Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ A Fragmented Tale ❯ Always Connected ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Here it is! I hope it's long enough to satisfy you! Sorry if this chapter sounds depressing. I had to get everything out. Mm... I'd say there's about 7 chapters left, plus an epilogue. Wow, I didn't think this story would have been this long! If it goes over a hundred pages (which I'm sure it will), then I'll be glad to say that this is the first one that has ended up as the longest! Lol. I've written other stories, but those are just between me and a few of my best friends. Anyway- read and review!
 
Oh yeah- and I don't own the song Oceans Away by The Fray.
 
A Fragmented Tale by cursed l0ve
 
Chapter Sixteen: Always Connected
 
It wouldn't be long now. The girl had jumped. It was amusing to say at the least. The friends that stood wounded and weary screamed out her name as if they would never see her again. The girl had willingly jumped in the pink glow, sacrificing everything she had gone so far for. And soon it would all end, and the prophecy would be done. But-
It wasn't going to be over. No, not yet. Sure, they had battled against many evils during the past two years and a half, but it was far from over. There was another evil, stealthy hidden within the shadows. Hiding. Watching. Waiting.
There would be one more battle to fight. And this evil would make sure they were eliminated for good. Their winning streak would come to an abrupt end at last. With the other hopeful, confused dictators out of the way, this shadow would easily plow over the keyblade wielders and conquer the worlds. They had given everything to this force, and they were unaware of it.
Yes, it was amusing. With the annoying prophecy gone, there would be no more obstacles. The path to the supreme darkness would be open and this shadow would be free to reign. Yes, this one could not wait. The hidden one waited, slowly tasting the power brimming within. It wouldn't be too long now.
 
"I won't allow it to end. Aleron, you fool," the shadow snickered before laughing out loud. "You don't know what you have done!" Within the smoky crystal, the pink glow flared, sending a shock of light engulfing the graveyard. The power was close now.
 
---------------------------------------------------------
 
Aleron continued to slowly rise higher in the air, basking with her own green and blue glow. Her body was weightless, and her arms and legs were limp. Her hair fell in a dark golden-brown drape. There was a gigantic tumult and the sands vanished, floating around the girl in a silent windstorm before dissolving into floating sakura blossoms.
Within a wave, the skies turned from pink to a pure blue, and the purple clouds turned white. The sand clad land faded into grass- fresh and green, and wet with summer dew. Dried objects blossomed into a variety of flowers. The winds died down, settling down the sakura blossoms around the other warriors. And in a flash, the keyblades all disappeared, hiding the mysterious crossroads.
A gasp resounded from everyone, although Aleron remained quiet in her state. Their shock widened eyes took in everything and Donovan took a sigh of relief. Keaira looped her arm through his and gave him a satisified smile.
"So, it's returned," the amended man spoke, taking in the grand view he had so forgotten a long ago.
"Yes," replied his wife.
 
"Wow..." Sora said in awe. With a blink, he turned to face Kairi with a huge grin. He took her in his arms and crushed her with a hug. "We did it, Kai! It's finally over!" Drawing back from the hug, he quickly crashed his lips against hers.
When they broke apart, Kairi gave a sad glance over to the girl. "But Aleron..."
Sora sighed, looking over in remorse.
 
"I thought I'd never see this again..." Enya whispered in disbelief.
"Yes," Matty said softly. He wrapped his bare arm around her shoulders and drew her in a light hug. He looked over at her as he pulled away, admiring the fiery redness of her hair and the molten goldness of her eyes. With a small smile, he whispered into her ear. "Enya, I know the truth, so do me a favor- stop pushing it away and get it out in the open. Okay?"
The woman drew back in confusion, "Wh-what?"
"You know what I mean. I won't pressure you on it." With that said and done, he stood up and helped the now puzzled female chaser to stand as well.
"Whatever," she waved him off. Looking at her little sister momentarily, she averted her eyes to the ground. "I can't believe she went and did that..."
"I'm sorry," Matty whispered, hugging her tighter this time.
 
