Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ The Tune in Darkness ❯ Darkness Born ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

This contains story will contain major spoilers for the video game Kingdom Hearts II. For every chapter I will tell you where you should be in the game. I suggest that until you have beaten the game, or unless you could care less about spoilers, don't read this story. If you complain in a review, I'll just remind you whose fault it is.
 
There are really no spoilers in this chapter, so everyone should be ok.
 
 
 
The Tune in Darkness
 
Darkness.

It's the first thing I remember. It's the first thing I saw when I opened my eyes.

Or maybe my eyes have not yet opened, and this is just a depressing dream.

But I know my eyes are open, because every so often I see the glow of moonlight eyes and hear the sounds of slow shuffling.

I didn't remember anything before I was aware of the Darkness. Was I born here? Could I have been created in this depressing place?

How long I've been here, I'm not quite sure. It feels as if an entire eternity has passed since I awakened, yet I feel no fatigue.

Eating; sleeping; breathing. Somewhere in the back of my mind I know I need these functions to survive, yet I am still alive.

Am I even alive? Maybe true Darkness needs only itself to live.

I don't know how far the Darkness stretches, for I can say I have not moved an inch since I awoken. The most I have moved was in the very beginning, when I turned my head from side to side to observe my surroundings. This is useless now, for everywhere is the same.

I suppose the doorway out could be just an arm's reach from me, but somewhere I have found fear for these creatures that sometimes crowd around me.

These creatures with the yellow eyes.

Keyblade...

Maybe there is no way out.

Hearts...

These creatures...sometimes they surrounded me in swarms, their yellow eyes the only thing I can really see. They constantly move, surrounding me in endless sound, but sometimes under their movements I hear words, as if they're speaking to me.

Sora...

They often mention a Sora, whose name clicks in my mind like a lost puzzle piece. I feel this swell inside me whenever they whisper that name among each other. Maybe I knew someone by that name.

But that's impossible. I've only known the Darkness, and these creatures that dwell in it.

Light...

Light. I've never seen it but I know exactly what it is. It's the very opposite of Darkness, of what I'm swimming in. I want to see Light so much it almost hurts. I want to see something besides Darkness.

Why do I ache so much? If I was truly meant to see Light, why was I born here, in this endless black?

I want to see Light, but by now, after see nothing but Darkness, I've realized that I was never meant to view such a thing. I was condemned here for a reason, what ever it may be, and I will accept that.

Sins...

Sins...I'm here because of my sin.

Envy...

I watch as these dark creatures appear around me, slithering closer than they every have before. They are not large creatures; at least their eyes are not very far from the ground where I sit.

Am I sitting, or am I just floating in a pool of nothingness?

A chill runs through me when one of them finally touches me. What feel like tiny claws grasp my wrist, scrapping lightly against my skin.

Maybe they were just waiting for me to realize there is no use fighting in this place.

Something collides against my chest, but because they are not large it does nothing but cause me to lean back. A pair of yellow eyes stares inches from me, and it suddenly feels like something is trying to rip through my chest.

Then, suddenly, there is Light.

I saw only a glimpse of the creatures retreating before I shut my eyes and turned my head. Even though my reaction had been a quick one, I could still see spots against my eyelids.

Light was before me, something I had wanted since it was first muttered here in the Darkness, yet I'm turning my head away?

Even if I become blind from such a drastic change, I can still feel satisfied.

Slowly I turned my head back, eyes open just a little. My vision becomes blurred from tears of aggravation, but I will not shut my eyes. I may never see Light again.

The Light was shinning through the Darkness in the shape of an oval, and to my greatest surprise I saw the silhouette of a figure standing in the middle. It wasn't until the figure took a step forward did I realize how close the Light was to me. Only a few steps and I would be trampled over.

For the first time since I awakened here, I lifted my arms to try and reach out. My wrists were heavy, and as I slid my arms forward I heard the sound of hard metal scrapping against a surface. When my hands finally came in front of me, just black silhouettes against the Light, I noticed something was wrapped around the base of my hands around my wrists, and round chains hung in the air under my hands.

A small flash appeared right above my vision, causing me to look up, squinting my eyes as small as possible. The figure was still there, but another silhouette now connected to them. It was a long, sleek object, and the end came done before ending in a point.

A small glow suddenly formed around the tip of the object before a stream of Light suddenly shot towards me. For a brief second I thought it was aimed to injure me, but it hit the bands around my left wrist instead. I heard a faint click before the band around my wrist suddenly turned into many small particles before slowly disappearing. I watched as the chains began to go through the same transformation before they finally ran up the chains to my other hand, where that band was disconnected.

After turning my hands back and forth in awe, I looked up at the person before me. My eyes had slowly begun to adjust to the Light, but it still hurt to see, and all I could see was a black silhouette.

I heard the rustling of fabric before the Light in front of me showed the movement of an arm being raised, before a hand was held out in front of me.

This body stood before me, bathed in Light like an angel come down to save me, hand out stretched. The dust particles of the chains were still floating in the air, adding to the beauty. For the first time my nose could smell something, and though I could not tell what it was, I immediately found myself drawn to it.

Memorized by what was before me, I slowly lifted my hand up to grasp the one that was offered to me.