Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Axel is Home at Last ❯ Home at Last ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Axel is Home at Last
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Kingdom Hearts or any characters. =[
AN: This is my entry for the Maximum Challenge April Edition on Mediaminer.org.
 
 
A soldier sat against the dreary brick wall of a small store in the center of what seemed like nowhere. His blazing red hair was a vivid flare against the dusty colors of his surroundings. His head was bowed, his rifle resting against his shoulder. A sudden noise caused him to look up swiftly, his shocking green eyes piercing through the small child that had made the noise. The child, maybe six or seven, hiccupped in fear and ran off, probably to find her mother. The soldier watched as the child ran, standing as she disappeared from his line of sight. He looked around in silence before deciding something and walking onward, away from the victory of battle, away from the memory of bloodshed. He wasn't sure where he was going. Couldn't remember where he came from. All he knew is that his feet were leading him somewhere, somewhere his mind had long forgotten. It seemed like it had been months ago that he left the scene of the battle, the glorious victorious soldier, drenched in praise for his bravery, when in reality it had been no more than four days since then. The praise had dried up, it's worth evaporated, and the terrible sights of the blood-torn battlefield distorted his mind, filling his head with wretched thoughts.
He continued walking; following his feet to a place he couldn't remember, paying no attention to his feet, but focusing on keeping his mind away from the thoughts seeping in due to his experiences. He looked up as his feet slowed. What he saw amazed him, a white castle in the middle of nowhere. He felt like he should know this place he had stumbled upon, but couldn't remember it. Walking closer, he reached the entrance; gently touching the cool white stonewall. The door swung open, making the soldier jump in surprise. He turned, looking inside and all around, but seeing no one. His feet told him to walk inside, so he did. As he stepped through the door it slammed shut and a voice called out from down the vast corridor. “Axel? Is that you? Are you finally home?” A boy, appearing to be close in age to the soldier, appeared, his blonde hair and blue eyes filling with warmth. Axel pulled the boy close upon instinct, mumbling into his hair, “Roxas…” The minute the word escaped his mouth Axel released the boy, falling backward, fainting from exhaustion.
Axel awoke, looking around and seeing Roxas sitting, asleep next to him. He remembered. Axel looked around, understanding for the first time where his feet had been leading him that whole time. The place that held everything he needed. His feet had taken him home. Roxas' eyes opened, and he sat up. “Axel…? Are you alright?” Axel smiled, reaching over to Roxas, tugging him to him in a hug. “ I am now. Now that I'm finally home. Now that I'm with you.” Roxas gasped, surprised and smiled, hugging him back, “Welcome home.”