King Mickey had silently thanked Ryo for all of his help, and as well as the others. He watched as each one of them spoke in awe and began to celebrate their victory. After moments, they returned to stare at the girl with sorrow in their eyes. It was as if they had all forgotten one important thing. Sure, the spur of the moment thing probably caused it, but he had a bad feeling about this. It wasn't over yet. He shook his head as he began to look for a certain silver-haired teen.
Looking around the beautiful scenery, he quickly found him. It should have been obvious. Mentally bashing himself in the head, he scurried over to where Riku stood.
 
---------------------------------------------------------
 
'Aleron, no... Why?'
Why did she have to jump? There had to have been another way. The thought of her giving herself up as a sacrifice made him totally pissed. Didn't she care about the people she had become quite acquaintanced with? Didn't she even care about how HE, himself, would have felt?
Right now, his heart felt as if it had been torn into pieces and would never be able to reassemble into a whole again. It felt as if someone purged it into gasoline and set it on fire. He couldn't tear his eyes away from her floating figure.
Yes, Aleron was still up there. The light hadn't died out yet. He was afraid that it would disappear any moment now, and she would be sent crashing straight into the ground without a warning.
While everyone was being so busy, he had walked closer to the strange rock, hoping to find a way to get her down. So far, he hadn't found one.
It was frustrating because she was up there and he was down there, and there was no way for him to reach her.
He wanted it to really be over. He wanted her to wake up. He wanted to hold her and to apologize to her. Apologize- for what? For everything he'd done, and for everything everyone had done; for everything that had happened. He never told her how he had felt and he never told her the truth. He wanted to rewind and spill his guts, or in that case- spill his heart out. And now it was probably too late. He would probably never have the chance.
He'd been musing for some time now and was so lost into it that he didn't notice a certain mouse stop at his side until the King spoke.
"I'm sorry, Riku."
"What do you have to be sorry about? It wasn't your fault," the silver-haired teen sighed. His eyes still lingered over the girl's form.
King Mickey eyed the boy warily. Something certainly has gone wrong. Although almost everything has been done, he could cross out the list he'd written mentally all those years- there was a couple things that was bothering him. One was the fact that Aleron hadn't disappeared yet or even returned, and that the pink light hadn't faded away. Had the process been stilled- as if someone decided to press the pause button on the remote? The other was that foreboding feeling that nagged at his guts for a while now. It felt as if someone sinister was watching them.
Tearing his huge eyes away from the boy standing defeated beside him, he peered up at Aleron. He took a deep breath before speaking again, "I just wish I knew what was happening. I'm sorry Riku, for everything. I am sorry that I don't know what to do now."
A pair of aqua-green eyes stared down at the ranting mouse with disdain. For the first time in a while, he brightened up as he thought of something. It would be extremely risky, but it could be worth it. That is, if he did it right. Looking at the rock to the girl, and back down to the mouse, he exclaimed, "I've got it! Trust me on this!"
"Wh-Wha?!" King Mickey sputtered out as he jumped from Riku's sudden outburst. He narrowed his eyes at him in realization, "You're not thinking... Please Riku! Don't tell me you're thinking of-"
"Don't try to stop me! It might work. I think that's what this stupid rock was waiting for," Riku retorted before looking back at the group that had decided to walk closer. He tensed and turned forward again, stopping as the toes of his boots touched the glowing rock.
"Riku! What are you doing?" Sora yelled, letting go of Kairi as he ran towards his best friend. Kairi's eyes widened as she realized the issue at hand.
"No!" she shouted, chasing after Sora.
"What's happening?" Matty piped out, hearing his friends' cries.
"I think Riku's about to do something utterly-" Ryo began, but then Enya cut in, finishing the sentence for him.
"-Stupid. Yes, I think so, too. Come on! Lets go after them!" She yelled, dragging Matty along with her.
Donovan rolled his eyes and smirked at Keaira, who looked back up at him. "I wonder what's going to happen next. That Riku certainly has some intense ideas, don't you think so?"
Keaira sighed, looking at the others catching up. Sora had already reached Riku and was struggling trying to keep a firm hold on Riku's waist. Riku was leaning forward, trying to deatach himself from the brunette. She could hear them yelling. "I think it might just work- whatever it is he's trying to do. I mean, all along during this whole journey, he's been fighting for Aleron and he managed to get her back. And they have this connection."
Donovan ran a gloved hand through his curls and nodded. "I agree." He took his wife's arm and looped it with his. "I'd say they'll be alright on their own for now. Shall we take our leave? I suspect they'll call for us when the time is right."
"Okay dear, wherever you go... I'll follow."
With a grin, they both disappeared.
 
