Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Rest In Peace ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A.N: In my Junior year of high school we had to take finals I had written this for the creative writing final. The test gave you two starter sentences and I had picked: "I knew it was going to be an unusual day when my mom came into my bedroom and said..."It was really fun writing this that day so i memorized what I wrote and rewrote it in a notebook.
I knew it was going to be an unusual day when my mom came into my bedroom and said, "YOUR COUSIN CAN'T REST IN PEACE UNTIL YOU AND HIM MAKE UP!"
I was floored by my mother's outburst. I just stood there, stalk still with my shirt over my head. My mother, Aerith, always gave me and my twin brother the creeps. She'd always come out of nowhere with weird statements scaring us out of our wits. When I had finally gotten enough money to go to college she wailed that I couldn't go out of state because the spirits willed it.
What my father Cloud saw in my mother I will never know and will never ask. Because the answer is far beyond me. Recently my cousin, Sora Valentine, had died by getting hit by a car while crossing the 1 & 9. Auntie Tifa was devastated and since Sora's passing she had become over protective of Vanitas, my other cousin and Sora's twin brother. We were so close, as if he were another little brother. But I had stopped hanging around with him after I started college. He died at such a young age, Sora was just seven years younger than me.
There was only so much a twenty four year old college junior like me can handle. After my mother was done telling me to look out for Sora's wandering spirit and what to do if I see him, it's my responsibility, yada yada yada. I called my younger twin brother Roxas.
"Hey Roxy, hows it goin'?"
He was the lucky one and pursued his dream of drawing out in New York. Away from our slightly crazed mom.
"I'm great Ven. How's mom and dad?"
I sighed as frustration took over me.
"Dad's good but mom...she's off her rocker again Roxas."
I heard my twin chuckle over the phone.
"What'd she say this time?"
I began pacing back and forth, I knew my brother would have a kick outta this one.
"Mom...Mom said Sora can't rest in peace till I make up with him."
There was an awkward silence, for a few minutes, I thought he hung up on me.
"Okay that's not funny Ventus."
Okay so I was wrong no humor could be heard in my brother's voice. I stopped in front of a window in my room. The sky was so clear today.
"I know, but you can't just expect me to believe what mom says."
We both sighed at the same time causing Roxas to giggle, he always thought it was funny when we did or say the same thing at the same time.
"Just forget about what she said for now, ok Ven?"
"Alright see ya on Saturday Roxy."
I ended the call and proceeded to get my gear for school. Some how I kinda feel like it's my fault Sora died. If only I hadn't had that argument with him that day...would he still be here? Images of Sora and that day flooded my mind,my thoughts, his face, my emotions and his tears.
0-0-0-0-0-0
I don't like it, I don't like this at all. Sora doesn't know what he wants or what he's doing. What the hell does he think hes doing going out with someone a bit older than me. This is crazy! Whats even crazier is that it's my best friend what...the...fuck?
I thought as I looked down on Sora. He was frowning and you could see it in his eyes that he was upset and angry. His hands fists at his sides.
"Sora you're crazy what the hell do you think your doing going out with Terra? Do you realize how old he is?"
Sora looked down and stayed quiet just shaking his head.
"Look at me in the eyes and ANSWER me Sora!"
I gritted my teeth together, trying and failing to stay calm while talking to the seventeen year old before me.
"I...um...I like him Ven and he uh...he spends time with me. I think he car-"
"Fuck that shit Sora, you know Terra could he thrown in jail for dating a minor aka YOU! And if uncle Vincent found out of your relationship with my friend he'd kill Terra and you'd just make problems for Vanitas."
I was not one to normally curse but this little "fight" was getting to me.
"YOU THINK I DON'T KNOW THAT?"
My eyes narrowed, No no no no no, Sora did not just yell at me.
"Watch it Valentine."
"I'm not gonna listen to you Ventus. He spends more time with me than you have since you started college. You don't even text me anymore."
Confusion settled into my head.
"Wha...What? Is that what all this is about?"
"N-No its not. I'm done talking with you and you better not tell my dad Ventus."
"You can't tell me what to do Sora and where do you think you're going? I'm not done with you."
"I'm gonna go see Terra."
He slammed the door to my room and I could hear him run down the stairs. Another slam of the front door signaled that my baby cousin was gone.
0-0-0-0-0-0
School was just school, but my mind couldn't get over what my mother had said of Sora. Could she be right? I mean she wasn't wrong about the spirits not wanting me to leave because, I had momentarily given her the slip one time and decided to bunk with Zexion in another college. The week I stayed there strange things had happened. Things that made me wonder if maybe Aerith had put a curse upon me to never leave her side since I was the first born son. I was currently in a McDonald's that was next to a nail salon on Broad street eating a Big Mac with fries, a medium drink of raspberry iced tea and some ketchup mixed with mayo for my fries sat in front of me.
Nothing like looking outside and watching people walk by the side windows of McDonald's. Yup this was the life. I looked down at my half eaten Big Mac and my fries. A giggle from the chair facing me caught my attention. I looked up so fast that whiplash was my reward.
"MOTHER...GOD DARN IT!"
I held onto my neck as the giggles turned into full blown laughter.
"Jeez Ven did you wanna see me again that bad?"
My eyes widened as the pain in my neck slowly disappeared. There was no way my mother could have been right. Sora's unmistakable smirk and bright eyes stared back at me.
"B-Baby coz?"
His smirk widened.
"In the flesh. Well not really but you know what I mean."
I suddenly felt light headed and faint.
"This can't be real." I whispered as I felt myself fall to the side and my vision grow dark.