Legend Of Dragoon Fan Fiction ❯ The Legend of Dragoon II ❯ Past, Present, and Future ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
___________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________
Chapter 1) Past, Present, and Future.

The year was now 1079 of the New Age of Revelations, almost two months remained until the new year. The legendary battle between Melbu Frahma and the Dragoons became common knowledge of the elderly, making them great storytellers. The clash was also called "The Second Dragon Campaign". Stories of the heroic clash were passed down through generations, and told by the storytellers of each village.

The heritage lines of the heroes of yore, the Dragoons, had seemed to have disappeared, along with the fabled Dragoon Spirits. Either the dragoons themselves hid them, to prevent the power from falling into wrong hands again, or they disappeared with the sands of time. All would have seemed just like some wonderful dream, if it hadn't been for the Soanites, the followers of the Great Creator. The masses had increased trifold since the beginning of the New Age. They continued plundering for the cause of the creator to refulfill his will. The peace and calmness that came when the Dragoons fought for the survival of the world had nearly diminished. Tensions were flaring, and harbored angers were coming out to the open. The world was on the brink of war.

The geography of the world had changed a bit, to the point of the barrens becoming a scene of lush greenery, thanks to Nello, the gardener in Fletz, and some of the unforgiving Death Frontier turning into an oasis paradise, with the unusual rain amounts going to it. Situations in Fletz, in Tiberoa, were uncertain, for the rains also came there, making the town flood often. The area in the Death Frontier was settled by groups of migrants from the cold Mille Seasau, seeking more warmth. The capital city of the desert/oasis was still small, but more people came every day. The town that served as capital was called Heidra, and it was a bustling center of commerce. Many cities formed around it, including Madant, Corni, Urup, Liily, and Gerth. One city was located only miles from the site of the battle of "The Second Dragon Campaign", the Divine Tree ruins. It was named Dranc, after the exploring migrant who founded it. It became known as "The City of Children", since expecting mothers traveled there. The situation of the city was perfect for child upbringing. Pure water, moist soil, and the freshest air were all attributed to it.

On a morning, almost like any other, a boy of about age 16 named Orrin, garbed in a white/green desert traveling turban and gown, wandered out of the city of Dranc, in search of some valuables, which had recently started to be uncovered in the sands. He was of medium height and had short, dusty blonde hair. Orrin would have stopped to look around, but today, something dragged him onward. He didn't know what, but it kept a firm grip. After walking about seven miles in the desert area, he thought he started to see mirages. He could have sworn he saw a lake, and a single tree standing over it. The force kept dragging him towards the lake.

He reached the lake within minutes, and upon arrival, he squatted next to the lake and took many handfuls of water. Orrin immediately noticed that the water had a taste unlike anything before. It tasted so pure, it made the water of his village taste like mud. There also seemed to be a magical essence coming from the wavering pool. When Orrin got up and looked around, he noticed the lone tree again. This time, he realized that this was the site where the Divine Tree once stood, with the Moon that Never Sets in its arms. He learned this from the village storyteller, who often went into fine detail about the subject. He walked toward the tree, not realizing that the force was dragging him there, but when he tried to stop, he found he was still moving, so whatever led him out here was by that tree.

The tree seemed to be only fifteen feet high. If what the storyteller told him was true, there would have been about eleven other "trees" and be at least forty feet high. Orrin finally reasoned that it must've been sand drifts, seeing no other reasonable option. The next thing Orrin felt was a compellingness to dig. To dig and keep digging until he found something. But, before he fully squatted, he thought, "Maybe this would be easier if there was a wind to blow away the s....." His thought was cut off as a giant downburst made him fall on his back. The giant burst of wind had burrowed beneath many layers of sand, leading to something that was about twenty or thirty feet down. Curious, Orrin slid down the slope, to whatever would meet him at the bottom. As he reached the bottom, he found two dusty stones, one more colorful than the other. He wanted to wipe the dust off of himself, but the revelation of the stones shocked him into paralysis. In his right hand, he held a polished red stone, and in his left, a polished purple, almost black, stone. It made him immidiately begin to think of a story he had heard from the storyteller.

"The great heroes of the second campaign each had a very finely polished stone. That was the source of their great power, what made them Dragoons. The souls of the dragons inside the stones chose each of them to be their weilder. The heroes would hold their stone in their hands, and it would glow, it would glow brightly, like a new sun!"........ As the thoughts echoed in Orrin's head, he thought if a force made him find the stones, maybe he could use one. First he tried the left hand. The purple caught his attention more, but it was to no avail, the stone didn't shine. Then he went to the right hand, but that one wouldn't shine either. A little disheartened, Orrin pocketed the stones and began to remember something else he had heard the storyteller say. "You may think I know alot, but nobody knows more than the ruler of the Crystal Palace of Deningrad in Mille Seseau."

Orrin knew what he had to do. He had to go to the land of his ancestors, and learn more about the Dragoons. Little did he know, the war was about to break out in the main countries. The war would be so fierce, that no one would be able to stop it after it began. Orrin climbed out of the hole using the tree, and started his way back home to start packing and to find anyone to accompany him to Mille Seseau.