---------------------------------------------------------
 
'There she is!' she mentally sighed in relief. 'Wait, something's not right...' Furrowing her eyebrows, she continued on her way.
'And what is that boy with the silver hair doing? The spiky one seems to be trying to pull him away. Well, you don't see that everyday!' She had to giggle at the scene.
Everyone was yelling, and it became distorted. She couldn't understand what they were saying. She only caught several words like "Riku... Aleron... No... Jump..." Putting the words together, she completed the puzzle. The silver-haired boy, which she guessed was named Riku, wanted to rescue Aleron, so he was about to jump in. Hence, everyone's yelling for him not to.
Finally reaching the group, she cleared her throat and spoke. They all froze at the sound of her voice and Riku put down his up-raised foot
and the boy let go of him.
"Hey, you guys!" she grinned.
"Huh? Who are you?" Sora asked, scratching his head. Riku crossed his arms and was studying her with a curious look. She squirmed under the intensity of his eyes.
"Oh, sorry! I'm Aleira. I'm Aleron's best friend and we grew up together," Aleira explained, looking at everyone individually.
"Ah, nice to meet you, Aleira!" a squeaky voice spoke. "Now I remember, you were sent to Earth along with Aleron to watch over her. You were only a baby at the time, right?"
"Yes, that's right," Aleira said slowly. "Say, how did you know that? And who are you?"
"Whelp... I'm King Mickey, and well it's a long story."
"Oh, that's alright."
"So, why are you here now?" another voice asked.
Aleira moved her glance over to where a tall, tanned, muscular, dark-haired man stood. His intense burgundy orbs studied her.
"Well, I've been chasing after Aleron since the morning I found she'd disappeared. I ended up at the Destiny Islands and I followed her aura. Somewhere in the middle, I got confused because I felt two auras at once. One was dark and one was light. I followed the light and seems like I was on the right path all this time 'cause here I am!" Keaira threaded out her story.
"I see," Matty nodded.
"Yeah, so could everyone else introduce themselves, please?" Aleira giggled.
"Ah, sorry. I'm Ryo and that's Matty," the dark-haired guy quickly said. He nodded over to the bare chested man as he spoke the name.
"Okay, so you're Ryo," Aleira pointed at the Chaser. "And you're Matty," she moved to the light brunette Chaser. "You're Riku," she pointed over at the silver-haired teen. "And you're King Mickey." She pointed at the mouse. "How about you three?" she asked, looking at the burgundy haired girl.
"Oh, I'm Kairi! And this is my boyfriend, Sora," she said cheerfully.
“Wait a minute! How did you know my name? I know I didn't tell you!” Riku yelled.
“I could hear you guys yelling for miles,” Aleira retorted back. Riku looked away.
"And I'm Aleron's older sister, Enya. Nice to meet you, Aleira," the fiery Chaser spoke a moment after. "You're Donovan and Keaira's daughter, aren't you?"
Aleira gasped. "How did you know that?" she asked nervously.
"Well, I remembered everybody talking about a baby named Aleira being born. And besides you've got dark, curly hair like Donovan's and your name rhymes with Keaira's. I like your shade of hazel-green and gold eyes, though!" Enya smiled.
"Heh. Thanks. Even though I've been sent away when I was three, my mom still sent me letters VIA magic. So, I knew what was going on all this time," Aleira giggled and then sighed.
"NO!" Sora roared just as Matty opened his mouth to say something. Everyone jumped in surprise at the sharp tone. They'd been so distracted with Aleira, that they hadn't noticed Riku sneaking away. Sora was looking around when he caught his own best friend about to jump on the rock and yelled.
"Sorry, you guys, but somebody's gotta get her back!" Riku said as he unleashed the gravity from his feet and leaped into the air and landed in the light.
 
