Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Eye of the Storm ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
And a quick reminder about the 4 OC's in this story:

Skylar Strifehart (16-years-old) (Leon and Cloud's daughter)

Sorika Kagi (15-years-old) (Riku and ? 's daughter)

Nerina (14-years-old) and Andrew (15-years-old) Tillmitt (Tidus and Selphie's daughter and son)


Disclaimer: I don't own Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy. I do, however, own Nerina, Andrew, Sorika, Skylar, and any other OC's made up for the purpose of this fanfiction.

Chapter 8

Roxas, Zexion, and Demyx lounge on Skylar’s bed together while they watch the female Strifehart pack up her suitcase. A feeling of sadness hands in the air.

“Why do you have to leave so early this year?” Demyx asks, a pout on his face. “You usually stay until the last three days of summer break.”

Skylar pauses to consider whether or not she wants to pack a sleeveless shirt that Rikku got for her before shrugging and tossing it in. “It’s because,” She closes the suitcase and makes sure to lock it. “I promised a friend that I’d help her out with something this summer.”

“Sorika.” Roxas says dully. He’s barely gotten to spend any time with Skylar as it is, so he’s the most bummed out that she’s leaving earlier than usual. Plus, he has a bad feeling that something big might happen soon, so he’s worried about his family and all his friends.

Skylar nods. “Yeah. She found out where Uncle Riku keeps his old yearbook and wants me to look at it with her.”

“Is she the one who doesn’t know who her mother is?” Demyx asks curiously. He’s always been interested in Skylar’s Destiny Gardens friends. “It seems kind of weird that no one will tell her.”

“Some things are best left unsaid.” Zexion remarks. Unlike Demyx, he hasn’t ever been too interested in Skylar’s other friends. In fact, outside of their little group of miscreants, he’s not interested in anyone else.

“Not this.” Skylar says stubbornly. “Somehow I get the feeling that her mom is someone important; someone who everyone misses and loves dearly.”

“You’ve been wrong before, Sky.” Roxas reminds her. “But I believe you. And even if it isn’t a good idea for her to know who her mom is, she still deserves to know.” Roxas himself had been through something similar a year or two after Leon and Cloud adopted him except with him it was his mother and stepfather who contacted him. They’re the reason Roxas has to stay in Hollow Bastion and isn’t able to go with Skylar to Destiny Gardens. And while he hates the fact that he knows whom his birth parents all, he knows he would have tried to find out one day if they hadn’t found him first.

“How long has your friend been trying to figure it out?” Demyx asks.

“Ever since I’ve known her.” Skylar says softly.

The four fall silent and think about how it’d be if they didn’t know their parents or, for Roxas, if Leon and Cloud hadn’t adopted him. Even Zexion, who rarely spends time with his parents, feels that it wouldn’t be the happiest life.

“Good luck, Skylar.” Zexion finally says, breaking the silence.

Skylar smiles. “Thanks.”

0-0-0

Skylar arrives back in Destiny Gardens late in the evening and reports to Yuffie before doing anything else. She manages to avoid Yuffie’s questions on why she was never told that Kairi was in Hollow Bastion and then she begins the walk to Sorika and Riku’s house.

She gets stopped a few times along the way by some of the guys who were in her weapons class, but other than that her trip is uninterrupted. She soon arrives at the Kagi house and rings the doorbell.

Instead of Riku or Sora answering the door, a man that Skylar has never seen before answers the door. Skylar looks at him in surprise, some part of her brain finding him familiar somehow.

“Hey, Riku, is there a reason why there’s a girl who looks like Cloud out here?” He asks.

A clattering sound is heard and then Riku walks into the hallway while wiping his hands on a dishtowel. “Sora, that’s Sorika’s friend, Skylar. She’s Cloud’s and Leon’s daughter.” He explains. “Skylar, this is Sora Hikari. He’s an old… friend of mine.” His brief hesitation goes unnoticed by Skylar, but Sora notices.

“Is Sorika here?” Skylar finds her voice. She avoids looks at Sora, not wanting to try and figure out why he looks familiar. She knows she needs to focus on getting ready to help Sorika.

“She’s in her room.” Riku says.

Skylar thanks him and brushes by Sora to run quickly to her best friend’s room. She quickly enters the room and shuts the door behind her.

Sorika looks up from the book she’s flipping through and looks curiously at Skylar. “Are you alright?” She asks, getting the feeling that something isn’t right. Skylar’s being much too quiet. “Did something happen in Hollow Bastion?” Her curious look changes to a worried one. While over at Yuffie’s she and Haruko overheard a conversation between Yuffie and Cid about strange things happening at Hollow Bastion.

