his way to seek out the youngest member, softening his biting sarcasm and revealing far more about himself in private than Roxas would have expected. However, that is precisely the reason that the blond doesn't trust him. He sees for himself how Axel draws the others in, the overtures of friendship and camaraderie, the even-handed behavior. He also sees behind the mask, the vicious contempt that sharpens the barbs the red-head tosses out, the sharp intelligence that pierces together the hints and slips of the others and pulls apart their plotting. The Keyblade wielder's opinion is only confirmed when six Nobodies go off to Castle Oblivion, but only Axel returns. And listening to Axel boast about how easy it was to trick them all, especially Larxene who Roxas had viewed as Axel's only other friend beside himself, only made him wonder who would be next to fall. Xigbar? Demyx? Himself?

So when Roxas leaves behind the Organization and hears his friend's quiet confession, he knows better than to believe it. His only surprise that night was that Axel let him leave alive.