---------------------------------------------------------
 
It was dark, there was nothing surrounding her. She had this deja vu that told her it happened before. Inside, she felt fear and worry. Why was this happening again? Wait, she began to notice that it was different. She felt like she was floating.
'I'm saving you,' a darker voice spoke. Aleron gasped. She recognized it. It was her dark side.
"Why?" Aleron whispered into the darkness.
A faint chuckle, 'It shouldn't end this way. You deserve another chance. Would you leave HIM all alone like this?' she spoke.
"Well, no," Aleron sighed. She closed her eyes and opened them again, it was still dark.
'Then,' she kept on. 'Be patient. You were always good at that. He's coming.'
Aleron gasped. "What? How is he coming? Where am I anyway?" she asked, puzzled.
'You are disconnected, stuck within the darkness of the half world. He's your light; he will come for you. Your body still floats on the rock,' she said seriously.
"Oh, I am half whole again?" Aleron asked, nodding.
'Yes, but your soul is still connected with his,' she confirmed.
"I see."
'Thank me later. Oh, and... it isn't over yet. There is one last evil to fight. Good luck when the time comes,' she warned, her voice fading away.
"Wait!" Aleron yelled, but it was too late. She was gone. The girl sighed. Floating in the darkness, she waited.
 
---------------------------------------------------------
 
There was nothing there; it was bare. He began to panic. It was like before. He could never forget the feeling, when he had been lost inside the darkness. He felt detached; his soul was free to float. He felt light, and there was no ground. He sighed. Maybe it didn't work. He sacrificed himself to bring her back, and now he had his doubts.
 
'Figure since I'm so far gone,
Oceans away'
 
Riku blinked, hoping that this was a dream. Opening his eyes again, he found that it was real. He gave out a frustrated sigh. This time, he guessed he'd probably be stuck like this forever. Fear shocked through his body. 'No, this can't be happening!' he panicked.
 
'I can lay my saber down today'
 
It felt like hours, and he began falling asleep. He struggled to keep his eyes open. He was afraid that if something happened, he'd miss it. He yawned and took a look around.
Suddenly, a very faint light shined from behind him, and he turned around in surprise. It hurt at first as it intensified. Squinting his eyes and blocking it with his arm, he could make out a small figure in the far distance. His heart began to throb painfully as he began hoping. Maybe it was her?
 
'I still miss the words I love,
Words you did not say
Miss the kiss you never gave away'
 
He tried running, calling out to her. There was no ground, so he was flying. He reached out his right arm, trying to pull himself closer. He didn't feel like he was moving at all, and he was mentally growling to himself.
 
'There goes the sun,
Oceans away
And days die young when you're gone'
 
Hope increased as he realized he was drawing closer. It was her. He called out to her, but she did not turn around.
 
'And you're gone'
 
She was walking further and further away. Every time he was within a hundred yards of her, he tried reaching for her, but she was still too far. He felt his heart seize tight when he realized he could probably never reach her.
'No, I won't give up!' he mentally yelled.
 
'There goes the sun,
Oceans away
And leaves the day for someone else'
 
The darkness around him decreased as the light surrounding her began overcoming it. Soon, scenes flashed by them and he found himself running on a dirt path. She was walking through a forest of sakura trees.
"Aleron!" he called out to her.
She continued to walk and then she stopped, looking to her left. He slowed his running as he began looking in the direction she was. There was nothing over there, just the darkness that was still behind him.
"Aleron, I'm behind you!" he yelled, running towards her again. He heard her sigh. There was a faint breeze where she stood and her hair danced with it.
 
'Honestly,
I thought that we could make it all the way
Barefoot on beaches
Dancing against the grain'
 
Why couldn't he get her attention? Why wasn't he reaching her? Everytime he drew close, she appeared farther away. He began screaming inside, screaming for everything to stop. He felt his eyes burning, and his legs were weakening. His heart was throbbing, and his head was lightweight. He started feeling dizzy, and he began stumbling in his steps. He continued to run anyway, continued to reach for her.
"Aleron!" it was choked up this time. She was walking on again. His arm reached, and he was getting closer than ever, but it was no use. The space between them never filled.
 
'But stone by stone,
The castle crumbled to the ground
I stood and stared as you started to fall
Into the waves'
 
Her figure began to blur, and within a flash of light, he was in the darkness again.
"NO!" he roared angrily. He fell to his knees on the solid ground he found. He was running on a path, so it wasn't fully a dream. He took a deep breath, still panting. "Aleron!" he cried.
 
