Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ If This Cat Could Talk... ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

If This Cat Could Talk…
By: Ellipsis the Great
DISCLAIMER: Kingdom Hearts and everything affiliated with it belongs to SquareEnix and Disney. All I own is the plot…
Summary: Axel's therapist suggests that he get a cat to help him get over an accident involving his little brother's best friend. It doesn't take him long to realize that strange things are afoot, however…
Rated: T just in case. May change later on.
Spoilers: None that I know of…
Warnings: Definite yaoi on the horizon, a little angst (obviously), and I suppose I should point out that this is AU…
 
~*~*~*~*~*~
 
CHAPTER ONE: Prologue
 
Sora Arsalan was my little brother's friend. His best friend, y'know? The kind of friend where if one of `em had a single piece of gum and the other didn't, they'd rip that piece of gum out of their mouth and share half of it with the other. That kind of friend. The best kind.
People tell me that's why I took everything so hard, but that isn't it. I think they know that—I know they fucking know it—but are just trying to make me feel better about it.
I wish they would just fucking stop and tell me the truth that everyone knows:
It was my fault.
 
~PAGEBREAKPAGEBREAKPAGEBREAK~
 
New Years Day, 1998. A day that will live in infamy in Twilight Town.
Riku, my little brother, calls it the day the sun went out.
I can't blame him. He and Sora have always been friends. I was pretty close to them myself, for all that I was three years older than Riku and four years older than Sora. I probably wouldn't have shared gum with either of them, but that's just because I'm a selfish bastard and always have been. Nothing against them.
But I was always there for them, and Sora was always there for us.
When our mom died in childbirth with a premature sister who never stood a chance, Sora was there. He cried with us, he went through pictures with us, and he helped us make sure our dad didn't drink himself to death.
For a while, he was the only one who believed that last bit was possible.
When Dad finally got out of the 12-step program, he tried to be a good dad. And even though he's never gone back to the man he was before Mom died, he's done a pretty good job.
But that only has a little to do with what I did to Sora.
I was just about to turn sixteen (my birthday is January the eighth), and the boys were twelve and thirteen. It was just after midnight on New Year's Eve—which made it New Year's Day, like I said earlier—and we had always had a tradition of having a New Year's party at our house, save the one year after our mom died. Sora's parents were usually there, but had had to go out of town for some reason or another, so Sora was going to spend the night.
This is where things get bad.
I brought up something that I felt the two of them should talk about. I had figured it out that my dear baby brother is gay (he's sickeningly obvious about it sometimes, especially when it comes to Sora), and kept telling him to tell Sora, but he refused. I had known for a few weeks, and he had known since just before summer.
There was a huge fight—not so much about Sora freaking out about his best friend being gay. It was more like he was upset that he hadn't been told sooner.
Once they'd screamed themselves hoarse, I suggested that I drive Sora around for a while so he could cool off. I couldn't let him go off on his own (he's way too cute and we don't live in the best neighborhood), but I also wanted to talk to him. And no, I didn't have my license yet. That was all my teenage arrogance or overeager-ness or something along those lines. As for why I wanted to talk to him…well, someone's gotta get these kids to wake up and realize they like each other as more than friends. I was trying to be a good older brother.
Instead, I practically killed Sora.
Matchmaking or not—teenager or not—no one but no one goes driving New Years morning. No one except crack heads or drunkards. We ran into the latter.
Well, more like he ran into us.
That bastard of a drunk died. I came out without a scratch, Sora ended up in the hospital.
He's been asleep ever since. I haven't driven ever since. Riku's hardly looked at me ever since.
Welcome to my life, January of 2008.
 
~*~ENDPROLOGUE~*~