Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Let's Be Happy ❯ Let's Be Happy ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

let's be HAPPY.

the melancholy of a metronome
ONE : SHOT
by kurumi
 
Her friends had always warned her about him. Especially Riku, but she only smiled and told them she was smart. Orette knew better than to hang out, or become infatuated with people that were going to cause her trouble. She told them that the fact he was cute and popular with the female gender had nothing to do with it. But Riku tried talking her out of it again, telling her she was seeing what was only skin deep, but she only laughed and told him that she wasn't like that. Roxas knew that, and that was the problem. He went to Roxas's best friend, someone he rarely talked to, Hayner for help. Only Hayner tilted his head at Riku telling him that Roxas was happy, and that was all that mattered; that both Roxas and Orette were happy. But Riku wasn't happy.
The worse part was when Orette sometimes ate with Roxas, Pence and Hayner for lunch; Sora, Kairi and no one else ever seemed to mind the way he did. They all knew she was smart enough, and Roxas wasn't that bad a guy. He argued with them that they had warned her too, but they only giggled and told them he was jealous. He sneered at them, realizing that they were right. He was indeed jealous.


It killed him watching her eat everyday watching him from across the table. Only Riku continued on without every saying anything to her about it. The only words he would ever get to her were: “Hey, Orette.” She would only look behind, wave, and smile- then she ran back to Roxas, embracing his arm— and it only hurt worse.
 
x x x
It was already almost a year since Roxas and Orette had began going out, and slowly it ate at him. He would catch glimpses at them holding hands, but when he first caught them kissing on the bench in back of school, he felt his insides blow up and he clenched his hand, resisting the instinct to punch Roxas into the stratosphere. But when he saw them both release and Orette smile he felt himself go calm. Her smile came before his jealousy. But he was still sure, that if she were with him, her smile would be some much happier. He can only hide in-between the emerald folds of the tree that he watches them from.
He thinks to himself, that this might be the first time he cries, until he sees them again and forces the droplets back in. He feels a little more of himself fade away, and it's more than he can handle.
x x x
 
It was another half a year, and as Riku observes, Roxas begins to change. He knows why, even if no one else does. Before when Roxas and Orette were seen, holding hands, or Orette firmly planted on his arm, giggling… But now, whenever she tried to grab onto him he would look down on her and brush her off. Even when they kissed it only seemed like she was the only one pouring her heart out. Roxas had someone else on his mind.
Their friend Naminé for the last half-year had been sick with terminal cancer, and had died from it three months before. Riku had never seen them interact, physically, but in every glance they were holding each other. Naminé and Roxas had the chemistry that he and Orette would never have. Riku knew it, even if no one else did. Riku knew he wasn't trying to force this idea out of jealousy, but that it was actually true. Roxas was dying on the inside because of it.
Roxas wasn't any of his business but Orette was. No matter how much Naminé was his friend; he didn't want her hurting Orette; even in her death Roxas was in love with her, and pushing Orette away. Watching Orette try and bring herself closer to the Roxas that was fading away just ate Riku. It always killed him when Orette would smile for only him, and give him her words of encouragement. “Let's be happy.” She knew exactly what Riku knew, that Orette was no longer really his. But still, her official ambition: “Let's be happy.” She was taking her own sadness, and turning it into happiness, and Roxas had the nerve to push her away.
x x x
It was late winter; Christmas Eve to be exact, six months after Naminé had died. Orette and Roxas made their own path down the snowy sidewalks. They browsed through all the windows elaborately decorated in the eccentric themes of green and red. They made Orette happy, and she told this to Roxas, but he only shrugged as Orette's arm was wrapped loosely in his, and he adjusted his scarf. Orette's expression wasn't glowing like it had when she looked into the windows, anymore. Orette released her arm from Roxas and he gradually turned down to her. He wore a frown, like he had for the past six months, and she only whispered. “Go ahead of me.” He quirked his eyebrow but gave it little thought and began a pace ahead of the chocolate haired girl.
Her thoughts rested on the blonde, and as the first cold tear of her winter cascaded from her eyelash, she knew he wasn't thinking of her. Her only thoughts about him, as she watched him fade into the snowy crowds, let's be happy, only a natural ambition… or would you rather stay unhappy another day, then go ahead of me. Orette had suddenly come up with an answer to her pilgrimage with Roxas. He had been walking ahead of her way before the death of her dear friend, Naminé.
x x x
Orette finished her way up the steps and continued over to the door. With a light knock, she made the noise upon the large oak door— No reply. “Roxas?” She added, eventually opening up the door. There was no one. Stepping in completely, she shut the door behind her. She walked into the main living room, but again, he wasn't there. She repeated this and finally stepped into the last room, his room. She shifted the loose doorknob and slowly opened up the door, as not to invade too much of his space, only this was after she'd searched his whole house. The only thing, the only sound she could make out through the whole house was the distinctive ticking of metronome.
Tick tock! Tick tock! The hand of the metronome strikes back in forth in a slow tempo, distinctly in mezzo forte. The sound easily begins to annoy Orette; bringing her back the days of concert band class. Quietly she stepped in and there he was, shirtless sitting against the wall of his bedroom. He looked from the side of his eyes to see her figure, and he effortlessly stood afterwards. He looked sick— Orette took her hand from her glove and promptly stuck it on his forehead. He had a fever. “Roxas, you should get into bed!”
“No,” He said quietly, and unexpectedly he pushed Orette against the wall with a good amount of force behind him. She dropped her bag, looking at him amazement. His dejected cerulean eyes were on her distracted malachite. She flinched as she struck his right hand next to her cheek, but she knew he wasn't trying to hit her. She watched a struggle go on inside of him, when he finally took Orette in a hungry kiss. Before she knew it, she was hungrily kissing back, in equal passion. It had been months since she'd felt his lips on hers. While he reached for the buttons of her shirt, she heard the metronome in the back of her head again.
x x x
While they both lay, tangled in perspired sheets, their clothes scattered along the floor, Roxas could hear the faint of Orette crying. He frowned and sat up, looking upon the chocolate mess, feeling a weight gather on his shoulders for what they'd just done. He touched her cheek with his fingers and she flinched. He heard her exhale sharply from her muffled cries, to mumble out. “R-Roxxaaaas…” It slithers out of her throat, but the words are hard to say. “I'm... I'm…” She cried out loudly and exhales sharply again. “Roxas, I-I'm not NAMINÉ!” She cries out burying her face in her lap, only, she isn't only crying for herself, but for Roxas as well. She pulls the sheet around herself, and sits up, placing both her hands on the sides of his face so that he'll look at her directly.