'There goes the sun,
Oceans away
And days die young when you're gone'
 
He clenched his fists as he stood up again, staring down the empty path. He began to take a step, and then it disappeared. He found himself falling.
 
'And you're gone'
 
As soon as he fell, he was pulled upright, as if something was holding him in place. He opened his eyes that he had tightly shut at the moment. Riku took a look around, there was still nothing. He let out another frustrated sigh. He began losing his hope.
 
'There goes the sun,
Oceans away
And leaves the day for someone else'
 
"Why?" he cried out. "Why does this always happen to me?!" He floated in defeat, trying to figure out what was happening. He had tried so hard for so long to fix everything he'd done, just to have it all taken away again. It wasn't fair.
 
'And here's to the man of your dreams
I take it all in a box'
 
Did he sacrifice himself for nothing? Maybe she was safe now, that he'd given himself for her. If that was the case, then he should accept the fate he received. Was this how she felt when she jumped? Something told him it was. But what if she was still somewhere in here, lost inside the darkness as he was now?
He began to worry. If that was true, then he was afraid that he wouldn't find her. He did something he swore he would never do. He gave himself in completely.
 
'And make my way down to the shore,
Throw it in and begin to leave it to the waves'
 
The moment he gave up was the moment he'd never forget. He'd allowed fate to guide him and a bright light blinded him as he felt something grab his shirt and drag him somewhere.
 