“Everything’s fine at home.” Skylar says. She crosses the room and sits down beside her friend. “Who’s that guy out there?”

“An old friend of my dad’s from Destiny Island.” Sorika says. “He’s also my keyblade instructor. Why?”

Skylar shrugs, not really wanting to explain it. “It’s nothing.”

Sorika raises an eyebrow, not believing her friend at all. “It’s not ‘nothing’ that is bothering you. What is wrong?”

“He looks familiar.” Skylar admits. “But I know I’ve never seen him before! I just-” She cuts herself off when her eyes land on the book that Sorika is holding. “Naminé’s mom has a yearbook like that.” She scoots a little closer and points to a pretty redhead. “That’s her.”

“Kairi Heartstone.” Sorika reads. “I think I heard Yuffie talking about her once, although I heard the last name ‘Kokoro’ instead of ‘Heartstone’. Hey,” She points to a green-eyed brunette. “There’s aunt Selphie. And Uncle Tidus and Uncle Wakka.”

Skylar hums as her eyes scan over the pages. “There’s your dad.” She peers closely at the picture of a brunet two pictures to Riku’s left. “It that…?”

“Sora Hikari. Yeah.” Sorika nods. “It’s funny; I never noticed how blue his eyes were until I started looking through here.”

“Any luck with the search?” Skylar asks.

Sorika shakes her head. “No. You wouldn’t believe how many girls have blue eyes.”

“Try reading things that people wrote.” Skylar suggests. “He had to have been dating your mom at that time, so wouldn’t it make sense that your mom would have written a really sweet note? And if not, you know Uncle Tidus and Uncle Wakka had to have written a note to tease him about it.”

Sorika’s eyes widen. “Why didn’t I think of that?!” She turns her full attention to the yearbook and eagerly flips to the last three pages reserved for signatures. She laughs when she reads the “conversation” that Tidus and Wakka held before Selphie interrupted them and then at the cute, teasing note that was written by Kairi. Her heart speeds up when she comes across a long one that begins with “My love.” “Here it is.” She breathes.

“Read it out loud.” Skylar suggests. She’s just as eager to find out who it is, but feels it would be sweeter to read the note before seeing the name.

“‘My love,’” Sorika begins reading. “‘I can’t even begin to describe how weird it is to call you that now. We’ll have to thank Kairi one of these days. It’s hard to believe we’re graduating and that just three years ago we were in a completely different world. We’ve come a long way. Here’s to hoping we have a peaceful summer and that we’ll stay together for the rest of time. Love,’” She cuts her sentence short and gapes at the yearbook. “No fucking way.”

Skylar looks at Sorika in concern. It’s very rare that the silver-haired girl curses and when she does it’s usually a bad thing. “What is it? What’s wrong?”

Sorika wordlessly hands Skylar the yearbook to let her friend read it for herself.

0-0-0

Downstairs, Riku and Sora continue the conversation they were having in the kitchen before they were interrupted by Skylar. Riku has caught Sora up on just about everything that has happened since Sora left on King Mickey’s request. Things like how Cid found the world between Destiny Island and Radiant Gardens and how Yuffie named it Destiny Gardens and decided she had to start a specialized school there were the most detailed conversations. After the two get settled in the living room Riku tells Sora about Leon and Cloud getting together and how Skylar is their daughter and they also adopted a boy. He doesn’t dare mention the name of the boy and avoids all of Sora’s questions regarding him. And of course he brings up Selphie and Tidus and their two kids.

While listening to Riku talk about Sorika’s training, Sora comfortably rests his head on Riku’s shoulder and enjoys listening to a voice he’s longed to hear for years. A tidal wave of emotions wash over him and a thousand thoughts and questions dance in his head.

“Sora?” Riku’s silky voice cuts straight through Sora’s thoughts and brings the brunet back to reality.

Sora doesn’t look up, knowing that if he meets Riku’s eyes his resolve will crumble. A voice in his head that sounds suspiciously like his nobody, who he hasn’t heard from in over 13 years, reminds him that just because he still loves Riku it doesn’t mean Riku still loves him.

“Is something wrong?” Riku asks, unused to Sora being so quiet. Before, he and Kairi could hardly ever get Sora to be quiet.

“Nothings wrong, Riku. I’m just thinking.” Sora says.

“Thinking?” Riku’s voice takes on a playful edge. “I had no idea you could think.”

“Riku!” Sora exclaims in mock outrage. He looks up at his friend’s face, but doesn’t look at his eyes.