”Roxas, it isn't fair.” She said firmly catching their eyes together, and she takes in a breath, while making sure he keeps his eyes on her. “Why couldn't you just tell me you loved Naminé?” It takes the courage she didn't want to have to continue on. “Why did you have to string me along?” Her own eyes moved away from his as she released his face from her grasp, and she stood. She piled on her clothes, emphasizing each word as she did so. “I. Am. NOT. Naminé.” She sighs, and reaches her hand into his messy hair. “If you were going to love someone else. Fine. If you were going to love Naminé, one of my best friends, it's painful, but also fine. Now, loving her, not telling me about it, still letting me believe it was
you and me…” She chocked on a tear.
“Roxas,” She looked down at him. “You know you don't love me.” She only left him a kiss on the forehead. “I love you Roxas, Merry Christmas,” With that she walked from his room, leaving him alone to the sound of a metronome.

Tick tock! Tick tock!

x
x x
Orette hurried down the stairs, and out of his house, and doubted she'd ever come back in again. It was already raining again. Orette looked down at her shoes and stepped into the rain. “I can't believe I didn't bring an umbrella.” She sniffled. She looked around, and the only shelter in sight was a tree about as big as Roxas' house. She decided that she would take shelter there until the rain stopped. She only wanted home, but she didn't need to catch a cold on Christmas Eve. She walked under the large branched surroundings of the heavy oak tree. She leaned against the scratchy tree, bark sticking out poking into her back.
After a few moments Orette began to cry again. She buried her face into her hands, and gradually slid down the tree, until she reached the grassy floor. Her cries were muffled by the sound of both the rain and the metronome that she could clearly hear in the back of her mind. “Let's be h-happy.” She cried, and she could never remember the sound of a metronome being so melancholy.

Tick tock! Tick tock!
“….Orette?” Came a soft voice. Orette blinked into her hands, and eventually looked up, and her cries became more of chokes than muffles. “Riku?” He was holding an umbrella, and his words flowed out melodiously.
“Do you want to see a brighter day?” He smiled while putting his hand out for her to take. “Then look this way, at me, or would you rather stay unhappy?” His smile was warm― Something Orette hadn't seen in so long. Orette's last tears slid down her face, and she stood, gradually taking his hand. Riku smiled, beckoning to her. “Firmly. With both hands.”
Riku laughed. “We've taken some detours,” Orette smiled again, and she said. “Excuses are useless.”
The both smile through the rain, hearing the Tick tock! Tick tock! of the metronome no longer. “Let's be happy,” The both recited.
Our official ambition!
 
m i s c e l l a n e o u s :
Hey, there. RIKETTE― It's love, isn't it? I am in LOVE with Rikette.
Now, what did you think of this? I'm hoping it was okay,
because I'm not sure yet. But this is for;

TO THE AWESOME CAKIES;;

Felly Cakes & Fuji Cakes, or Ninja Butterfliie & Asteira, cause they're awesome.
RAWR. You guys are awesome! SUPER SPECIAL LOVE CAKE ATTACK!

& To the rest of you? Worship our world of cakes. <3
R e a d & R e v i e w