---------------------------------------------------------
 
He felt something he hadn't for a while now. Warmth. He felt heat prickling his skin. His eyelids were red. He was laying on something wet and scratchy, and he could smell a sweet aroma of flowers. A warm breeze swept over him, sending a lock of his silvery bangs into his face. It tickled his nose and he was twitching it. He heard giggles and laughter somewhere above him, but they were close. And then a warm flesh touched his face, and brushed his hair back.
"Riku?" a voice called softly near his ear. And he felt two hands cup both cheeks. He took a deep breath through his nose and let it out as he began to wake.
He was greeted with a face he never expected to see again. He closed his eyes to block the sun and a several shadows fell on him. He blinked them open again, and everything became clear.
He found Aleron staring at him with a worry look on her face. Ryo and Matty were standing behind her to block out the sun. Beside Matty was Enya, with her arms wrapped around his. King Mickey kneeled at Riku's legs, beside Aleron. Aleira stood a distance away from Aleron. On the other side of him was Sora and Kairi with smiles on their face.
"Hey Riku! You crazy hero!" Sora yelled, mussing the silvery hair causing Riku to frown.
"Riku, are you okay?" Aleron asked.
He turned his head to look at her. Her hands were still on his face. He gave a huge sigh of relief and with his left hand; he covered it over hers.
"Yeah, I'm okay now," he smiled. He watched as Aleron's face brightened, and he gasped as she crashed on top of him with a tight hug. He would have hugged her back if his arms weren't stuck at the moment. "Hey Aleron, you're killing me," he breathed.
She quickly let go of him, apologizing. He smirked and grabbed her hand in his making her jump. She blushed and looked at the grass beside her.
Something was bothering him. He decided to find out. "Uh, so how did you...? I thought I was...? You're here?"
Everyone laughed at his confusion. King Mickey patted his stomach and grinned. "You jumped in, and the both of you disappeared. The light was gone, and the rock changed. And all of a sudden, Aleron fell out of a small light on the rock and landed on the grass. She woke up and, well..." King Mickey explained and then looked up at Aleron, who nodded and turned to Riku.
She grinned and finished for Mickey. "When I woke up, the first person I was looking for was you. I asked for you, and everyone had this look on their face. Sora told me you jumped in after me," she began forlornly. She looked into Riku's aqua-green eyes as she continued.
"That explained the weird image I had of you chasing and calling me. I thought I felt you touch me, and everything disappeared," she smiled at him. She sighed and finished up, "I realized the darkness allowed us to return because of the connection we had."
"I knew I had to get you back, so I reached within me and I found the light to reach for you. When I opened my eyes, you were laying on the rock, so Sora and Matty dragged you down," Aleron finished, smiling down at him.
Riku listened quietly and blinked. He began to grin as he realized he'd done the right thing. He had to jump to save her. That was the final thing. Mickey and Merlin both said she would die or she would not. She hadn't died because of him. If he hadn't jumped in, then she would have.
"What exactly was it that rescued both of us?" Riku asked thoughtfully. "Anyone might just have done the same thing, and it might not have worked."
Aleron's eyes widened and she blushed. She averted her eyes as she answered, "I think it was kinda like Sleeping Beauty. Although, it was from sacrifice, instead of a kiss."
She looked at Riku and caught a faint blush on his cheeks. She giggled, getting braver. "It's like they say, true love conquers all!"
"Yup. That's what it was," King Mickey spoke. The look on Riku's face was memorable. Sora burst out laughing, and Kairi went into a giggling fit. Aleron started blushing deep red, and Riku was getting annoyed. Everyone else just smiled. Ryo smirked.
"Shut up already!" Riku yelled, and began trying to sit up. Aleron began standing up herself, and lent him a hand. He pulled himself up and stretched.
She brushed off the grass and began to say something when a force nearly knocked her down to the ground. Riku quickly caught her in her arms before she crashed and they both were in a heap, with another weigh on her back.
"Hey, what the he... Huh?" Aleron shouted and her sentence was lost as she turned her head to find someone she never thought would have been there. "Aleira?"
The curly haired girl stood up and giggled nervously. She helped Aleron, who helped Riku up. "Yeah, it's me!"
"OH MY GOD!" Aleron squealed so loud that everyone covered their ears. "What the hell are you doing here? How long have you been here? What took you so long? How did you know where to find me?" Aleron went into a questioning rage. She stopped abruptly. "Wait a minute!"
Aleira laughed, and grinned. "Long story." She pushed Aleron's shoulder. "I'll tell you later, okay? I'm here right now, right?"
Aleron nodded and hugged her best friend. "I'm so glad you're here!"
"Me too! I was so worried about you!"
"Okay, you girls are driving me crazy!" Riku whined.
Aleron punched him in the arm- hard. He recoiled in surprise. "Stop your whining, I'm done anyways!" she stuck out her tongue.
Riku rolled his eyes and sighed, "Girls."
"Hey! Did you notice something about this rock?" Sora yelled.
Everyone turned to look at the brunette. Sora was standing in front of the rock, studying it curiously. Suddenly, Riku and Aleron felt a pull of power towards it and their keyblades appeared in their hands.
"Huh?" they both said in confusion, studying the blades. They both looked up and found Sora had his Kingdom Key, so did King Mickey, and even Ryo was approaching them with his huge keyblade.
"There's a keyhole on it," Sora said. "I suppose we all have to lock it together."
"Yeah," King Mickey said, running towards the rock. "Come on the rest of you!"
Riku and Aleron looked at each other and nodded. They both caught up with the others. Kairi followed with her Oathkeeper. Matty, Enya, and Aleira all stood, watching in curiosity.
Now standing in a circle, they all stuck out their keyblades in their right hands and a ball of light began to glow in the center of it, above the rock. They raised their arms at once and the light climbed up, growing brighter. And then the rock began glowing.
Wind raged around them, twirling their hair and clothing. The sky was yellow and the clouds were gray and there were glimmers of light all around them. Stars danced around their keyblades. An outline of the keyhole appeared above them and the ball of light went through it, causing it to fill and disappear. Another light crashed down into the rock and it shattered. The winds died and opening their eyes, that they hadn't realized were closed, they saw that they were back.
"Huh?" Aleron and Ryo both exclaimed. They looked at each other. "Our keyblades are gone!"
"What do you mean? I've still got mine, right h..ere?" Sora retorted, looking at his Kingdom Key and to Keaira and Ryo's empty hands. "What the hell?"
He looked at Riku and King Mickey's and found that they still had theirs. He looked at Kairi's and found her Oathkeeper had disappeared.
"Something is wrong," King Mickey confirmed their fears. "It isn't over yet."
 
“Oh yeah, I remember… There is one more fight,” Aleron announced, clenching both fists.
 
---------------------------------------------------------
 
End Chapter Sixteen.
 
A/N: Whee! Long chapter this time! Who's this evil, I wonder? I dare you to make a guess. Who did I mention in this story? Go ahead and leave me a review!
 
Next time- Chapter Seventeen: In the Land of Hope.