Riku smirks and taps Sora’s nose. “So-ra.”

Sora makes the mistake of meeting Riku’s sea-green eyes. He feels his resolved weakening and quickly looks away. His mind races for something to say and lands on the one question that’s been bothering him. “Riku, who’s Sorika’s mother?” He regrets asking that question when he feels Riku stiffen and hears him breathe in sharply. He looks up at Riku in worry.

“Sora…” Riku hesitates, for once unsure of what to say. It takes him a minute or two to gather his thoughts enough. In that time, Sora lifts his head from Riku’s shoulder to stare at him with unwavering blue eyes. He remains silent to give Riku time to think.

“Sorika doesn’t have a mother.” Riku continues on, ignoring Sora’s confused look. “She has two fathers.” He looks straight at Sora.

“Who-?” Sora stops talking abruptly and his eyes widen. “Me?” He squeaks almost comically. Riku may have laughed at the look on his face if the situation wasn’t so serious. “I have a daughter? But when? How?” He looks to Riku for answers, even more confused than before.

Riku swallows thickly, although he is starting to find it easier to talk to Sora. “It was the night before you left and as for how,” A slightly amused look crosses his face. “Merlin owed me a favor from when I helped him with something. It only works once.”

“Why didn’t you tell me before now? Why didn’t Yuffie tell me?” Sora demands. “Yuffie can’t keep a secret to save her life! And wait,” He gives Riku a look. “Doesn't that make you Sorika's mother?”

“She never knew for certain, although I’m sure she suspected it.” Riku says. “Leon and Cloud knew. They’ve always been good at getting information from people. Aerith knew too and so did Cid.” He blushes when he comes to Sora's last question. “Technically, yes.”

Sora chooses not to tease Riku about being the 'mother', knowing that Riku can be sensitive about his looks. “So what now?” He asks after a moment of silence. “Are you going to tell her?”

Before Riku can answer, there comes a yell from upstairs from Skylar.

“NO FUCKING WAY!!”

Footsteps pound down the attic stairs and Sorika and Skylar run into the living room. Sorika holds up the yearbook, her blue eyes burning fiercely. She falters slightly when she sees how closely Riku and Sora are sitting, but it also strengthens her resolve.

“I guess she figured it out on her own.” Sora whispers.

“Because someone didn’t put the yearbook away.” Riku whispers back.

“Oh, so now it’s my fault?” Sora looks affronted.

Riku smirks. “Yes.”

Sorika’s anger fades away as she watches her dad’s bicker with one another over whose fault it is that she found out using the old yearbook. Skylar finds the whole thing amusing. Sorika’s always teased her about her own dysfunctional family, so now she gets the chance to tease her friend.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Sorika finally asks after three minutes of hearing her dad’s bicker.

“He was afraid and I had no idea.” Sora replies quite frankly. “So Riku,” He takes his gaze off of his newly discovered daughter to look at Riku. “What now?”

“Well,” Riku slips an arm around Sora’s shoulders. “I think we’d be honored if you’d move in with us. Tonight, preferably.” He looks up and meets Sorika’s surprised gaze. “What do you think?”

Sorika just nods, too excited about finally meeting her other parent to care about the circumstances and that everyone always let her think she had a father and a mother instead of two fathers.

“Don’t mind me.” Skylar says. “I need to get back and talk to Yuffie and explain a few things to her. I’ll let myself out.” She pats Sorika on the shoulder and then leaves without another word, letting the family sort things out for themselves. She’ll have plenty of time to see how things turn out, and being around them makes her miss her own family. “Now I know why Sora looked familiar.” She whispers to herself as she walks away from the house. “Sorika looks like him. She may have Riku’s hair and pale skin, but she has Sora’s build and his eyes.” She looks around and spots the sun sinking over the horizon and casting reds and oranges over the sky. “I’m happy for them.” She looks away from the sunrise and continues to Yuffie’s apartment, taking her time so she can think of what excuse to give Yuffie as to why she was never told about Kairi being in Hollow Bastion.

0-0-0

Shiro: Oh my goddess! (falls over from relief) It's over! Finished! Although the ended changed from what I wanted it to be, but I'm glad for it.

Bast: Am I going to be amused over how many people want a sequel?

Shiro: (shudders) Goddess, I hope not. I want to get to work on that other KH fanfiction. As of now I have no plans for a sequel to this story.


Here's a big THANK YOU!!! to everyone who reviewed, put the fanfic on your favorites list or put the fanfic on your alert list.